PDA

View Full Version : Guandong Quan Mystery

Royal Dragon
08-31-2011, 11:27 PM
Hello!
Does anyone know anything about the form Shaolin Guan Dong Quan (Eastern Gate Boxing)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM__IOqodds

When was it created? Who developed it? Where is it from? Is it ancient or modern?

I have heard different things. One of which is that this set came from Zhao Kuang Yin originally. It was supposed to be paired with GuanXi Quan (another set that is a mystery to me)

The problem I have is that I am under the impression this set was lost to Shaolin. So I am confused. Is this set the original ancient set? or a modern one recently made up to replace the original?

Also, if anyone has any info on the ancient form, I could really use some help here.

There is a persistent rummer that the Guan Dong quan, and GuanXi Quan of Zhao Kuang yin (along with a 36 posture set, and a 366 one) are preserved in the Taoist lines at Wudang. I am looking for those 4 sets.

RenDaHai
09-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Thats an interesting question;

THere are two ancient lineages in Songshan that come from shaolin but have been undisturbed for 360 years and 500 years respectively (Ruan Pai and Mogou pai). Both of them contain both GuanXi and Guandong quan as well as many standard shaolin sets. This would imply that both forms were part of the essential syllabus a long time ago.

The funny thing is in Mogou Pai the Guandong quan has been lost recently but GuanXi quan remains. In Ruan Pai the Guanxi quan is lost but the Guandong remains.

In terms of Dengfeng and the current shaolin, GuanXi quan is lost completely, however Guandong quan remains.

I have seen 3 major variations in the guandong quan in dengfeng. Some versions contain elements of Qixing quan which imply they are surviving parts of the now lost Mogou Guandong quan. The third version looks sort of like the Ruan Pai version of today.

I would then assume that the Guandong and Guanxi fists of shaolin have been lost some time ago, but that they were borrowed in the last say 200 years from the surviving sets in the Mogou and Ruan styles.

I can't watch the video but I expect it is a version I have seen already.

This post probably creates more questions than it answers.....sorry.

Guandong and Guanxi quan are references to chinese history, it is likely these names appear in many styles.

They are most probably part of the HongQuan from which Xiao and Da hong quan are derived.

Royal Dragon
09-01-2011, 07:46 AM
THere are two ancient lineages in Songshan that come from shaolin but have been undisturbed for 360 years and 500 years respectively (Ruan Pai and Mogou pai). Both of them contain both GuanXi and Guandong quan as well as many standard shaolin sets. This would imply that both forms were part of the essential syllabus a long time ago.

I would love to see video of these!! Any chance you might be able to dig some up?

These sets were supposed to have come from Zhao Kuang Yin originally, so they should have been part of the Shaolin curriculum along side of Lao Hong Quan, 32 Tai Tzu Chang Chuan, and the Han Tong Tonbiquan sets.

RenDaHai
09-01-2011, 09:20 AM
@RD

There are no existing videos of these forms on the internet. I'll get around to filming in the villages one day.

In popular shaolin Mythology ZhaoKuangYin learned these sets from JinNaLuoWang. So shaolins Hong Quan is the true legacy of King Luo. (popular myth, not necesserily historically accurate)

Of these the most important is Xiao Hong Quan. Even in these older lineages Xiaohongquan has 4 sets. All of them the same length. These sets are themselves more interesting than all the others of hong quan since they form a complete base. These would be the best thing to focus on to recreate The old technique. The 2,3 and 4th forms of XHQ have been altered much less than the first set (conjecture from comparing lineages).

LaoHongQuan varies a lot between sects. Guandong and GuanXi are borderline extinct...Tongbei is a good bet, but there are so many variations on that name isolating which is the original is very hard, and shaolin Taizu quan is a complicated history. I think XHQ is the best bet to understand the old technique.

Isolating the Song Dynasty Technique is also one of my goals.

