PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Ironfist

Lung Hu Pai
05-03-2001, 05:08 AM
Hi, I read through the thread on dynamic tension and would like to supplement my kung fu with weight training. i have learned much from the other threads on this forum but there is much that I still don't know. I was wondering if you could prescribe a beginner's weight training program for me. I would mainly like to build strength and a little size. I am 5'8 and a 140 pounds. I have access to a pull-up bar, push-up bars, free weights, and in a few weeks, hopefully, a bench. I would greatly appreciate any information that you can provide. Thanks, Azar

IronFist
05-03-2001, 10:00 AM
Lung, I can help you :)

Just tell me first, how old are you?

I'll reply tomorrow. Right now it's late and I need to sleep.

Also, keep in mind that I can design a workout for you, but you need to get a good book or competent trainer to demonstrate form and technique to you.

If you have $25 to spare, I strongly suggets you purchase the paperback version of "The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding" by Arnold. It's the big black book with Arnold's biceps on the front. While it does cover just about EVERY aspect of BB, and the training schedules in this book will kill you if you're not on the juice, I'm recommending it because it provides excellent photos, illustrations and instructions for proper form in just about any weight exercise you could think of. Check amazon or ebay or something, or just go to borders and check it out there.

Oh yeah, and when you respond with your age, also include your average diet, ok? Thanks.

Iron

Lung Hu Pai
05-03-2001, 09:49 PM
I am twenty years old. On an average day, I usually eat pancakes, oatmeal or a 3-egg omellete for breakfast. For lunch, I usually take a tuna fish or pb & J sandwich or rice with beans and a piece of fruit with me to work. For dinner, it's usually a meat dish, anything from hamburgers to chicken stir fry to steak with potatoes and some vegetables on the side for each meal usually. Sometimes, I like to splurge and have some candy or pie for dessert, too. I usually don't have any snacks during the day. I checked out the book at Amazon.com and they have it. I'll place an order for it soon. I appreciate any guidance that you can provide. Thanks again, Azar

Lung Hu Pai
05-03-2001, 09:49 PM
I am twenty years old. On an average day, I usually eat pancakes, oatmeal or a 3-egg omellete for breakfast. For lunch, I usually take a tuna fish or pb & J sandwich or rice with beans and a piece of fruit with me to work. For dinner, it's usually a meat dish, anything from hamburgers to chicken stir fry to steak with potatoes and some vegetables on the side for each meal usually. Sometimes, I like to splurge and have some candy or pie for dessert, too. I usually don't have any snacks during the day. I checked out the book at Amazon.com and they have it. I'll place an order for it soon. I appreciate any guidance that you can provide. Thanks again, Azar

IronFist
05-06-2001, 07:59 AM
Lung Hu Pai,

Hi, sorry it took me so long to post this, but I've been especially busy recently (it's finals week...).

Ok, since the Arnold book is 800 page long, with each exercise I'll put the page refrence number to make it easier for you to find it. Remember, don't attempt ANY exercise with heavy weights until you have the form down perfectly.

The weight routine I give you will be good for your since you are a beginner. It will be a good balance between adding size and adding strength, but of course, not too much size since you are an MA(more on this later). If you want to pack on the size, however, just let me know.

This routine will involve weight training on 3 days of the week. One day will be Chest/Tri/shoulders, one will be Back/biceps/forearms/ and one will be legs. There is a reason that the muscles are grouped like this. When doing chest movements, the triceps are usually involved, so after one finishes training chest, the triceps have already been worked out a little bit, so why not finish them off afterwards? Same with the front and side heads of the shoulder. The rear shoulder head comes on back day. With the back, any back movement you do will work the biceps a bit, so since they've already been used a little, you might as well finish them off on the same day (workout). And with legs, you just do your whole leg on the same day because a leg workout will tire you out so much that you won't feel like doing anything else afterward :)

Always leave at least one day of rest inbetween each workout with weights. Ideally, your three days would be like Monday on, rest on Tuesday, Wednesday on, rest on Thursday, Friday on, rest on Saturday and Sunday. Never exercise a muscle is it is still sore, even a little bit, from a previous workout. If the muscle does not heal ENTIRELY from its previous workout, then you are doing more harm than good by training it again.

Always stretch before working out, and ideally stretch inbetween sets. I don't think I've left anything out, so now for the exercises. Oh yeah, on any given day, always go from bigger muscles to smaller muscles. That's why it's "chest/tri/shoulder" and not "tri/chest/shoulder"

For beginner purposes, just do 3 sets of each exercise. The first set should be pretty much a warmup set, with 10 reps to finish. The second set should be 8 reps, with a heavier weight, so that you can just barely finish on your own. The third set should be 6-8 reps with even more weight, so that you can just get 6 on your own (and maybe 7 and 8 with a spotter). Always use a spotter if you can.

