PDA

View Full Version : when you started wing chun

shaolin_allan
08-06-2011, 02:30 PM
For those of you who had previous martial arts experience, when you started learning wing chun what parts of the system did you find yourself to have the most trouble learning or adapting to? For me coming from other styles such as karate and taekwondo I had a lot of trouble at first with the fighting stance footwork for the advancing steps. Also it was difficult getting used to the punching without turning my hips to generate the power.

YouKnowWho
08-06-2011, 02:44 PM
The northern style is open and the souther style is close. When you have both arms at the same length, you won't have the maximum reach. When you have the maximum reach, you will have to fight with one long arm and one short arm.

It's impossible to have both at the same time. My UT class started with the 1st hour WC and the 2nd hour longfist. After 2 months, the students were so confused and I had to stop the WC session.

stonecrusher69
08-06-2011, 06:02 PM
I did a little Karate and some Hung gar before I learned Wing Chun, but for me I found it the easiest to learn because it made a lot of sense to me. After a friend showed me pak sao I knew Wing Chun was the only system I wanted to learn.

Lee Chiang Po
08-06-2011, 09:06 PM
I guess I was real lucky. I had never been exposed to any form of organized fighting before I started Wing Chun. I was 10 years old. A few slap fights with my sisters and cousins, or maybe the kids down the road. But nothing serious. I found it to be the most natural think I ever done. I have to admit that the punch was awkward to some degree, but once it was practiced a little it was like the rest.

shaolin_allan
08-06-2011, 10:21 PM
yeah I agree it was awkward but the constant drills in wing chun ends up engraving the movements into your brain even if you dont realize it.

Graham H
08-07-2011, 04:08 AM
Also it was difficult getting used to the punching without turning my hips to generate the power.

So you obviously have no clue about Chum Kiu! :rolleyes:

GH

Hardwork108
08-07-2011, 04:17 AM

GH

I believe that Shaolin Allan may be referring the punch without the use of the hip, because it does exist in Wing Chun, and if you are not used to the concept, then it will be difficult to apply in the beginning.

In such a case the teachings of Chum Kiu will not apply are irrelevant, because even if he has no trouble with them, he may still have had problems with the punchs that do not use hip power, hence his point.

Graham H
08-07-2011, 04:34 AM
I believe that Shaolin Allan may be referring the punch without the use of the hip, because it does exist in Wing Chun, and if you are not used to the concept, then it will be difficult to apply in the beginning.

In such a case the teachings of Chum Kiu will not apply are irrelevant, because even if he has no trouble with them, he may still have had problems with the punchs that do not use hip power, hence his point.

Ok so its normal to have conflicting ideas in Ving Tsun! Chum Kiu teaches us how to use the hip in all actions as does the dummy training. If you or shaolin allan dont have this idea its no big deal.......the wonderful world of kung Fu as always!

GH

TenTigers
08-07-2011, 06:51 AM
hmmm..I was taught that the "punch without using the hip" actually uses the hip very much, although not turning as in a ping kuen (reverse punch) but in sinking, tucking the sacrum to engage the whole body into what appears to be simply arm punching.

Hendrik
08-07-2011, 09:40 AM
hmmm..I was taught that the "punch without using the hip" actually uses the hip very much, although not turning as in a ping kuen (reverse punch) but in sinking, tucking the sacrum to engage the whole body into what appears to be simply arm punching.

for me,

Hip is an extreme critical part. the action of this part cannot be replaced or substitute by triangle shape, elbow into the center line, structure.....etc.

a stiff hip or rigid hip or hold on hip means dead hip. a dead hip is like a stance.

it is a mistake and trouble to train in WCK and lock the hip. and hip locking is also an influence of knees and angkle locking in YJKYM.

Thus, the so called keep/ hold the Triangle on the lower part of the body is actually not helping WCK but screw up WCK. it simply nail it dead and cannot do fully body fajing.

Fajing , or issue jing, Jing here define as the adaptive force which could response to the need from all direction with different amplitude with a spiral natural.

certainly, some will argue and tell me such type of practice make one feel firm and stable. the issue here is the stance YJKYM in WCK is different with Hung gar. it is about dynamically active instead of firm and feel strong and root to the ground.

one can not stand in a triangle shape feet and leg stance and expecting that is loose and dynamic. because that mechanics has locked the lower body up. and Qi flow is compremised.

One can not stand in a triangle shape feet and leg stance and loosing the upper body expecting one can fajing. because that mechanics has broken the lower part of the body.

