PDA

View Full Version : Kink in my back

Budokan
04-02-2001, 09:59 PM
I've got a kink in my back that's been plaguing me for the past 3 days. Any suggestions on how I can work it out, or stretch it out? It's really becoming a bother...

K. Mark Hoover

Watchman
04-02-2001, 11:38 PM
Is it muscle soreness, or does it feel like nerve pain?

I would suggest visiting your friendly neighborhood chiropracter. It may sound goofy, but regular chiropractic adjustments keep you in top form. I've been seeing my "back breaker" three times a week for over a year now and can't stop harping about how much my health, and my kung fu, has improved.

Other than that, hanging back stretches also go a ways to do the trick as well. Hang by your hands from a pull-up bar and relax your entire body as much as possible to let your weight help align and stretch everything.

GLW
04-03-2001, 01:17 AM
if you wish to try the herbal path, hit the health food store and buy some VALERIAN ROOT tablets. This is a natural muscle relaxant that does not require a prescription...and is readily available.

Beware, though, of any allergies...if you tend to have allergies to any herbs, be careful.

Also, Valerian root tablets tend to smell pretty badly...but they work well to relax the muscles. It would also make it easier for a chiropractor to do an adjustment if you had taken that the day before and the day of your visit.

Brian_CA
04-03-2001, 03:41 AM
What was the cause of the kink? What motion made it happen? Do you have existing back issues? If so, what kind? Do you stretch at least three times a week?

Brian
San Francisco,ca

Budokan
04-03-2001, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the responses, everybody. Yes, I stretch out more than 3 times a week. I dunno what brought it on, it just flared up all of a sudden. Felt more like a nerve pinched than a pulled muscle. Happily, I woke up this morning and it was suddenly much better. Still twinges a bit, though. I've had a problem with this from time to time throughout my adult life ever since I was doing heavy-lifting contract work for Texaco about 20 years ago. Comes and goes, you know?

I'll look into a "back-breaker" if the problem persists...

K. Mark Hoover

JWTAYLOR
04-03-2001, 07:46 PM
This helps me allot.
Lie flat on your back, feet together, hands at your side. Lay there perfectly still for whatever time it takes your back to really relax. Usually about 5-10 minutes for me. Then work on pressing every single part of your back to the ground. The idea is to straiten out the double S curve. I don't think it's really possible, but try it and see if it helps.
JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Budokan
04-03-2001, 08:52 PM
Thanks, JWT. I'll try it tonight...

K. Mark Hoover

chongnoi
04-15-2001, 02:42 AM
Step One: travel to Asia (preferably Vietnam, Thailand, Japan, or Indonesia)

Step Two: Meet a nice traditional petite Asian Lady

Step Three: Treat her nice, be virtous, fall in love and marry her

Step Four: Have her massage the kinks out of your back!!

Step Five: Enjoy Life!!!!!:)

JWTAYLOR
04-16-2001, 05:46 PM
Well sh!t, never mind my plan.
JWT