PDA

View Full Version : Dip Gwut Gung-Southern Praying mantis training aid?

LaterthanNever
09-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Hi,

Since I'm typings this from memory..I'm probably getting the name of the piece of equipment wrong.

In the movie "Invincible Shaolin"...Lo Meng(aka. The Toad from the 5 deadly venoms) practices..what seems to be Southern Praying mantis and uses a training aid..with the name "Gwut" in it.

I'm not sure if it is the same as "Dip Gwut Gung" that I found on google. The piece of training equipment in the movie looks like a rotating one piece wheel with two arms projecting equidistant from the center. Each arm has a..it looks like a wooden or steel circular projection on the end. So basically the practitioner strikes one end and it turns in a circle and the other end rotates around and one must be careful to intercept the other "arm" that swings around so as to not get hit in either the torso or chest. I have two questions:

1.) I realize this is a movie and movies are entertainment. Yet not all aspects of CMA are fictional as evidenced by the fact that there is a WC practitioner in the movie who uses a wooden dummy. So..is this piece of equiptment real?

2.) If this is an actual training aid..is it still used in Southern Praying mantis kung fu?

Thank you,
LTN

TenTigers
09-02-2011, 09:38 AM
sounds more like the grinder dummy that Hark Fu Mun uses.

sanjuro_ronin
09-02-2011, 09:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFySwF7VSC8

The training sequnces from that movie, dummy at the 3 min mark...

It's Chow gar Mantis by the way.

sanjuro_ronin
09-02-2011, 09:47 AM
My SPM teacher has 3 dummies.
One is a WC dummy
One is a dummy with two legs and 3 arms and the arms end in "fists"
One is a dummy with a "tension" arm and leg.

LaterthanNever
09-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Sanju Ronin,

Yep!! That's the training aid/dummy! Thank you..

Do you ever use that in your SPM training? Or is it used by any of the lineages of SPM?

Thanks,
LTN