One thing, for me, I dont believe in such thing as Nim Lik doing in a rigid triangle shape/frame lower body, as some thinking those are the magic of WCK.

and I call it a demo for a certain condition because take a look at the feet, leg, hip condition. it is condition to support the forward action but not to response to needs from different directions.

for me, it is like a four wheel drive car that is jamming the two back wheel drive. that is violating the law of physics to handle a dynamic action. some one might have a different reasoning that those Nim lik stuffs work, that I am open and love to hear the reason on how they solve the lower part body jamming.

So, if these above are not iron out when one started Wing Chun, for me, one is actually lock oneself into a conner. and the consequence is one would not be able to effectively play with MT, Kyokushin, BJJ, or mmA which is very dynamic.

TenTigers
08-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTigers

for me,

Hip is an extreme critical part. the action of this part cannot be replaced or substitute by triangle shape, elbow into the center line, structure.....etc.

a stiff hip or rigid hip or hold on hip means dead hip. a dead hip is like a stance.

it is a mistake and trouble to train in WCK and lock the hip. and hip locking is also an influence of knees and angkle locking in YJKYM.

Thus, the so called keep/ hold the Triangle on the lower part of the body is actually not helping WCK but screw up WCK. it simply nail it dead and cannot do fully body fajing.

Fajing , or issue jing, Jing here define as the adaptive force which could response to the need from all direction with different amplitude with a spiral natural.

certainly, some will argue and tell me such type of practice make one feel firm and stable. the issue here is the stance YJKYM in WCK is different with Hung gar. it is about dynamically active instead of firm and feel strong and root to the ground.

one can not stand in a triangle shape feet and leg stance and expecting that is loose and dynamic. because that mechanics has locked the lower body up. and Qi flow is compremised.

One can not stand in a triangle shape feet and leg stance and loosing the upper body expecting one can fajing. because that mechanics has broken the lower part of the body.

One thing, for me, I dont believe in such thing as Nim Lik doing in a rigid triangle shape/frame lower body, as some thinking those are the magic of WCK.

and I call it a demo for a certain condition because take a look at the feet, leg, hip condition. it is condition to support the forward action but not to response to needs from different directions.

for me, it is like a four wheel drive car that is jamming the two back wheel drive. that is violating the law of physics to handle a dynamic action. some one might have a different reasoning that those Nim lik stuffs work, that I am open and love to hear the reason on how they solve the lower part body jamming.

So, if these above are not iron out when one started Wing Chun, for me, one is actually lock oneself into a conner. and the consequence is one would not be able to effectively play with MT, Kyokushin, BJJ, or mmA which is very dynamic.
Last edited by Hendrik; Today at 05:30 PM.

um...not sure if you are agreeing with me or not...?:confused:

Hendrik
08-07-2011, 11:53 AM
depend on how do you use your hip.

HumbleWCGuy
08-07-2011, 12:20 PM
I came from TKD. I didn't have much coordination with the hands. Other than that, I felt pretty good about the training. My WC training was just what I was missing.

Hardwork108
08-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Ok so its normal to have conflicting ideas in Ving Tsun! Chum Kiu teaches us how to use the hip in all actions as does the dummy training. If you or shaolin allan dont have this idea its no big deal.......the wonderful world of kung Fu as always!

GH

What I was saying is that even though WC uses the hips (as taught in Chum Kiu) it also teaches you to hit, without using the hips (as taught in chum kiu). You still tuck in, and at the conclusion of the strike you sink.

So, that does involves the hips, but not as you referred to as taught in Chum Kiu. An example would be a straight "walk in" punch, where no turning of hip is involved, but still the hip is involved (not so visibly of course and not as you refer to, as taught in Chum Kiu).

Graham H
08-07-2011, 01:05 PM
What I was saying is that even though WC uses the hips (as taught in Chum Kiu) it also teaches you to hit, without using the hips (as taught in chum kiu). You still tuck in, and at the conclusion of the strike you sink.

So, that does involves the hips, but not as you referred to as taught in Chum Kiu. An example would be a straight "walk in" punch, where no turning of hip is involved, but still the hip is involved (not so visibly of course and not as you refer to, as taught in Chum Kiu).

We don't share the same ideas of ving tsun so no point in any further comments from me.

Hardwork108
08-07-2011, 01:26 PM
We don't share the same ideas of ving tsun so no point in any further comments from me.

Well, if we were to agree on everything, then what would be the point of discussing things?

Actually, I believe that we do to some extent. Yes, Chum kiu teaches us (among other things) to use our hips in striking. On that we agree.

