PDA

View Full Version : Relativity

Ray Pina
08-11-2011, 07:32 AM
You meet your nephew at a family BBQ and he tells you he's playing baseball. Two questions come to mind: "What position do you play?" "What is your team's record."

He responds that he plays all the positions by himself in his backyard but has never played an organized game because he was too good..... :confused:

JamesC
08-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Well, Ray, he's a weirdo.

And, yes, I see what you're doing here.

Ray Pina
08-11-2011, 07:34 AM
... and then he goes on to sell How to be a pro baseball player DVD collection and is featured in Baseball magazine.

bawang
08-11-2011, 07:36 AM
you should just pat him on his back, and tell him "good for you". then he will become a baseball coach.

Lucas
08-11-2011, 07:38 AM
Challenge him. If he says no, let him dream, if he says yes, wake him up.

Snipsky
08-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Just tell him....

"Anyone who's competed in Baseball understands this".................:D

MightyB
08-11-2011, 07:41 AM
You meet your nephew at a family BBQ and he tells you he's playing baseball. Two questions come to mind: "What position do you play?" "What is your team's record."

He responds that he plays all the positions by himself in his backyard but has never played an organized game because he was too good..... :confused:

He wanted to play baseball, but there were no players anywhere - so he had to play football. When a kid in his neighborhood tried to organize their first game - all the football players criticized the players for not being as good as the New York Yankees.

TenTigers
08-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Tell him that he doesn't know the true baseball. There are methods to running the bases that are only revealed to insiders. Had he studied under a real coach, he would understand this.

pateticorecords
08-11-2011, 07:55 AM

ask him to post a video online so he can prove that he play all positions;)

ask him to play against other players to prove his skill

David Jamieson
08-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Beat him with a bat and the save the world a problem. :p

CFT
08-11-2011, 08:03 AM
He plays the original rules baseball in da street, not the sportified version with uniforms and leagues.

Snipsky
08-11-2011, 08:05 AM
He plays the original rules baseball in da street, not the sportified version with uniforms and leagues.

Hey gangs are street level leagues, and the hoods have their own uniforms. :D

Lucas
08-11-2011, 08:07 AM
As to the correlation, I was being serious, if someone is happy living in a fantasy realm it can be ok, so long as they aren't too far deluded. With martial arts this can be dangerous, they may act when they shouldn't. I think if you care or respect someone its in their best interests for the bubble to be burst.

pateticorecords
08-11-2011, 08:13 AM
a kid tells his parents he would like to play the piano, there is only one piano instructor in his area (though he is not great)... he decides to take lessons, he learns and perfects what he is taught.

He continues playing even after he surpassed his teacher, he continues to explore piano playing on his own, he studies the piano techniques of others on line so he can better his playing, and he is HAPPY with what HE has accomplished.

However...

He is not a concert player, ever played in an band, or played in front of people... so that means skills are worthless.... correct?

Or maybe he has played in front of others but he is no Liberachi, so he should quit playing... correct?

Maybe he is a virtuoso but is not interested in proving to others what he can do, so that mean he truly knows nothing... correct?

Maybe it is hobby for him, and he has no intention on playing in public or post videos on online or record himself playing... it is something he does for himself. Does this mean he is wasting his time?

EVERYBODY has their OWN reasons for what they do, learn, or have interest in...

IronWeasel
08-11-2011, 08:24 AM
a kid tells his parents he would like to play the piano, there is only one piano instructor in his area (though he is not great)... he decides to take lessons, he learns and perfects what he is taught.

He continues playing even after he surpassed his teacher, he continues to explore piano playing on his own, he studies the piano techniques of others on line so he can better his playing, and he is HAPPY with what HE has accomplished.

However...

He is not a concert player, ever played in an band, or played in front of people... so that means skills are worthless.... correct?

Or maybe he has played in front of others but he is no Liberachi, so he should quit playing... correct?

Maybe is a virtuoso but is not interested in proving to others what he can do, so that mean he truly knows nothing... correct?

Maybe it is hobby for him, and he has no intention on playing in public or post videos on online or record himself playing... it is something he does for himself. Does this mean he is wasting his time?

