PDA

View Full Version : Central Texas fires

BJJ-Blue
09-06-2011, 06:52 AM
I'm ok, but they are bad. This morning you could smell smoke in the air at my house and my job. The winds really carried it along yesterday and Sunday. We were actually in Huntsville and College Station on Sunday and had to come back a different way. The ones in the Bastrop area are east of me, and the ones in Steiner Ranch are west of me.

I work with two guys from the Bastrop area and neither are here. A friend of ours just bought land out there, and last night it was 5 miles away from there. They were getting ash, but not embers, falling on their property. They were told to leave so now they just have to wait. The good news is they hadn't started building yet.

EDIT: The 2 guys who live near Bastrop are not coming in to work today.

zhugeliang
09-06-2011, 07:43 PM
San Antonio - yesterday there was a brush fire just ten miles north of my house. Apartments there were evacuated for several hours. Today there's a grass fire in Camp Stanley about ten or so miles west of my house and a major warehouse fire east of me.

kristcaldwell
09-06-2011, 07:52 PM
i live in austin, and can attest that there is a general feeling of anxiety. the fires seem to be encircling us and it's only a matter of time before something hits us.

i plan on being in houston this weekend, and pray to God that my place doesn't burn down (especially, with my dog being left alone).

Pork Chop
09-06-2011, 10:56 PM
hope all the central texas people are alright.
i live pretty far west of the san antonio fires (around utsa); so as far as I know we're good.
take care out there

BJJ-Blue
09-07-2011, 06:46 AM
i plan on being in houston this weekend, and pray to God that my place doesn't burn down (especially, with my dog being left alone).

Do you have someone watching your dog in case he/she needs to be evacuated?

kristcaldwell
09-07-2011, 08:10 AM
that was the problem - the usual dog-sitter is going to be out of town. fortunately, i just got the okay to postpone the trip to the end of the month.