I am also saying that there is WC striking where you don't use your hips as in turning with the punch, but as tucking in and sinking (further) on the point of contact. Don't you use this methodology in your school? If not, are you not interested for the sake of expanding your WC knowledge, to look into it?

By the way, Ten Tigers also referred to this in a recent post here.

Incidentally, the lineage of Chow Gar that I practice, also uses the hips, but in a manner that is not visible for the onlooker and somewhat different from the WC way.

The world of the TCMAs is fascinating and IMHO, any kung fu lover will want to expand his knowledge and understanding as regards genuine TCMA methodologies. :)

shaolin_allan
08-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the input Hardwork and you're right to what I was referring to. The human body has hips so obviously in a strike they will be used but as tentigers was talking about when you do styles for a long time where you use a reverse style punch it can be difficult to get used the the WCK style of punching when you first start out. It's a very simple idea and i'm surprised someone was able to try and start an argument in this thread already on the subject since the argument was not done in any positive or constructive way.

GlennR
08-07-2011, 02:15 PM

GH

He did say when he started Graham..... i assume you wait until at least the 2nd lesson to teach CK??

shaolin_allan
08-07-2011, 02:21 PM
He did say when he started Graham..... i assume you wait until at least the 2nd lesson to teach CK??

Exactly Glenn I didnt even understand why Chum Kiu came into play because I was talking about as a beginner to WCk from other martial arts.

GlennR
08-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Exactly Glenn I didnt even understand why Chum Kiu came into play because I was talking about as a beginner to WCk from other martial arts.

Dont worry about Graham, he's just sensitive to non PB WCers... its challenges his religious beliefs ;)

Back to topic, ive been doing MT for 3 years now and thought id transitioned pretty quickly from the closed hip-open hip (WC-MT) method of power generation.
In hindsight it took me a lot longer and im sure the other way around would have been just as hard.
But maybe im just slow ;)

YouKnowWho
08-07-2011, 02:50 PM
I was talking about as a beginner to WCk from other martial arts.
If you already have combat ability from another style, when you cross train a new style, you want to pick up whatever that you don't have and ignore whatever that you already have. This way you don't have to throw away everything that you know and start from ground zero again. If you think you are the master and all styles are your slaves, you should not have such problem.

The "cross training" is just like a married man, you don't have to divoce your wife to have sex with another girl. :D

shaolin_allan
08-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Dont worry about Graham, he's just sensitive to non PB WCers... its challenges his religious beliefs ;)

Back to topic, ive been doing MT for 3 years now and thought id transitioned pretty quickly from the closed hip-open hip (WC-MT) method of power generation.
In hindsight it took me a lot longer and im sure the other way around would have been just as hard.
But maybe im just slow ;)

PB WC? I mean I understood the point Graham made and it was a good one, but Chum Kiu is something students are taught after they've been into their school for a while. I don't think you're slow at all and would also have a good amount of difficulty going from MT to WC and vice versa it was the same for me going from tkd to wc.

GlennR
08-07-2011, 02:53 PM
PB WC? I mean I understood the point Graham made and it was a good one, but Chum Kiu is something students are taught after they've been into their school for a while. I don't think you're slow at all and would also have a good amount of difficulty going from MT to WC and vice versa it was the same for me going from tkd to wc.

I was just joking Allan

shaolin_allan
08-07-2011, 03:15 PM
I was just joking Allan

Haha nah I know you were I was just saying it can be tough to transition to a style like WC for anyone. It was a funny joke though ;)

Another funny as hell quote

The "cross training" is just like a married man, you don't have to divoce your wife to have sex with another girl.

But the sinking hips and even the turning and use of the hips seem like they can feel very awkward at first and specific to WC.

anerlich
08-08-2011, 06:58 PM
If you already have combat ability from another style, when you cross train a new style, you want to pick up whatever that you don't have and ignore whatever that you already have. This way you don't have to throw away everything that you know and start from ground zero again. If you think you are the master and all styles are your slaves, you should not have such problem.

Might work for two striking arts ... definitely doesn't work for a striker learning to grapple or vice versa.

Also, the WC I was taught very much uses the hip ... and from what I understand the same is true for CSLWC (Robert Chu / Alan Orr).

Hardwork108
08-09-2011, 01:05 AM
Also, the WC I was taught very much uses the hip ... and from what I understand the same is true for CSLWC (Robert Chu / Alan Orr).

Most if not all TCMAs use the hip, but there are different ways the hips are used. The way you were taught to use the hips in Wing Chun is pribably taught in all knowledges.

However,if you are using lets say a straigtht walking in punch then you will not be twisting your hips, but they will be tucked in and "sinking" (and depending on lineage "expanding your breath") at the conclusion of your strike. So again, the hip area is used in this type of action, but it is not "twisted".

