PDA

View Full Version : Traditional Chinese Strengthening Exercises

neijiachuan
03-03-2001, 08:16 PM
Aside from your regular pushups and ab routines, what other tradtional stregthening exercises have you learned or been taught by your teachers? I have learned an exercise called "sleeping tigers" and an exercise called "leg sitting" that are an excellent way to develop lower & upper body strength and at the same time concentrating on breath control. So, they are a comboination of a breathing exercise and a muscle strengthening exercise. I'm willing to share these with anyone who is interested. Some Praying Mantis practitioners may be familiar with the "sleeping tigers" exercise.

neijiachuan

brucelee2
03-03-2001, 09:12 PM
I would like to hear more about these exercises.

mad taoist
03-04-2001, 06:14 AM
Am definately interested.

'If we do not go within, we go without'.

03-04-2001, 06:29 AM
I do PRAYING MANTIS ,but why should we tell you our secrets just like that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe you'll learn some shaolin qiqong in the yogurt yummmmmmmm....ad.,
kelvein chan

prana
03-04-2001, 06:43 AM
Most traditional Chinese Strenghtening execises are in the practice of the mind and not muscular force (yi)
And most power training in Chinese Martial Arts arrives from the flow of power from
1. The earth Element (Tou)
2. Tendon's (Kheng)
And lastly, the term power is very roughly but not directly translated to "Kung" and yet Kung translates to so many other meanings and implications.

But the true traditional training methods never far removes itself from the seperation of mind from matter, as developing the matter strenghtnes the mind, and hence sharpening the mind strengthens matter.

Breathe till there is no breath...

neptunesfall
03-05-2001, 12:52 AM
hi all....
the traditional exercises i do consist of stances and an upper body workout that is a moving isometric exercise. also i am currently undertaking Iron Body qigong, which has quite a few 'hard' qigong exercises and Muscle-Tendon Change, which is a 'hard' qigong.
i haven't touched a set of weights since i have started kung fu training, and i've found that if you push your self hard enough, you don't really need them....

SevenStar
03-18-2001, 06:07 AM
we do plyometric jumping exercises and plenty of stance training for lower body strength, and various exercises for upper body strength: arm boxing, we have weights tied to a rope and attached to a rod. We get in a low horse stance, extend our arms straight out and roll the weight up until it touches the rod, which builds forearm strength. we also do what we call panther leaps, and another exercise called iron buffalos.

"Civilize the mind, make savage the body."