PDA

View Full Version : shoulder / long bridge power

Paul T England
08-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Been watching a few videos of different wing chun groups doing bui tze and some thrust the shoulder and others don't.

Any one got expereince of this and why some Ip Man students do and others don't?

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

Graham H
08-15-2011, 02:16 AM
...........shoulder thrusts??????.................and what is long bridge power??????????:confused:

GH

Paul T England
08-15-2011, 02:37 AM
sorry for not giving more details.

Check out Duncan Leung's line and thier Bui Tse form, also Jason Lau from Chui Wan Lineage and I have seen several others do similar stuff.

As far as I am aware Ip Chun, Ip Ching, WSL and foshan students don't do it but you do have the leung ting guys with his extending arm circus trick LOL

Paul

hpclub
08-15-2011, 03:00 AM
When you talk about long bridge and short bridge, you are merely talking about the distance of the hand from the body. If the hand is extended out (arm’s length) it is a long bridge. During a fight, when your hands are close together, that is a short bridge.

Both long and short bridges have their purpose. I am under the Ip Ching liniage and we first see long bridge energy in Sil Lim Tao with the extended arms being raised and lowered. In application an example is when our arms maybe outside our body extended and we have to punch back to the centre line from a position of long briidge. Essentially you are looking at the generation of power through your stance with an extended arm.

We see the use of the shoulder in the straight punch. We shouldn't hold the shoulder back when punch. The use of the shoulder is emphasised in Biu Tze during the wrist movements. Ip Ching teaches relaxation of the shoulder joint by extending it.

This assists with power generation and ultimatly when you Chong (Thrust) with the Pole your shoulder is extended.

Paul T England
08-15-2011, 03:48 AM
I titled it "long bridge" as that is the termed used by some people but I agree with your description as the common clasification.

I am more interested in the extending the shoulder as with some lineages its really obvious.

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

hpclub
08-15-2011, 04:01 AM
Well this is just inch power. Not inch from just the arm but inch from the whole body the generate the power.

Graham H
08-15-2011, 04:06 AM
Which actions are you reffering to???? :confused:

GH

Paul T England
08-15-2011, 05:25 AM
here is an example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2plEC4adSw

Graham H
08-15-2011, 05:36 AM
I suppose it depends on what one thinks these actions at the start of Bil Jee are for. That guy obviously has a completely different idea than I do so I can't comment. Too much arm chasing for my liking as well.

GH

LoneTiger108
08-15-2011, 08:18 AM
I am more interested in the extending the shoulder as with some lineages its really obvious.

In the clip it seemed that the guy was definitely using very rigid muscular movement, which at a basic level is okay, but this is Biu Jee and it is far from a basic form imho. Being from Jiu Wans lineage I think there will be many other things that differ from others, but that (with all due respect!) may not be such a bad thing ;)

shaolinhouse
08-15-2011, 11:05 AM
nicely put together video

wingchunIan
08-15-2011, 12:34 PM
I'd love to hear from anyone who has trained this lineage to understand what is going on. Totally different to the way we train so I'd love to hear more

LivingArt
08-15-2011, 02:01 PM
I think it's ultimately just different ways of making the student understand power generation. The ultimate goal of power generation is whipping energy through the body and releasing destructive force. The one inch punch does this as simply as possible.

When you develop this technique it's done with the whole body, you aren't punching or tan sau'ing with just your arm. You put your body into. With the extension of the shoulder you're supposed to eventually feel the transfer of force and apply that to your whole body.

Personally, I found the "power" accidentally during heavy bag training with siu nim tau.

CFT
08-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Personally, I found the "power" accidentally during heavy bag training with siu nim tau.Can you elaborate please?

Graham H
08-16-2011, 02:10 AM
Personally, I found the "power" accidentally during heavy bag training with siu nim tau.

Eh? What did you do?...fall over and hit the light switch on the way down? :confused: :D

GH

LivingArt
08-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Can you elaborate please?

When you get perfect posture, perfect alignment of the body, and perfect timing you explode with a force that suprises you the first time.

People can teach the form perfectly, but until the student understands and puts it all together they wont see the ultimate result. You have to feel it, before you really get it.

CFT
08-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Your original post seemed to suggest you were performing SNT against a heavy bag. Is that not the case? If it is then I'd just like some details on how it was performed.

LivingArt
08-17-2011, 03:02 AM
At any part during SNT that you could strike, I would strike the heavy bag. And every other part I just used the heavy bag as a general body/centerline. It's mostly just for getting into the mind set of the style and warming up.

edit: to clarify the SNT and heavy bag is just a variation to warm up with. I don't think that's what the form is for in general, it's just fun.

CFT
08-17-2011, 03:31 AM
Thanks for that. Sounds good as a variation in practice.

imperialtaichi
08-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Try pushing a car square on at different speed and slope and feel how the shoulders and back behave. Good Wing Chun does not violate efficient biomechanics. You are your best teacher.

LivingArt
08-17-2011, 10:20 PM
Try pushing a car square on at different speed and slope and feel how the shoulders and back behave. Good Wing Chun does not violate efficient biomechanics. You are your best teacher.

Agreed, we just all need a little guidance. A little push in the right direction to get the avalanche of experience going.