Again, in arts such as certain lineages of Chow Gar (and probably styles such asPak Mei and Dragon), the hip is used yet in another much lesser known way.

Graham H
08-09-2011, 02:19 AM
Don't you use this methodology in your school? If not, are you not interested for the sake of expanding your WC knowledge, to look into it?

Nope and BTW I spent 8 years researching "other" WC systems so my knowledge and understanding is ok thank you please? ;):D

The culmination of my path in Ving Tsun has been based on trial and error. Some systems just don't cut it even though the heads of their systems claim to be Grandmatsers and Masters! ;)

GH

Hardwork108
08-09-2011, 03:37 AM
Nope and BTW I spent 8 years researching "other" WC systems so my knowledge and understanding is ok thank you please? ;):D

You have to keep in mind that there are WC systems out there that take 6 to 8 years to complete, and then there are the other kung fu styles......

Also, keep in mind that over 95% percent of Wing Chun or indeed any major kung fu style, you would have been exposed to would habe been (and are) incomplete (poor to mediocre). This is the Mcdojo phenomenon. So, it was not invented by me.

The culmination of my path in Ving Tsun has been based on trial and error. Some systems just don't cut it even though the heads of their systems claim to be Grandmatsers and Masters! ;)

Being somewhat familiar with the Wing Chun world and the TCMA scene in general, I would say that your 8 years of trial and error are pretty insignificant in a world where there are Wing Chun lineages that take 6 to 8 years to complete.

IMHO, for people to grow in Wing Chun, or indeed in any kung fu style, they need to come down from their high horses and be more humble. I have already met a Chinese master who after 40 or so years of practice of kung fu practice said that he would have liked to continue with his kung fu studies in his next life, because there was so much to learn. I have net a karate master in his early 70s that said that he kept discovering new things about his practice even in his current training.

So, lets just get real. 8 years of Wing Chun experimentation in world full of Mckwoons can potentially leave gaps in one's knowledge and the way you expressed yourself, you came across as a "know it all" person, as regards WC.

So, let me ask, and I am really curious. What is the source of your power when you are stepping in a straight line and punching your opponent. This is a case where you will not be turning your hips. Do you just use your body unity (behind the punch) with the step and the usual elbow alingments? Or is there more?

Does you lineage practice Iron Palm? Does your lineage of Wing Chun incorporate Chin-na to an advanced level? Does your lineage take the WC principles to the ground as part of its ORIGINAL curriculum (that is, they were not added since the popularity of the Gracies/BJJ/UFCs)?

Do have ANY Internal aspects to your training? How about breathing, do have different types for striking scenarios as regards the effect of the strikes? Or do you use a standard type of "breath out" when punching?

With regular 3 times a week training (plus "homework") how long would it take an average person to complete the curriculum of your lineage?

I am asking all this because I am GENUINELY curious and a lot of that curiousity comes from seeing your own high regards for the lineage that you practice.

Graham H
08-09-2011, 05:35 AM
You have to keep in mind that there are WC systems out there that take 6 to 8 years to complete, and then there are the other kung fu styles......

This goes completely against Ving Tsun theory!!!!! One never completes the system as we are always learning more efficient ways to apply the concepts. Skill develops from year to year in which we will have a better understanding of the system. We are our own enemy through being prone to making mistakes in the heat of a fight. It is these mistakes Ving Tsun serves to correct in my lineage.

Also, keep in mind that over 95% percent of Wing Chun or indeed any major kung fu style, you would have been exposed to would habe been (and are) incomplete (poor to mediocre). This is the Mcdojo phenomenon. So, it was not invented by me.

You may speculate if you want but in that statement you may be writing off many you respect.

Being somewhat familiar with the Wing Chun world and the TCMA scene in general, I would say that your 8 years of trial and error are pretty insignificant in a world where there are Wing Chun lineages that take 6 to 8 years to complete.

I have been involved in such lineages especially the Foshan versions of Wing Chun and I left as it was nonsense. As WSL would say "going around and around the bull's horns and getting nowhere!" :D:D:D

IMHO, for people to grow in Wing Chun, or indeed in any kung fu style, they need to come down from their high horses and be more humble. I have already met a Chinese master who after 40 or so years of practice of kung fu practice said that he would have liked to continue with his kung fu studies in his next life, because there was so much to learn. I have net a karate master in his early 70s that said that he kept discovering new things about his practice even in his current training.