EVERYBODY has their OWN reasons for what they do, learn, or have interest in...

Suppose his teacher convinces him that Chopsticks os the highest form of Piano performance.

so the student learns Chopsticks and practices that exclusively (read: chi-sao).

Then beaming with pride, the student appears at a public performance and.....

BAM....he's on this forum with three accounts.

sanjuro_ronin
08-11-2011, 08:25 AM
The vast majority of people do things for many reasons but the honest truth is that only a very small percentage do it 100% for themselves.
I think baseball was a bad analogy since it can't be played by oneself.
Shooting hoops is not playing basketball either.
I think that Ray could have used an analogy closer to "home"- surfing.
EX:
You meet your nephew at a family BBQ and he tells you he's a surfer. Two questions come to mind: "Where do you surf" "have you competed?."

He responds that he surfs in a pond by himself in his backyard when it gets wavy but has never surfed the ocean waves or competed because he is good enough.

pateticorecords
08-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Suppose his teacher convinces him that Chopsticks os the highest form of Piano performance.

so the student learns Chopsticks and practices that exclusively (read: chi-sao).

Then beaming with pride, the student appears at a public performance and.....

BAM....he's on this forum with three accounts.

hahaha... I am agreement with you but based on the initial post that is what is being suggested, is it?

I think there is too much emphasis on what other people are doing, claiming, teaching, whatever... there are always those who will sell snake oils, other that commercialize what they do for profit, others that do it for hobby, and those who do it for it's purity... this applies to everything in life no just sports and martial arts.

SPJ
08-11-2011, 09:00 AM
there are several statistics

1. what is your batting average?

offense. that has to be done with a machine throwing balls at you or somebody else pitching for you.

you also need a catcher.

all by yourself, ok not possible.

2. what is your pitching average?

ball, strike over how many times you throws in games

all by yourself not possible.

3. how fast and how hard is your throwing or pitching

measurable by machines and videos.

4. how fast and how hard is your swining your bat

measurable by machines and videos.

let us see some numbers

over a season, over a year

over your lifetime of playing in games

all by yourself

then you have to use wii, ps2 or xbox

---

Taixuquan99
08-11-2011, 09:10 AM
So now we're supposed to police Ray's stupid nephew, too?

This alone has made me rethink my entire reason for practicing martial arts.

TenTigers
08-11-2011, 09:20 AM
a kid tells his parents he would like to be a great lover, there is only one sex instructor in his area (though she is not great looking)... he decides to take lessons, he learns and perfects what he is taught.

He continues playing with himself even after he can no longer supply crack for his teacher, he continues to explore playing on his own, he studies the techniques of others on line so he can better his playing, and he is HAPPY with what HE has accomplished.

However...

He is not a player, ever played with a girl, or played with several people... so that means skills are worthless.... correct?

Or maybe he has played with others but he is no John Holmes, so he should quit playing... correct?

Maybe he is a virtuoso but is not interested in proving to others what he can do, so that mean he truly knows nothing... correct?

Maybe it is hobby for him, and he has no intention on playing with himself in public or post videos on online or record himself playing with himself... it is something he does for himself. Does this mean he is wasting his time?

there..fixed it..kinda...
if I was a moderator, I'd lock this thread and ban me...

Snipsky
08-11-2011, 09:31 AM
So now we're supposed to police Ray's stupid nephew, too?

This alone has made me rethink my entire reason for practicing martial arts.

but yet, here you still are. on a kung fu forum. that also disguises itself as a MMA haven.

SPJ
08-11-2011, 09:52 AM
this reminds me of the story of red leaf team

they were little league baseball team from taiwan.

there was no budget for these kids

they have to make shift or make do

they bat at used tires hanging from trees

to get right posture and swing at tires

why, there are not enough baseballs for every one to practice

there were not enough mittens either

so every one takes turns to use the mitten to catch

--

they won the little league world series

I watched them live on black and white tv (I had to wake up in early morning)

they won taiwan national game, far east game beating Japan (with all the nicety of balls and mittens and professional career in the horizon/future)

they won world series in US.

--

good tale to tell anyone or any niece

--

hong ye or the spirit of red leave

--

they got to keep their uniforms and shoes/socks.

