PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Staff - history?

soulfist
09-01-2011, 01:04 PM
The 6.5 Staff is one of the "5 famous southern staffs", and found in Wing Chun, Choi Lei Fut, Bak Mei, etc. Ive seen versions from those three schools anyway and the form seems to be completely different, but the same concept and 6.5 strikes.

Does anyone know the history behind this form?

Yum Cha
09-01-2011, 04:20 PM
The 6.5 Staff is one of the "5 famous southern staffs", and found in Wing Chun, Choi Lei Fut, Bak Mei, etc. Ive seen versions from those three schools anyway and the form seems to be completely different, but the same concept and 6.5 strikes.

Does anyone know the history behind this form?

Luk Dim Boon Jo Sai Gwan? Is that the one you mean (sorry for the butchered canto).

Half past 6, left handed fishing pole?

I think the form is all about the half, not the 6, in my humble opinion....

My understanding is that it was a form used by guards within a building, where several with these long staffs could guard a doorway or hallway from advancing swordsmen, being that they could bring 6 staffs to attack one or two swordsmen trying to pass a bottleneck.

I know how much Si Gung paid to learn it....now you got me worried, he might have gotten ripped off....??:D:D

David Jamieson
09-02-2011, 05:40 AM
I always thought it looked like a spear set changed into a pole set.

Hendrik
09-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Luk Dim Boon Jo Sai Gwan? Is that the one you mean (sorry for the butchered canto).

Half past 6, left handed fishing pole?

I think the form is all about the half, not the 6, in my humble opinion....

My understanding is that it was a form used by guards within a building, where several with these long staffs could guard a doorway or hallway from advancing swordsmen, being that they could bring 6 staffs to attack one or two swordsmen trying to pass a bottleneck.

I know how much Si Gung paid to learn it....now you got me worried, he might have gotten ripped off....??:D:D

What I heard the many men with boat pole against one sword man stratergy started since 1500's; the Chinese use this against the Japanese pirate with the samurai sword. and they win. so it was passed down.

the some southern fist is also with this many men fighting one men strategy.

CFT
09-02-2011, 08:10 AM
What I heard the many men with boat pole against one sword man stratergy started since 1500's; the Chinese use this against the Japanese pirate with the samurai sword. and they win. so it was passed down.They're known as the Wokou: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wokou

Hendrik
09-02-2011, 09:41 AM
They're known as the Wokou: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wokou

http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/14925434-1245555403.html

starting 13.00

For me, one needs to follow what could be traced in the history instead of all those shao lin myth which lead to no where but movies.

same with the Wing Chun kuen technology, we know, by identifying the technology core, it is white crane of fujian and Emei snake engine fusion. happen around 1750.

This is the emei snake engine developed about 700 years ago, clearly could be traced.
http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=897899701

so, if we cannot identify the root of the art, we could be mislead by some stories which at the end screw up our training. for example, with the above video clip, we know what 6.5 pole sets is for, so there is no fantasy or off mark expectation from Shao lin. we know clearly what the end result we could expect, and how to train them and even improve them.

however, if the story is going north to shao lin temple and then travel around china with all kind of supernature.. like what you can see in the shaws brother movie. it is going to make one confuse and non conclusive and always doesnt know what it is. and so, how is one going to train?

Also, where in the history of china can find a thing such as WCK is for training the anti Qing army in the fastest way from Shao Lin ....etc. those cant be found in the history of China. However, General Qi Gi Kuan train his people to agaisnt the pirate is real. also, the anti Qing people are White Crane from fujian via Gen Chen Cheng-Kung, those can be found in the history of china .

I always brought up the emei evidence because without the understanding of that the Siu Lin Tau set and all the three sets will not work well. it is like if it is BM, one better knows how to breath the BM way and has BM frame. it is not up for creative imagination. IMO, martial art doesnt have room for those type of creative imagination. one needs a based or the art will evolve differently.

Lee Chiang Po
09-02-2011, 10:51 AM
I suppose that lots of guys carried and used the staff since it was not really a weapon as such and it was extremely effective against short, edged weapons and such, but the Wing Chun pole was simply a device to push a junk along in shallow waters. Since it was always there, several of them I would imagine, they could also do a very good job of preventing river pirates and such from boarding them. Even the footwork of the forms shows that. So it probably is something left of the Red Boat Wing Chun bunch. Typically a tool being also used as weapon of defense.

Hendrik
09-02-2011, 11:54 AM
I suppose that lots of guys carried and used the staff since it was not really a weapon as such and it was extremely effective against short, edged weapons and such, but the Wing Chun pole was simply a device to push a junk along in shallow waters. Since it was always there, several of them I would imagine, they could also do a very good job of preventing river pirates and such from boarding them. Even the footwork of the forms shows that. So it probably is something left of the Red Boat Wing Chun bunch. Typically a tool being also used as weapon of defense.

yes, you are right. if you watch the clip above, those pole are just device for pushing a junk.

diego
09-02-2011, 01:31 PM
In Bak Mei you learn the basic ging with Jik Bo set then how to use BM ging with standard southern footwork with Sub Jee set then you learn the first staff set which brings stability from the full power movements of the staff strikes to your Sub Jee footwork. I wonder if some used the long staff like a weight lifting routine using proggressive intensity from different staff sizes to progressivly overload your core and legs. Thats how it seems to work in Bak Mei anyway. lol

Yum Cha
09-04-2011, 05:33 PM
In Bak Mei you learn the basic ging with Jik Bo set then how to use BM ging with standard southern footwork with Sub Jee set then you learn the first staff set which brings stability from the full power movements of the staff strikes to your Sub Jee footwork. I wonder if some used the long staff like a weight lifting routine using proggressive intensity from different staff sizes to progressivly overload your core and legs. Thats how it seems to work in Bak Mei anyway. lol

That's exactly the go, Diego. The issue with the long pole, maybe 35-40mm in diameter is the leverage and the need to have solid rooting to transfer the energy. In this form, the energy is concentrated on the tip of the staff, and capturing the stability from the ground and transferring it to the end is the essence of the exercise. IMHO.

Of course, any Pirates on my street are in form some serious grief....

ngokfei
09-07-2011, 06:20 PM
All the Above.

Definetly a synthesis of each in its development of continued development to what we see today in the versions of the popular styles.

YHou'll still find the primative versions out there but as expected they are slowly either being lost of simply enhanced/combined with other pole/staff routines.