PDA

View Full Version : When will the hurting stop?

pain_junkie
05-01-2001, 11:15 PM
Just a quick question about training; I'm not in very good shape, and I just started studying kung fu. The workouts are kicking my a$$ severely. That's okay, because I totally expected them to, and I totally love the feeling. The only down side is that my classes are twice a week and it takes me four days to fully sleep off the effects of one class. That means that if I work out on Monday night I'll stop hurting Friday morning, which is GREAT...except that I work out again on Wednesday night. =) So how long does it take to cut down on recovery time. I don't want to EVER work out and not feel a bit of a burn the next day, but I'm also looking forward to being able to be 100% for the next practice...

premier
05-02-2001, 01:17 AM
Hmm. You can reduce the soreness a lot by cooling down properly. Stretch and stuff. Read http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/ for details. Read it carefully.

On my opinion 4 days of soreness isn't normal unless you have done some psychotic training.

premier
05-02-2001, 01:21 AM
I've had 5 days, but that was really psychotic... =)

It's nice to hear you enjoy your training.

Budokan
05-02-2001, 01:24 AM
Here's the bad news: It never stops hurting.

Here's the good news: It's more than worth it in the long run.

Gee, ain't MA fun?

K. Mark Hoover

pain_junkie
05-02-2001, 04:48 AM
hehehe...just reminded me of what the guys in my school say. Whenever the workout is kicking my butt, they say "Don't worry man. It gets worse. " =)

joedoe
05-02-2001, 04:52 AM
I found that eventually the pains eases, but it never really goes away :(

-------------------------------------
You have no chance to survive - make your time.

dunbarj01
05-02-2001, 05:01 AM
The serious pain stopped after 3 months. This was the period when I would praise escalators and curse stairs.

After 6 months most of the pain went away but I still felt that I had worked out the next day. That was tolerable pain.

After that I didn't feel it the next day and started training more frequently.

inyo
05-02-2001, 06:31 AM
Is there life without pain???--Training parallels life,mirrors it!!--In life there is pain -in martial arts there is pain.It comes in many forms,but is invaluable.In learning to deal with pain your mind is trained.The mind is a weapon when trained properly,but a weakness when left to its own devices. An untrained mind will stop/give up at the first hint /feeling of pain,a trained mind will overcome pain.Embrace pain it's a great teacher. :D :D :D oossuu!!!

Radhnoti
05-02-2001, 04:49 PM
Premier, thanks for the site I'm going to check it out now. Anyone else have knee pains? We've been doing bird stances in warm-ups and a form where you jump into the bird stance several times. I dread every stance, my knees KILL me. I'm afraid it's hurting my execution of the form. Any tips for relieving this?

-Radhnoti

JWTAYLOR
05-02-2001, 05:44 PM
Good for you, welcome to pain city. And you can't leave pain city.

Two things often overlooked when training by begginers are sleep and protien intake. Make sure you are getting AT LEAST 8 hours of sleep. And make sure you are getting enough protien. For the average person, who doesn't want to gain allot of weight, I'd say a quarter to half a gram of protien per pound of body weight per day. That's only if you're really sore and working out HARD. It will help you heal allot faster. Back the protien down after you start healing faster unless you want to get big.

JW

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Fu-Pow
05-02-2001, 06:32 PM
Be sure that you drink plenty of water, get plenty of sleep and take a multivitamin, (preferably with a meal.) Also if you want to recover faster try stretching out AFTER working out...this usually prevents stiffness....I always forget to do this...but when I do it helps alot.

As for increasing overall cardiovascular fitness you might try some light jogging on your off days...or if you want to spice it up...do some interval training...ie walk one minute...jog one minute...sprint one minute....do as many as you can up to two miles...

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/logo.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

zen_celt
05-03-2001, 02:35 AM
Personally, I feel the worst pain when I do my first stretching of the day. Because of my schedule, I often train at weird hours and time frames(meaning I lift on monday and then have to wait week or so to do it and then the following week I do it three times in a week which is what I am used to). This can create more pain than is normal for most. I found the best way to alleviate this is is to stretch moderately before a workout, pretty well afterwards, and then lgihtly-very well before bed. Also after you have been awake and walking around for about an hour or two, stretching then is good as well and takes away most pain for the day. Also, if you feel really sore the day after, stretch lightly on that day and the next day do a good but moderate workout until you eventually get into the routine. But I love being a little sore because then I know I did something right. At least as long as it doesn't interfere with my ability to do a good high side kick.
Peace and good training,
Zen_celt

pain_junkie
05-03-2001, 08:14 AM
massive thanks go out to everyone for the cool replies. They gave my mind lots of things to groove on while I'm all tender and laid up. =) Actually, I found that the pain actually LESSENED after my wednesday workout. I didn't have as much oomph as monday but I got through it and felt great afterwards. Plenty sore the next day but I can feel it getting a touch better every workout. Getting into shape is definitely going to be a pain though. Oh well, I guess it's the price I pay for 19 years of doing nothing and then falling head-over feet for a martial art who's name translates into "hard work". =

Kung Lek
05-03-2001, 08:18 AM
If you complain again that'll be 3000 pushups and crunches until thursday... non stop :D

now get back in there and train!

Kung Lek

IronFist
05-03-2001, 09:51 AM
Jon Wayne Taylor said:

"For the average person, who doesn't want to gain allot of weight, I'd say a quarter to half a gram of protien per pound of body weight per day.
That's only if you're really sore and working out HARD. It will help you heal allot faster. Back the protien down after you start healing faster unless you want to get big."

I ASSURE you that you will not "get big" on a half gram of protein per pound of body weight per day.

A quarter gram? Where do you get your nutritional info? Say he weighs 150 lbs. That would be 37.5g of protein all day. Dude that's less than half steak's worth of protein. That's even less than the RDA's value... which is too small as it is (what is it, like 60g a day or something? Yeah, maybe that would work for a sedentary elderly person...)

Pain_junkie, if your muscles are sore after workouts, eat around 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, per day. You will not get big, I promise. "Getting big" results from increasing your overall caloric intake. There are 4 calories per gram of protein. There are 3500 calories in a pound. If you are 150lbs, 1 gram per pound of bodyweight would be 600 calories from protein all day. Assuming that you probably already eat near this amount of protein anyway (if you eat 3 or 4 meals a day) you might be adding 150-200 calories a day to your diet. 200 extra calories a day will not make you big.

Also, drink at least a half gallon of water per day. Preferrably an entire gallon.

To reiterate, "getting big" results from intense weight training and consuming 5,000+ calories a day, including 2-3 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. No one gets huge off of martial arts training and a decent amount of protein. If that were true, there'd be MA's all over that look like bodybuilders.

Iron