:cool:

pateticorecords
08-11-2011, 10:18 AM
there..fixed it..kinda...
if I was a moderator, I'd lock this thread and ban me...

you are too funny, literally laughing out loud:D

YouKnowWho
08-11-2011, 11:43 AM

The problem is the longer that he waits for his 1st organized game, the less chance that he will have any good record out of it, and the more that he may think he is a true master.

-N-
08-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Isn't he the guy that says he can knock the ball out of the park without touching it?

Lucas
08-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Isn't he the guy that says he can knock the ball out of the park without touching it?

only can he do that to his ball...

Dragonzbane76
08-11-2011, 12:08 PM
would you not say there is a big difference between piano and MA's in general and the 2 are not very compatible for comparison? I can understand your point of view but there is a difference between getting beat in the face and playing a piano in my books. just my 2 cents though.

Lucas
08-11-2011, 12:10 PM
would you not say there is a big difference between piano and MA's in general and the 2 are not very compatible for comparison? I can understand your point of view but there is a difference between getting beat in the face and playing a piano in my books. just my 2 cents though.

you can use the piano analogy if you involve piano competition. where the majority of competitors have competed before, and have a full range of training, as compared to a mostly self taught individual.

the self taught guy will generally always loose once he gets to a certain 'level' of competition.

Dragonzbane76
08-11-2011, 12:14 PM
i grasp your connection, just not the compatibility of the 2 for comparision. Competition in MA's is a much more rigorous endevor in my opinion. Of course I don't know the in's and out's of professions piano playing competitions so my opinion is not a water tight one on that level.

I guess we could compare almost anything but my thoughts are it's lost in the details most times.

Lucas
08-11-2011, 12:15 PM
i grasp your connection, just not the compatibility of the 2 for comparision. Competition in MA's is a much more rigorous endevor in my opinion. Of course I don't know the in's and out's of professions piano playing competitions so my opinion is not a water tight one on that level.

I guess we could compare almost anything but my thoughts are it's lost in the details most times.

ya no, i do agree, i dont remember who brought up piano and im too lazy to look, i was just being an advocate ...just to be a d!ck :D

imo the best thing is to not need a comparative analogy and just use the issue at hand. it muddles it up too much.

its like oranges and grapefruits. close, but not close enough.

pateticorecords
08-11-2011, 12:22 PM

I live martial arts... I see everything I do in my everyday life through its scope so to me there isn't a big difference between mastering an instrument, mastering cooking techniques, mastering martial arts, etc.

It takes time, effort, practice, technique, patience to master the piano

It takes time, effort, practice, technique, patience to master the fighting arts

:D

Lucas
08-11-2011, 12:25 PM
this is true. however when comparing the two, it would be much easier to become profecient at playing the piano, by yourself, once you reach a certain point. where as in martial arts, you MUST fight other people to get good at it, and in essence have continual coaching, even if it comes in the format of learning via fighting.

i think the correlation to a pianist would be competition or constant critique from an outside source.

Lucas
08-11-2011, 12:27 PM
we have all met musicians who 'think' they are great but arent, and likewise for martial artists. i think the connection is often one and the same, too much time alone. or simply not enough talent or hard work.

YouKnowWho
08-11-2011, 12:27 PM
What's the different between a scholar and a TCMA guy?

When a scholar tries to answer 10 questions in exam, if he has problem on Q3, he can skip it and works on Q4. After he has finished Q10, he can then go back to work on Q3.

When a guy stabs his dagger at a TCMA guy's chest, he had only 1/10 second to response. He will never have the 2nd chance like the scholar has.

Dragonzbane76
08-11-2011, 12:31 PM
where as in martial arts, you MUST fight other people to get good at it, and in essence have continual coaching, even if it comes in the format of learning via fighting.

this is what I'm stating about the details.