Define "Master"!!!! Master is a title given by followers who (in some cases) blindy follow silly ideas. It's all in the eye of the beholder you see? I have met "masters" in Wing Chun and they are good at shows and are held in high regard because of name and status! No great fighting abilty! There are no masters in my lineage! Just normal human being who just happen to be very skillful at Ving Tsun!

So, lets just get real. 8 years of Wing Chun experimentation in world full of Mckwoons can potentially leave gaps in one's knowledge and the way you expressed yourself, you came across as a "know it all" person, as regards WC.

I know enough to function! I think you are the one in McDojo land!

So, let me ask, and I am really curious. What is the source of your power when you are stepping in a straight line and punching your opponent. This is a case where you will not be turning your hips. Do you just use your body unity (behind the punch) with the step and the usual elbow alingments? Or is there more?

Ving Tsun teaches you to use the whole body for the main weapon....the straight punch. I'm sorry but I can't show by profusely tapping my keyboard!! :p:D:D

Does you lineage practice Iron Palm? Does your lineage of Wing Chun incorporate Chin-na to an advanced level? Does your lineage take the WC principles to the ground as part of its ORIGINAL curriculum (that is, they were not added since the popularity of the Gracies/BJJ/UFCs)?

You have your ideas and I have mine...no biggy!!

Do have ANY Internal aspects to your training? How about breathing, do have different types for striking scenarios as regards the effect of the strikes? Or do you use a standard type of "breath out" when punching?

I breathe to remian alive mate! :D

With regular 3 times a week training (plus "homework") how long would it take an average person to complete the curriculum of your lineage?

I train most days for 2-3 hours. What everybody else is doing is not my business. With the right person and the right amount of time good progress can be made.

I am asking all this because I am GENUINELY curious and a lot of that curiousity comes from seeing your own high regards for the lineage that you practice.

...as you do for yours!! ;)

GH

Hardwork108
08-09-2011, 10:41 AM
This goes completely against Ving Tsun theory!!!!! One never completes the system as we are always learning more efficient ways to apply the concepts. Skill develops from year to year in which we will have a better understanding of the system. We are our own enemy through being prone to making mistakes in the heat of a fight. It is these mistakes Ving Tsun serves to correct in my lineage.

My reference to the time period needed to complete a style was as regards the set curriculum of techniques, applications, concepts, principles, etc. Not skill development.

I did imply that there is a lot more to learn?

You may speculate if you want but in that statement you may be writing off many you respect.

That statement is a FACT!

I have been involved in such lineages especially the Foshan versions of Wing Chun and I left as it was nonsense. As WSL would say "going around and around the bull's horns and getting nowhere!" :D:D:D
First of all we cannot necessarily believe your opinion of them being "nonesense". After all, how long did you train them? Were the sifus qualified? Did the stuff they were teaching go against your "scientific" belief system?
Qualified or not, did they just take you for a ride? Whatever the truth, you do realize that there are at least 7 other lineages of WC in Foshan alone.

There are also other manifestations of Wing Chun in countries such as Malaysia, Singapoor etc. You are not curious at all?

Define "Master"!!!!

A master is a person who has mastered a discipline to a high level. Read master carpenter, master sculpture, master paint....clear now?

Master is a title given by followers who (in some cases) blindy follow silly ideas.
Oh boy, you really have the idea of master all mixed up....LOL!

It's all in the eye of the beholder you see?
I am not sure, but your attitude may be the reason that you did not find any kung fu of use in Foshan.

I have met "masters" in Wing Chun and they are good at shows and are held in high regard because of name and status! No great fighting abilty!

Well, you just proved my 95% and above kung fu schools (including their "masters" being poor to mediocre)....;)

There are no masters in my lineage!
Why am I not surprised? :D

Just normal human being who just happen to be very skillful at Ving Tsun!
There are many normal people who are skilful in varying disciplines, but they do not qualify as MASTERS! I believe you have just confused this master concept.

I know enough to function! I think you are the one in McDojo land!

Then why are you here? You seem to know everything and not interested in other lineages that are different and even richer than yours. So you are not here to learn, are you another one who is here to "teach"?

For whatever it is worth, most people in this forum and their grandmothers believe they know enough.

I do not know much about your lineage, but I did watch a couple of PB videos. I noticed that you guys go back as a matter of habit and/or strategy. That already indicates a HUGE difference between what you practice and what I practice, not to mention the mindset of the Chow Gar that I have also practiced.

So again, you are not interested how other kung fu styles are more in your face and have different strategies? Do you practice Iron skills? Does your system have Chin-na and ground fighting? Internal training?

