PDA

View Full Version : I want faster kick

jackiech
05-03-2001, 06:05 PM
please...Would you tell me how I get faster kick.
I want also know that how long you practise per day

Fu-Pow
05-03-2001, 07:21 PM
try doing hopping excercises...crouch down on and jump up and down on your toes but do not stand all the way up when you jump..just enough to get some air....this a plyometric excercise that will allow you to recruit more muscle fiber at one time....

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/logo.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

jackiech
05-05-2001, 02:21 PM
Thanks very much.
Your suggestion was very nice.

peehoo
05-17-2001, 11:14 PM
relax

do without doing

SevenStar
05-18-2001, 07:44 PM
Stretching plays an integral role in making kicks faster. If stretching is not a serious part of your program, you may want to consider adding a stretching regimen.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A fool speaks because he has to say something."

mad taoist
05-19-2001, 07:59 AM
I agree with Fu-Pow, do squat / hopping type excercises. Also practise kicking as relaxed as you can (i know im repeating what's already been said...). My old hung gar / hong jia si-hing's feet are faster than his hands, and that's his advice. He also said that horse sances *may* slow you down.

'If we do not go within, we go without'.

Kymus
05-20-2001, 05:22 PM
Wear heavy boots and train your kicks all the time with them on. and try ankle weights too. Just practice hard and speed will come.

-Kymus

~Crosstraining is the key~
-Sifu Rick Tucci
www.pamausa.com (http://www.pamausa.com)

Robinf
05-20-2001, 06:26 PM
Ankle weights work for me.

Also, being held back by bungee cords while kicking/advancing works.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

SevenStar
05-22-2001, 04:26 AM
"Wear heavy boots and train your kicks all the time with them on. and try ankle weights too. Just practice hard and speed will come."

If you do that practice SLOWLY. rapid kicks while wearing weighted boots or ankle weights are damaging to your knees.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A fool speaks because he has to say something."

IronFist
05-22-2001, 06:18 AM
um, kicking with ankle weights is bad :)

Papieboni
05-22-2001, 06:10 PM
I think a combination of the above is best!, stretching, leg exercises, stance training and leg weights as long as you are not snapping the legs with them on.

In my opinion good kicks are those that have flexibility, power and speed.

You have to have good strong legs for this.

Horse stance training,deep knee bends and the sort are good for leg strengh. doing kicks over and over again is good too and builds speed.

in your personal workout start out by choosing the basic 8 kicks in your system and do them all 1o times each/each leg, and then increase to 15, 20 and so on.

Start holding your stances longer and moving around in your stances lower each time.

Do your sets in lower stances, slower.

" Moss Never Grows on a Rolling Stone"

shaolinboxer
05-29-2001, 09:54 PM
For speed kicking, check out www.taekwon.net (http://www.taekwon.net)

How to make a kick faster
Mr. Seok's training know-how Make up of Kicks -Seok Boo Kil(2001/05/30)
Many Taekwondo trainees wonder how they can make their kicks faster. In the previous writing, I have talked why the speed is important. To say it again, dynamically a fast-moving object delivers bigger momentum (mass x speed), giving greater impact on the target it runs into.

First of all, let me tall you how a kick works. Kicks are not for you to lift your knee. Actually, a kick starts from your thinking of kicking.

You see a target and start to think of kicking it before you throw your kick, and then you kick. All these procedures should be made faster to make your kicking faster.

Reaction Time is the duration that it takes from deciding to kick and to throwing a kick, while movement time is the duration you perform kicking.

How to make kicking faster?

Kicking is divided into two parts: pre-movement time and movement time. Of course, you can add foreperiod that means 'duration it takes to think of kicking when you get struck by a signal.'

That is, you should cut the time for these procedures for faster kicks. As I mentioned before, professional Taekwondo athletes take 0.48 sec for reaction time, which is 63% of all time a kick takes.

Since reaction time is longer than movement time, it is important to cut the reaction time. I will talk later below, but it is biologically limited to cut the reaction time.

To cut the reaction time, first, you need a proper degree of consciousness. (By consciousness I mean energy level of a kicker or performing potential.)

Second, you should lessen the number of stimuli or reactions. For example, reaction time for counterattacking varies depending how many attacking techniques your opponent can use. That is, if the opponent has only one attacking technique to use, it won't be that hard to defend or counterattack.

Third, you should predict stimuli. For example, if the opponent has only one technique to take, it won't be difficult at all to predict how he/she would try to attack you.

Besides, even if he/she has three kinds of techniques, you can predict his attack in different ways depending which technique he/she prefers.

If he/she takes one technique out of three most often, it will be easy to predict, but if he/she takes three techniques equally, it will be harder to predict in a right way.