I agree with you pate. to a certain extent, you are describing to me the passion and drive and dedication it takes and I have no argument on those accords. My thoughts were that it's a different animal between the 2 of MA's and piano. Piano is a solo thing, for MA's you have to have an opponent to grasp the "details"

pateticorecords
08-11-2011, 12:34 PM
we have all met musicians who 'think' they are great but arent, and likewise for martial artists. i think the connection is often one and the same, too much time alone. or simply not enough talent or hard work.

totally agree with you... ;)

sanjuro_ronin
08-11-2011, 12:34 PM
I know this is going beyond the original point of the thread, but:

A MA NEEDS an opponent to understand his system, but it is ALONE that he perfects it.

Many times people take the "alone path" before they are ready.

pateticorecords
08-11-2011, 12:35 PM
this is what I'm stating about the details.

I agree with you pate. to a certain extent, you are describing to me the passion and drive and dedication it takes and I have no argument on those accords. My thoughts were that it's a different animal between the 2 of MA's and piano. Piano is a solo thing, for MA's you have to have an opponent to grasp the "details"

I agree with you...

However, the point I was trying to make is that you shouldn't worry so much about about what X, Y, or Z are doing... it's their prerogative to pursue whatever they so desire... if they make claims to this or that it shouldn't matter to you as an individual unless it affects you. So what if they think they can fly, destroy walls with their Qi, kill someone with one touch, fight anyone on the planet....

Why care so much about it? Why spend so much time debating it?

Lucas
08-11-2011, 12:36 PM

A MA NEEDS an opponent to understand his system, but it is ALONE that he perfects it.

very valid point

taai gihk yahn
08-11-2011, 12:38 PM
relative humidity, def.: the beads of sweat that accumulate on ur ballz while ur f*cking ur sister

just seemed important to clarify that here for sum reason...

Lucas
08-11-2011, 12:39 PM
I agree with you...

However, the point I was trying to make is that you shouldn't worry so much about about what X, Y, or Z are doing... it's their prerogative to pursue whatever they so desire... if they make claims to this or that it shouldn't matter to you as an individual unless it affects you. So what if they think they can fly, destroy walls with their Qi, kill someone with one touch, fight anyone on the planet....

Why care so much about it? Why spend so much time debating it?

on that we are of the same mind. let them dream who need not be awakened. but like in my earlier post, this can be dangerous with MA. what if you get someone who truly believes they are a fighter, but are anything but. at what point is it a responsibility of yours (as one who can see the truth about them) to let them on to their error? if you care or respect them enough that is...You certainly would not want them trying to confront a situation they are not prepared for based on self inflicted ignorance.

pateticorecords
08-11-2011, 12:39 PM

Words of Wisdom:)

BTW, I am not trying to argue with anyone... it is only my point of view.

I have always been a proponent of trying things out to see if they work, practice with as many people as possible (especially if they train in other arts), and incorporate as much as you can (striking, grappling, kicking, etc) to advance your skills

Lucas
08-11-2011, 12:41 PM
no one is arguing, we are simply discussing as mature gentlemen. ;) :p

pateticorecords
08-11-2011, 12:42 PM
on that we are of the same mind. let them dream who need not be awakened. but like in my earlier post, this can be dangerous with MA. what if you get someone who truly believes they are a fighter, but are anything but. at what point is it a responsibility of yours (as one who can see the truth about them) to let them on to their error? if you care or respect them enough that is...You certainly would not want them trying to confront a situation they are not prepared for based on self inflicted ignorance.

If and when the time comes and you have that relationship of trust with the person to call them out and/or talk to them about it... then of course do it otherwise they will learn the hard way... really HARD way...lol:)

sanjuro_ronin
08-11-2011, 12:43 PM

Who, according to taai, get sweaty balls from doing our sisters.
Sick *******.

Lucas
08-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Who, according to taai, get sweaty balls from doing our sisters.
Sick *******.

oh i was mistaken, i thought he meant his own sister... :eek:

pateticorecords
08-11-2011, 12:52 PM

I know, I know...hahaha... I just want to make sure that I am mistaken for a TROLL or something...lol

I read most of the threads and comment on some... I try to be respectful of other people's opinions (and their delusions for that matter...lol) and express my thoughts on certain subjects;)

MightyB
08-11-2011, 01:08 PM
oh i was mistaken, i thought he meant his own sister... :eek:

What's his sister look like?
http://cdn100bne.bluehatnetwork.com/components/com_joomgallery/img_pictures/animated_gifs_1/pop-out-eyes-funny-animated-gifs_20090709_1459134369.gif

Dragonzbane76
08-11-2011, 02:18 PM
I concur that if someone wants to learn whatever it my be than so be it. I have no issue with that. It's someone trying to teach someone else something that will probably get them killed instead of saving there life that I take issue with. If you are shoving pickles up your butt in a stately manner and practiced proceedure then by all means do so but don't try to teach someone else. :p

SPJ
08-11-2011, 03:40 PM
What's the different between a scholar and a TCMA guy?

