PDA

View Full Version : Choy Li Fut--crane and leopard or dragon and leopard

LaterthanNever
08-16-2011, 03:40 PM
I realize this may be somewhat of a generalization of sorts.

Hung Ga has been called the "Tiger Crane" style..though we also see all 5 animals represented.

An acquaintence of mine who is a CLF sifu mentioned once that CLF(He teaches Hung Sing branch) that CLF is based more on the dragon and leopard, whereas Hung is based more on Tiger-Crane.

However someone else told me recently that CLF is based more on the crane and leopard.

Can anyone comment?

hskwarrior
08-16-2011, 04:42 PM
CLF covers all five animals in essence as well as in form. but, the Fut San Hung Sing CLF as founded by Jeung Yim has the flavor of Tiger and Crane as well.

CLFNole
08-16-2011, 06:45 PM
I don't think CLF can be generalized to just 2 animals. Hung Gar gets it becuase of the Tiger-Crane form for the most part.

TenTigers
08-17-2011, 04:46 PM
I don't think CLF can be generalized to just 2 animals. Hung Gar gets it becuase of the Tiger-Crane form for the most part.
True. The Tiger/Crane set is the most often demonstrated as it is a dynamic set showing both hard and soft techniques. But-Hung Gar is a Five Animal system.

CLFNole
08-17-2011, 05:26 PM
True. The Tiger/Crane set is the most often demonstrated as it is a dynamic set showing both hard and soft techniques. But-Hung Gar is a Five Animal system.

I agree just meant the reason some call it Tiger-Crane (albeit wrongly) is becuase the form is famous. Both styles can't be generalized to two animals as there are many other aspects such as other animals in both systems as well as a lot of palming in CLF and the 5 elements in Hung Gar.

Eric Olson
08-26-2011, 07:29 AM
I would say CLF definitely emphasizes the leopard and crane over the other 3 shaolin animals. In CLF there are also 5 other animals besides those of Shaolin including the deer, monkey, elephant, lion and I believe horse or maybe eagle.

You could say those long swinging arm techniques are more or less the elephant.

EO