Fourth, it requires a lot of practice, which is the most effective way to reduce reaction time. Of course, it is limited to reduce reaction time as I said above, but it sure is effective.

Practice

If you keep practicing, you can get over difficulties of getting yourself ready. Also, since you can make specific kicks like a habit, your kicking can be faster. Besides, if you practice a lot early, muscles, joints, arms and legs work out in harmony, and get enhanced gradually. This is another way to react faster.

Stand still, and as soon as you hear a clap, you start move (run or kick). Or run in place and start running to the best of your ability. With a light or a hand-signal of your coach, or through practicing sparring with a partner, you predict attacks or reactions of him/her.

These are good for reducing reaction time. If you think to yourself, 'I'll kick faster,' it can reduce the reaction time. Your body is controlled by the nervous system of your brain, your 'thought' will speed up your kicking.

As I said before, Taekwondo athletes take 0.19 sec to get ready for a kick. So it is important to remove get-ready motions such as drawing in your kicking foot or moving your body right before you kick.

Of course, it is another important factor to reduce movement time through persistent practice. People recommend you to kick or jump, crossing your feet for quicker kicks; this is one of ways to cut movement time.

In other words, for quicker kicks, you need to move the center of your weight quickly; you can implement this quickly by reducing reaction time and movement time. One more, you need to lower the weight center in order to keep you stable.

If you keep your knees bent a little bit, it can make your kick faster, too. Take this posture when you get ready, and you can reduce kicking time.

Keep your ham and calf of your front foot at the angle of 135; this reduces performing time, like 0.07 sec.

Finally, strengthen the thigh muscles. These muscles work to lift the leg up. If these muscles work out, it can raise the kicking speed.

bil jong
06-01-2001, 02:06 AM
i'll sum it up for you in a word > PRACTICE!!!

unclaimed effort
06-01-2001, 09:13 PM
practice is important in all aspects of martial arts. squats are good, but mainly relaxation speeds you up. This was found out a long time ago by chinese masters. Try doing some kicks in tai chi speed. the slow speed is used to relax you so that you will be faster when you use the technique in real application. this also helps your balance and helps you remember position and technique. Practice practice practice! also Practice.

If two tigers fight, the result will be one injured tiger.

Stillness in stillness is not real stillness. Stillness in motion is real stillness.

shaolinboxer
06-02-2001, 01:33 AM
It is true that the only way to approach perfecting your technique is relentless practice.

However that is not enough. You cannot practice without being mindful. If you have physically intense but unfocused practices, you build your athletic capacity but do not get the most out of the technique.

baldmantiz
06-05-2001, 10:22 PM
kicking repeatedly will speed up your kicks...thousands of kicks might be needed. depending on how fast you want it.

To know others is to have knowledge. To know oneself is to be enlightened.

baldmantiz
06-05-2001, 10:25 PM
kicking repeatedly will speed up your kicks...thousands of kicks might be needed. depending on how fast you want them.

http://www.kungfuusa.net

To know others is to have knowledge. To know oneself is to be enlightened.

ElPietro
06-07-2001, 05:28 PM
Some good posts here and some that I don't agree with. Of course thinking is a good thing but it won't make much difference in an actual confrontation. If you have to think/predict what forms of attacks your opponent will make in the heat of a fight you won't be quick enough. Practice is the best course because you are training your muscles to these forms to the point that you can do them without thinking, ie. instinctual. Then when someone comes at you you will already be countering the attack before you've had a chance to think about it. This works mostly on simpler movements. It is difficult to train a series of complex moves into instinctual, reactionary motor skills. That's why they tell you to train your blocks for 1000s of repetitions. I use ankle and wrist weights but not usually at full speed as this can damage your joints. Also, standing in a swimming pool and practicing is also a good way to improve speed and form.

I think all of this is just common sense. If you honestly want me to believe that in the less than half a second it takes for a strike to come in, you are going to formulate your stance, block, and counter attacks then it'll take a lot more explanation to convince me. I respect all forms of martial arts but usually when it's a life or death situation you resort to all the basics that you've trained thousands of times because you know those are the ones that you can depend on. The rest is for show, your own personal enlightenment, and pure enjoyment of the art.

Bak Mei
06-10-2001, 08:08 PM
You want a faster kick? Kick lower!

Stillness in the heart of motion.

BAI HE
06-10-2001, 10:58 PM
Practice your kicks in waist deep in a pool or the Ocean. The resistance of the water will cause more of the muscle fibers in your legs to fire.
It will help strengthen the "Twitch" muscle fibers which are the ones that govern speed in execution.
It's also a great workout and it's stress free on the joints!