Ving Tsun teaches you to use the whole body for the main weapon...
Most, if not all kung fu styles do the same!

.the straight punch. I'm sorry but I can't show by profusely tapping my keyboard!! :p:D:D
There were certain descriptions I was looking for but I guess you do your straight punch differently.

You have your ideas and I have mine...no biggy!!

They are not my "ideas" they are part and parcel of the lineage that I practice. That is, Chin-na, Iron Skills, Chi kung, Ground Fighting, etc.

I breathe to remian alive mate! :D

No surprise there either. Not even the few sifus/masters who know the breathing methodologies, do not teach them openly.....

I train most days for 2-3 hours. What everybody else is doing is not my business. With the right person and the right amount of time good progress can be made.
I asked you an honest and straight question, how long does it take to complete
the curriculum in your lineage (instructor level)?

...as you do for yours!! ;)

That is a good thing, but not only does my sifu discuss other lineages, he also discusses other styles of kung fu, some of which are superior to most WC out there.

It is all about putting aside pride and embrace knowledge from other manifestations of one's chosen style of kung fu and indeed the other TCMAs.

GH[/QUOTE]

Graham H
08-09-2011, 01:14 PM
My reference to the time period needed to complete a style was as regards the set curriculum of techniques, applications, concepts, principles, etc. Not skill development.

I did imply that there is a lot more to learn?

That statement is a FACT!

First of all we cannot necessarily believe your opinion of them being "nonesense". After all, how long did you train them? Were the sifus qualified? Did the stuff they were teaching go against your "scientific" belief system?
Qualified or not, did they just take you for a ride? Whatever the truth, you do realize that there are at least 7 other lineages of WC in Foshan alone.

There are also other manifestations of Wing Chun in countries such as Malaysia, Singapoor etc. You are not curious at all?

A master is a person who has mastered a discipline to a high level. Read master carpenter, master sculpture, master paint....clear now?

Oh boy, you really have the idea of master all mixed up....LOL!

I am not sure, but your attitude may be the reason that you did not find any kung fu of use in Foshan.

Well, you just proved my 95% and above kung fu schools (including their "masters" being poor to mediocre)....;)

Why am I not surprised? :D

There are many normal people who are skilful in varying disciplines, but they do not qualify as MASTERS! I believe you have just confused this master concept.

Then why are you here? You seem to know everything and not interested in other lineages that are different and even richer than yours. So you are not here to learn, are you another one who is here to "teach"?

For whatever it is worth, most people in this forum and their grandmothers believe they know enough.

I do not know much about your lineage, but I did watch a couple of PB videos. I noticed that you guys go back as a matter of habit and/or strategy. That already indicates a HUGE difference between what you practice and what I practice, not to mention the mindset of the Chow Gar that I have also practiced.

So again, you are not interested how other kung fu styles are more in your face and have different strategies? Do you practice Iron skills? Does your system have Chin-na and ground fighting? Internal training?

Most, if not all kung fu styles do the same!

There were certain descriptions I was looking for but I guess you do your straight punch differently.

They are not my "ideas" they are part and parcel of the lineage that I practice. That is, Chin-na, Iron Skills, Chi kung, Ground Fighting, etc.

No surprise there either. Not even the few sifus/masters who know the breathing methodologies, do not teach them openly.....

I asked you an honest and straight question, how long does it take to complete
the curriculum in your lineage (instructor level)?

That is a good thing, but not only does my sifu discuss other lineages, he also discusses other styles of kung fu, some of which are superior to most WC out there.

It is all about putting aside pride and embrace knowledge from other manifestations of one's chosen style of kung fu and indeed the other TCMAs.

GH[/QUOTE]

I like being on a different page to you brother! End of conversation! You dig?

GH

nasmedicine
08-09-2011, 03:20 PM
I stated off with TKD at the age of 7 for several years; In middle school a friend of mine started training in Aikijujutsu and then convinced me to join as well, so I ended up doing that for two years. I later trained Muay Thai under a gentlemen who recently immigrated from Thai land at a local gym. He was charging dirt cheap prices and taught a more formal version of Muay Thai with some very simple forms and applications that went along with the training, so I ended up training that for 1 year. I then started to train JKD with a group of guys in NJ/NYC which then lead me to to seek out Wing Chun(This was when I was about 16yo). I originally wanted to learn WC to enhance my JKD however I very quickly realized that WC itself is far superior a system by itself. Since then I've only trained WC. One of the things I would say I had trouble with when I first started was developing root and how to throw a proper "WC punch", also there were alot of terms that were unfamiliar to me (even though there was some overlap from JKD, i.e. lap sao, tan sao, pak sao/parry...etc)

Hardwork108
08-11-2011, 04:42 AM
I like being on a different page to you brother! End of conversation! You dig?