When a scholar tries to answer 10 questions in exam, if he has problem on Q3, he can skip it and works on Q4. After he has finished Q10, he can then go back to work on Q3.

When a guy stabs his dagger at a TCMA guy's chest, he had only 1/10 second to response. He will never have the 2nd chance like the scholar has.

agreed to a certain degree

yes, fighting is a brief moment thing. we have to be razor sharp both in excution of movement and thinking/analysis.

scholars may have all time they need to revisit the same Q,

but a fighter would also review his or her fights afterwards but not at the moment.

:)

SPJ
08-11-2011, 06:31 PM
this reminds me of the story of red leaf team

they were little league baseball team from taiwan.

there was no budget for these kids

they have to make shift or make do

they bat at used tires hanging from trees

to get right posture and swing at tires

why, there are not enough baseballs for every one to practice

there were not enough mittens either

so every one takes turns to use the mitten to catch

--

they won the little league world series

I watched them live on black and white tv (I had to wake up in early morning)

they won taiwan national game, far east game beating Japan (with all the nicety of balls and mittens and professional career in the horizon/future)

they won world series in US.

--

good tale to tell anyone or any niece

--

hong ye or the spirit of red leave

--

they got to keep their uniforms and shoes/socks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA-b0GGNmSE

in 1968, bare foot red leave team defeated Japan in little league.

SPJ
08-11-2011, 06:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC-sVXdhmxY

legend of bare foot red leave baseball team.

RenDaHai
08-11-2011, 10:03 PM
I think a better sport analogy of MA would be;

There are a group of guys who enjoy playing tennis together. They are very good at it. Then some group of guys come along and challenge them to a game of soccer. The guys who played soccer then laughed at them because they kept smacking the ball over the net with their hands, breaking a rule and scoring no points.

What the soccer guys didn't realise is that if they tried to play tennis they would keep trying to kick a ball which is too small to be kicked and hit it into the net which would score them no points.

What neither of them realise is that they both suck at basketball.

A wing Chun guy would get hurt in an octagon, an MMA guy would get whipped at Chi Sao, Both would get destroyed in a TKD kick-off. Want to compare their kung fu in real life? See who has a better life. WHo is happier, a better person, who knows themself. MA is to improve your whole life, not to be good at a sport.

No matter how good at fighting you get, someone will have the ability to beat you, its like rock paper scissors, no one is strongest. (except me)

YouKnowWho
08-11-2011, 11:20 PM
MA is to improve your whole life, not to be good at a sport.

Why not have both? You can compete as much as you can when you are young. After you are too old to compete, you will have the rest of your life to "improve your whole life". TCMA can give you combat, fun, and health. Without fun (sport), the TCMA will not be "complete".

Taixuquan99
08-12-2011, 08:36 AM

The pressure involved in not blowing a performance and not blowing it in sparring is remarkably similar, assuming similar levels of pride in the specific undertaking.

lkfmdc
08-12-2011, 08:55 AM
The pressure involved in not blowing a performance and not blowing it in sparring is remarkably similar, assuming similar levels of pride in the specific undertaking.

Pressures, yes, the same, hardly

All you need to focus on in forms is YOURSELF

In a fight, you have to focus on the other guy and the other guy can increasingly make you worse

edit: ok you said "sparring" but it is still true, it is just MORE pressure in a real fight

MasterKiller
08-12-2011, 09:17 AM

LOL! People don't lose consciousness when they "blow" a form. :rolleyes:

JamesC
08-12-2011, 09:30 AM

Somehow, I can't picture someone struggling, like I did, not to vomit and **** themselves when their fight or flight instincts kick in about 2 minutes before a fight.

