PDA

View Full Version : Exercises

sfhxcsf
02-15-2001, 02:10 AM
Push ups
I know I've asked this before on the kungfu forum but no one answered it really. When you do knuckle pushups, which knuckles do you use? Finger pushups, is there a correct or incorrect way to do these?

Leg exercises
I need some tips. I've got an ACL in my right knee and that limits a lot of strenuous activity. I can still do squats and I do a few of those....I've been very physically inactive for almost 3 years. I've been doing squats, horse stance, and i think it's called lotus stance trying to make my legs stronger.

Shoulders
I have relatively weak shoulders as well. Any exercises that you know of?

I'm also planning on taking white crane, any other excercises I should consider?

Kung Lek
02-16-2001, 12:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Push ups
I know I've asked this before on the kungfu forum but no one answered it really. When you do knuckle pushups, which knuckles do you use? Finger pushups, is there a correct or incorrect way to do these? [/quote]

Knuckle pushups should be done on hte knuckles that are supported by the radius bone in your arm.
Therefore on your index finger and middle finger knuckles. The other alternative is "flat" or all knuckles. The Flat way is a bit more advanced and you should know more about applied pressure before attempting these.
Knuckleups in general should be started on a folded towel until you can bear the pain and then remove the towel when your knuckles have been significantly conditioned to handle it.

Finger pushups can be done with 2,3 or all fingers. To developed "real" strength, bridge the fingers and don't let them bow back. This will increase claw hand forms and will generally condition the fingers for striking techniques.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Leg exercises
I need some tips. I've got an ACL in my right knee and that limits a lot of strenuous activity. I can still do squats and I do a few of those....I've been very physically inactive for almost 3 years. I've been doing squats, horse stance, and i think it's called lotus stance trying to make my legs stronger. [/quote]

well, everybody has three major ligaments in their legs, you have an acl, an ecl and a ccl or
anterior cruciate ligament, exterior cl and center cl.
Take it easy as it takes ligaments longer to heal than broken bones. some types of jow aid in the healing. investigate before getting any particular brand or ask your sifu for jow that works specifically on tendons and bones.

as for leg exercises, there are quite a lot of exercises. Even swimming will increase leg strength and will be very easy on your acl problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Shoulders
I have relatively weak shoulders as well. Any exercises that you know of? [/quote]

arm rotations (small and large) come to mind as well as various weight exercises including the dreaded front and back military presses, standing flys and a few others. Pushups also work your shoulders.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm also planning on taking white crane, any other excercises I should consider? [/quote]

white crane style is a system of kung fu that should include a complete regimen for health and self defense. enjoy it!

peace

Kung Lek