PDA

View Full Version : Travel tips while training abroad

ginosifu
08-15-2011, 12:16 PM
I started thinking about this while in Bali and wanted to share my experiences with everyone. This is NOT a about what style to train in, but about maximizing your training time, traveling tips, eating wise etc.

Choosing the right teacher
First before you go off to a foreign country, you should investigate the teacher / school you wish to attend. It would be best if you had a person as a liaison or go between that knows the teacher, to give “Introduction” so to speak. For some of the old school teachers, an introduction would be the only way to get an invitation to that school. Most of the newer modern schools advertise and you can find a decent one somewhere. I have had other Sifu students ask me if they can join my school and train with me. The first thing I ask them is “Did you ask your teacher if could train with me?” “Did he give you permission to train with me?” For some old school Sifu it may be a disrespect to train with another Sifu without getting permission first. Old school Sifu like me will not accept a student who disrespects their original Sifu by not asking him first.

Plan your stay wisely
Training: abroad can be costly so you need to investigate all of the different costs involved. First is the cost of the school / teacher, then travel and lodging and food. Is your stay short term or long term? How do they charge, by the class, by the month? Some teachers charge by the form, and I am not talking $50 or $100, more like $300-$500 per form. Can the school effectively teach you what want in time allowed during your stay?

Lodging: can be expensive or relatively cheap depending on your personal requirements. Modern hotels will suck you dry. If you look hard enough you can find inexpensive lodging but be prepared for lower standards (no heat, no running water, etc). One option to look into is staying at the school itself. This is probably the best bed for your buck and may save you additional $ on travel expenses.

Be prepared for hidden costs and don’t get caught with out any cash. Once I was in a restaurant in China that did not except credit cards (I did not know this at the time) and scrambled to get cash together (I did not want to spend time in Chinese jail).

Time and Time Zones
Time Zones: Most of the Asian / South East Asian countries are about 12 hours ahead of us in the America’s (give or take few). Europe, Africa and India may be 5-7 hours behind. You Aussies are almost the same time zone as Beijing. So, upon your arrival you need to take into consideration Jetlag and adjusting to your new time zone. For you younger guys it may only take a day or so, for us older folk it may take up to a week to adjust depending on your health.

Time Slows Down: Depending on where you go, time maybe slowed down a lot. We the modern people seem to be use to a fast paced lifestyle with so many things to do and places to go. I was shocked to see that in some places people don’t do anything, just sit there like there is nothing better to do. Training is light and not a big deal, sleeping and eating were important. Be prepared for things not to move at quite the pace or speed you are used to.

Time Stands Still: If you plan on training in any of the major cities this may not apply, but some of the smaller villages / cities may not have changed in hundreds of years. I was on top of a mountain in Sumatra, Indonesia where the village looked it did 100’s of years ago. Grass huts, no bathrooms or running water, make sure you research where you are going and prepare your self accordingly. Even in modern cities, things may not be as you are used to in your own area.

Air, Water, Food the 3 things that keep you alive
Air: The Chinese character 氣 can be translated as breath / air / spirit or energy. Most here on the kung fu forum are from average cities from US / UK / Aussie’s etc. Air quality is not a big deal for most of us. However, those who travel to Asia and S E Asia will find that air quality is not the same in other countries. Smog and Pollution are heavy in places like Beijing, China / Jakarta, Indonesia etc. Also each country has its own “Spirit”, “Energy” or “Vibe” to it. This Vibe is something you need to feel comfortable with. Staying in a place that you are not comfortable with can be hard on your training.

Water: I remember an old story when I was a kid about the “Water in Mexico”. People would say “Don’t drink the water” and “Montezuma’s Revenge” etc. However, they all revolved around the drinking water. Everywhere you go drinking water has different qualities and different amounts of bacteria etc. So, naturally when you go to a different country, the change in water can be taxing on your system. Bottled water is the best route. Would suggest buying bottled water by the case somewhere and bring it with you.

Food: You usually can get most any type of food in any of the major cities around the world. If you are adventurous and want to try something different, I would recommend a guide and not go about trying different places without knowledge of what they serve. While trying modern restaurants, even with language barriers you can get by with hand gestures. There can be some exotic restaurants that serve dishes you not be prepared to eat. If going to a exotic restaurant, it would be best to have a guide, you never know what they might be serving you. However, many small villages and out of the way shops may not have any modern dishes. Region specific dishes are not always what you think and what is delicious to them may not be delicious to you. These small villages may also not have that McDonalds you were looking for as well.

Traffic and Traveling
Driving: If you are familiar with LA and New York traffic jams? Think of them as an easy cake walk compared to some others cities in the world. Places like Beijing and Jakarta are 2 of the toughest driving cities I have ever come across. In both cities, cars share the road with taxi’s, buses, motorcycles, mopeds, rickshaws (and their variations), bicycles and even pedestrians. Driving styles, rules of road and driving courtesy are much different as well. Traveling to your destination maybe best left up to taxi’s, buses or guides.

Culture and Religion
Culture: Culture and customs of other countries may be different than what you are used to. Many Asian cultures are a bit conservative and may not seem friendly or open. There are also cultural traditions you may not be aware of. In some places you only shake hands and pass food with your right hand. Doing any of this with your left is a direct insult to your host. This is because there is no toilet paper and you only have soap and a bucket of water to clean your self. You are supposed to clean your privates with your left hand using soap and water. Once I tried to pass some food with my left hand… man, I got smacked by my wife and cussed out by her relatives.

Religion: Kung Fu has historically been Buddhist however there are many other religious folk out there in this modern world. Recently while in Bali I almost stepped on some what I thought was garbage. It was my wife who pointed out that it was a Hindu religious offering (Bali is mostly Hindu as an Island). Sometimes we are not aware of what others do and what is sacred to them. Modern kung fu training has sort of got rid of its Buddhist religion. Here in the US I do not favor religion in the school and have students of all ethnic and religious back rounds. However, in some places you still may need to follow religious procedure or even join their religion. The Shaolin temple has many modern schools in the surrounding areas and you need not be Buddhist to join them. If you wish to join the temple out right you must become Buddhist. Did you know that China has one of the biggest Muslim populations? Many Muslim schools in China teach kung fu, but they also are strict I their religious practice. Many Pencak Silat schools of Indonesia force you to become Muslim before they will teach you any kung fu.

In the end, research and preparation are the best tools before setting out to train abroad. I know there are several posters here that have traveled and trained abroad, please add your comments and tips for those that may be thinking about training somewhere.

Everyone’s thoughts and comments are welcome.

ginosifu

brothernumber9
08-16-2011, 06:31 AM
(in a louder voice) "I said WHERE is the MACDONAAALDSSS, you know, has a big EMMM? BIG MAC...FRIES??? HELLLOOO...does ..aneeee wonnn heeerrre speaky ENGLISH????"

brought to you by your local douchebag elitist-American tourist.

rett
08-16-2011, 09:24 AM
If you're going to China...

Learn these two characters: 男,女

Bring your own TP

HumbleWCGuy
08-16-2011, 09:35 AM
If you're going to China...

Learn these two characters: 男,女

Bring your own TP

Bathroom or men and women or something?

rett
08-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Yeah. Those two are by far the most important two characters to know.

Jimbo
08-16-2011, 09:57 AM
I lived in Taiwan over nearly an 8-year period, and here are some of my experiences/observations, some already mentioned, some not yet;

1. If you stay long-term, you will need visa extensions; at least in Taiwan, it was every 2 months. Every 6 months, you must leave the country. You could leave for a day, 2 days, or whatever. You just need to show that you left then came back. I usually went to Hong Kong for a few days, and once South Korea. Also, you'll need a valid reason for those extensions, i.e., studying the language, valid work, etc.

2. Related to No. 1: When you visit the police station or visa office for your visa extension, be humble. If you behave like a know-it-all or an "ugly American" (or wherever you're from), the officials can make it very hard for you. I remember one official in particular who was okay sometimes, and other times would try to make things difficult for me. Some will do that just because they can, or depending on whatever mood they're in. I had seen other people try to argue with them, and you can never win. If he/she says your reasons/documents are not acceptable, simply ask what you need and go. You could come back later, hopefully getting another person, or find some way to get what he's asking for, justified or not.

3. Carry some TP everywhere. TP in Taiwan is like napkins, so it's easy to carry some. Public restrooms do not supply TP, at least they didn't when I was there.

4. Pedestrians do NOT have the right-of-way. Drivers are often negligent of walkers, so YOU must always be aware, and don't expect drivers to be mindful of your safety.

5. There is a different concept of personal space. It's not uncommon for people in crowds to bump you slightly as they pass. Be aware of your pockets when this happens, but it's usually due to cultural differences. You see people bumping into others or you, often enough to incite an argument or fight in the U.S. or other countries. It can be irritating, esp. at first, but you can't fly off the handle every time it happens or you'll go nuts.

ginosifu
The words you really need while shopping and touring China are:

Bu Yao - 不 要 = Don't want / Don't need

This is when those pesky vendors keep bugging you to buy their stuff.

ginosifu

bawang
my advice is simple. when going to oversea kung fu school, dont do or say weird sh1t.

SPJ
08-16-2011, 10:22 AM
I lived in Taiwan over nearly an 8-year period, and here are some of my experiences/observations, some already mentioned, some not yet;

1. If you stay long-term, you will need visa extensions; at least in Taiwan, it was every 2 months. Every 6 months, you must leave the country. You could leave for a day, 2 days, or whatever. You just need to show that you left then came back. I usually went to Hong Kong for a few days, and once South Korea. Also, you'll need a valid reason for those extensions, i.e., studying the language, valid work, etc.

2. Related to No. 1: When you visit the police station or visa office for your visa extension, be humble. If you behave like a know-it-all or an "ugly American" (or wherever you're from), the officials can make it very hard for you. I remember one official in particular who was okay sometimes, and other times would try to make things difficult for me. Some will do that just because they can, or depending on whatever mood they're in. I had seen other people try to argue with them, and you can never win. If he/she says your reasons/documents are not acceptable, simply ask what you need and go. You could come back later, hopefully getting another person, or find some way to get what he's asking for, justified or not.

3. Carry some TP everywhere. TP in Taiwan is like napkins, so it's easy to carry some. Public restrooms do not supply TP, at least they didn't when I was there.

4. Pedestrians do NOT have the right-of-way. Drivers are often negligent of walkers, so YOU must always be aware, and don't expect drivers to be mindful of your safety.

5. There is a different concept of personal space. It's not uncommon for people in crowds to bump you slightly as they pass. Be aware of your pockets when this happens, but it's usually due to cultural differences. You see people bumping into others or you, often enough to incite an argument or fight in the U.S. or other countries. It can be irritating, esp. at first, but you can't fly off the handle every time it happens or you'll go nuts.

verified.

I grew up in taipei, taiwan. I am familiar with expatriate communities there.

so what you said are all correct.

ginosifu
08-17-2011, 05:54 AM
One thing I forgot to add is obtaining VISA's. There are several countries which require a VISA to enter. VISA's also have a time period, some 60 days, some 90 days, you need to check with that countries local office in your own country.

Some countries only allow VISA's for certain purposes (Work, School etc etc)

VISA's are like a permission slip to enter that country for your purpose and length of time.

ginosifu