GH

"You dig"? LOL!

You know, it is the attitudes like yours that result in most Wing Chuner's not evolving their TCMA knowlegde because they are cocooned into lineages or schools thinking what they do is best.

As a fellow Wing Chun practitioner I will just suggest to you and the likes of you to think outside the box and evolve your knowlege because one thing I can guarantee you is that there is a lot more TCMA knowlege out there then you know about! ;)

Graham H
08-11-2011, 05:28 AM
You know, it is the attitudes like yours that result in most Wing Chuner's not evolving their TCMA knowlegde because they are cocooned into lineages or schools thinking what they do is best.

As a fellow Wing Chun practitioner I will just suggest to you and the likes of you to think outside the box and evolve your knowlege because one thing I can guarantee you is that there is a lot more TCMA knowlege out there then you know about! ;)

I don't like your attitude either! ;)

GH

Hardwork108
08-11-2011, 05:51 AM
I don't like your attitude either! ;)

GH

You should, as I am only suggesting that you expand your horizons as regards the TCMAs, and that is something that I myself try to do always.

Graham H
08-12-2011, 03:31 AM
You should, as I am only suggesting that you expand your horizons as regards the TCMAs, and that is something that I myself try to do always.

So why do I need to do that? Once you have driven a great motor car and you are happy with it why go and test drive any more?

So what are we talking about? Hung Gar? Done it! Tai Chi Chuan? Done it! Praying Mantis? Done it! Hop Gar? Done it! Lau gar? Done it! Ip Chun Wing Chun? Done it! Ip Ching Wing Chun? Done it! Sam Kwok Wing Chun? Done it! Leung Ting Wing Tsun? Yuk! Augustine Fong Wing Chun? Done it! Maybe some Japaneze stuff? Wado Ryu? Done it! Ninjitsu? Done it! Kenpo? Done it! Maybe I could go to a decent Boxing club.......oh yeah done that as well!............you want me to carry on??? My horizons don't need expanding my friend??????

I'll tell you one thing dude....if somebody can fight they can fight.....it makes no difference what style they do. Fighters can make anything work! You don't even need Martial Arts if you like to scrap and I have met some scary people and funnily enough they haven't been to a martial art club in their lives!

Shame you don't live close to me...you could come around and show me the light! LOL

GH

mjw
08-12-2011, 09:14 AM
I came from Karate first & had an issue with pulling back too much making gaps when doing splitting moves like a tan/gwat chop I would pull back too much opeing myself up for running hand etc.....
That and fighting as close as they do in WC compared to long bridge systems but I think it helped me with closing the gap from a far so I don't regret my karate training not that I would ever go back to it......

WC1277
08-12-2011, 09:23 AM
So why do I need to do that? Once you have driven a great motor car and you are happy with it why go and test drive any more?

So what are we talking about? Hung Gar? Done it! Tai Chi Chuan? Done it! Praying Mantis? Done it! Hop Gar? Done it! Lau gar? Done it! Ip Chun Wing Chun? Done it! Ip Ching Wing Chun? Done it! Sam Kwok Wing Chun? Done it! Leung Ting Wing Tsun? Yuk! Augustine Fong Wing Chun? Done it! Maybe some Japaneze stuff? Wado Ryu? Done it! Ninjitsu? Done it! Kenpo? Done it! Maybe I could go to a decent Boxing club.......oh yeah done that as well!............you want me to carry on??? My horizons don't need expanding my friend??????

I'll tell you one thing dude....if somebody can fight they can fight.....it makes no difference what style they do. Fighters can make anything work! You don't even need Martial Arts if you like to scrap and I have met some scary people and funnily enough they haven't been to a martial art club in their lives!

Shame you don't live close to me...you could come around and show me the light! LOL

GH

When did you do Augustine Fong WC and with whom?

Graham H
08-12-2011, 09:29 AM
When did you do Augustine Fong WC and with whom?

Does it matter? :confused:

GH

WC1277
08-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Does it matter? :confused:

GH

Yeah because there's plenty of bad practioners within any system....

Graham H
08-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Yeah because there's plenty of bad practioners within any system....

This is true but whether he was good or bad makes no difference. It was a long time ago and I have moved on. Maybe you are suggesting that had he been good I may have stayed??? I don't think so because I feel that the WSL lineage is head and shoulders above the others but even in my lineage there are charlatans!