Royal Dragon
09-01-2011, 09:48 AM
@RD

There are no existing videos of these forms on the internet. I'll get around to filming in the villages one day.

In popular shaolin Mythology ZhaoKuangYin learned these sets from JinNaLuoWang. So shaolins Hong Quan is the true legacy of King Luo. (popular myth, not necesserily historically accurate)

Of these the most important is Xiao Hong Quan. Even in these older lineages Xiaohongquan has 4 sets. All of them the same length. These sets are themselves more interesting than all the others of hong quan since they form a complete base. These would be the best thing to focus on to recreate The old technique. The 2,3 and 4th forms of XHQ have been altered much less than the first set (conjecture from comparing lineages).

LaoHongQuan varies a lot between sects. Guandong and GuanXi are borderline extinct...Tongbei is a good bet, but there are so many variations on that name isolating which is the original is very hard, and shaolin Taizu quan is a complicated history. I think XHQ is the best bet to understand the old technique.

Isolating the Song Dynasty Technique is also one of my goals.

My focus is the stuff that came from Zhao Kuang Yin. There are only a hand full of sets that can be traced to him. Much of that is oral legend only though. These are the sets we know of.

1, Yuan Hou Quan (Ape Monkey) - Zhao was known to do this set (maybe just a collection of lose techniques when he did it though), but Shaolin got it from the same source as he did, rather than from him directly.

2. Lao Hong Quan - Based on Sal's research, I am saying that this is the only set he personally passed directly to Shaolin, and has written documentation. It's based on all the techniques he traded to the Monks for study of thier Rouquan stuff.

Since he was trading his stuff, for thiers, one can only assume he offered his personal favorite and most successful skills. This makes this set, if anything, the representation of his personal art.

3. 6 Roads Da Hong Quan - This set was made from the notes Zhao Kuang Yin left at Shaolin, hundreds of years after he died. To me, it looks like a big collection of techniques collected from who only knows where.

4. Guandong & GuanXi - Both are said to have been passed by him personally, but I have never found anything on the mechanism for that (When, where and who he passed it too, what was the circumstances etc..). My best guess is that these sets are ones he created to document the martial arts he picked up from those geographic areas, more than being his personal arts.

With few exceptions, everything else was created by others, and just attributed to him. This is especially true of sets actually called "Tai Tzu". The famous Shaolin 32 posture Tai Tzu Chang Chuan set is an example of this.

The Guandong quan, and GuanXi quan are the big mystery. I have heard rumurs that these sets area around, but have yet to find them. I am hoping this thread shed some light on them.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-27-2011, 10:20 AM
No one has any info on the set I posted in the OP? Is it the old, ancient one? or is it a modern recreation?

Howard
09-27-2011, 05:18 PM
There are no sets from Zhao Kuangyin.....

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-27-2011, 10:28 PM

Actually, that is not true. Lao Hong Quan is in the Shaolin records as having been passed to Shaolin by Zhao Kuang Yin. Or at the very least, the loose techniques. The form was then created either as a joint venture, or later by the monks. Either way, Lao Hong Quan is his stuff. I have no doubt about that.

There are also the sets of GuanXi Quan, and Guandong Quan that are said to have been passed by him as well. There is also a 36 posture set, and another 366 that are supposedly preserved at Wudang. Those sets may just be oral legend though, but it is a persistent one.

B.Tunks
09-28-2011, 12:07 AM

Agreed.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Agreed.

Then what is Lao Hong Quan?

Howard
09-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Then what is Lao Hong Quan? a form....(but not created by Zhao Kuangyin!) .... and shaolin records are bogus most of the time!...

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-30-2011, 03:20 PM
a form....(but not created by Zhao Kuangyin!) .... and shaolin records are bogus most of the time!...

What makes you say that?

LFJ
01-07-2012, 03:27 PM
My focus is the stuff that came from Zhao Kuang Yin. There are only a hand full of sets that can be traced to him. Much of that is oral legend only though. These are the sets we know of.

