PDA

View Full Version : Differences in PM styles

sanjuro_ronin
09-01-2011, 06:05 AM
I asked this question on the Mantis video thread and Richard suggested I post it on the main Mantis forum:

What is the difference, if any, between Tai Mantis and Taiji Mantis.
And why were are at it, between the different Mantis systems and lineages?

Thanks

ShaolinDan
09-01-2011, 08:06 AM
If my memory's not too scrambled, then I'm pretty sure my Sigong was saying not too long ago (talking about how various styles came to the Western world) that there are actually two different styles called Taiji Mantis.

TaichiMantis
09-01-2011, 08:51 AM
from the archives...
http://kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5842
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19037

YouKnowWho
09-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Some mantis like to use 7* stance while others like to use monkey stance.

mooyingmantis
09-01-2011, 01:40 PM
What is the difference, if any, between Tai Mantis and Taiji Mantis...

Tai Mantis is an organization of Mantis instructors. The proper name of the organization is the Tai Mantis Kung Fu Association. Notable instructors are Paul Eng, Kam Yuen, Don Newton, Rob Moses and Manuel Marquez. Please forgive me if I left anyone out. :o

Taiji Mantis is an actual style of mantis that was founded by Sun Yuan Chang, student of Liang Xuexiang. It has since divided into different lines/families.

And why were are at it, between the different Mantis systems and lineages?
Thanks

Huge question bro! LOL!

All the families that descended from Liang Xuexiang (Meihua, Taiji and Taiji Meihua TLQ) are very similar. Each would recognize the forms of the other that they hold in common.

Mainland Qixing TLQ has a very similar "feel" as the Greater Meihua Lines mentioned above, but the forms are a bit different.

HK Qixing TLQ is a whole 'nother animal. :) It uses smaller circles and most would say is a bit more direct. The forms play very differently than some Mainland styles.

Please realize the above are generalizations, but I have no desire to write a thesis on the subject. LOL!

sanjuro_ronin
09-02-2011, 05:54 AM
Tai Mantis is an organization of Mantis instructors. The proper name of the organization is the Tai Mantis Kung Fu Association. Notable instructors are Paul Eng, Kam Yuen, Don Newton, Rob Moses and Manuel Marquez. Please forgive me if I left anyone out. :o

Taiji Mantis is an actual style of mantis that was founded by Sun Yuan Chang, student of Liang Xuexiang. It has since divided into different lines/families.

Huge question bro! LOL!

All the families that descended from Liang Xuexiang (Meihua, Taiji and Taiji Meihua TLQ) are very similar. Each would recognize the forms of the other that they hold in common.

Mainland Qixing TLQ has a very similar "feel" as the Greater Meihua Lines mentioned above, but the forms are a bit different.

HK Qixing TLQ is a whole 'nother animal. :) It uses smaller circles and most would say is a bit more direct. The forms play very differently than some Mainland styles.

Please realize the above are generalizations, but I have no desire to write a thesis on the subject. LOL!

That makes sense.
Like most MA, they come from a common core system and over the different years, different masters had their way of doing things which became their styles passed on to their students.
Thanks.