PDA

View Full Version : Server configuration requests

rett
08-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Greetings tecchie admins,

I apologize if these questions have been asked before and debated to death.

Is it just me, or is there no "sent PM" outbox. I can't look at PM's I've sent, it's just empty. Is this really necessary?

What's with the 1000 character limit on PMs? That is so 1985. Are longer PMs really going to waste too much disk space in 2011?

thanks for looking at this.

David Jamieson
08-16-2011, 04:52 AM
YOu do have a sent box. when you go to your pms, look at the drop down box just above the messages.

It says: jump to folder inbox

click that, select sent items

alternately on the side bar to the left you can right click on the private messages title in the menu list and select sent items or you can track message history etc etc.

hope that helps.

rett
08-16-2011, 08:35 AM
YOu do have a sent box. when you go to your pms, look at the drop down box just above the messages.

It says: jump to folder inbox

click that, select sent items

alternately on the side bar to the left you can right click on the private messages title in the menu list and select sent items or you can track message history etc etc.

hope that helps.

Thanks. I've tried both of these but the folder comes up as having 0 messages. It's been like this ever since I registered and sent my first fledgling trepidation-filled PM. I can bring up the folder but it's empty, and I haven't deleted it.

GeneChing
08-16-2011, 10:17 AM
I have no idea why that is happening to you, rett.

This forum can be quirky sometimes, although I wouldn't call it 1985. I don't even remember forums that much from back then. 1995 would be more appropo. This forum was cutting edge then. Nowadays, forums aren't as significant, due to the rise of social networks. My beef with the soc-nets is that they aren't easily searchable archives.

David Jamieson
08-16-2011, 10:23 AM

This forum can be quirky sometimes, although I wouldn't call it 1985. I don't even remember forums that much from back then. 1995 would be more appropo. This forum was cutting edge then. Nowadays, forums aren't as significant, due to the rise of social networks. My beef with the soc-nets is that they aren't easily searchable archives.

You are doing your web presence optimization properly though.

running the facebook site, a youtube channel and keeping your twitter account active and always pointing at this site and it's content is how to do it. You have the good luck of being in an industry where you can generate conversation about so many things.

try being in architectural manufacturing and keep it fresh all the time! "hey guys we just finished our 50, millionth widget" or "hey guys, how about that ridiculous price of steel today?"

...it's a difficult business to promote in such a manner.

This? Not so much! :p

rett
08-16-2011, 10:31 AM

Thanks. If it's just a random quirk then I take back the 1985 bit. It's more of 1984! :eek:;)

GeneChing
08-16-2011, 04:12 PM
You're right, DJ - there are so many platforms nowadays. Our facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kung-Fu-Tai-Chi-Magazine/135964689362) community, while it has some overlap, is quite distinct. Case and point, we just got one of our first negative comments there "kung fu does not work, it it did they would be in the UFC and be rich with lots of money, there fighters and not dancers." How many times have we heard that here? :rolleyes: Nevertheless, while many think that forums are outdated because of the social networks, we're building a searchable database, one that comes up on google for almost any martial arts question. That's a lot of power for us. Plus it's free content.

That being said, while we kept up on the updates for vBulletin (our forum), it still gets a little buggy now and again, 1984 not withstanding. My apologies, rett. It's not perfect, but it's what we got.

hey guys, how about that ridiculous price of ridiculous snake skin scabbard and pewter cobrahead katanas today?

rett
08-17-2011, 04:29 AM
I just meant 1984 as in creepy, big brother, the book, that's all. Stupid joke.

The searchable database is fantastic. There's so much good stuff there and I've just scratched the surface.

My requests were really just requests. Not trying to bash this fine platform.

GeneChing
08-17-2011, 01:57 PM
I got the 1984 reference. That was one of my fav books in high school. Still is. :D

Still pondering what is going on with your outgoing PMs. I've never had problems with my outgoing PM box, and I do a lot of PMing.

rett
08-18-2011, 03:11 AM
It might be the kind of thing that fixes itself with the next software update. Don't worry to much about it. I just asked in case it was a deliberate setting and could easily be changed.

GeneChing
08-18-2011, 10:20 AM
We don't have an update scheduled. vBulletin alerts us when there is one. Let me know if it ever does fix itself. It's an odd problem for sure. Thanks for your understanding, rett.