1, Yuan Hou Quan (Ape Monkey) - Zhao was known to do this set (maybe just a collection of lose techniques when he did it though), but Shaolin got it from the same source as he did, rather than from him directly.

2. Lao Hong Quan - Based on Sal's research, I am saying that this is the only set he personally passed directly to Shaolin, and has written documentation. It's based on all the techniques he traded to the Monks for study of thier Rouquan stuff.

Since he was trading his stuff, for thiers, one can only assume he offered his personal favorite and most successful skills. This makes this set, if anything, the representation of his personal art.

3. 6 Roads Da Hong Quan - This set was made from the notes Zhao Kuang Yin left at Shaolin, hundreds of years after he died. To me, it looks like a big collection of techniques collected from who only knows where.

4. Guandong & GuanXi - Both are said to have been passed by him personally, but I have never found anything on the mechanism for that (When, where and who he passed it too, what was the circumstances etc..). My best guess is that these sets are ones he created to document the martial arts he picked up from those geographic areas, more than being his personal arts.

With few exceptions, everything else was created by others, and just attributed to him. This is especially true of sets actually called "Tai Tzu". The famous Shaolin 32 posture Tai Tzu Chang Chuan set is an example of this.

The Guandong quan, and GuanXi quan are the big mystery. I have heard rumurs that these sets area around, but have yet to find them. I am hoping this thread shed some light on them.

I have shown the video you posted of Guandongquan to a fellow Shaolin practitioner who says his teacher does it very differently, although I haven't seen his version, and don't personally know these sets.

But to add to your sets taught by Zhao Kuangyin, the Shaolin Encyclopedia includes a set said to have been taught directly by Zhao to Shaolin, called Linglongquan (玲珑拳). Don't know if you are familiar with this one or not.

The Encyc. also names some weapon forms, such as a spear set called 13 Mingqiang (十三名枪), not the same as the commonly known Shisanqiang (十三枪).

Shaolin
01-08-2012, 08:54 AM

Uhg! That was horrible. I've seen several videos from this series; they have no soul to them. Every one of them is performed the exact same way. No real power, stiff, choppy and too fast. No tempo change. It looks like they're just running through the sets as fast as possible.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-08-2012, 02:19 PM
I have shown the video you posted of Guandongquan to a fellow Shaolin practitioner who says his teacher does it very differently, although I haven't seen his version, and don't personally know these sets.

But to add to your sets taught by Zhao Kuangyin, the Shaolin Encyclopedia includes a set said to have been taught directly by Zhao to Shaolin, called Linglongquan (玲珑拳). Don't know if you are familiar with this one or not.

The Encyc. also names some weapon forms, such as a spear set called 13 Mingqiang (十三名枪), not the same as the commonly known Shisanqiang (十三枪).

Does the encyclopedia show these forms?

I have heard of the 13 famous spear set, and originally did confuse it with the more common Shaolin one. I have never seen it though, and never found anyone who knows is.

I never heard if the Linglongquan, only Lao Hong Quan, which he exchanged for training in the softer skills right before he went into the military. I have the diagram of this, as well as footage of Sal doing the first section. I worked out all 4 roads, but I need to see Sal so he can tune me in and correct me still.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Uhg! That was horrible. I've seen several videos from this series; they have no soul to them. Every one of them is performed the exact same way. No real power, stiff, choppy and too fast. No tempo change. It looks like they're just running through the sets as fast as possible.

Yeah, the performance is beyond bad. it was the only one I could find to post for comparison though. I don't know the form, I am trying to determine when this one was created, and if it is a legit part of the Tai Tzu system.

If it's not a legit part of the Tai Tzu, I an not adding it to my collection because I hate learning new forms. I only know the forms I absolutely have to know.

Sal Canzonieri
01-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Yeah, the performance is beyond bad. it was the only one I could find to post for comparison though. I don't know the form, I am trying to determine when this one was created, and if it is a legit part of the Tai Tzu system.

