PDA

View Full Version : Western or Shoalin

Martial Joe
02-20-2001, 07:33 PM
Wich is better for you body,western things like boxing or the things they do in the shoalin temple like the iron body and stuff?

Joe :cool:

whitelion
02-20-2001, 11:03 PM
I don't think it matters which one. It depends on which philosophy you subscribe to - Eastern theory or Western.

Ultimately they both achieve the same thing so it really is up to which you prefer.

------------------------------------
Talk softly and carry a big stick.

Martial Joe
02-21-2001, 01:36 AM
i think the shaolin is way more inneresting

whitelion
02-21-2001, 02:04 AM
I'd have to agree with you there. I think iron shirt training is much more interesting than the conditioning exercises that boxers use.

Martial Joe
02-21-2001, 02:07 AM
I think poeple are more drawn to the Shoalin because of their "odd" exercises,**** i think they are kool.I realy like when they hang them selves from that big tree and to their kung fu forms hanging...it is pretty neat!

Joe

whitelion
02-21-2001, 02:27 AM
I also think that the tradition also attracts people, and the different way of thinking. Some are fascinated by what is different (unfortunately many are scared by it).

How long have you trained in Wing Chun?

Love your picture BTW :)

Martial Joe
02-21-2001, 04:29 AM
Umm i would say 4.5-5 months...Why do i talk to much for not being 20 years exerienced?

Joe :cool:

neptunesfall
02-21-2001, 04:57 AM
n shaolin training is better. these exercises can be done anywhere with out special equipment. in my opinion, they are also of more benefit to a whole person, physically, mentally and spiritually.
yoga and shaolin training - both fall under isometric and moving isometric categories - are proven to give a lighter more durable type of muscle then weightlifting, the preferred training of most western boxers.

[This message was edited by neptunesfall on 02-21-01 at 07:06 PM.]

whitelion
02-21-2001, 05:30 AM
No, just curious.

This is a forum on kung fu, you can talk as much as you want :).

Martial Joe
02-21-2001, 07:41 AM
Well i dont know if you read my post on the KF forum and th WC forum..i seem to have big mouth...i want to take up iron body..can you guys give some realy good info on it?!?

Joe

whitelion
02-21-2001, 07:45 AM
Haven't read any of your other replies, but I will try not to judge you on that :). I think as long as you genuinely want to find out more about kung fu, then you have a right ot post and ask questions.

I personally don't actually know much about iron shirt training. I haven't ever had the opportunity to learn the art itself, but many styles incorporate iron shirt into their basic style.

For example, I train in Wu Chu Chuan. While there is no obvious iron shirt training going on, I have been told that many of the forms we practise help to develop iron shirt.

Probably doesn't help you much. Sorry :).

Martial Joe
02-21-2001, 09:08 AM
Wll thanks,,,but if anyone knows of any things i could do at home to conditon parts of my body(without the fear of arthris!!!) please tell me!

BIU JI
02-21-2001, 12:46 PM
I dunno about iron body, heard some stories about internal injuries as a result. Of those who practise it have you had any problems?

TigerFork
02-21-2001, 03:01 PM
i know many won't agree, but i think most forms of iron body etc. training have some form of QiGong associated , which is important to do so the body is strong enough to cope with the training.
for example i do some iron palm training , and always do some simple QiGong first, and after.also use the appropriate Dit Da etc.

Martial Joe
02-22-2001, 05:26 AM
Biu Ji...if your asking if i have any problems i dont because i dont do this stuff.But i would like to learne it.But do me a favor guys and try to ask around about it.Who knows maybe you will chek it out yourself.

Joe

wutangstyle
02-24-2001, 10:08 PM
I personally beleive that kung fu and taiji(incl pa kua and hsing i) are better at delveloping internal as well as externall strength and well being. try some chi kung ask your teacher for info on this.
peace

northshaolin
02-25-2001, 12:24 AM
Hey Martial Joe, I took a couple classes of wing chun and I asked the sifu there about iron forearm kung. He said you shouldn't do it because a wing chun practitioner has to be able to "feel" his opponent. I'm not sure about the other kungs though. I have a book about different iron kungs, etc. If you would like the directions to a specific one, I could send it to you.

Martial Joe
02-25-2001, 04:13 AM
Yes but i am thinking of not the limbs so i have legs and arms of rock i want a stronger body as in solor plexes and my skull so i can take harder hits to my body and head,maybe even throat but not like my balls,haha,ill take my chances of getting kicked there then beating on the everyday!

Joe

whitelion
02-25-2001, 04:30 AM
Iron body techniques do not necessarily reduce your sensitivity. They allow you to withstand the blows, but don't numb you altogether.

I wouldn't want to learn the iron gonad techniques either - the learning process looks too painful :).

Martial Joe
02-25-2001, 05:18 AM
Yes,and i may want a joe jr in the future if you get my drift!

Joe

northshaolin
02-25-2001, 09:10 AM
In this book I have, it says that one must focus his or her chi to where he or her is being hit. Something like that. Not some type of iron kung.

whitelion
02-25-2001, 11:51 PM
Apparently you'd have to be a Joe Jr to start iron gonad training anyway - once you hit puberty it's too late to train it.

Martial Joe
02-26-2001, 12:11 AM
Realy,How come?

Brad
02-26-2001, 12:24 AM
What's Wu Chu Chuan?

whitelion
02-26-2001, 02:28 AM
Martial Joe:

A lot of the iron gonad stuff involves pulling the testicles back into the pelvis, which is difficult to train once are too far into puberty (so I hear). Apart from that, I'm not too sure about the reasons, I had just heard that you have to start training it pre-puberty :).

Brad:

Wu Chu Chuan is also known as '5 Ancestor Fist'. The Hokkien name is Ngor Chor. It is a Fujian Shaolin style based on a combination of 5 seperate styles - monkey, white crane, lohan, taichor, and boddhidharma styles. Email me if you want more info :)

Kune
03-02-2001, 02:45 AM
If you want to learn Iron Body, be very wary of where or who you get the info from. There are many insta-iron body scams out there, especially on the internet. If you end up practicing one of these scams, you will end up either hurting yourself, or gettign nothing out of it. Its really really really hard to find someone who actually knows this technique. I would not recommend learning it from a book or video, because the chances of it being fake is prolly 99%. Well shoot.... if that stuff in the books and by mail stuff was for reals, we would see tons of invincible people runnin around, immune to blows. But ya know what, we dont see it do we? So ya, be very careful and take the time to look for someone who actually knows this stuff, coz this is your health your dealing with. But hey, thats just my humble opinion.