PDA

View Full Version : I've decided to be a LARPer

JamesC
08-08-2011, 05:43 PM
I've been working on my kickboxing skills for 4+ years now. Also, my basic grappling. I've got a background in muay thai and submission grappling. And some judo.

Anyways, I work in jail so I get to fight people regularly. I've never needed to use anything other than the basics.

Even so, i've decided that i'll just be a video learner of forms to keep my mobility and proprioception up while I focus on strength training again.

No real point to this thread really. Just saying. Flame away.

TenTigers
08-08-2011, 06:02 PM
which forms are you planning on learning/practicing?

Hardwork108
08-08-2011, 06:34 PM
I've been working on my kickboxing skills for 4+ years now. Also, my basic grappling. I've got a background in muay thai and submission grappling. And some judo.

Anyways, I work in jail so I get to fight people regularly. I've never needed to use anything other than the basics.

Even so, i've decided that i'll just be a video learner of forms to keep my mobility and proprioception up while I focus on strength training again.

If you want to learn forms properly then do it with a genuine kung fu teacher.

Subitai
08-08-2011, 07:49 PM

Pls forgive my ignorance but just browsing by the forum and I wondered what a "LARPer" is???

Or was it self explanitory because you pretty much described it??? is a LARPer just MMA of some sort??

bawang
08-08-2011, 07:51 PM
larping is ok as long as u have giant muskles

SPJ
08-08-2011, 07:57 PM
you already have your basics

they are bread and butter.

learning some forms would be a nice window on the dressing.

al thou you may not need to do that

---

lkfmdc
08-08-2011, 08:12 PM
I've decided to be a LARPer

you'll have to go back and read every work "hardwork" has ever written, and follow it to the letter. Then truly you will be a master of LARP'ing

PalmStriker
08-08-2011, 08:19 PM
you'll have to go back and read every work "hardwork" has ever written, and follow it to the letter. Then truly you will be a master of LARP'ing
Master LarpSung. I've heard of him. Flowery Fists Form-set.

omarthefish
08-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Pls forgive my ignorance but just browsing by the forum and I wondered what a "LARPer" is???

Or was it self explanitory because you pretty much described it??? is a LARPer just MMA of some sort??

Since nobody bothered to actually answer the questoin:

Live Action Role Playing.

For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSrIX5yrKdE&feature=related :D

JamesC
08-09-2011, 06:10 AM
lol, well...

I plan on just picking up some of Wing Lam's Hung Gar tapes and learning those.

Mostly because i'm working on my strength training right now so, hopefully, it will go hand-in-hand with that.

Again, i'm just doing it because I need something to keep my mobility and coordination up so I don't get slow and clumsy while I focus on lifting again.

sanjuro_ronin
08-09-2011, 06:23 AM
lol, well...

Mostly because i'm working on my strength training right now so, hopefully, it will go hand-in-hand with that.

Again, i'm just doing it because I need something to keep my mobility and coordination up so I don't get slow and clumsy while I focus on lifting again.

First off, WL's tapes are quite good, I have his Iron Wire dvd and it is very informative and quite close to the IW I learned.
Second off, forms don't = LARPING, sorry.
Forms+no-sparring+ my lineage is bigger than yours+It's not what I can but what stories I have heard that matters+ only I and those that agree with me have the real kung fu= LARP

JamesC
08-09-2011, 06:27 AM
I know, I was just being a smart ass. :D

Just saying that I plan on be a video learner for the next few months+.

My intention is to get a copy of Kung Gee Fuk Fu and learn that one since it is so **** complicated i'll probably end up spending all my available time on that one.

I'd also like to get a good staff set.

Scott R. Brown
08-09-2011, 07:27 AM
I plan on purchasing a" Live Action" video of adults having sex so I can review what I have been missing since I am married with a 3 year old who doesn't have her own room yet!

Is that LARPing?

JamesC
08-09-2011, 07:37 AM
I have a 2 year old and an 8 month old. I beat you.

Sex is hard to come by.

SPJ
08-09-2011, 07:41 AM
this invites another big question

that is what is considered a good routine or forms.

mantis forms are my favorites, they have everything

1. yang tai chi forms, nah, jumps and stomping feet are missing

2. ba gua. a lot of walking and walking

---

but each may cultivate or help your certain movements

gong zi fu hu or bow character taming tiger is good.

but we all start with standing in basic postures or stances first

please do not bring in qi and internal--

:D

JamesC
08-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Well, since mobility is my biggest concern, i'm also considering buying some of Jwing-Ming's LF DVDs as they seem to be a little more in-line with agility stuff.

I dunno. It's not terribly important which one I get. Just want to make sure I don't end up turning into a slow, clumsy, ruhtard. Whatever I can do to prevent the slow and clumsy part. :D

Scott R. Brown
08-09-2011, 08:03 AM
I have a 2 year old and an 8 month old. I beat you.

