PDA

View Full Version : shin splints on my forearms?

ninja turtle
02-21-2001, 06:59 AM
I've started punching with more speed and power- but my form must not be good. Whenever I do a front-two-knuckle-punch(you know- start with arms tucked to your side, palms up, fists made, and turn arms/hands over while extending into target- right, left, right, left.) it feels like my forearm muscles are going to fly off the bone due to too much centrifugal force. When I clentch my forearm muscles just before my fists are to hit, it doesn't hurt- but, it's much slower and there's far less power- it doesn't feel right. Any ideas? ----- no, I'm not punching "too" well- it's definitely not a good thing- I don't think.

whitelion
02-21-2001, 07:05 AM
Are you punching a bag, or punching the air?

------------------------------------
Talk softly and carry a big stick.

ninja turtle
02-22-2001, 06:40 PM
most often it hurts while punching the air. ridge hand strikes are bad, but hammer strikes hurt the worst. I've felt it in my kicks a handful of times in the past year- there was a lot(comparatively speaking) of power, but terrible form. That's why I don't think I'm punching correctly.

02-22-2001, 07:15 PM
ninja.....sound to me like your muscles are "sore" from the practicing.....have you gave them a massage and taking a little rest?.......that might be all you need....

3-7-77

whitelion
02-24-2001, 01:00 PM
Could be hyperextension during the punch. I experienced this a few years ago. Where is the pain in particular? Just below the elbow, or close to the wrist?

I found a few years ago that I was flicking my punches upwards from the cocked position. It felt like there wa much more power, but after punching like this for a while I found the muscle just below the elbow was very painful, as well as the ligaments/tendons around the elbow.

After I straightened up my punch - had it coming straight out from the cocked position - the problem went away.

Another possibility may be that you are tensing too much at contact.

I am not a trained medical professional so please take my advice with a pinch of salt, and if it gets worse see a doctor :).

------------------------------------
Talk softly and carry a big stick.

ninja turtle
02-24-2001, 08:22 PM
The pain is just above my wrist(on the inside and outside sides of my arm when it is fully extended- though not on the broad side of my arm)
They aren't sore at any other time- except when I am curling weights with bad form and end up using my wrist. It feels like the muscle is peeling from the bone.
I'm not "flicking", or hyper-extending(often).
I'm not tensing too much either- in fact I wasn't tensing much at all- that's when it hurt. When I do tense up my lower forearm, it doesn't hurt at all, and I generate very little speed/power. I occasionally over-rotate my hand/arm(improper form). The pain only happens with improper form, or too much speed/power with strikes that rotate my lower arm.

Thank you all for your help. If you have any other ideas, they will be appreciated as well.