PDA

View Full Version : Training while sick.

Anarcho
05-03-2001, 05:39 AM
I've got a bit of a cold at the moment, and I'm not sure whether I should train tomorrow. I'm not deathly sick, just feel a bit spacey and have a sore throat/head, etc.

Any thoughts on this? I think I might be okay to train in the short term, but my girlfriend thinks it might slow down my recovery and keep me from doing other things for a bit (I have some serious essays to write, too, which I need a clear head for). Anyway, what do you guys think?

Emil
05-03-2001, 04:43 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I hate to miss a class but you must also consider your training brothers/sister since you will expose them to your
illness. Stay home & get healthy. Your body & your classmates will appreciate it.

dunbarj01
05-06-2001, 03:40 AM
This is not really relevant but I remember once being in a similar situation. I had gastroenteritis and I was determined to at least get to the kwoon to watch the session. I managed to stagger out of bed only to collapse when I went to get my car keys. :)

SevenStar
05-06-2001, 08:20 AM
As a general rule of thumb, if your symptoms are neck area or above (runny nose, sore throat, etc.) It's okay to train. You may wanna miss class and train at home though, so as not to make anyone else sick. If your symptoms are below the neck, take it easy and lay off the training for the day.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A fool speaks because he has to say something."

shinji
05-08-2001, 07:48 AM
Well if you are feeling tired and run down bc of the cold I would stay away.

It sucks to miss class but then it sucks more to pass out after 2 hours of training hard bc you are sick. That almost happened to me once. I ended up having to sit out the end of my weapons class.

Every time I test myself when getting over a cold--I always find that I went to class too soon--and I sometimes end up back in bed. So I say better to be safe than sorry. I say you should go back on the 2nd day you feel better.

Anarcho
05-08-2001, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the advice (and anecdote), guys...I ended up not going on that day. I went recently, thinking I was better, but my sinuses started killing me and I got dizzy half way through the warm up, so I had to sit down for a bit. I felt like an idiot...Oh well. Hopefully I'll be okay from here on in.

doug maverick
05-12-2001, 03:14 AM
when i get sick(witch hasent been in 5 years) i train and sweet the cold out. but if you get sick you need to train harder, tai chi and chi kung can help alot to fight against cold it works faster then chicken soup,

joedoe
05-13-2001, 04:01 AM
Mys ifu told me that if you train hard at the start of illness coming on, then it will fight off the illness. Once the illness has set in though, you should rest.

This works very well with colds and flu.

-------------------------------------
You have no chance to survive - make your time.

peehoo
05-19-2001, 11:56 PM
Training with a cold should be at a rate that makes you sweat alittle. If you train hard you actually lower your defences,(body repairs muscle tissue sorts bruising etc, doesn t fight the cold) I trained with a cold 2/3 weeks ago i made sure i took on lots of water before during n after, I then rapped up warm on the way home. The cold went a couple of days later

do without doing

joedoe
05-20-2001, 02:02 AM
Works for me - obviously you have to be reasonable, and when I said train hard I mean you train until you have worked up a good sweat.

-------------------------------------
You have no chance to survive - make your time.