PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to help me?

JamesC
08-27-2011, 07:02 AM
My workouts(weightlifting) have recently had to undergo a huge change(due to gym changes, work schedule changes and some other things). I've had to switch from a strength routine to a more time-efficient full body workout routine.

What this means is that my off days I do cardio and conditioning to prep for an upcoming PT test(late December). As i've discussed with quite a few people on here, i've been looking to learn a(some) kung fu forms via dvd for conditioning purposes.

I have a background in muay thai(3 years) and sub-grappling(3 years), as well as shorin-ryu karate(1 year). So, I have an understanding of proper body mechanics and such.

Again, i'm not wanting to learn this stuff in order to teach it. Just for conditioning and perhaps to add/learn some things for my current martial arts knowledge.

I have a good friend(TKD instructor) that collects martial art training videos as a hobby(No joke. He will literally watch them over regular tv. He's an instructor for a school and says that they sometimes give him new ideas to try when sparring and teaching. Does anyone else do this?) and he's offered me a list of the ones he has that I can borrow.

With all that said, if I was to attempt to learn some of these things, i'd want to at least make an effort to do it correctly. If I filmed myself on perhaps a bi-weekly basis, posted it on youtube, is there anyone here that would be willing to correct form problems, give pointers for practice, etc?

What i'd also try to do is film myself shadowboxing, hitting the bag, etc, and perhaps trying to work in some of the new stuff that i'm trying to learn. All of which would be done from a basic muay thai stance, since that is how I fight and spar.

This will probably end up being a fun experiment for myself and others involved. I'd keep a regular workout log for convenience.

My buddy offered to loan me some of Dr. Yang's DVDs as well as some others. Here's a list of what he said he had:

- Shaolin Kung Fu Fundamental Training - Dr Yang
- Shaolin Long Fist Kung Fu Basic Sequences - Dr Yang
- Shaolin White Crane Gong Fu Basic Training - Dr Yang
- Baguazhang The Art of Change - Ted Mancuso
- Cha Boxing Basics - He said this one was all in Chinese...
- Complete Taekwondo Kicking - Sang H. Kim
- Mastering Wushu - Jiang Bangjun
- Shuai-Jiao - Yuan Zumou(I dunno why he listed this one since I don't have a training partner...)

He's also got a bunch of law enforcement dvds that he was gonna send me a list of too. Just because those may be useful in my job.

Anyways, just let me know if anyone would be interested in it. Also, if anyone has experience with those DVDs or have any that would be better suited, that would be great too. Thanks.

Lucas
09-17-2011, 08:05 AM
I think that if you post yourself doing some new forms, you wouldn't have a problem finding people to critique them for you :p

I'll totally offer what limited help my feeble skills can manage. I have experience in longfist.

bawang
09-17-2011, 10:35 AM
i will hlep you because you are strong with big muskles we are both alpha like lions

*flex biceps