PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu, culture, information technology etc

SPJ
08-07-2011, 09:38 AM
1. I used to follow a lot of teachers in Taiwan. what they were doing, what they said, and wrote-- of course one by one, they passed away.

adam hsu or xu ji mentioned a lot of history and culture aspect of kung fu in just about all of his articles.

he approaches Kung fu from the history and chinese culture

I on the other hand approach kung fu learning and practicing from direct experience and finding solutions for a fighting problems.

what is your approach?

2. china, taiwan are embracing apple and ipad in a big way. many apple apps were written by chinese just about every day, with respect to kung fu, too. forms intro/learning apps, kung fu seminar apps ---

in order to reach the growing markets of ipad user in china and taiwan, I joined the itune stores/apps, too.

what is your oppinion on this? how do you utilize this IT to promote or propagate your style and your school etc

comment away!

:)

SPJ
08-07-2011, 09:49 AM
when I was in high school in 1970s, I really enjoyed fighting choreography from Jackie chan kung fu flicks. there was not much drama or story but just fight scenes from the start to the end.

most people left the cinema like 3 min. I was always the last person to leave or watch the whole thing, sometimes I watched it again, to catch some fight moves that I missed--

it is boring for a lot of people, when the fight is going to end?

i enjoyed them, b/c all the attacks may end the fight already, but it was solved or countered.

they are showing solutions to a lot of dangerous/fatal moves.

---

not making much money on the ticket fronts, Jackie chan turned to stunts and comedy that made money for his movies and him

but actually they are far and far away from real life. who is going to do all that stunts? they are with props or wire ---

not your every day joe may do them.

--

SPJ
08-07-2011, 09:56 AM
when people learn classic math first, finally they get to learn calculus

one would ask that if calculus may solve all of your math problems, then why learn classical math first?

if you learn the basic first, when you learn calculus, you would appreciate or understand more--

tai chi and ba gua are actually calculus like

but look at them being tossed around like qi myths, or never will work

---

so if you learn tan tui, shaolin long fist etc or even boxing or judo first

then when you learn tai chi and ba gua, you would appreciate and understand them more

--

finding solutions for your fighting problems, that is

--

SPJ
08-07-2011, 09:59 AM
there are apps for everything

I like the hundred schools/families forums

or bai jia lun tan 百家论坛 . they have very good chinese history, warfare ancient and modern, and kung fu talks, too

guess what there is an app for it

---

SPJ
08-07-2011, 10:02 AM
we came a long way from carving on bamboo sticks, pen brushing and drawing on papers

to making apps for forms, kung fu seminars

to be viewed on PC, tablets, iphones and ipads etc

---

SPJ
08-07-2011, 10:07 AM
I missed the days of waiting a long line to get into movie theaters

now we may watch any movies 24/7 with netflik on pc, ipad etc

or watch free on youtubes before being taken down for copyright--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl56_ZP6bI8&feature=related

--

netflik is good

the movie ticket is like 10 USD for one movie

netflik is less for more

I missed the days of cigarette smoke and chewing tobacco spit in the movie theater

---

SPJ
08-07-2011, 10:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZOrNlJHXBM

and more.

--

MightyB
08-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I'd like to see my Sifu record himself performing all of the forms. I'd like to see him take his entire archive of photos and films of his dad and senior student's of WHF performing forms and such and put it on some form of permanent digital storage. I'd like my Sifu to translate his father's handwritten book to english and store it as a pdf.

This is just his family's personal martial arts history and it's slowly being lost - how much have we lost? How much can we save?

Hendrik
08-07-2011, 10:40 AM
I use to be very big in technology. Since I am a chip designer, it is a nature to investigate into details with all the tech stuffs.

after years of playing with biofeedback machine....etc.

my bottom line today is those machines and so called scientific is actually very limited. it doesnt help much in cultivate one's kung fu.

the realm of mind, body, soul or awareness is far beyond all these post newtonian philosophy technology garget can do. Newtonian philosophy type of science and technology today is like a black and white picture, the human world is like a 65000 color 3 D video. trying to capture those color 3 D information into a black and white picture is really a problem.

To cultivate and transform and develop the kung fu, one simply needs standing post or stake, using it to investigate and cultivate the force vectors, the breathing, the body frame, the Qi. takes lots of time and no substitution. High tech garget doesnt help. one simply needs to work out all the details with action.

Get a sifu who has the real experience to lead one is the way to go.
technology in this case can be usefull because one can communicate with the sifu around the world with ease today.

IronFist
08-07-2011, 10:51 AM
when I was in high school in 1970s, I really enjoyed fighting choreography from Jackie chan kung fu flicks. there was not much drama or story but just fight scenes from the start to the end.

most people left the cinema like 3 min. I was always the last person to leave or watch the whole thing, sometimes I watched it again, to catch some fight moves that I missed--

it is boring for a lot of people, when the fight is going to end?

i enjoyed them, b/c all the attacks may end the fight already, but it was solved or countered.

they are showing solutions to a lot of dangerous/fatal moves.

---

not making much money on the ticket fronts, Jackie chan turned to stunts and comedy that made money for his movies and him

but actually they are far and far away from real life. who is going to do all that stunts? they are with props or wire ---

not your every day joe may do them.

--

People left Jackie Chan movies after 3 minutes?

wtf?

SPJ
08-08-2011, 08:01 AM
People left Jackie Chan movies after 3 minutes?

wtf?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LcMbG-MQXY

in the 1970s, you may see more down to earth fight scenes

some movies even have the whole forms of 2 men set

--

SPJ
08-08-2011, 08:08 AM
jackie chan made it big

it was the stunt in fighting and motorcycle on junks in HK harbor

police story made him known and became mega star

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xvo3xI2pdQ&feature=related

not from his early kung fu flix.

b/c every one was overshadowed or under the eclipse of Bruce Lee in kung fu flix in 1970s.

including donnie yen--