If it's not a legit part of the Tai Tzu, I an not adding it to my collection because I hate learning new forms. I only know the forms I absolutely have to know.

far as I know this set shown is a recreation made in the Qing Dynasty when the other more well known sets were made. It;s not the old original set.

One version of the 2 sets can be found in the Shanxi Hong Quan system.
another version can be found in Hebei province as part of the Liu He Quan system.
Another version, some say the most accurate version, is part of Wudang Mt. Hong Quan.

Howard
01-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Another version, some say the most accurate version, is part of Wudang Mt. Hong Quan.

Really ? Wudang Hong Quan is from the greater Xuzhou area in the central plains. such as Feng county and Peixian county - it is likely younger than Liuhe Quan, Yanqing Quan and Shanxi Hong Quan which have same named forms.

The Legend: During the Song dynasty there was some Wudang Mt Daoist lay disciple who was surnamed 'Hong' and had apparently been motivated by the stories of Song Taizu's armies which would be split into East, west etc...then the boxing took attributes along those lines...

The Closer reality: Zhang Dongshu (1856-1933) was fond of MA when he was young and studied with his father Zhang Wanqing (an expert of so-called Wudang Hong Quan) and learnt from many teachers/boxer friends (in those days many boxers around the Yihe tuan and other rebellious activities) ... afterwhich he established the Wudang Hongquan system.

Sal Canzonieri
01-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Really ? Wudang Hong Quan is from the greater Xuzhou area in the central plains. such as Feng county and Peixian county - it is likely younger than Liuhe Quan, Yanqing Quan and Shanxi Hong Quan which have same named forms.

The Legend: During the Song dynasty there was some Wudang Mt Daoist lay disciple who was surnamed 'Hong' and had apparently been motivated by the stories of Song Taizu's armies which would be split into East, west etc...then the boxing took attributes along those lines...

The Closer reality: Zhang Dongshu (1856-1933) was fond of MA when he was young and studied with his father Zhang Wanqing (an expert of so-called Wudang Hong Quan) and learnt from many teachers/boxer friends (in those days many boxers around the Yihe tuan and other rebellious activities) ... afterwhich he established the Wudang Hongquan system.

Thanks for posting that information. Yeah, the emphasis in what I posted was on "SOME say", ha. As we all well know how it can be in solving Chinese puzzles.

LFJ
01-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Does the encyclopedia show these forms?

I have heard of the 13 famous spear set, and originally did confuse it with the more common Shaolin one. I have never seen it though, and never found anyone who knows is.

I never heard if the Linglongquan, only Lao Hong Quan, which he exchanged for training in the softer skills right before he went into the military.

Yes, the encyclopedia shows both. The history bit tells the same story. They were both part of the material ZKY exchanged with Shaolin. But the encyclopedia is also the only reference I know for these.

From the introduction it appears the spear was a whole set, but Linglongquan was just loose techniques. Because it says, in the Linglongquan intro, he taught them the skills he was good at, particularly his Changquan and Linglongquan skills. But then it was Abbot Fuju who arranged the techniques into a 33 posture set named Shaolin Linglongquan.

LFJ
01-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Another version, some say the most accurate version, is part of Wudang Mt. Hong Quan.Really ? Wudang Hong Quan is from the greater Xuzhou area in the central plains. such as Feng county and Peixian county - it is likely younger than Liuhe Quan, Yanqing Quan and Shanxi Hong Quan which have same named forms.

"Most accurate" doesn't necessarily mean "the original"...

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-14-2012, 02:31 AM
Yes, the encyclopedia shows both. The history bit tells the same story. They were both part of the material ZKY exchanged with Shaolin. But the encyclopedia is also the only reference I know for these.

