PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about electronic stimulation machines?

BrokenSoul
07-10-2000, 05:17 AM
I have been reading about a machine that uses electronic impluses that claims to aid in developement of muscles, any truth to these machines when used in addition to weight training and regular Kung-Fu practice?
thanks to all that reply

Braden
07-10-2000, 05:28 AM
They might be ok in addition to regular weight-training.

They operate under the same principles as isometric exerices - which would probably give you the exact same results without the expensive equipment and potential side-effects.

However, isometrics are used mostly only as rehabilitatin exercises, as the benefits they give are rather limited - for example, they do not increase vascularization of the muscles mass which is very important in providing energy, and doubly so in terms of muscular endurance.

Wongsifu
07-10-2000, 07:21 PM
Hehehe So call me a sucker but I bought one /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif LOL

No seriously its a good piece of kit lemme put it this way It definately does work it does do what it says it pumps up the body, the way it works is that it sends electric pulses through the body and makes the muscles twitch, this twitch is the same as doing sit ups or push ups etc.
There are no downsides and It does make you bigger stronger etc, I actually found it worked on my chest more than push ups and weights did.
The only thing is that being a martial artist the strength and power you want are for specific muscle groups with specific movement, you could use this machine and weights for 20 years but if you dont actually practise with the movement then its worthless, If you want more punching and blocking power weights wont be the way to it.
I think its a steal you can buy good ones for around 60$ dont pay for anything more its too much and it does tone your body while watching tv but its no substitute for hundreads of punches.

Braden
07-10-2000, 08:21 PM
Just a quick note; electrical stimulation and other isometric exercises are definitely NOT just like doing sit-ups or push-ups.

While they will increase muscles *mass*, they will actually decrease the biochemical efficiency of the muscle by reducing the mitochondria at the cellular level and the vascularization at the tissue level.

In terms of real life performance, they will significantly decrease your speed and endurance.

There's quite a bit of literature on this topic both in professional journals and introductory weight-lifting books under the name "isometric exercises."

Cheers.

Weapon-Maker
07-12-2000, 05:55 PM
If it's been invented,I have more than likely tried it.This just happens to be the case with this topic.I own one of these units,mine is a medical version(insurance company paid for it).The only thing I use it for is relieving muscle-cramps.Compared to my exercises,this thing doesn't do jack(except help relieve cramps).That's it.A lot of people also don't realize the benefit of specific-area weight training.For instance,to strengthen the 'pulling' power of my arms,I do several different types of barbell and dumb-bell curls,and climb ropes. To strengthen my 'punching/striking' power,I bench-press,military-press,tricep pull-downs and push-ups.If you lift for strength,not size,and stay limber,you can double your current strength inside a year's time.And not be muscle 'bound'.My current body-weight is 145 lbs.I can currently dead-lift 375lbs.I can bench-press a maximum of 265lbs and I can curl a maximum of 105lbs.What this means is I can fight people much larger than myself and still be stronger than a lot of them.Thus,greatly improving my odds of winning.(because I am highly under-estimated in most cases,this works to my advantage EVERY time).I know a lot of different strength-building exercises and techniques,if anyone is interested.

07-12-2000, 11:26 PM
Where can one purchase such a machine?
I have a athropied calf muscle that I hoping this kind of product will help.

TIA

MattS

Jaguar Wong
07-13-2000, 12:25 AM
Weapon-Maker:
Yes, I am interested (jaguar@superaction.com)

BrokenSoul
07-13-2000, 06:04 AM
Weapon Maker.....I am very interested, please let me know...thanks
BrokenSoul72@aol.com

Highlander
07-13-2000, 06:21 AM
I have never used one of these machines, but I did rent the Green Mile last weekend and ....... eh ..... I think I'll pass. If you do decide to get one remember to wet the sponge!!!!!

Man, I must really be bored.

Weapon-Maker
07-13-2000, 05:44 PM
When I was younger (19),a friend of mine used to call those things 'boxes of terror'.Before I continue with the story,I must first describe my friends father:clean-cut,early to mid 50's,wore business attire,carried a briefcase with an Uzi in it-along with 3 extra 30-rd magazines,collected 'unusual' clandestine devices.He NEVER smiled and this was one dude I just knew to respect and,yes fear.You see,dad didn't care if his son had company over,he would 'punish' him right in front of me. One day,the 'box o' terror' came out.It wasn't pretty dudes.This device was nothing like what is being discussed in this topic.This thing was straight out of an old sanitarium (circa 1930's).The 'box' was the size of a microwave oven,and it must have had a hundred dials,switches etc...It also had a plethera of electrodes,and yes,this was an actual 'shock-treatment' device.Anyway,dad proceeded to place electrodes where he deemed necessary.Places like: 6 around the neck(like a necklace),about 20 on his back,about 5 or 6 on his torso and the rest on his arms and legs.Let's not forget the 2 on his temples.All I can say is, if he wanted to,he could have easily suffocated that kid to death (6 on the neck).But he didn't,and to this day,if I am ever 'questioned' about these incidents:What incidents??????

I. P. Chi
07-13-2000, 11:40 PM
My wife has one of these machines and she’s VERY happy with it. It’s 13 inches long, ribbed and she’s named it “Fabio.”

Weapon-Maker
07-14-2000, 05:17 PM
Does it have variable-speed?

Turiyan
05-06-2001, 03:07 AM
Hmmm, I'm going to see if my insurance covers one. Because it could be deemed, medically nessessary by my Dr.

They run these ads in those free newspapers you see around with cooky articles. The names change from reigon to region. Here its called _creative loafing_

Their target market is mainly for use as jerk off devices.

Electro sex. The wave of the future.

Turiyan, Brahmin caste, Ordos clan

The REAL taichi:
http://www.wfdesign.com/tc/
http://www.wustyle.com/108.html

Sharky
05-06-2001, 03:17 AM
my mum got one ages ago - years n years ago when they cost stupid money. i get it out from time to time, but for me it takes too long to set up i need to strap everything on then wet each pad, then they dry up etc. however because of my tiredness thread i may get it out and do it while im studying. yea. thanks for reminding me. i'll slap it on my stomach and revise chemistry, good game

Edd

qeySuS
05-06-2001, 03:46 AM
Weapon Maker your like a god send :) I'm starting my weight training in a month or so and i was exactly looking for some strength building advice without putting on a lot of mass. I'd love all the advice you can give me.

My email is qeysus@simnet.is (anyone else have advice feel free to email me as well :) )

Free thinkers are dangerous.

Drache
05-06-2001, 03:56 AM
Weapon-Maker,
I am also looking for strength building advice without putting on a lot of mass, Thank you for your help.

my e-mail: Drachefire@yahoo.com

~Drache~

Sharky
05-06-2001, 03:59 AM
weapon maker why not just post it here dude?

id love to read it and im sure we all would?

Edd

Daniel Madar
05-06-2001, 08:43 AM
Actually, if you could email me, I have a few custom weapons I'd like to talk to you about.

zharoff@hotmail.com

IronFist
05-06-2001, 09:44 AM
Weapon-Maker said:

"My current body-weight is 145 lbs.I can currently dead-lift 375lbs.I can bench-press a maximum of 265lbs and I can curl a maximum of 105lbs"

Impressive, that's more than a lot of people who weigh 100lbs more than you can do. While you're throwing out numbers, how much can you squat? J/w.

At 145, what percent bodyfat are you?

Iron

Fu-Pow
05-06-2001, 06:52 PM
Seems like it could mess up your chi...I wouldn't do it...

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/logo.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee