PDA

View Full Version : The Mayor of Philadelphia lays the blame for that city's riots

BJJ-Blue
08-15-2011, 01:56 PM
"Fathers, fathers. Fathers have a particularly important role to play. Not more important than mothers, but just as important. You know you’re not a father just because you have a kid, or two, or three. That doesn’t make you a father. A father is a person who’s around, participating in a child’s life. He’s a teacher who helps to guide and shape and mold that young person, someone for that young person to talk to, to share with, their ups and their downs, their fears and their concerns. A father has to provide a structure to a young boy, on how to become a good man. A good man. A father also has to be a good role model, and help a young girl be a strong woman.

Now let me just say this, if you’re not doing those things, if you’re just hanging out out there, maybe you’re sending a check or bringing some cash by, that’s not being a father. You’re just a human ATM. You’re just an ATM. And if you’re not providing the guidance, andyou’re not sending any money, you’re just a sperm donor. You’re just a sperm donor. You’re what the girls call out in the street: “That’s my baby-daddy. That’s my baby-daddy.” That’s not good enough. Don’t be that. Don’t be that. You can do better than that.

And you know something, that’s part of the problem in our community. Let me speak plain. That’s part of the problem in the black community. And many other communities. But a particular problem in the black communities, we have too many men making too many babies that they don’t want to take care of and then we end up dealing with your children. We’re not running a big babysitting service. We’re running a big government and a great city. Take care of your children. All of them. All of them.

You know, you’re sitting around with your jaws tight, oh she got two, three other guys around; well, if you were doing what you were supposed to be doing she wouldn’t be with those two or three guys in the first place because you would be there, taking care of all of your children. Now, you are around for the sex. Now be around for the parenting. Be around for the parenting. Because let me tell you something — the immaculate conception of our Lord Jesus Christ took place a long time ago, and it didn’t happen here in Philadelphia. So, every one of these kids has two parents who were around and participating at the time. You need to be around now. There ain’t no immaculate conception happening up in here.

And lastly, to our teenagers, you know, young people always talk about “Well, I gotta get respect.” You get respect when you give respect. That’s how you get respect. And I believe in my heart and in my soul that 99 percent of the young people here in this city of Philadelphia are good and have good intentions in their heart. So I don’t want anyone to think that we’ve got thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and untold numbers of bad young people running round, because we don’t. We have some really great young people in this city. They go to school. They try to get good grades, they try to graduate and go on with their lives. They participate in sports, art, music, poetry, cultural services. They’re out tutoring. Some of them have jobs and are working. Some are taking care of their siblings, parents, and even grandparents. Unfortunately, there’s a few — could be a hundred, could be a couple hundred, could be a thousand (that’s still less than 1 percent) — but there’s some really bad ones. And, unfortunately, they engage in violent behavior. They’re lawless, they act with ignorance, they don’t care about anybody else, and their behavior is outrageous.

If you want all of us — black, white, or any other color — if you want us to respect you, if you want us to look at you in a different way, if you want us not to be afraid to walk down the same side of the street with you, if you want folks not to jump out of the elevator when you get on, if you want folks to stop following you around in stores when you’re out shopping, if you want somebody to offer you a job or an internship somewhere, if you don’t want folks to be looking in or trying to go in a different direction when they see two or twenty of you coming down the street, then stop acting like idiots and fools, out in the streets of the city of Philadelphia. Just cut it out. And another thing. Take those doggone hoodies down, especially in the summer. Pull your pants up and buy a belt, because no one wants to see your underwear or the crack of your butt. Nobody. Buy a belt. Buy a belt. Nobody wants to see your underwear. Comb your hair. And get some grooming skills. Comb your hair. Running round here with your hair all over the place. Learn some manners. Keep your butt in school, graduate from high school, go on to college so you can go and make something of yourself and be a good citizen, here in this city. And why don’t you work on extending your English vocabulary. Extend your English vocabulary beyond the few curse words that you know, some other grunts and grumbles and other things that none of us can understand what you’re saying. And if you go to look for a job, don’t go blame it on the white folks, or anybody else. If you walk in somebody’s office with your hair uncombed and a pick in the back and your shoes untied and your pants half down, tattoos up and down your arm, on your face, on your neck, and you wonder why somebody won’t hire you. They don’t hire you because you look like you’re crazy. That’s why they’re not hiring you.

So, you do those things, and act like you got some sense, and you’d be surprised what opportunities will open up to you. That’s what was on my mind. That’s all I’ve got to say."

Michael Nutter (D), Mayor of Philadelphia

Source: (full speech)
http://charioteers.org/2011/08/12/a-speech-by-the-mayor-of-philadelphia/

To all you who say I always disagree with anything Democrat, I agree with what the Mayor just said in that speech. And it took alot of guts to say it too. Props to that man.

David Jamieson
08-15-2011, 02:39 PM
wow, what a load of crap.

he's ranting at a painted pony.

This is like an old man shouting at youngsters on skateboards.

"wtf?" is the only reasonable response to that diatribe.

Taixuquan99
08-15-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm all for personal responsibility, for fathers included, but the elected official who presides over a riot passing the buck doesn't stink of personal responsibility.

BJJ-Blue
08-15-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm all for personal responsibility, for fathers included, but the elected official who presides over a riot passing the buck doesn't stink of personal responsibility.

How is that "passing the buck"?

And if you read the entire speech, he is clear what will be done by the city he is Mayor of to stop the riots.

Taixuquan99
08-15-2011, 03:25 PM
How is that "passing the buck"?

And if you read the entire speech, he is clear what will be done by the city he is Mayor of to stop the riots.

"The city I am chief official of has come to rioting, and it's all the unwed mother's faults."

I don't get you. The red states have the worst records on divorce, why aren't you a Democrat?

rett
08-15-2011, 11:57 PM
Whatever people may think about the tone of the Mayor's speech, he is completely and absolutely right. He understands the community he is speaking to.

BJJ-Blue
08-16-2011, 06:56 AM
Whatever people may think about the tone of the Mayor's speech, he is completely and absolutely right. He understands the community he is speaking to.

No he isnt. Guys like Jamieson and Taix know more about the citizens of Philly and Britain than the Mayor of Philly and the PM of Britain do. :rolleyes:

Taixuquan99
08-16-2011, 07:03 AM
Apparently I know more about proving one's assertions, given that neither provides any supporting evidence to back up their claims.

If they know their community so well(cause, yeah, the British PM and people in the streets of London have so much in common), he could easily prove his assertion. He doesn't.

Am I saying some fatherless children in London didn't loot? No. same with Phillie. I am saying that they were hardly alone, and so that does not suffice for an explanation by any standard.

BJJ-Blue
08-16-2011, 07:17 AM
Apparently I know more about proving one's assertions, given that neither provides any supporting evidence to back up their claims.

The Mayor of Philly grew up there! He knows the people there. He actually grew up in West Philly, where over 70% of the population is black. So I would expect him to know a good bit about the black population in Philly.

Where did you grow up? I'll bet it wasn't West Philly.

So who would know more about a heavily black area in a major American city? A guy who grew up in one, or you? :rolleyes:

Taixuquan99
08-16-2011, 07:24 AM
The Mayor of Philly grew up there! He knows the people there. He actually grew up in West Philly, where over 70% of the population is black. So I would expect him to know a good bit about the black population in Philly.

Where did you grow up? I'll bet it wasn't West Philly.

So who would know more about a heavily black area in a major American city? A guy who grew up in one, or you? :rolleyes:

Unless the riots were entirely fatherless children, the explanation is flawed, regardless of the source, sorry, it's just common sense.

BJJ-Blue
08-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Unless the riots were entirely fatherless children, the explanation is flawed, regardless of the source, sorry, it's just common sense.

Ok, you win. You're right. You know more about the people of Britain than the PM of Britain does and you know more about the people of Philadelphia than the Mayor of Philadelphia does. My mistake, I should never have listened to those clueless guys, but should have just asked you what the causes of the riots were. I guess I learn something every day.

But hey, maybe you could score a good paying, cushy, Gov't job as an advisor/consultant to the Mayor or the PM since you know more about their constituents than they do.

rett
08-16-2011, 08:31 AM

Entirely isn't necessary. Just that there's a culture marked by fatherless boys. Their absent fathers usually didn't have much of a father either, so they don't even know how to fill that role. It's a messed up situation.

They ain't crack babies, they the crack babies' crack babies. Baby.

Taixuquan99
08-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Ok, you win. You're right. You know more about the people of Britain than the PM of Britain does and you know more about the people of Philadelphia than the Mayor of Philadelphia does. My mistake, I should never have listened to those clueless guys, but should have just asked you what the causes of the riots were. I guess I learn something every day.

But hey, maybe you could score a good paying, cushy, Gov't job as an advisor/consultant to the Mayor or the PM since you know more about their constituents than they do.

Way to avoid the weakness of your argument. Welcome to debate, where you actually have to explain your point.

Since you provide no evidence for your case, you are stuck with appeals to your authority and snide comments.

Which riot was made up of 100% fatherless children, genius?

Taixuquan99
08-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Entirely isn't necessary. Just that there's a culture marked by fatherless boys. Their absent fathers usually didn't have much of a father either, so they don't even know how to fill that role. It's a messed up situation.

They ain't crack babies, they the crack babies' crack babies. Baby.

To explain the riots as entirely the result of this requires that the rioters be fatherless, there's no way aroubnd this.

Since a good percentage of those in either riot very likely came from homes that don't match this criteria, you still have to explain why they rioted, and the explanation given fails to do this.

I'm not arguing against the value of a strong family unit of whatever nature, I'm arguing against this simplistic explanation based on ZERO DATA.

BJJ-Blue
08-16-2011, 08:36 AM
The PM and the Mayor explained their point. I just posted what they said. But hey, why are we still debating? I said you are right and that you know more about those guy's constutuents than they do.

And you're setting up a strawman by making up quotes/figures neither I, the Mayor, or the PM said. But hey, you still know more than all 3 of us combined. :rolleyes:

rett
08-16-2011, 08:37 AM
I disagree. As I wrote, the riot doesn't have to consist of 100% fatherless boys. If the culture of the rioters is marked by a large number of fatherless boys, they set the tone of behavior within the culture even for boys with fathers. This is how human groups work. Nothing is ever 100% cut and dry. You would make it impossibile to ever assert anything, because there's always an exception.

BJJ-Blue
08-16-2011, 08:38 AM
To explain the riots as entirely the result of this requires that the rioters be fatherless, there's no way aroubnd this.

And again, both men mentioned NUMEROUS factors, not just 1. But that's ok, just discount what they actually said and add in what they never said. That's how you win a debate. I'm glad you taught me that, since I've never known that debate tactic. Thanks. :rolleyes:

BJJ-Blue
08-16-2011, 08:40 AM
As I wrote, the riot doesn't have to consist of 100% fatherless boys.

No you didn't. We all know you said it did. And the Mayor did. And the PM did. And I did. How can you miss those things? You must not be as observant as Taix. After all, he found those assertions that neither of us could find. :rolleyes:

Taixuquan99
08-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Again with the disrespect? Okay.

To reiterate, their point is not supported by ANY DATA. None. I know the people of Chicago and Kansas City and Boulder, this does not make my assesment of how they spend their money valid WITHOUT SUPPORTING DATA SHOWING THAT THEY DO SPEND THEIR MONEY THAT WAY, period, end of story.

You are entirely situational in how you approach politicians. If they agree with you, they are authorities, if not, they are crooked or incompetent. Given this, no appeal to authority from you is worth bothering with. You totally won't argue the point, you're not posting this to debate, you're posting this because it's what you believe, fine, believe it, and avoid debate, you can't really do both without getting disrespectful

Shall I call you a disrespectful moron now, or after you backpedal on actually debating your points?

Taixuquan99
08-16-2011, 08:47 AM
I disagree. As I wrote, the riot doesn't have to consist of 100% fatherless boys. If the culture of the rioters is marked by a large number of fatherless boys, they set the tone of behavior within the culture even for boys with fathers. This is how human groups work. Nothing is ever 100% cut and dry. You would make it impossibile to ever assert anything, because there's always an exception.

If is one big question.

Second, if even having solid homes does not have a bearing, as you're suggesting, then the problem, as I've been saying, is way more complex than "it's the fatherless at fault." Which is all I've been saying.

Seriously, riots are more complex than that explanation.

Taixuquan99
08-16-2011, 08:49 AM
And again, both men mentioned NUMEROUS factors, not just 1.

The speach at the start of this thread is entirely, in every way, about being fathers and having fathers, from start to finish. I do not disagree with the message, except as a single and sole explanatory device for why a riot occured, which is just good reasoning.

But that's ok, just discount what they actually said and add in what they never said. That's how you win a debate. I'm glad you taught me that, since I've never known that debate tactic. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Why behave like a b@st@rd?

BJJ-Blue
08-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Again with the disrespect? Okay.

How so? I'm giving you credit for finding things I couldn't. Matter of fact, I must be really stupid, since I still can't find those things you're been saying they've said.

Shall I call you a disrespectful moron now, or after you backpedal on actually debating your points?

I'm kinda stuck here. I can't debate points I never made. :confused:

Your superior debating skills have me all tied in knots. I can't even remember what I said. Or find things you said I typed. Or things you said the PM and Mayor said. You're running circles around all 3 of us. Please fill me in on even more points we all made that I cant seem to find. :rolleyes:

Taixuquan99
08-16-2011, 08:51 AM
My post about disrespect was not aimed at you, Rett, I don't mind disagreement, just BJJ's passive aggressive douchebaggery.

BJJ-Blue
08-16-2011, 08:55 AM
The speach at the start of this thread is entirely, in every way, about being fathers and having fathers, from start to finish.

Of course it is. I must have misread yet again. There weren't 8 other factors the PM listed. He really only mentioned 1. I can't believe I thought there were 9. I'm really stupid/blind today.

FYI, you did read the ENTIRE speech, right? I was clear I only posted PART of the speech. But I did provide a link to the ENTIRE speech. Or maybe I didn't. I can't remember. You have me so confused I can't even remember what I said, or didn't say, or what I read, or what I didn't read. :rolleyes:

BJJ-Blue
08-16-2011, 08:57 AM
My post about disrespect was not aimed at you, Rett, I don't mind disagreement, just BJJ's passive aggressive douchebaggery.

How so? I admitted I'm wrong and that you are right. And that the PM only mentioned 1 factor, not 9. And that both the PM and the Mayor both only listed 1 factor. And that I only mentioned 1 factor. Why call me names when I'm giving you credit for your superior reading, debating, and comprehension skills? Do you not take compliments well?