Sex is hard to come by.

LOL! Nice try, IN YOUR DREAMS!!!!:p

I also have a 20 year old and a 15 year old AND I formerly worked for the California Dept. of Corrections for 12 years, 4 as nurse and 8 as an Officer!

Pick something else to beat me at! I know, I bet you STILL have more sex than I do! LOL!;)

JamesC
08-09-2011, 08:09 AM

I also have a 20 year old and a 15 year old AND I formerly worked for the California Dept. of Corrections for 12 years, 4 as nurse and 8 as an Officer!

Pick something else to beat me at! I know, I bet you STILL have more sex than I do! LOL!;)

Victory was fun while it lasted. :(

Scott R. Brown
08-09-2011, 08:13 AM

Victory was fun while it lasted. :(

Yeah it is a fleeting thing isn't it?:)

ginosifu
08-09-2011, 08:37 AM
lol, well...

Well, since mobility is my biggest concern, i'm also considering buying some of Jwing-Ming's LF DVDs as they seem to be a little more in-line with agility stuff.

I dunno. It's not terribly important which one I get. Just want to make sure I don't end up turning into a slow, clumsy, ruhtard. Whatever I can do to prevent the slow and clumsy part. :D

You could also buy my Angry Monkey Fist DVD's - http://shaolininstitute.com/institute/OnlineStore.shtml

sorry had to do it LOL

ginosifu

ps: We have a 5, 3 and a 1 year old. We haven't had any sex since before the 1 year old. Gosh.. I'm getting old

bawang
08-09-2011, 08:45 AM
in the words of nancy kerrigan, why?

JamesC
08-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Why what??

SPJ
08-09-2011, 08:50 AM
this invites another big question

that is what is considered a good routine or forms.

mantis forms are my favorites, they have everything

1. yang tai chi forms, nah, jumps and stomping feet are missing

2. ba gua. a lot of walking and walking

---

but each may cultivate or help your certain movements

gong zi fu hu or bow character taming tiger is good.

but we all start with standing in basic postures or stances first

please do not bring in qi and internal--

my point was

yes each form is focusing or honing in somethings

so depending on what you need or want

costumize your practice drills/form

--

find right size shoe

tailor made your suit

etc etc

lkfmdc
08-09-2011, 08:54 AM
If you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to be a master LARP'er

http://www.ancientbattlessociety.com/en/org.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=330gnFxdf08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW9Y45UowlA&feature=related

Anyone want to guess WHO this is :D

JamesC
08-09-2011, 08:55 AM
I dunno...Hardwork?

lkfmdc
08-09-2011, 08:57 AM
I dunno...Hardwork?

OMG! :eek:

I actually didn't think anyone would get it!

but, YES!

(actually, it is his sifu, the master of the ultra secret highly effective combat kung fu)

bawang
08-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Why what??

why learn form from books and videos

JamesC
08-09-2011, 09:00 AM
why learn form from books and videos

Because i'm looking for a form or two to do for my agility work on my rest days while i'm strength training.

That's about it really. I'd rather have something halfway fun to do for my agility drills than doing some simple jumping patterns on the floor as they get old fast.

bawang
08-09-2011, 09:01 AM
cant you learn from a legitimate guy instead of books and videos? thats embarrasing

JamesC
08-09-2011, 09:03 AM
No, that's my point.

I'm not looking for anything involved. I already know how to kickbox and grapple. I've been doing it for years. I'm just looking for some light form work I can do on my off days of lifting so I don't get slow.

Scott R. Brown
08-09-2011, 09:03 AM
OMG! :eek:

I actually didn't think anyone would get it!

but, YES!

(actually, it is his sifu, the master of the ultra secret highly effective combat kung fu)

he doesn't know how to use a gladius very well. You don't slash with it you poke, prod and stab!

JamesC
08-09-2011, 09:04 AM
he doesn't know how to use a gladius very well. You don't slash with it you poke, prod and stab!

That's what she said.

Brule
08-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Because i'm looking for a form or two to do for my agility work on my rest days while i'm strength training.

That's about it really. I'd rather have something halfway fun to do for my agility drills than doing some simple jumping patterns on the floor as they get old fast.

May i direct you to this JamesC...

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60816

Scott R. Brown
08-09-2011, 09:07 AM
that's what she said.

lol!:d

7-8-9-10

bawang
08-09-2011, 09:08 AM
i dont know how doing a form, especially a hung kuen form is going to improve your agility.

youre gonna be squatting around and occasionally making high pitched crane noises.

since learning forms from dvd and books isnt legitimate in the first place, why not just learn from youtube? its a waste of money.

lkfmdc
08-09-2011, 09:12 AM

you say that because you never learned the REAL gladius and aren't qualified to discuss the real training methodology :D

JamesC
08-09-2011, 09:17 AM
i dont know how doing a form, especially a hung kuen form is going to improve your agility.

youre gonna be squatting around and occasionally making high pitched crane noises.

since learning forms from dvd and books isnt legitimate in the first place, why not just learn from youtube? its a waste of money.

