PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Iron Body students

Badger
10-31-2001, 10:36 PM
I was just looking at the "why do Iron Body" thread & am wondering what are the training methods to attain this.I know you prob. need a legimate instructor but i am just curious what you have to go through.

Thanks!!!
Badger

Support The Economy. Buy A Gun.

Braden
10-31-2001, 10:38 PM
In internal style, standing qigong to train the proper posture and breathing forms the foundation for all iron body skills.

Badger
10-31-2001, 10:41 PM
Forgive my stupidity but what exactly is qigong?

Badger

Support The Economy. Buy A Gun.

Braden
10-31-2001, 10:50 PM
Well... I don't know much about external style, but from what I've seen, their methods tend to focus on hitting yourself lightly in a variety of ways.

In comparison, the internal styles focus on training a certain way to hold and move reflexively with a posture that is maximized for martial usage. In terms of 'iron body' practice, holding the spine a certain way to maximize it's ability to cushion shock, tilting the chin a certain way, keeping the jaw closed a certain way, and moving the body in a certain way so as to facilitate these things, and keep it relaxed and "alive" so it can also fade/roll/yield with incoming force. Qigong refers to a broad range of exercises where this particular way of standing and moving is practiced along with particular ways of breathing. Once the foundation has been set, this can be practiced specifically with 'iron body' in mind, for example with medicine ball drills or just plain getting hit. It is very good for blows to the torso and to a lesser extent limbs and parts of the face/head (especially stiff or plowing kinds of blows). It's not going to help for groin/throat/etc hits.

Wongsifu
11-01-2001, 01:24 AM
basically qigong or chi kung ,,means art of energy chi = energy , so in chi kung we move the enrgy of our body around for health or martial purposes.

In iron body , you either do postures as braden describesd for internal or chi kung iron body training, and build a layer of chi around you for defense .

or in the external case

You beat your body , to toughen the skin and denseen the bone, but the beating is gentle many people have the misconception that its ok to batter your body hard ...
This doesnt help !!! you staart of gently and work your way to harder so that hard doesnt actually hurt.

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Kung Lek
11-01-2001, 01:36 AM
chi=breath kung=work

chi kung means "breath work" literally.

the indian equivalent would be "prana veyda" which means "breath knowledge".

the breath is more than just the air you take in, it is all other essence and substance drawn in, and expelled as well. more than just oxygen.

Iron body practice draws on breath work, but also draws on internal work or "Nei Gong" (Nei Kung).
This is working with the result of the energies within. IE:electro magnetic, bio electric, chemical energies that are existant in all of us and the use of them to optimize the function of ones self.

The "water body" is Key in Iron body. The fluids that are brought to the surface serve as a shield from external forces by absorbing that energy and spreading it across the water body so that less damage is inflicted.

This, is a very superficial desription of what it involves, there are many aspects including physical and mental conditioning that are involved in the practice. But, it is useless to go into it here and to attach to much verbiage and intellectualization to it moves ****her and ****her from the truth of the practice. :)

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

tiger lui
11-01-2001, 08:42 AM
it is just as kung lek says,our training method goes as follows,you are doing standing meditation[which you must know all about] you move into postures that reveal certain body parts,your sifu hits you three times with a club[ours is made up of four sticks taped together] after each body part is hit you go back to meditating,you get hit in the stomach,each side of your chest,your back,in your side under each armpit[lats],ontop and underneath each arm,your forehead,the side of each thigh,the back of your thighs[hamstrings] your calves.this has to be done for 100 days,you miss a day you start again,your sifu should be able to gauge your reaction and progresevly hit you harder and harder,you should feel no pain,there should be no welts or marks,the hits should bounce of you with a clapping sound and thats basic iron body as done by tai chi praying mantis.cheers ;)