Dragonzbane76
08-12-2011, 12:27 PM
LOL! People don't lose consciousness when they "blow" a form.

need I or anyone else say more!

and this is not talking about sparring. There is a difference between sparring and going out in front of people and fighting full tilt.

SPJ
08-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Why not have both? You can compete as much as you can when you are young. After you are too old to compete, you will have the rest of your life to "improve your whole life". TCMA can give you combat, fun, and health. Without fun (sport), the TCMA will not be "complete".

most are there for health and fitness

only a few are there for the fight.

even then, fight career is brief

"we may lose fights

but do not lose health".

so they said.

Taixuquan99
08-12-2011, 01:12 PM

I was not talking about that, obviously you're right in that sense, but the pressure to perform in a fight and in a performance with other musicians IS similar. If one blows it, the injury to pride is also similar. The physical results are different, yes.

Somehow, I can't picture someone struggling, like I did, not to vomit and **** themselves when their fight or flight instincts kick in about 2 minutes before a fight.

All performers face this. You can easily find examples of ballet dancers and musicians who vomit before many performances, even top level ones. This is exactly the same, no different, from what a fighter faces pre-fight.

and this is not talking about sparring. There is a difference between sparring and going out in front of people and fighting full tilt.

I'm not saying there isn't, but the difference is in degree(unless we're talking people who spar each other a lot and are not going heavy).

My comment was regarding the pressure to perform, and it's the same for all fields, especially those at the top.

I forgot to quote LKFMDC. I was not discussing forms, as far as I'm concerned, forms aren't something to display and perform, but personal notes on a style. I was discusing the pressure to do well. Are you claiming that you feel more pressure to perform well in what has meaning for you than, say, Marvin Gaye did? I don't think you are suggesting that.

Yes being hit sucks, but when you've entered a fight, are you really completely accepting of the idea that you might get utterly crushed? Hopefully not, which means that does not add to the pressure to change it completely from the same feeling that a musician playing with other quality musicians live has regarding blowing it.

Fear responses DO NOT necessarily get linked rationally, so adding the possibility of getting hit does not mean that the fear is that different than someone else faces from things that don't relate to actual possibility of harm.

If you haven't barfed from pre-fight fear, then you may not be feeling the same pressure a ballerina who does barf has before that performance, irrespective of getting hit.

99% of fighters who, in losing, are not risking losing their career, may face the stress of the potential of getting hit, but do not face the stress professional performers face of losing their entire careers for one bad performance, and humans DO display, FULL ON, survival mechanisms regarding things that DON'T threaten their bodily health one bit.

/digression

Taixuquan99
08-12-2011, 01:24 PM

To repeat, almost no one on this forum who ever fought in the ring faced losing their entire livelihood. Are you saying stress responses always follow rational reasoning in their display? Never genetic or irrational?

Taixuquan99
08-12-2011, 01:29 PM
I know it hurts the pride when I say the stress you feel is almost assuredly similar to that a top level ballerina feels, but it shouldn't. You wish that Natalie Portman would play you in the story of your life.

JamesC
08-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Sorry, KC, but I don't buy that the stress is anywhere close when you face the threat of bodily harm, injury, or possibly death. And that's the type of **** that goes through your head before a fight.

You start thinking about what would happen if you're crippled and you can't work for your family and play with your kids, etc. It's just not the same.

Lucas
08-12-2011, 02:02 PM
wait...are you telling me taixuquan99 is kc elbows?

lkfmdc
08-12-2011, 02:04 PM
it's colonel mustard in the dining room with a candle stick

Dragonzbane76
08-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Tai. I get what your saying, I do. But to me there is major differences in the emotional meter we are talking about. We are almost talking about going back to a primal state when you enter into a full tilt fight. Sorry I just can't compare a ballerina, piano performance, or anything really that comes close to that. Of course I have no experience in the ballerina or piano performances at any level. I played many sports in HS from football to wrestling and honestly wrestling was the closest but still not on the same level as going out and fighting full weight and tilt in a ring/cage.

