PDA

View Full Version : How can you get a higher Side Kick?

TongLongPai
03-12-2001, 10:34 AM
Dear Friends,

Could you spare some info on how I can Increase my height on the Side Kick. My hip has a sharp pain when I perform my "SK". Perhaps do I need more stretching??? Any info Please> :)

Omitoufo,
TLP

JJMantis
03-14-2001, 01:34 PM
Take it slowly, but yes, you need to stretch. You are trying to make the muscles in your legs longer, so it is an ongoing process that won't happen over night. It's similar to weight lifting, in that you need consistency and you need to increase your level of strectch just as you would increase the weight.

For particular stretches, the side stretch is dubbed the "side kick stretch" for good reason. But also work on your horse stance. It will help with hip flexability. For some detailed info on stretching in general, check this out:
http://www.dragonslist.com/homepages/external/jjmantis/stretching.txt

I saved this off the net one time, then couldn't find the original article again. It's public domain, so I put it up on my own website.

Next you can do the standing side kick stretch. Have a partner put your leg on his shoulder, in side kick position, and have him stand up slowly. Keep your heel pointed and your body up. Leaning back to gain height for the side kick is a no-no. Hope this helps.

_J

beiquan
03-15-2001, 12:57 AM
also, work on your stomach muscles, especially the obliques(below the ribs) -- these play a large part in the side kick.

joedoe
03-15-2001, 04:29 AM
Find a really tall person and get them to hang out with you heaps. Now you have a higher side kick.

Sorry. Just had to be a smart arse :)

As my high kicks suck, I can't give you any advice.

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

Mr. Nemo
03-15-2001, 07:06 AM
Your hip has a sharp pain? That doesn't sound right. Are you pointing the toe of your stationary foot away from the direction you're kicking in?

I'd agree with whoever said to take it slow. A sharp pain anywhere is often an indication that something's not right.

I used dymanic stretches to increase the height of my side kick.

Vankuen
03-15-2001, 04:12 PM
Something else you might want to consider is that Ive actually seen it where some peoples hips just simply didnt allow for higher kicks, it wasnt even a matter of stretching, but rather bone structure. Im not saying this is the case for you, as I feel it is not common for this to be so, but something to think about.

The only reason I say that is because of the whole "sharp pain" thing you mentioned. I used to get pains doing all my flashy jump kicks back when I was younger, it was the ligament thats right on the front of the hips where the leg goes into the hip, yeah I used to jack those up really good! Once those got popped, no more kicking for that day!

Oh! One more thing, I used to love kicking high, I used to have a left leg vertical side kick! Im talking straight up and down. Since that time Ive found that I do considerably less kicking of that nature. My kicks now have developed into low line invisible kicks that are more patterned for fighting rather than show. Basically, if youre looking to use this or self defense purposes, then I wouldnt worry too too much, as you neednt kick much higher then the waist in a fight anyway. Just an FYI for ya, good luck with your stretching though....take it easy...dont rush that if you want to progess. If you mess something up down there it will take you even longer to get where you want to be.

Kung Lek
03-15-2001, 06:58 PM
front and side splits stretches every day until you max (you may not achieve full splits because of you pelvic structure or because of the fact that you may get frustrated with the amount of time it takes to stretch tendon. Muscle and sinew will stretch fairly normally but tendon can take a long time if you are already well into your twenties or older.That's just the way it is.

Also practice practice practice.

btw, your side kick will have much more "juice" in it if you keep it to the waist or below.

peace

Kung Lek

Waidan
03-15-2001, 08:02 PM
I can identify with the "sharp pain" thing. I only get it in my right leg, and it's no joke. In my case, it's due to a hip misalignment that I've been working to correct for some time now. It's quite possible you have the same condition.

Chiropractics can help temporarily (basically as pain relief), but the real answer lies in yogic practice and some good internal training. The tendons and muscles in that area of your body have to be re-trained. I've been studying bagua for a year now, and my back and hip pain are down 90% (seriously).

Good luck!

fiercest tiger
03-17-2001, 07:26 AM
hold something and slowly do your side kicks or all kicks. start with a chair and slowly lift leg up and kick over chair, hold it then bring leg back over and down to starting position.

gradually kick higher like a table, or switch the light on or off the same way, this will build good leg strength.

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

kungfu cowboy
03-19-2001, 04:48 PM
Hee-hee! That was really funny ABandit!! :D