PDA

View Full Version : Gatorade

Budokan
02-28-2001, 03:52 AM
Should I drink this after a workout rather than water to not only replenish fluids but salts and electrolytes as well? I drink water (and nothing but) all day, but would rather not salt my food to replenish what I've lost.

What do you think?

K. Mark Hoover

dunbarj01
02-28-2001, 04:25 AM
They're not too bad but very expensive compared to water and if you're worried about colourings in your food then there's an additional reason not to make them a regular habit. Gatorade etc is supposed to be formulated as isotonic solutions so they are quicly absorbed. Maybe they help...
To be honest, I quite like them although Mrs the Impaler, who works in the organic food industry, constantly nags (ne reminds me) that water is better. During training though I usually have hot oolong or jasmine tea - very hard to throw down a boiling cup of tea when you need fluids but strangely satisfying. That probably contributed nothing to your post.

Cheers,

whitelion
02-28-2001, 09:19 AM
What I have heard about those drinks is that they are only really needed if you have trained to the point where your muscles are cramping from fatigue. One estimate said that the only people that gain anything from those drinks are the people who train at the top level (Olympic or professional athletes). Even then, they provide much more than what your body really needs anyway.

I generally find plain water is the best. You should get enough electrolytes from your diet (assuming you have a decent diet :)).

------------------------------------
Talk softly and carry a big stick.

02-28-2001, 10:17 AM
No I don't drink Pepsi.

When I used to train Kung Fu, I drank a lot of V which I used to wash down my caffine pills. If no caffine pills, I may swallow sugar cubes to give that extra kick to my style!

When I get stressed in a fight, I usually take a cigi break. It really psyches out my attackers when I get em to wait around till I've finished my cigi. Then I kick their butts and at that point when they think theire absolutely dead meat, I will offer 'em a cigi while bring out my Cuban. Oh where're talking about drinks sorri! Might head off to the local bar to get myself a bud. Life's to short to @uc@ around! see ya!!

Ego Energize!
Maximus Maximize!

Boris
02-28-2001, 12:28 PM
Budokan: I drink water. Gatorade and all that other junk on the market don't do squat. They're there for people who want to believe that they're exercising but aren't. Real people just bring with them a bottle of water and that'll do.

Ego Maximus pu55y : So you survived tribal council but it seems that you haven't learnt your lesson. You f*ck with most of us before and you saw what happened so you ran off and hid. Now you're back, how convenient? Take a ciggie break? Puhleeze, we knew you weren't really a hardcore Kung Fu practicioner. Between being physically pathetic and starting flame wars, I don't see how you can show your face here again.

If you hold anything back, I'll kill you. If you bend the truth, or if I think you're bending the truth, I'll kill you. If you forget anything, I'll kill you. In fact, you're going to have to work very hard to stay alive, Nick. I hope you understand everything

joedoe
02-28-2001, 01:55 PM
Ego:

I thought you were wheelchair bound after a car accident 5 years ago? Or was there a miracle cure resulting from the wonders of modern medical science?

02-28-2001, 03:10 PM
ABandit: Thanks buddy for your thoughts. But unfortunately I'm still in a wheelchair. All I can do now is get to the local bar and back. But before the accident I used to practice Kung Fu and had my fair share of brawls. But now I live a quiet life which took time to get used to. Yeah I guess I was still remembering / trying to relive those old days when I wrote the previous post. I have so much time on my hands to reflect and usually with a bottle of scotch as my only companion. Once a week, my house maid Katrina comes around. It's so great to have someone else to talk to. Yeah so, take care of yourself and enjoy your training because god d@mn it that's something I really miss these days.

Boris the Blade: I don't see how you could have mistaken my response as a troll! and I'm even more surprised that you were offended. All I did was express my drink prefernence which is V with caffinne pills and beer. How wrong could that be? Or have you been pyschologically scared so badly by trolls that you now see a troll in every post (as in a ghost in every shadow). If you are then you need help. If you're not then just get over it!

I've had to go through many physical and psychological challenges. The mental conditioning in Kung Fu helped to some extent. But it still freaks me out when I lie awake late at night breaking out in cold sweat with full knowledge that my spinal degenerative disorder will see me waste away in years to come.

Ego Energize!
Maximus Maximize!