I can comprehend your thoughts on the degree of stress you encounter, but I can remember my first fight and it was like nothing I had ever experienced before or after.

If you are speaking in terms of scale I really don't even think it's on the scale.

Just my thoughts though.

Lucas
08-12-2011, 05:54 PM
I think that the level of emotional intensity is quite similar, but the actual emotional response itself is what is different.

so yes, and no.

the stress and emotional response in having to perform something you have literally trained your entire life for can be crushing, and in its own right and way a very severe experience

but its not combat, against a really strong guy trying his best to hurt you bodily.

omarthefish
08-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Sorry, KC, but I don't buy that the stress is anywhere close when you face the threat of bodily harm, injury, or possibly death. And that's the type of **** that goes through your head before a fight.

You start thinking about what would happen if you're crippled and you can't work for your family and play with your kids, etc. It's just not the same.
You're comparing apples and oranges here. The only kind of fight I have seen brought up on this thread is the kind that takes place in a ring. We're not talking about Thunderdome here. :rolleyes:

Tai. I get what your saying, I do. But to me there is major differences in the emotional meter we are talking about. We are almost talking about going back to a primal state when you enter into a full tilt fight. [snip]

[snip] If you are speaking in terms of scale I really don't even think it's on the scale.

Just my thoughts though.
Those are your very personal and therefore, subjective, thoughts.

Not everybody freaks out like that with a ring fight. I know I didn't. I've done a ****load of forms comps but only 2 actual fights, 3 if I count a full contact karate tourney I entered back in my TKD days when I was much younger. I really didn't find the fights any more stressful than the comps. My national forms comp was actually a lot more stressful for me than my leitai fights were. I was really nervous waiting for things to start because I didn't know much about what it would be like but once it started, I was really pretty relaxed and had a good time in there. No "primal state" for me. :o

Regardless of whether you can picture it or not, as has been mentioned, actual examples abound. Read a couple biographies here and there. Heck, I have heard stand up comic being interviewed who talked about how they did vomit before going on stage back when they were getting started.

LOL! People don't lose consciousness when they "blow" a form.
Who said performance wushu is safe!?!

http://cdn-i.dmdentertainment.com/funpages/cms_content/17563/jackiechancopy.png

omarthefish
08-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Joking aside, injuries are often just as common in non-combat sports as in combat sports. Soccer sees a lot of broken legs. Here's a wushu injury in action:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTg0ODQwMjc2.html

Dragonzbane76
08-13-2011, 05:35 PM
understand omar. everyone experiences it differently. Like I stated at the bottom of my post. "just my thoughts" done comps. before as well, and done other tournament based stuff. But like I stated nothing comes compares to the ring.

Was giving a description of what I felt that time out there. every eye looks at the world differently. :)

omarthefish
08-14-2011, 12:15 AM
I certainly don't deny your own experiences. I just felt like the thread was turning into some sort of dlck measuring contest.

every eye looks at the world differently.

Darn straight.

The main thing that people are missing is that stage fright, whether about a performance or about a fight, is just not a rational thing. Some people, heck, lots of people are just plain far more scared of losing face than of injuries. Embarrassment can hurt more than injury.

I know that in my Sanda fight, that was actually what I was most scared of: I didn't want to embarrass my teacher. THAT was my biggest fear. Getting injured never really crossed my mind. :o

Kansuke
08-14-2011, 02:40 AM
I think it is worth noting that experience is a factor. You are not going to be as nervous doing anything the 1,034th time as you are the 1st time.

MasterKiller
08-14-2011, 06:34 AM
To repeat, almost no one on this forum who ever fought in the ring faced losing their entire livelihood. Are you saying stress responses always follow rational reasoning in their display? Never genetic or irrational?

EVERYTIME you fight, that's a possibility.

YouKnowWho
08-15-2011, 02:14 AM
most are there for health and fitness

only a few are there for the fight.

even then, fight career is brief

"we may lose fights

but do not lose health".

so they said.

I had met a friend yesterday that I haven't seen him for 15 years. When we talked about CMA, I realized that we took complete different paths.

What my friend is working on are how to:

- let the bone to pull the tendon, let the tendon to pull the muscle, ...
- develop from heel up all the way to the head.
- develop body pushes arm and body chases arm.