From the introduction it appears the spear was a whole set, but Linglongquan was just loose techniques. Because it says, in the Linglongquan intro, he taught them the skills he was good at, particularly his Changquan and Linglongquan skills. But then it was Abbot Fuju who arranged the techniques into a 33 posture set named Shaolin Linglongquan.

Is there anyway I could get you to scan all the pages related to these sets and e-mail them to me?

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-14-2012, 02:34 AM
Also, what else is in the Shaolin Encyclopedia that is related to Zhao Kuang Yin?

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-14-2012, 02:54 AM

Interesting. So were these sets absorbed from ZKY's material and preserved here? Were they developed out of his techniques only? or are they unrelated all together?

LFJ
01-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Is there anyway I could get you to scan all the pages related to these sets and e-mail them to me?

Well, I have an electronic version with each page in an odd PDG format which uses the BooX Viewer program to display the pages as a book.

I don't know if there's a way to convert the files to PDF or something, but if you download that program I can send the individual page files.

Also, what else is in the Shaolin Encyclopedia that is related to Zhao Kuang Yin?

I'll have to have a deeper look, but as I remember there was Linglongquan, Shisan Mingqiang, and Liangjiegun (two-section stick).

That weapon is unique. It says Zhao's Panlonggun (coiling dragon stick) was broken in half in combat. So he asked someone to attach the two equal length pieces with a few rings and make a new weapon. There is a whole set shown with pictures for it.

I imagine it would be kind of awkward though, not quit like a three-section stick.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Well, I have an electronic version with each page in an odd PDG format which uses the BooX Viewer program to display the pages as a book.

I don't know if there's a way to convert the files to PDF or something, but if you download that program I can send the individual page files.

I'll have to have a deeper look, but as I remember there was Linglongquan, Shisan Mingqiang, and Liangjiegun (two-section stick).

That weapon is unique. It says Zhao's Panlonggun (coiling dragon stick) was broken in half in combat. So he asked someone to attach the two equal length pieces with a few rings and make a new weapon. There is a whole set shown with pictures for it.

I imagine it would be kind of awkward though, not quit like a three-section stick.

I have no problem downloading the reader. Where can I find it?
If you would be so kind, send the files to royaldragonusa@yahoo.com.

Does the Shaolin Encyclopedia mention Lao Hong Quan or Yuan Houquan at all?

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-14-2012, 09:06 PM

The story I always heard was that the lengths were unequal when he broke the end off of it.

This weapon (not the set though)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79yDn7kimVM

ShaolinDiva
01-15-2012, 12:26 PM

Hi,

I'm interested in this so called Shaolin encyclopedia that is referenced . Can you please tell me more about it? Is it the same as the Shaolin books that were donated to US Congress by the abbot ?

Thanks!

GeneChing
01-16-2012, 11:26 AM
The 'Shaolin Encyclopedia' is our nickname for Shaolinsi Wushu Baike Quanshu (少林寺武術百科全書) by Shi Deqian. See my article The Shaolin Scribe: Shi Deqian and the Shaolin Encyclopedia (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=782) from our Shaolin Special 2007 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=687).

ShaolinDiva
01-16-2012, 11:30 AM
The 'Shaolin Encyclopedia' is our nickname for Shaolinsi Wushu Baike Quanshu (少林寺武術百科全書) by Shi Deqian. See my article The Shaolin Scribe: Shi Deqian and the Shaolin Encyclopedia (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=782) from our Shaolin Special 2007 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=687).

thank you so much Gene! I'm reading it now. I need to buy your book .

GeneChing
01-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Shaolin Trips (http://www.amazon.com/Shaolin-Trips-Gene-Ching/dp/1424308976/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276188031&sr=1-1)

LFJ
01-17-2012, 11:25 AM
The story I always heard was that the lengths were unequal when he broke the end off of it.

This weapon (not the set though)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79yDn7kimVM

That must have been a misunderstanding by certain people.

That weapon in Chinese is usually called a shaozigun (flail staff). The weapon made by Zhao Kuangyin is called liangjiegun (two-section staff). Here is a picture of the weapon from the Encyclopedia. It's two equal halves, as if it had been broken right down the middle during an overhead block or something.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/LeFuJun/liangjiegun.png

LFJ
01-17-2012, 11:27 AM
I have no problem downloading the reader. Where can I find it?
If you would be so kind, send the files to royaldragonusa@yahoo.com.

Does the Shaolin Encyclopedia mention Lao Hong Quan or Yuan Houquan at all?

Nope, neither the 4 volume set nor the newer 2 volume set show either of these. Wish they did. Would love to see what they have to say about their history!

I'll send the pages to you...

Edit: If you google search Boox Viewer there are several Chinese websites where you can download it, if you haven't already.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-17-2012, 05:20 PM
In return for your kindness, I sent you what i have on Yuan Hou Quan and Lao Hong Quan. I don't read Chinese, but I am sure it just showes how to work out the set.

There is also a two man set based on general Qi Jiguangs postures.

RenDaHai
01-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Just to add PanLongGun is a common staff form in the village shaolin styles along with MeiQi (sometimes Qimei) gun.

I don't know if the form PanLongGun is a ZKY form or is simply refrencing the name. It is a name used in forms all over China.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-17-2012, 06:15 PM

What does LingLongquan translate into? Am I correct in thinking it is Exquisite Dragon Boxing?

To comment more, if LinLongQuan was only taught as loose techniques, then it stands to reason that Lao Hong Quan was probably loose techniques too. The form was created by the monks then.

Xian
01-18-2012, 10:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BF0kSBN4Lg&feature=channel_video_title

I guess its a better presentation of the style :)

Kind regards,
Xian

LFJ
01-18-2012, 10:59 AM
What does LingLongquan translate into? Am I correct in thinking it is Exquisite Dragon Boxing?

To comment more, if LinLongQuan was only taught as loose techniques, then it stands to reason that Lao Hong Quan was probably loose techniques too. The form was created by the monks then.

Not exactly. The characters have a different radical on the side, so it's not 'dragon'. 玲珑

Here's what they mean together: Linglong 玲珑 (http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=worddict&wdrst=0&wdqb=linglong)

The encyclopedia says it was Abbot Fuju who arranged Zhao's Linglongquan into a set called Linglongquan. So... I assume that means Zhao's "Linglongquan" was not the name of a set, but just a group of loose techniques.

RenDaHai
01-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Hey Team,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BF0kSBN4Lg

This is close to the GuanDongQUan of RuanCunPai that I mentioned above. NanYuan.

Very different to the Xiyuan version done by Wushu Guan Above.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Hey Team,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BF0kSBN4Lg

This is close to the GuanDongQUan of RuanCunPai that I mentioned above. NanYuan.

Very different to the Xiyuan version done by Wushu Guan Above.

Now THAT was interesting!!! Do you know anything about this set? I see some similarities with Da Hong Quan, and a couple other things that remind me of Lao Hong Quan (tripple punch). This is the closest thing I have seen to date, to a stylist fit with the rest of the ZKY stuff.

Royal Dragon
06-19-2012, 10:26 PM
FOUND THEM!!!!! (Well, Sal did anyway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFtR_0Sg9Dc&feature=relmfu

LFJ
07-08-2013, 02:25 AM
Here is the Guandongquan from the Ruan village Shaolin Nanyuan sect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQXItlNmqA

Tea Serpent
07-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Hello!
There is a persistent rummer that the Guan Dong quan, and GuanXi Quan of Zhao Kuang yin (along with a 36 posture set, and a 366 one) are preserved in the Taoist lines at Wudang. I am looking for those 4 sets.

In the Wudang Hong Quan system which isn't practiced in Wudang and likely wasn't from Wudang the Guan Xi Jia corresponds to the 366 hands sets and the Guan Dong Jia corresponds to the 36 roads set.