Fu-Pow
02-28-2001, 09:04 PM
I read an interesting article on Gatorade. It is a drink originally formulated by the Coach of the Florida Gators football team for his players(hence the name Gatorade.) The reason they needed it in Florida is that heavy training in the high heat and humidity causes one to lose a lot of water ...and in addition a lot of salts (ie electrolytes, potassium, sodium etc.). It is necessary to replace these trace minerals for proper muscle function. But I think that unless you are doing heavy training in an enviroment like the Florida.... water is just fine. In fact water will rehydrate you better than Gatorade because it is less concentrated then your bodily fluids (ie it doesn't contain salt, corn syrup, food coloring,etc.)

Fu-Pow

dunbarj01
03-01-2001, 07:56 AM
I think the theory behind gatorade is that it very close in concentration to the potassium chloride and salt levels in your cells. When you drink this it is absorbed in a regular fashion and supposedly replenishes . Water, being more dilute, is absorbed too quickly in and around the stomach lining and can cause a heavy bloated feeling. Cells take in more water when their ion concentration is high (when dehydrated) and pump water out (when very low levels of ions) to balance the electrolyte levels in cells. As someone before mentioned it probably applies only to Olympians or marathon runners.

Just another question: Does anyone have an opinion as to eating watery fruit such as oranges or melon to achieve the same purpose?

03-01-2001, 09:23 AM
As a matter of fact, I believe I have an opinion on eating juicy fruits. It's probably true that the minerals in fruits would have a similar effect as drinking sports drinks. i won't be surprised that to some extent, the content of these drinks are modelled on what is found naturally in fruits.

That is why Hung Kuen practitioners don't get scurvy anymore. In the old days, they spent too long at sea (in the red Junks) training Hung Kuen and didn't eat enough orangers. What happened? they got scurvy. It was a mandatory prtactice during my Kung Fu training that we bring a bottle of Gatorade or orange juice to class. Precisely to avoid the problem of scurvy.

Ego Energize!
Maximus Maximize!

Fu-Pow
03-01-2001, 08:19 PM
Actually, I just tried this "natural" sports drink that was basically sugar, lemon juice and water. It stated on the label that the electrolytes were coming from the lemon.

Fu-Pow

Shaolin Temple
03-02-2001, 01:09 AM
for a moment I freaked out. The salts in gatorade must have helped the recuperative powers of ego but after reading on...I see. They are only flashbacks.

Anyways, lets hope this doesn't turn into another troll over salty water...

Which Shaolin is authentic. North or South.
As Sifu would say...there is no permanence and there should not be any discrimination.
The point is therefore, who cares.
The more Shaolin there are, the better. Be civilized and chivalrous in your behaviour. As martial artists, we are supposed to not forget that we learn this art to help others and ourselves in times of need...not be a thug!!!
Amitabha.

03-02-2001, 07:21 AM
Fu-Pow

I agree, electrolytes are found in lemon. They are also found in car battery solution - but I won't recommend you drinking that.

"V" for me and car batteries for my wheel chair! Life's Great!!

Ego Energize!
Maximus Maximize!

Boris
03-02-2001, 01:16 PM
People like ought to should be shot.

Drink Water. Natural, does lots for your body and like all good things in life, is free (or close enough).

If you hold anything back, I'll kill you. If you bend the truth, or if I think you're bending the truth, I'll kill you. If you forget anything, I'll kill you. In fact, you're going to have to work very hard to stay alive, Nick. I hope you understand everything

03-02-2001, 02:26 PM
Boris the Blade,

You said: "People like ought to should be shot."
Your english does not make sense! Is this what happens when you're red in the face with anger?

(this is a retorical question which you don't have to answer).

You said: "all good things in life, is free"
No no no. try the word "ARE" instead of "IS". The plural (ie. more than one) of "thing" is "things". When it is plural you use the word ARE when it is singular you use IS.

Oh well, sorry for being picky as these may be the least of your problems.

In any case it is "The Best Things in Life are Free".

Ego Energize!
Maximus Maximize!

Boris
03-03-2001, 02:40 AM
Okay Mister English feckin' Major with first class honours. I'm gonna shove a shotgun in your mouth and blow your friggin' Idiot savant Grammatical gifts across the Professor's much accoladed wall.

I may have missed the "you" in the first sentence, but that you could probably COULD have realised and concluded yourself without much thinking. Oops, you don't think and need to be spoon-fed information. Autodidaction is a skill lost to the world, by the way you carry on. Don't tell me, you're writing your PHD. on the Freudian theory of Copra-Phalic fetishism in sixteenth century literature. That topic really seems to suit you for some reason.

All good things in life, are indeed, free.

But I beseech you, reread my sentence. "Like all good things in life, is free". I was refering to the singular subject of water, not the plural. Besides it was comparison, "Like" should have rung your grammatical bell, it is a similie and hence plurals may be disregarded. Sentences such as " The Newspaper fell LIKE a flock of geese descending upon a lake." would be grammatically incorrect in your grammatical opinion.