You're killing me Bawang.

Because, when you are drinking a Gallon of Milk a Day, setting personal records every workout 3 times a week, you tend to get a lot bigger, a lot faster. When this happens you get slower and less coordinated because of the rapid weight gain.

This will be the second time i've bulked like this.

Now, I COULD go run or do some agility drills, but my biggest concern is affecting my recovery for my next squat and deadlift workout. That means that on my rest days I can only do light agility work to keep my mobility up, otherwise I won't be able to increase my weight in my lifts for my next workout.

Now, Hung Gar is probably not a good idea because, like you said, i'd be squatting too much. What i'm needing is something more in line with the northern forms that has a little bit of jumping, hopping, turning, kicking, and twisting in coordination with upper arm and trunk movement.

It doesn't really matter if I learn the form properly. I'm not wanting one for that. I'm wanting one that will be halfway fun to do because i'll be needing to practice it a couple times a week.

I'm not wanting to learn it to teach someone.

bawang
08-09-2011, 09:23 AM
well, if you have no sense of shame or remorse, i suggest choosing something original. dont learn mainstream stereotypical xingyibaguataijibajishaolin, find something rare and obscure, that would be pretty cool.

JamesC
08-09-2011, 09:26 AM
lol, fair enough.

Any recommendations? Like I said, I don't really care what it is as long as it meets my criteria.

And, no, I have no shame. Or remorse.

bawang
08-09-2011, 09:28 AM
let me activate my chinese google powers

1 sex pls

Snipsky
08-09-2011, 09:32 AM
What is wrong with learning how to fight with the gung fu system you know, but also learning the rest of the culturally based stuff including forms and lion dancing?

for example, johnny b. goode knows how to grapple, throw, and stand up fighting. but if he also practices forms and lion dancing as well whats the problem there?

JamesC
08-09-2011, 09:33 AM
What is wrong with learning how to fight with the gung fu system you know, but also learning the rest of the culturally based stuff including forms and lion dancing?

I don't understand your question. I don't practice kung fu, typically.

JamesC
08-09-2011, 09:34 AM

for example, johnny b. goode knows how to grapple, throw, and stand up fighting. but if he also practices forms and lion dancing as well whats the problem there?

Reread the thread please.

Again...

I'M NOT TRYING TO LEARN A STYLE OF KUNG FU HERE. I AM LOOKING FOR A FORM THAT I CAN INCORPORATE INTO MY WORKOUTS FOR AGILITY AND MOBILITY WORK ONLY.

Snipsky, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Snipsky
08-09-2011, 09:35 AM
I don't understand your question. I don't practice kung fu, typically.

Based off of most of the opinons here, lion dancing and forms are out dated, but even today traditional schools still teach forms and lion dancing. so, if a fighter can fight whats wrong with learning the other stuff a traditional school has to offer?

Snipsky, I have no idea what you're talking about.

If you've never practiced gung fu, then i understand your confusion.

JamesC
08-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Based off of most of the opinons here, lion dancing and forms are out dated, but even today traditional schools still teach forms and lion dancing. so, if a fighter can fight whats wrong with learning the other stuff a traditional school has to offer?

Okay, now I understand. My apologies.

Your question was just slightly off-topic is all.

I agree with you. I think they should definitely be included. That's just my opinion.

Snipsky
08-09-2011, 09:37 AM
I'M NOT TRYING TO LEARN A STYLE OF KUNG FU HERE. I AM LOOKING FOR A FORM THAT I CAN INCORPORATE INTO MY WORKOUTS FOR AGILITY AND MOBILITY WORK ONLY.

then why come to a kung fu forum to be more agile? take up parkour. gymanstics, ballet, or play football or something. why a kung fu forum?

JamesC
08-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Because I practice martial arts, just not kung fu. And I like learning about kung fu. Lots of history and this boards has a huge knowledge base.

I apologize for my post. I misunderstood what you were writing.

Snipsky
08-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Because I practice martial arts, just not kung fu. And I like learning about kung fu. Lots of history and this boards has a huge knowledge base.

I apologize for my post. I misunderstood what you were writing.

it's ok mr officer. i was just asking. curious to see your answer. good one too. thanks bro.

bawang
08-09-2011, 09:41 AM
you want the leaping around kind of form?

JamesC
08-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Preferably something with some jumps in it, yes.

Lol, you're gonna have me doing something ridiculous I know it.

Snipsky
08-09-2011, 09:43 AM
you want the leapy fairy kind or the strong big muskle kind of form?

why not a combination of "big muskle kind" that can do the "leapy fairy" stuff?

bawang
08-09-2011, 09:44 AM
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTQzNzM2ODcy.html

this ok?