In other words, Everything that he has tried to develop is to target "himself".

What I'm working on are how to:

- delievery pain on my opponent's body.
- destroy my opponent balance.

In other words, Everything that I have tried to develop is to target "my opponent". When I train TCMA, health will never be my concern.

I truly don't know whether I belong to the main stream or my friend belongs to the main stream.

SPJ
08-15-2011, 07:24 AM
I had met a friend yesterday that I haven't seen him for 15 years. When we talked about CMA, I realized that we took complete different paths.

What my friend is working on are how to:

- let the bone to pull the tendon, let the tendon to pull the muscle, ...
- develop from heel up all the way to the head.
- develop body pushes arm and body chases arm.

In other words, Everything that he has tried to develop is to target "himself".

What I'm working on are how to:

- delievery pain on my opponent's body.
- destroy my opponent balance.

In other words, Everything that I have tried to develop is to target "my opponent". When I train TCMA, health will never be my concern.

I truly don't know whether I belong to the main stream or my friend belongs to the main stream.

both are important

but to strengthen your body and keep your health. is always the prime thing for me.

--

SPJ
08-15-2011, 07:36 AM
http://cdn-i.dmdentertainment.com/funpages/cms_content/17563/jackiechancopy.png

JC's kung fu flix in 1970s. they did not fly for him and many other. since bruce lee dominated the 1970s.

so in 1980s, JC tried stunts and some comedies. at his heart, he always wanted to be a comedian like bob hope to make people laugh and happy/ he is also anti war.

"war what it good for? absolutely nothing"

police story, he hit it big, with all the dare devil stunts--

he only needed one or 2 movies.

but it became a trade or bad habits. he just kept on making more stunt movie and injured himself repeatedly.

so the reporters stopped asking him where you were injured

they started to ask him where you are not injured?

--

even thou there are 10 disciples. but no one will try all the stunts he did over the years. all of his disciples are fine and dandy, I do not think any one of them will injure him self at all or not even a scratch or losing a hair sort of. they all want the dreams of being a mega star but not the hardwork---

JC is making his 100th movie for general huang xin. the story about republican revolution 100 years ago.

---

Taixuquan99
08-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Tai. I get what your saying, I do. But to me there is major differences in the emotional meter we are talking about. We are almost talking about going back to a primal state when you enter into a full tilt fight.

I get what you're saying, it sounds like good common sense, but I don't think it bears out measurably, specifically because, as modern humans, we tend to link what you are describing as primal states to totally non-relevant experiences in anything but the abstract sense.

In short, if you aren't puking before your performance, you probably aren't experiencing the same level of pressure as someone who is. You are measuring pressure by the subject, but it would probably be more reliable to measure pressure by the symptoms, right?

Taixuquan99
08-15-2011, 10:18 AM
As an aside, I know a couple guys who lost fights because, among other factors, they didn't feel enough pressure. And then lost more fights for the same reason. Their opponents came in geared up, and they came in somewhat absent.

Further demonstrating that we link up primal responses in totally irrational ways.

Taixuquan99
08-15-2011, 10:19 AM
wait...are you telling me taixuquan99 is kc elbows?

KC Elbows likes it when I use my left hand.

Lucas
08-15-2011, 11:15 AM
KC Elbows likes it when I use my left hand.

thats just cuz all the sword calluses on your right hand chafe.

Taixuquan99
08-15-2011, 11:47 AM
thats just cuz all the sword calluses on your right hand chafe.

That, and my left arm is a thalidomide arm, so he feels like he's with Herve Villechaize on Fantasy Island.

He's always asking me to introduce him to Khan.

Lucas
08-15-2011, 12:05 PM
if ever there was TMI...that was it :eek:

Lucas
08-15-2011, 12:09 PM
how come ray cant post a thread on horse stance ?? im crying on the inside.

SPJ
08-15-2011, 12:10 PM
just went to sports authority

they have nice training tools for baseball.

a hitting stand and a fake bat/practice bat

talking about practicing baseball by your self or alone.

there are also things that we may practice MA alone.

not to say partner training is not necessary.