However, I am not writing a political treatsie while on this forum so please, grammar is the least of my qualms. I am writing colloquially and may mispell, forget grammatical structure or tense but still be coherent. I may miss a word now and again but still most people understand me, it's just a pity you need to get at me in such a pathetic and petty manner.

03-03-2001, 03:47 AM
Boris,

You seem to have been angry for a long time. Given that you think that drinking V and smoking the occasional ciggie is a crime punishable by execution (with a shot gun through the mouth), then I must say you're also a very violent person.

Afterall, power comes from the barrel of the gun, why bother with the correct use of words when people whome you meet in person are likely to face a swift end!

For you infomation, I have a Phd in Robotics from MIT. It is not that I can earn your respect as I don't have any firearms in my possession although I live in NY. I'm a vegitarian and pacifist by nature.

Ego Energize!
Maximus Maximize!

03-03-2001, 04:36 AM
When did these shaolin clowns here about these modern drinks,i thought they only knew how to rub didta jow into there arse holes,and now they will be drinking didta jow to toughtern there anal canal too.

kelvein chan

03-04-2001, 12:40 AM
so much for yer v and ciggies and the professors board. do yer bonk him on that do ya?

as for you ego, i know you are my sihing. why are you pretending here. in class you even admit to be famous clown out of the wheelchair. phd in robotics?b*llcr@p! yeah, probably robotic d1ldoes up yer anal canal to keep yer entrails toned from all yer sitting. you bl00dy p00f! f*ck 0ff you d1ckhead! i am sick of all ya b*llsh1t!

kelvein chan

prana
03-04-2001, 02:07 AM
We know about the drinks such as Gatorade because we don't wish to draw conclusions that all Western things are bad, like you did with Eastern. I should point out the fact you should not be practising Mantis cause it is originally Eastern. We do not practice your narrow-mindedness. FYI, you self-proclaimed guru in Western Medicine, your post on Steroids injection proves your inadequacies. None of the ppl here has proclaimed drinking it to increase strengths. It seems you have clearly claimed it as a self lubricant...

I think you have been told where to go by, isnt it time you reflect yourself in the mirror and see what is wrong with you ?

Breathe till there is no breath...

Fish of Fury
03-04-2001, 02:27 AM
hey ego...
since we're being picky, you left the H out of rhetorical :p

deadlypower
03-04-2001, 02:45 AM
PRANA,maybe his ugly face will crack the mirror.....EGO.,has a face that you can't tell the difference whether it is his arse,or his face!!!!!!!!!!!!

power

YiLiQuan1
03-04-2001, 03:13 AM
Water is always the best hydrating source. When you train, you sweat and lose precious fluid levels.

However, and this goes without saying but I will say it for the sake of the few sorry souls here who flame rather than contribute, in the sweat are salt and other trace minerals that will adversely effect training potential when lost in great amounts.

Gatorade is currently being used by the US military as a source of electrolyte replacement for troops in the field. This after years of being told to "just drink water."

Lets not forget that TOO MUCH water is actually BAD for you! What happens when you drink too much water? You urinate frequently to purge the extra fluid levels (the body strives for homeostasis at all times, retaining water during fluid loss, and purging fluid when there is excess). If you drink too much, you will **** constantly. In so doing, your body is actually diluting its own stores of these minerals, and it is possible to DIE from being super hydrated. I forget the medical term for the condition, but it does exist (had a class on cold weather injury prevention two weeks ago, and the condition was mentioned by the nurse practitioner giving the class).

Fruit juice is a good add in, and Gatorade is good as well, though the best basic foundation is a good diet with adequate water intake.

Just my humble 2 yen...

Matt Stone

joedoe
03-04-2001, 04:42 AM
No one said that you don't need to replenish your mineral supplies, but for most people this is adequately handled in the diet. Unless you are training full time (as in like 6-8 hours a day), it shouldn't be an issue. In the army, this is often the case, especially if soldiers are on training exercises. Also, soldiers in the field don't exactly get the best diet as most rations are either freeze-dried or canned - very few fresh foods.

Super-hydration can occur, but I thought you have to drink stupid amounts to achieve that. For most people who exercise, the problem is dehydration rather than super-hydration.

My point is that for most active people, water is just as good for rehydration as any of the sports drinks like Gatorade.

YiLiQuan1
03-04-2001, 08:46 AM
Dead on the money on that particular point.

