PDA

View Full Version : Lineage research on Poon Dik and his teacher Leung Gwai needed! Please assist!

kukulcan
08-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Hello CLF practitioners! It has been a couple of years since I have posted on here (the last was inquiring on Ching Jong plans, and I have since made a couple, and can assist anyone wanting to know how to do it), as I had an Operation Iraqi Freedom deployment, changes in civilian employment and moving my household! Needless to say I have been busy!

I never quit practicing CLF and have even continued to further my studies in another lineage. I have also opened a currently private classes only school in my local area, as there are no Chinese arts around me whatsoever. There is a desire for it, so I am "testing the waters" so to speak with private students only, in hopes to train a couple of solid assistant instructors in about a year. After a year if all goes well, I will have a storefront school and will bring authentic Kung Fu to my city!

With that said, I have taken the last few months to study up, and fill the gaps in my knowledge of my lineage and have come to a roadblock when it comes to Poon Sing, and his instructor Leung Gwai (sometimes spelled Gui or Kwai). I need to know the following of each, if the information is available:

1. Years of birth and death
2. Where their respective schools were located
3. Various neat stories about them
4. and if it is available, a photo of Leung Gwai

I am a graphic designer in my profession, and would like to create a cool looking lineage chart, showing each teacher's picture and a little history about each. I want to make one for my Sifu, as well as one to frame and place in my future school. I know there are some very knowledgeable people on these forums, and would greatly appreciate the help!

CLFNole
08-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Poon Sing did not learn from Leung Kwai. Poon Dik (his father) followed him (think you just had a typo). Poon Dik also followed Wong Fook Wing. Wong Fook Wing and Leung Kwai both followed Chan Koon Pak and Leung Kwai also followed Jeung Yim.

As to where there schools were in the Kwantung area I don't know. I do know that Poon Dik had a number of schools in China before moving to Hong Kong. Leung Kwai's nephew, Leung Siu Kuen was also a teacher in Hong Kong.

I have seen a photo of Poon Dik and Leung Siu Kuen but never any photos of Wong Fook Wing or Leung Kwai.

Best of luck.

kukulcan
08-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Sorry, I did mean Pook Dik, and not his son Poon Sing. I don't know why I did that! I appreciate your response and am thankful for the knowledge you share. I have read many of yours and Franks posts on lineage concerns and have learned a good deal, and confirmed what was orally told to me by matching it up with what is said here.

I have emailed the Hung Sing Choy Lay Fut Poon Tik (Hong Kong) Memorial Association, found here: http://poondik.org/Poondik/About_Us.html in trying to find out when Master Poon Dik lived, where he trained under Leung Gwai, and when he trained through his schools in China. These are the details I am looking for if they exist. I have yet to receive any response back from the association, and it has been a couple of months.

I am also looking for the same details for Leung Gwai, specifically when he lived, and when and where he trained under his Sifu, and when and where he trained his students.

hskwarrior
08-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Yeah, me too. I'm interested in learning more about Leung Kwai's connection to Jeung Yim. :)

CLFNole
08-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Well at least the website has a picture of Poon Dik and when he trained with Lueng Kwai (1904-1914). This website was put together not that long ago as I remember them calling and telling us about this and the Poon Dik Memorial Assn.

Good luck with your research.

kukulcan
08-03-2011, 11:03 AM
If you get any more information from the Poon Dik Memorial Association, I would be eternally in your debt if you could share!

From what you and hskarrior have posted about lineages on these forums, would either of you know if Sifu Sam Ng's lineage would be considered Chan Family as it traces its roots like so...

Chan Koon Pak -> Fong Yuk Shu -> To Hong Cheung -> Sam Ng

I know they call themselves Hung Sing, but know there are up to four Hung Sing lineages right? What is the difference between them all? Thanks!

CLFNole
08-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Sifu Sam's lineage would be Hung Sing since it would be Chan Koon Pak's hung sing. I believe it is 3 hung sing's: Chan Hueng's hung sing (direct family line), Chan Koon Pak's hung sing (Chan Family if you will but not through the family line) and Jeong Yim's hung sing. The 4th you might be thinking of is Tam Sam's buk sing, which originated from Jeung Yim's hung sing.

My CLF through LKH is said to be both Chan Koon Pak's line and Jeung Yim's line but as Frank and I have discussed we are more from Chan Koon Pak's side from what I can tell...at least regarding the various forms and sets.

Peace.

kukulcan
08-03-2011, 01:44 PM
So you are LKH as well! My lineage is as follows:

Chan Heung -> Jeong Yim -> Leung Gwai -> Poon Dik -> Poon Sing -> Lee Koon Hung -> Tat Mau Wong -> Santanu Rahman

My Sifu, Santanu also knows the following lineage, of which I am currently working on:

Chan Heung -> Chan Koon Pak -> Fong Yuk Shu -> To Hon Cheung -> Sam Ng -> Santanu Rahman

Are you one of the fortunate students that learned from Lee Koon Hung himself?

CLFNole
08-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Yes I learned from him and have been an instructor with the school for many years. Your sifu and I know each other as he has contacted me several times to pick my brain about things regarding our lineage.

The only thing your lineage isn't quite accurate is about Poon Sing being Lee Koon Hung's sifu.

kukulcan
08-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Are you referencing that he trained under a total of five masters, not just Poon Sing? I would like to know more!

CLFNole
08-03-2011, 04:21 PM
There is a bit more to the story but his primary teachers early on were Leung Sai and Chow Bing, who were his sihings when Poon Dik passed away. When he was older he learned some of the more advanced forms in our curriculum from his sisuk So Kam Fook. He then also learned northern kung fu from Shek Kin.

I would suggest you talk to your sifu and let him know you spoke with me and see what he tells you.

kukulcan
08-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Will do! I greatly appreciate you sharing your knowledge!

CLFNole
08-03-2011, 04:39 PM
If you ever have questions feel free to PM me if you need to.

aussie1981
08-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Silly question maybe but are these guy's related to poon larm?

CLFNole
08-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Not sure. I know Poon Sing as a brother but he was and police and not a kung fu guy. There is also a CLF sifu called Poon Fun but no relation. Likely just the same surname.

Aussie, are you a student of Sifu Nick?

hskwarrior
08-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Poon Lum was the MAN! well known for his kicks.

aussie1981
08-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Nah mate, trained under Vince cordeiro and George Michelson;) Aloso did some casual training with franco and Dom on a thursday night before Fracon left Oz.

Got to love guy's like Poon Lum and Kong Hing who are/were built like twig's but can snap ya in half.

CLFNole
08-06-2011, 12:15 PM
I don't know them but George and Franco were students of Sifu Dave Lacey, correct?

aussie1981
08-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Yeah they're students of both the Lacey's when they were teaching together here in perth, Vince wore the red sash as top student and came second in the last South East Asia tournament back in 82.:cool: