PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this karate sparring vid?

IronFist
08-07-2011, 03:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bef9HPcrg8

Lebaufist
08-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Snappy, crisp. Classic bigger stocky power player against thinner speed demon.

Red pants relies too much on sneak hitting. Great leg control. Needs to take more advantage of openings in his forward advances created by his kicks. White Gi has no problem there.

White gi needs to use more of his legs/hips in his punching. Which of course would make his hits even heavier and more explosive. Just bend those knees a bit more.

mooyingmantis
08-07-2011, 03:44 PM
I observed the following problems:

The one being tested (red pants) tried to rely too heavily on kicks that really do not do much damage, especially against another kicker.

He also showed little aptitude in using his kicks as a "bridge" for his hand techniques, unlike his opponent. Throw kick, hope it lands. Throw kick, hope it lands.

Like most kickers, his hands were dropped out of a defensive position with the majority of his kicks. His opponent took full advantage of this by taking the kick, then moving in and pummeling him with punches.

I felt the instructor showed great versatility in his fighting repertoire, without trying to crush the student's spirit. :)

lkfmdc
08-07-2011, 07:11 PM
For what this is, basicly American rules / Karate based sparring there is nothing at all wrong with it

You do NOT have to go hard and try to KO each other to learn, in fact this level is actually a great level for developing new technique and "game"

Personally, I'd like to see low kicks and kick catches. It would eliminate the "flicky" kicks

If they could clinch and knee, the structure would be better and more realistic

If they added sweeps, takedowns and throws, even better

This is still a LOT better than a lot of TMA places

IronFist
08-07-2011, 08:04 PM
I thought it was a pretty good vid. Better than most karate sparring I have seen. Both guys looked much more competent than what you'd find at a McDojo.

HumbleWCGuy
08-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Both guys seemed to have to turn into a side stance to kick. It's a bit telegraphic but it also kills the power. This is very similar to PKA kickboxing. They could never really blend the boxing hands and karate kicks very well. There was rarely a smooth flow between kicks and punches. Neither guy had solid footwork. Red pants hopped to replace it (a common karate mistake), and white pants just kind of walked around.

Red pants should have just been run over over with that light kicking. White pants should have just taken off when he saw red pants chamber that leg.
White pants, was dropping his hands a lot. White pants was putting punches together, but not as crisply as I would like to see. He dropped his hands a lot.

Red pants needed a defensive jab, and a strategy for what to do when he was caught in close range. He could not and should not settle for trading punches.

xcakid
08-08-2011, 07:25 AM
You do NOT have to go hard and try to KO each other to learn, in fact this level is actually a great level for developing new technique and "game"

Personally, I'd like to see low kicks and kick catches. It would eliminate the "flicky" kicks

If they could clinch and knee, the structure would be better and more realistic

If they added sweeps, takedowns and throws, even better

I am XCAKID and I approve this message.

lkfmdc
08-08-2011, 07:31 AM
I am XCAKID and I approve this message.

everyone knows I am just trolling ;)

donjitsu2
08-08-2011, 10:58 AM
I thought it was a pretty good vid. Better than most karate sparring I have seen. Both guys looked much more competent than what you'd find at a McDojo.

My thoughts exactly.

The contact level wasn't high, but acceptable. The flashy kick stuff I could have done without, but overall it could have been a lot worse.

lkfmdc
08-08-2011, 11:04 AM
The "flicky" kicks are a long established tradition here in North America, they would disappear if we did more leg kicks and kick catching, but the tradition is still strong here

mooyingmantis
08-08-2011, 01:18 PM
The "flicky" kicks are a long established tradition here in North America, they would disappear if we did more leg kicks and kick catching, but the tradition is still strong here

Agreed! Leg jamming would also help eliminate it.

Darthlawyer
08-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Every rule system has its own flaws that people will take advantage of. In this case, when someone just lives standing on one leg because there are no rear legged sweeps/catches. I have nothing against "flicky" kicks used essentially as a boxer would use a jab to establish distance, provided that they are followed by a kick with more substance (i.e. power).

Actually, after I take a second look at this video, there is a bit of dotage to the senior instructor. I mean, obviously neither are going full power. I think if they were, the instructor lost. He simply disregards some well-placed front thrust kicks and side kicks--he walks through them to land his own shots. Assuming the guy in the white pants has the capability to put some "mustard" on his kicks, he'd have had the upper hand.

The big advantage I saw on the guy in red is that he gauged his distances a lot better. His instructor left his kicks short a lot.

That's the big problem with semi-contact type sparring: someone always ignores shots, its the kids playing "cops and robbers" "I shot you." "No, you didn't" "Yes I did" argument.

lkfmdc
08-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Every rule system has its own flaws that people will take advantage of.

I made this observation very early in my coaching career and it is why my students do so many different formats/venues

Darthlawyer
08-08-2011, 01:43 PM
I made this observation very early in my coaching career and it is why my students do so many different formats/venues

Smart decision. Otherwise you get people who can throw techniques quickly, only because they never "load up" on them (assuming you just did "point sparring" or "light contact"). Speed without power is useless, just like power without speed is also useless.

Or, if you are going full contact with a lot of pads or 14 oz or higher gloves, it just becomes an endurance contest.

Jimbo
08-08-2011, 01:56 PM
I remember taking a weeklong seminar with Bill Wallace in Irvine, CA in 1982, and he was the master at the flicking multiple kicks. He was the PKA middleweight champion, but unlike the WKA, the PKA never allowed leg kicks, etc. Most of us got to spar him during the week, and though he could hurt you with his kicks, esp. his side kicks and hook kicks, I found myself more concerned about his hands, particularly his left hook. He was a pretty decent boxer, and though he was controlling himself, I got popped harder with his hook than by his kicks. As a young guy, it taught me a good lesson, because his kicks got all the hype.

lkfmdc
08-08-2011, 02:06 PM
people who can throw techniques quickly, only because they never "load up" on them (assuming you just did "point sparring" or "light contact").

With a Lama/Choy Lay Fut base, we could not do point sparring, after being DQ'ed a billion times we knew we had to only do full contact formats

I remember taking a weeklong seminar with Bill Wallace in Irvine, CA in 1982, and he was the master at the flicking multiple kicks. He was the PKA middleweight champion, but unlike the WKA, the PKA never allowed leg kicks, etc.

It is said the PKa was made for Wallace, ie a no leg kick organization, he couldn't have done leg kick competition with his knee injury

Jimbo
08-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Yes, I heard that somewhere, too.
Also, that knee injury was why he hardy kicked with his right leg (and didn't really train it to kick; only as his base leg). He was a great fighter, but I shudder to think of him in a match with leg kicks, sweeps, etc.