Most folks, living in their suburban apartment or condo, doing martial arts primarily to reduce that ring of Mr. Donuts from around their midsection and to learn a thing or two of self-defense in the process, will probably be best served with a bottle of DiHydrogenOxide :-) more than anything else.

I am a soldier. I do PT 4 times a week, train on my own in martial arts, plus teach about 5 hours each week (small post). With all I put out, I drink about one 8 ounce bottle of the G stuff each day, plus tons of water.

The super-hydration issue comes from the traditional method of hydrating troops in basic training - every hour on the hour, regardless of other fluid intake, they will drain their canteens. Given that they are required to keep their canteens full at all times (one quart size), this can lead to quite a waterlog in some poor private's belly. There have been cases (though rare) of trainees dying during basic and advanced training due to this super-hydration.

Again, you are correct - water is probably best for most. For those of us who have forgone social interaction to pursue our CMA dreams and who train more than we sleep, the G stuff makes a good dietary supplement.

Matt Stone

03-04-2001, 10:05 AM
Guys!

Many good points mentioned in the last 3 posts. i agree water is essential and it is important to drink enough to prevent dehydration (OK depends on how you train and the conditions you train in). but if dehydrations hits you - it'll be too late.

Sports drinks, the "G" is an example of many. Salts are actually essential for the process of osmosis in our bodies. When you perspire, you lose salts as well as water. Both components need to be replenished.

Finally, if your training involves is taxing on your body's energy reserves, then consume enough carbohydrates as they provide clean fuel. Fatty stuff creaters waste products for the body and therefore draws on the water reserves to dispose of that. Sugars burn too quickly. Well any way, I guess these are the main points for any exercise which includes KF.

Ego Energize!
Maximus Maximize!

GeneChing
01-02-2018, 02:50 PM
Maybe it's me but co-marketing of a sports drink and a shoe just doesn't work. I don't want my shoes to be associated with my sports drink and vice versa.

“Gatorade” Air Jordan 6 NRG Closes Out Jordan Brand’s 2017 (https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/gatorade-air-jordan-6-nrg-closes-out-jordan-brand-s-2017-news.41551.html)
Kyle Rooney
By Kyle Rooney
December 29, 2017 16:01

https://ssli.ulximg.com/image/740x493/cover/1514581254_cbc13f7eb0326d66b0d09c94a9c47056.jpg/714692ec6dc6106e9315cb423e0f481f/1514581254_5d1ad9d4d8ba3d98ada830b0ad17005d.jpg
https://ssla.ulximg.com/image/740x493/gallery/1514580993_64f4c10b9b1c11f8da3ecd379dd4781b.jpg/f11aeb10e7224a19bfb841d12475745f/1514580993_9556ac379da55ff63847da3f8c2424b6.jpg
https://sslj.ulximg.com/image/740x493/gallery/1514580995_a23c063e4b7230bc0abdb38470c55583.jpg/96abe521648fa7262047ed24116604ee/1514580995_fe1a5176cb8e35e54cc6919be395739d.jpg
https://sslb.ulximg.com/image/740x493/gallery/1514580996_57301d449e80d5899df9c50de5edd7a6.jpg/e816f3a23ba546e9a8f296effa2ccb99/1514580996_7dcf3d6672488feb58423bb88094bd34.jpg
https://ssle.ulximg.com/image/740x493/gallery/1514580993_9bf7c43ab731bf541db0d77df3efa0da.jpg/366a27db029848ad017e873d45a906c1/1514580993_2232289012e342e5c2be75013f549585.jpg

"Gatorade" 6s arrive tomorrow.

Gatorade partnered up with Jordan Brand for a special edition "Like Mike" collection in honor of Michael Jordan's classic 1991 ad, which included a number of different Air Jordan silhouettes.

Closing out the Gatorade x Air Jordan Collection is a brand new green suede Air Jordan 6 that will be much more limited than the white/orange rendition that dropped a few weeks back.

RELATED: Unreleased "Chinese New Year" Air Jordan 6 Revealed In Detail

The green suede "Gatorade" Air Joran 6 NRG is officially set to release, in limited quantities, this Saturday, December 30th for the retail price of $225. The official colorway is listed as "Pine Green/Orange Blaze-Pine Green."

Similar to the white/orange "Gatorade" Air Jordan 6 that dropped on December 16th, the green rendition features special edition packaging, Gatorade-inspired lace locks and insoles, and "If I Could Be" text stitched on inside of the tongue. The kicks will release alongside a line of matching "Like Mike" apparel as well.

David Jamieson
01-03-2018, 11:17 AM
Still, except for the colour, that's a pretty nice shoe.