PDA

View Full Version : Serious question to those people who practice both "Internal" and "External " ar

Fu-Pow
10-31-2001, 10:46 PM
When practicing at home is there any preference to the order in which you practice. I mean, should I practice Taiji before my CLF or vice versa? Well reasoned arguments only please. :D

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/Choy%20Lay%20Fut%20red.gif

Kung Lek
10-31-2001, 11:00 PM
Hey Fu

Some sets as you know have internal aspects embedded within them.

My personal workout includes cal (warmup), standing post, sets (weapons/empty hand), standing post or seated meditation. In that order, varying the sets each practice. but everything else stays the same.

every morning I do Chi Kung as well as every evening. some mornings begin with a set that has much internal aspects in it.

meditate every day.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

MonkeySlap Too
10-31-2001, 11:06 PM
It depends on my goals that I am working on, how much time I have and how I feel that day.

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci

honorisc
10-31-2001, 11:31 PM
Taijiquan first. If you have a don't eat (so much time before practice so much time after practice) half of an hour before practice or half of an hour after practice then do Taijiquan first so that the half of an hour after can be passed by the doing of your CLF. Also, you are warmed-up and limbered-up for the more stringent moves of your CLF~. Some-such.

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

EARTH DRAGON
10-31-2001, 11:41 PM
I will have to agree with no know, tai chi first. When you find your self in a relaxed state of awarness through moving meditation like tai chi it is easier to focus, breathing is regulated and your YI is clam. This is when I find that my mind and body work best with each other and then my kung fu flows smoothly like water and I fell like I am retaining more with a cler mind and focused attention

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Nexus
10-31-2001, 11:48 PM
You'll find my post in the Taijiquan section of the forum.

- Nexus

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-01-2001, 12:07 AM
i hit the bag for a good bit before anything to get the aggression out of my system and then ill either meditate or go through some simple movements while trying to clear my mind.

after that i just train. i guess i mainly train the interal concepts at this point, but external techniques just kinda come out naturally when moving from one thing on to the next. i usually pick something specific to work on like punches/kicks/stances/footwork and then do that. if there are both internal and external techniques for whatever i'm working on ill do either one as they come to mind, or while free flowing at the end of training. i'm not very advanced in the interanl arts but i don't see why you have to seperate them like that. i mean bag work would be more external and chi gung would be more interanal, but when you are flowing or working techniques why not just flow from one thing to the next regardless?

where's my beer?

Wongsifu
11-01-2001, 12:24 AM
personally i used to do my tai ji first as a warm up and then move to my external practises so i could really release the power.

Nowadays though i find i cant do chi kung before my external unless it is a good hour before, because all of the energy that gets collected needs to infuse into the body, if i do 1 hour of chi kung , there is no way on earth i can throw a fast punch after that because my belly is bloated with chi , its like eating and then practising. Bottom line is do how you feel,

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

neptunesfall
11-01-2001, 02:01 AM
5 min sitting qigong
short standing qigong set
28 min stances
30 min hard qigong
techniques
shuai chiao drills
forms*
taichi*
30 min sitting qigong set*
5 min sitting qigong

* if i have time

i prefer to do it like this because i see the 2 beginning sets of qigong as a warm up, then the strength training [stances + hard qigong], then the aerobics [techniques, drills, forms], then the taichi and qigong as a cool down.
also, with the qigong in the beginning, i get more focused and my hard qigong etc has a more meditative quality to it. it also helps me internalize my awareness and it's easier for me to realize correct posture, etc. :)

Ky-Fi
11-01-2001, 05:54 AM
I've been taught to always finish up with some sort of soft qigong. With some hard qigong practice you're tensing your muscles to intentionally trap qi---it's important to disperse it all with soft qigong afterwards.