(rest of post continued in the next post because I don't want it to be too long)

IronFist
05-06-2001, 09:02 AM
(if you're just reading this now, read the previous post first for background info)

Chest/Tricep/Shoulder Day

Chest-

Flat Bench Press (p324) - This works primarily your chest, with secondary emphasis on the triceps and anterior (front) shoulder. ALWAYS use a grip with your thumb wrapped around the bar (ie. NOT like he's using on page 326... if the bar started to roll forward, what would stop it from falling on your chest?).

For your purposes, flat bench should be adequate for chest development. However, as you gain experience, you can increase it to up to 6 sets total.

Triceps-

Dips (p466) - if you have access to a dip station, try these and see how you like them. A lot of people get huge gains from doing dips, while other don't seem to get any response. Make sure you keep your body upright, as leaning too far forward will use mostly your chest and not your triceps. A good goal would be 3 sets of 15.

You can also do these inbetween two chairs (put the backs facing each other, wide enough for you to stand inbetween, bend your knees, and dip)

-or-

If you don't have or don't like dips, try:

Lying Triceps Extensions (skull crushers) (p457-58). Only do these if you have a curl bar (as pictured), because a straight bar will hurt your wrists since your hands have to be so close together. If you don't have a straight bar, do Lying Dumbell Extensions (p460). You will definately feel these in your triceps :)

Shoulders -

For some people, doing bench press will work the front deltoid adequately. If you feel af burn in your fron deltoid after doing bench, then you may not want a seperate exercise for it. If you do, however, nothing beats:

Arnold Presses (p272) or Dumbell Presses (p275). Pick which on you like better, both are good. 3 sets of 10,8,6-8, as stated earlier.

Side deltoids-

As with every exercise, CHECK YOUR FORM IN A MIRROR.

Standing Lateral Raises (p280) - if done properly, these are an excellent exercise. Again, make sure your form is good.

That's it for Chest/Tricep/Shoulder day. Go home and eat a good protein meal.

Back/Bicep/Forearm Day

Back-

Wide-Grip Chins (palms away from you)(p364) - the supreme king of back exercises. These kick the arse of lat-pulldowns any day. Since you are 140lbs, you should have no problem doing these with your bodyweight. The form given on p366 may be easier for you (chinning to the front), so do whichever you like. A good goal would be 3 sets of 15, or 5 sets of 10. Don't worry if you can't get too many at first. Do as many as you can at a time until you get to 30, then 50.

You may also wish to try Bent over rows (p370)

If you have the equipment, Rows are good too (p376).

Rear Deltoid-

Since it is a pulling muscle (as opposed to pushing), the rear deltoid is worked on back/biceps day.

If you don't have access to any machines,

Standing Bent-Over Dumbell Laterals (p291). Make sure you get the form right again, as if your form isn't right you won't be hitting the rear delt.

Biceps-

If you can do pullups for biceps (with your palms facing you) you will get very strong. Do a few sets of these, and then move on to:

Barbell Curls (p426-28)
-or-
Dumbell Curls (p438)

Hammer Curls (439) also work the forearm a bit.

Forearms-

(Bottom of forearm)
Barbell Wrist curls (p469)
Dumbell One-Arm Wrist Curls (p470)

(top of forearm)
Reverse Wrist Curls with Dumbells (p473)
Reverse Barbell Curl(p474)

Pick one for the bottom and one for the top. 2 sets of 10 should be good. Do a third set if you wish.

Legs

Quadriceps-

Squats (p496-97) - don't use any weight until your form is perfect. Don't go to failure here unless oyu have someone spotting you. There's a reason people do squats in cages, and it's so if they can't get back up they just drop the weight on the safety bars. If you're exercising in your basement and you don't have a cage, be careful.

If you don't have enough weight with you to get heavy try:

Lunges (p507) - these are very good.

Hamstrings-

Alright dude, if you don't have access to the necessary machines, you're going to have to do Leg Curls (p509) with a dumbell inbetween your feet. It still works, don't worry. You can't neglect hamstrings, however. Many runners pull hamstrings because their quads get too strong for their hams (because running doesn't do anything for hamstrings). When one muscle gets too strong for it's opposing muscle group, injury occurs.

Also:

Straight-leg Deadlifts (p511)

Calves -

If you're not at a gym, you're going ot have to find some way to simulat Calf Raises (p527) with a barbell or dumbell. Try holding a heavy dumbell in one hand and doing calf raises on one foot at a time. Use a thick phone book or something for your toes to stand on, so you can go all the way up and all the way down. Brace yourself with your other hand against a wall or something. See the full "up" and "down" calf position on p526.

If you wish, for the soleus muscle of the calf, try seated calf raises (p529) holding a barbell on your knees.

Well, that's it. I hope this whole thing posts. Good luck. Just ask if you have any questions.

Iron

IronFist
05-06-2001, 09:58 AM
I'll post about diet tomorrow.

Iron

Lung Hu Pai
05-10-2001, 03:52 AM
Thanks a lot man, I can't wait to start up on my new routine...