PDA

View Full Version : Getting started

BoardinVT1
02-13-2001, 05:23 AM
Heyhey, just wanted to say that this is my first post in this forum, and it's good to finaly be registered (long time listner, first time poster).
Anyway, on with the message.
I have been very interested in Chinese Martial arts for several months now, but my knowledge in the field is limited to say the least. I am 17 and preparing to chose where I will go to college next year (this will also be the area where I will begin my training) and I was wondering which of the areas that I have narrowed it down to will provide me with the best opportunity to start a promising MA career. So it would be a huge help if you Kung Fu veterans could rate the following areas (on something like a 1-10 scale, or however else you feel like doing it) by the number and quality of Kung Fu schools they contain.
-New York (Colombia)
-Washington DC (Gerogetown, and George Washington)
-Saint Louis (Washington U)
-Colorado Springs (Colorado College)
-Chicago (Chicago U)
Again, any advice would be a huge help, thanks
:)

whitelion
02-13-2001, 05:26 AM
Hi, I am new to the forum too. Hello everyone.

I'm sorry I can't help with where to go - I'm in OZ :).

Talk softly and carry a big stick.

brassmonkey
02-13-2001, 08:18 AM
I'd say out of your list of cities NYC would be top then maybe Chicago, however had you listed San Fransisco it'd be a tossup for #1 with NYC for Chinese martial arts. Good luck and welcome to the board ;)

HuangKaiVun
02-13-2001, 02:39 PM
It's not where you go or who your teacher is or even what style you do, it's how you practice.

No matter what school you train in, you have to be able to take your fighting sets and use them against resisting opponents.

I'd also get into college FIRST before ruling in or ruling out an area.

BoardinVT1
02-13-2001, 04:46 PM
First of all, let me say that I am taking this very seriously, and I do intend to show nothing but the most serious comitment towards my training. At the moment I am working on my phisical condition, so I will be at least somewhat prepared when I do find a school. My current routine consists of 2 hours of crew a day(for strength and endurence) and one hour of stretching and flexability training. Also, I know it's a little early to be picking a spot, I'm just currious.

gumyilo
02-13-2001, 05:02 PM
I'm from NY so I only know about NY, There are alot of schools in NYC but you might need to travel 1/2 and hour to 2 hours depending where you go and what you want to study. China Town is always a good place to start looking for schools and so is Flushing (that's the 7 train last stop)
I could post a list of schools and have everyone rate them for you based on the web site?

"There are no shortcuts in Kung Fu only long days of Hard Ward."

Goktimus Prime
02-14-2001, 05:56 AM
I read your profile.

Is Chee Kim Thong (sp?) any relation to master James Chee?

Cheers. :)

"Wit is educated insolence." - Aristotle (284-322 BC)

whitelion
02-14-2001, 01:42 PM
Goktimus Prime:

Yes, Master James Chee is Grandmaster Chee Kim Thong's son. I don't know where he stands in line (Grandmaster Chee has many sons) but he is one of the younger ones I think.

He also seems to have inherited some of Grandmaster Chee's considerable talent :)

------------------------------------
Talk softly and carry a big stick.

gumyilo
02-14-2001, 05:18 PM
Just realized my quote says Ward not Work,

HEHE

"There are no shortcuts in Kung Fu only long days of Hard Ward."