GH

k gledhill
08-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Good point, we need to stop thinking that just because you have a certain teacher doesnt mean they got beyond a basic level of understanding vt. You are the only one who can walk ariund and compare...like GH said, WSL lineage also has its own charlatans.

couch
08-12-2011, 10:37 AM
The hardest part I found was the 'in-your-face' nature of the system.

But it's what molded me into a better person overall.

shaolin_allan
08-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Thank you to everyone else who has continued to contribute to the idea of this thread even though Graham and Hardwork have turned it like every other wing chun thread into an arguing match. It seems like Graham gets his panties tightened when we ask him anything regarding any kung fu he has done unless he mentions it himself first. Fine Graham you've done all the best styles and know what you're talking about. Now go train and stop wasting your time arguing on this forum.

Vajramusti
08-12-2011, 01:04 PM
For those of you who had previous martial arts experience, when you started learning wing chun what parts of the system did you find yourself to have the most trouble learning or adapting to? For me coming from other styles such as karate and taekwondo I had a lot of trouble at first with the fighting stance footwork for the advancing steps. Also it was difficult getting used to the punching without turning my hips to generate the power.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FWIW- getting the bong sao right was a problem for me back in 1976. Got corrected, figured it out,
applied it- and I was ok.
My advancing steps are likely to be different from yours. Proper distance between the heels
and the knees working together got me on my way.
First I learned how to punch from the yee gee kim yeung ma- then chor ma showed me how to turn
and link all the joints. The hips were links in the chain of power.Not loading up on the shoulder as in boxing was one of the game changers.
Just commenting on the subject of your thread.

joy chaudhuri

shaolin_allan
08-12-2011, 01:16 PM
thanks for ur input sifu Joy thats exactly the type of stuff I was looking for. I had trouble with bong sao at first also coming from a hard style background like taekwondo. I thought I had the stepping right at first in wing chun but I realized I had a lot of work to do. Such as lifting ur feet completely off the ground when you/slide step forward can be a bad thing.

Shaolin12
08-12-2011, 05:31 PM

I was taught that you punch using 1-5 joints. If you're in bridge hands and you punch with the front hand using wrist only you are practicing or using Bruce Lee's one inch punch. You start with the elbow and then fire the wrist and use those two joints. you can start with the shoulder turn into a side body, fire the elbow then the wrist. Or you can use all 5 joints and start by twisting the ankle, twist the hips, turn your shoulder into a side body, shot the elbow and torque the wrist. Now that punch has traveled 10 feet or so depending on your height and now has a lot of power behind a punch that seems to traveling a short distance.

Hardwork108
08-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Thank you to everyone else who has continued to contribute to the idea of this thread even though Graham and Hardwork have turned it like every other wing chun thread into an arguing match.

Sorry shaolin_allan, my intention was not to turn this thread into an argument, but in a world where REAL grandmasters still claim to be learning kung fu and even suggest looking into other TCMAs to enhance one's knowledge, I find it hard to swallow when relative amateurs think that they have found their "ultimate fist", because they have practiced a dozen other TMA arts with god knows who, in a world where over 90% of TCMA is Mcdojo material.

Hardwork108
08-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Hey, there is never any harm and potentially a lot to gain to keep yourself updated in new developments as regards motor cars. ;)

Most of the arts you mention above will take decades to fully understand, that is if you had actually found authentic instruction, which there is around 95% chance that you didn't. ;)

I'll tell you one thing dude....if somebody can fight they can fight.....it makes no difference what style they do.

Actually it does make a difference what style they do. Take two people "who can fight", put one in a lousy TMA school and put another in top class fighting oriented TMA school (conditioning and all), then make them fight after 5 years of training in their respective schools. Who would you put your money on?

Fighters can make anything work! You don't even need Martial Arts if you like to scrap and I have met some scary people and funnily enough they haven't been to a martial art club in their lives!

Don't tell me about scary people because I live in Colombia. So my scary people would probably scare the cr@p out of your scary people. ;)

GH
Interesting concept, showing you the light, by knocking out your lights! :p

shaolin_allan
08-13-2011, 12:24 AM
I think this thread is finito. We did manage to keep the point going for a while and found some common ground between students new to wing chun which was insightful. I wouldn't say its ending on a good note but we got some value out of it.

WCgreg
08-16-2011, 07:21 AM
i went over to wing chun from boxing/MMA so found everything difficult!
mainly weight distribution, punch technique and yielding to a greater force for example shifting with a bong sau....

altbus1
08-16-2011, 11:13 AM
For me the foorwork and stance are the biggest working point for now. I've always been used standing on the ball of my feet.

Never the less I still have a long way to go.