Scott R. Brown
08-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Preferably something with some jumps in it, yes.

Lol, you're gonna have me doing something ridiculous I know it.

I recommend ZUMBA it is all the rage with the gals!

JamesC
08-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Is that a style of white crane?

Snipsky
08-09-2011, 09:48 AM
That guy moves like he's squeezing back a turtle head LMAO

bawang
08-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Is that a style of white crane?

its a style called soft hard fist, the form is called cloud crane

JamesC
08-09-2011, 09:50 AM
I actually kind of liked it.

bawang
08-09-2011, 09:51 AM
the form is very basic and obvious, a few blocks , flying kick then single leg takedown, then repeat on other side. you can just learn form that video.

bawang
08-09-2011, 10:07 AM
i reall think if you insist on learning from video, that you learn this form. then you will be the manliest larper ever.

Scott R. Brown
08-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Was that your Auntie doing the form? She looks a lot like your mom!

GeneChing
08-09-2011, 10:36 AM
We totally support LARPers here. LARPers shop at MartialArtsMart.com (http://www.martialartsmart.com/) and provide substantial income that helps fund our magazine and other related projects. They may not be fighting for realz, but at least they put their money where their mouth is. :eek:

;)

Lucas
08-09-2011, 12:40 PM
honestly, this is where i see the best value in contemporary routines. if you want something that will have you flying and using maximum flexibility and stability control, working agility and acrobatic ability, you could try to pick up a competition routine. this type of stuff, just pick up a crazy modern wushu longfist staff routine.

bawang
08-09-2011, 12:42 PM
but modern wushu has no honor

Lucas
08-09-2011, 12:43 PM
but modern wushu has no honor

but he isnt looking for honor!! he gets many honor from beating up our criminals on a regular basis, i respect his violence.

bawang
08-09-2011, 12:44 PM
even in larping, you must do it with honor, and grim resolve.

Lucas
08-09-2011, 12:45 PM
even in larping, you must do it with honor, and grim resolve.

oh........:(

ShaolinDan
08-09-2011, 01:05 PM
You can find the compulsory nan quan on line... even find it broken down in slow motion. That's a pretty good form, if you like the southern flavor but want some good footwork and jumping. It's a good workout too, a lot of height changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxQrZCmUE7U&feature=related

Not rare or unique, but that way if you ever want to find a teacher to help you clean it up it will be easy.

bawang
08-09-2011, 01:05 PM
correct larping
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRInQ7ZECuc&feature=related

doing it wrong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnk8DxaXUac

mooyingmantis
08-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I plan on purchasing a" Live Action" video of adults having sex so I can review what I have been missing since I am married with a 3 year old who doesn't have her own room yet!

Is that LARPing?

Do you live in the woods?????? Surely you have a shower or bathtub! :D

lkfmdc
08-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Gene, your company is totally missing out on the Roman gladiator market!

http://www.ancientbattlessociety.com/en/org.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=330gnFxdf08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW9Y45UowlA&feature=related

mooyingmantis
08-09-2011, 01:13 PM

So, did you get more sex at home, or at the prison??? :eek:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :o

rett
08-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Who would fight for real these days with swords? You'd have to be crazy.

GeneChing
08-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Gene, your company is totally missing out on the Roman gladiator market!

Actually, I've been hoping the ninja LARPing world would take off a little more. After all, that's what NINJASTAR (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58511) is all about. There's pirate LARPing (http://piratefestivals.com/), zombie LARPing (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50475), even faerie LARPing (http://www.faerieworlds.com/). Where my ninjas at?

SPJ
08-09-2011, 04:40 PM
LARPs

I thought it is a rocket/missile or fishing fork.

my bad.

PalmStriker
08-09-2011, 07:41 PM
but modern wushu has no honor Yes, manly TCMA video for best manly agility portfolio.:)

PalmStriker
08-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Actually, I've been hoping the ninja LARPing world would take off a little more. After all, that's what NINJASTAR (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58511) is all about. There's pirate LARPing (http://piratefestivals.com/), zombie LARPing (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50475), even faerie LARPing (http://www.faerieworlds.com/). Where my ninjas at?
Most larpers scared of heights. Ninjas climb (Got Climb?) T-shirts? Probably slow sales. Ninja contest girls love to climb and laugh at grounded people. :)

SPJ
08-09-2011, 08:30 PM
I may have hinted it from my previous post in this thread.

actually instead of long forms.

a low horse squat is very good for lower leg strength

and strengthening your hip, knee joints

if you align your back naturally, it is good for your back

after so long time of sitting or lying around with not natural spin alignment

you just assume the low squat and line up your back and neck joint etc

stand and hold

--

do not bring in qi theory and internal---

--