Tea Serpent
07-14-2013, 08:01 PM

Honestly no one knows how old the style is.
However it was not made up by Zhang Dongshu and his Father. Wudang Da Hong Quan is only one 4 very closely related branches of Da Hong Quan practiced in the Peixian area. Each one of those branches comes from a totally different source, yet all of them have similar versions of the same core forms.

Sal Canzonieri
07-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Here's all the video on Youtube I could find of the Quanxi Jia and Quandong Jia sets (most posted by our friends here):

Quanxi Jia

- Wudang Da Hong Quan version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQF6rR5r38U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFtR_0Sg9Dc

- San Huang Bang version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRzj5zwssk0

Guandong Jia

- San Huang Bang version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emG-07kYqCg

Shaolin version:
(Shaolin Nanyuan)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQXItlNmqA

Related sets

Six Step Frame (Liubu Jia)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLnGFI8lTtw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvFvl0HzlpE

San Huang Bang version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kJ8unUIlgM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfOS9JLz_EQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNGPHrvY5Oo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-sQ7T5a9pI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R4mAhyMnYY

Wudang Da Hong Quan version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qTvknlFeoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f5rFcABOyo

Zhao Hong Quan / Er Hong Quan / Shan Huang Bang versions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iPTBPPGL7A

Taiping Jia

Wudang Da Hong Quan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAhQFXaNFso

Lao Hong Quan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXVwsJfi5gY

(same set in 3D)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb4EKX1eMgA

Taizu Hong Quan ( From the Xuzhou (Suchow) area of Jiangsu province. This folk martial art style is popularly practiced in Southern Shandong, Northern Anhui and Jiangsu provinces.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NBtBqw8jPY

Royal Dragon
08-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Boy, have we ever come a long way!! I remember when these forms were just rummurs and we were not sure they even existed!!

Royal Dragon
08-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Honestly no one knows how old the style is.
However it was not made up by Zhang Dongshu and his Father. Wudang Da Hong Quan is only one 4 very closely related branches of Da Hong Quan practiced in the Peixian area. Each one of those branches comes from a totally different source, yet all of them have similar versions of the same core forms.

Well, it seems these arts are preserving the fighting methods and over all body of techniques that we know come from the Song army. Which is the same stuff from the Tang dynasty for the most part.

So the form choreography, whenever that was done, is basically a box of fighting that goes back to the Tang Dynasty at least.

This is really, really old, primordial stuff we are looking at...yet it is surprisingly advanced. That means the over all body of techniques, footwork and body methods has to be way older than Tang, for sure. This stuff was not new then either...or it would be way cruder looking.

It appears all over the central "Yellow River Valley" area predominantly; but it's found as far south as Indonesia too. It is taught under a large variety of names, and just as large a variety of curriculums contained in an uncountable number of forms.

My persuite of all things stemming from Zhao Kuang yin made me see that his material was just the tip of the iceburg. It was just his favorite stuff preserved in some forms to document what he liked.

In reality, there was a massive, massive sea of this art being practiced in every imaginable fashion.

Each school of it has a different wrapper, and curriculum for teaching it, but inside the box, it's all the same skill sets.

My best guess, is that military Generals, who survived a lifetime of battles and finally retired from service, went home and taught for a living. When forms became from common, each choreographed his own sets. So you had all these schools popping up back then, that "Appear" unique on the outside, but inside they are not.

Sal Canzonieri
08-08-2013, 02:09 PM
then it happened again when the troops of the southern song (Yue Fei's soldiers) came home and they spread their own martial arts.

That's the next major dividing line. Moving out of Hong Quan into something called Xing Quan, "shapes boxing".

Royal Dragon
08-08-2013, 04:17 PM
then it happened again when the troops of the southern song (Yue Fei's soldiers) came home and they spread their own martial arts.

That's the next major dividing line. Moving out of Hong Quan into something called Xing Quan, "shapes boxing".

Very true!