PDA

View Full Version : Review: Pak Mei Hand Controls Seminar

Golden Arms
08-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Got back from the retreat on Tuesday. I did a write up with pictures that can be found at this link: Lake Temagami Retreat (http://www.appliedcombat.com/?page_id=314)

In short, everyone (including myself) that attended had a great time, learned a lot, and it was a great opportunity to train authentic and rare Chinese martial arts outside in a truly amazing natural setting. The feeling one gets from training outside, in semi seclusion and in the fresh air is fantastic and hard to describe.

Aside from training there was plenty of time to fish, canoe, swim, bbq, and unwind by the fire.

Topics covered in the last camp included:

Pak Mei (White Eyebrow) Hand Controls
Shanghai Wu Style Tai Chi
Short Fist Boxing
Loong Ying (Dragon Claw) Pole
Iron Dummy Work

The August retreat for 2012 is full, last I heard he has two slots open in July for people that might be interested (I am sure he will have details later in the year on his website, www.pakmei.net).

If you have ever wanted to learn about the methods and use of authentic Pak Mei or Short Fist, Wu style Tai Chi for combat as well as health, or Loong Ying weapons, Mr. Doucet is a great resource.

Hope to see some of you there next year.

sanjuro_ronin
08-23-2011, 05:17 AM
Careful in throwing around the term "authentic", by that you are implying that the rest that is out there is NOT authentic.

I am glad you had a great time :)
Mike is looking good.

Can you give us a run down of some of the things that left a lasting impression on you?

Golden Arms
08-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Careful in throwing around the term "authentic", by that you are implying that the rest that is out there is NOT authentic.

I am glad you had a great time :)
Mike is looking good.

Can you give us a run down of some of the things that left a lasting impression on you?

I used the term authentic because White Eyebrow has been the victim historically of a lot of misinformation being distributed due to its generally being taught behind closed doors. Using the old Kung Fu movies for example, Hung Gar looks like Hung Gar (albeit usually pretty choppy LOL), but not much of anything that is supposed to represent Pak Mei was even the same shape as the movements and body method used in the actual art.

About the seminar with Mike Doucet:
I really enjoyed learning the Loong Ying pole set, the mechanics of it were interesting to pick up and Mike went into detail about the strategies used in fighting with that pole method, as well as how different movements were used to set each other up. Coming from Hung Gar pole methods there was some overlap as well as some interesting differences.

The methods and usage of the Short Fist and Pak Mei hand control material was great to work with. You could see how a person could learn his system and be able to fight with or without gloves or gear in a fairly short amount of time (not something Chinese systems are generally known for in my experience).

Mike Doucet is also very hands on if a person asked to feel how something worked. Over all it was a fun time and a hell of a lot of information :D

Dark Chi
09-07-2011, 11:01 AM
I hope mine is authentic.Then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

Golden Arms
09-09-2011, 11:23 AM
From another thread:
...but after yesterday on youtube pm I think Ive had enough of Videos

That is what I meant by "authentic" and "misinformation" regarding Pak Mei. :D

Faruq
09-09-2011, 06:47 PM
The methods and usage of the Short Fist and Pak Mei hand control material was great to work with. You could see how a person could learn his system and be able to fight with or without gloves or gear in a fairly short amount of time (not something Chinese systems are generally known for in my experience). :D

Amazing! It's so often said it takes a lifetime to master, and that only one form can be learned in a year's time, but it's seems from your experience that those conceptions may be more tradition than fact. It's really a pity that good Bak Mei Pai is so hard to come by. I guess if it were being taught everywhere, it'd be watered down like McDojo karate, lol. ****, you're lucky to have been able to go...

Golden Arms
09-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Amazing! It's so often said it takes a lifetime to master, and that only one form can be learned in a year's time, but it's seems from your experience that those conceptions may be more tradition than fact. It's really a pity that good Bak Mei Pai is so hard to come by. I guess if it were being taught everywhere, it'd be watered down like McDojo karate, lol. ****, you're lucky to have been able to go...

I was referring to Mr. Doucet's ability to teach short fist and how he is able to teach people to fight in a systematic and realistic fashion. Pak Mei is not something to be rushed, it's basics are more in depth than most systems and must be worked until one is proficient and can use it in an alive manner. Rushing it would be a disservice to the student and the teacher.

Like anything worthwhile it takes a lot of hard work and dedication.

sanjuro_ronin
09-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Careful now, there is a fine line between witty banter and getting banned.
I let a few thread go to see what would develop, and since NOTHING but "chest thumbing" developed, they were closed.
My perogative as moderator, if you don't like it, you know where the door is.

Golden Arms
09-26-2011, 11:23 AM

sanjuro_ronin
09-26-2011, 11:58 AM
All taken care of.