PDA

View Full Version : Joe Son, of UFC III, gets life in prison

IronWeasel
09-09-2011, 07:15 PM
To millions of moviegoers he was Doctor Evil's henchman Random Task.

But now a 40-year-old Orange County actor famous from an "Austin Powers" movie will be spending life in state prison in connection with a 1990 Christmas Eve gang rape and torture of a woman taking a walk to see the seasonal lights.

Joseph Hyungmin Son was found guilty Aug. 25 of felony torture, an offense that carries a life term without possibility of parole. The actor was originally charged three years ago with numerous sex crimes but because of a statute of limitations, prosecutors eventually won a conviction on torture.

The crime unfolded seven years before the 1997 movie "Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery."

According to prosecutors, a woman walking back to her apartment alone with her dog after going to look at Christmas lights with a relative and friend was stopped by Son about 12:30 a.m. on Christmas Eve 1990. Son asked her for directions and then with another man dragged her to their car, threw her in the back and drove away.

Son and the other man told her they were driving to Compton, pistol-whipped her and repeatedly threatened to kill her. Prosecutors said Son then repeatedly raped, sodomized and forced the victim to orally copulate him in the back of the car. He also tortured her with a firearm. Son's cohort Santiago Lopez Gaitan, 40, of San Antonio raped the woman.

Afterward, Son threatened to kill the victim and counted the bullets in the gun out loud as she pleaded for her life. Son and Gaitan finally allowed the woman, identified only as Jane Doe, to leave, naked and with her pants tied around her eyes. The victim was actually in Huntington Beach and went to a nearby home where homeowners called the police.

While physical evidence was gathered in the case from the sexual assault, the case went cold. Son, however, was convicted in May 2008 of felony vandalism in an unrelated case and was forced to give a DNA sample. That sample was then linked to DNA collected in the 1990 case, prosecutors said.

Gaitan pleaded guilty in January to kidnapping, sodomy, rape, forcible oral copulation and forcible rape with a sentencing enhancement for committing rape while armed with a firearm. He was sentenced to 17 years and four months in state prison.

The victim told the judge before sentencing Friday that she suffers daily post-traumatic stress disorder.

"I feel debilitating fear come over me and am convinced a hand is coming from behind again," she said in court. "My emotional scars are intense. My 20s were stripped from my life as I relearned how to walk, see, hear and cope with the outside world again. Joseph Son not only cost me my job at my salon but also my college savings ... not to mention the impact it’s made on celebrating Christmas year after year."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/09/austin-powers-henchman-actor-gets-life-in-prison-in-rapetorture.html

Dragonzbane76
09-10-2011, 05:47 AM
eye for an eye in my book. Should suffer a horrendous gang raping himself.

Lucas
09-10-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm sure he will, since he's famous enough to have it reported on the internet widely enough for people to notice, inmates will find out. I hope he cries and screams and then after his own gang rape, eats a shiv in the stomach.

IronWeasel
09-10-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm sure he will, since he's famous enough to have it reported on the internet widely enough for people to notice, inmates will find out. I hope he cries and screams and then after his own gang rape, eats a shiv in the stomach.

Jeez!

Is this personal for you???

:D

Lucas
09-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Jeez!

Is this personal for you???

:D

:p sorta

having women in your life who have been victimized in any way similar makes that subject a sore spot. I would have absolutely no problem personally executing malicious rapists.

Faruq
09-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Nowhere in the article does it mention UFC III. You got a link to any footage of him competing? What art did he represent?

IronWeasel
09-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Nowhere in the article does it mention UFC III. You got a link to any footage of him competing? What art did he represent?

My mistake...It was UFC 4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Mva-3n7TY

Dragonzbane76
09-10-2011, 10:16 PM
having women in your life who have been victimized in any way similar makes that subject a sore spot. I would have absolutely no problem personally executing malicious rapists

I could see your point. If something even remotely happend like this to my wife I would personally torture and kill people of this nature. Fuking people like this are a disease and need delt with in the utmost formula.

IronFist
09-10-2011, 10:48 PM
He's the dude Keith Hackney punched in the nuts:

http://uploader.ws/upload/201109/HackneyJoeSon_display_image.jpg

Jimbo
09-12-2011, 12:19 AM

I remember him calling his art "Joe Son Do."

Good riddance to him. Too bad the other guy didn't get life, too.

Frost
09-12-2011, 02:01 AM
Kind of makes me happy his UFC fight was famous for him getting pinned and punched repeatedly in the B6lls, poetic justice I think its called

David Jamieson
09-12-2011, 05:57 AM
Frankly I'm not that surprised.

jmd161
09-12-2011, 08:49 AM

It doesn't take the internet for inmates to find out... from the time you're arrested and brought into jail the inmates already know what you've been arrested for. I was in jail waiting for bond when this guy was being booked into jail down stairs... before he ever made it out of booking the news had gotten up to all 7 floors that he was in on a murder charge.

It was already known that the guy he killed... actually charged him and fell on a knife he had in his hand. The guy gets upstairs and starts acting tough saying i already killed one person tonight blah blah blah... Guys started laughing at him as you could tell he was barely 20 yrs old and scared to death.

Anyway, he played tough guy a bit too long and ended up literary getting his skull cracked by 4 guys after he used the N-word! Funny thing they told him when the CO's come around you better say you fell in the shower! Sure nuff the CO comes around sees the blood all over the guy and says what happened?

He says I fell in the shower... CO walks away without even seeing if the guy is okay. Later that night during lock down when the guys couldn't get to him he began screaming at the top of his lungs for the CO's...when they came he then admitted what had taken place.

Dale Dugas
09-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Seems like the MMA thug mentality went a little too far with this Piece of Crap.

What a loser.

Rapists usually become the raped in the can.

he will squeal loud I bet

Frost
09-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Seems like the MMA thug mentality went a little too far with this Piece of Crap.

What a loser.

Rapists usually become the raped in the can.

he will squeal loud I bet

please dont drag the MMA v TCMA bit into this, he was and is a piece of you know what, no need to say anything about MMA, TCMA has plenty of thugs to

David Jamieson
09-12-2011, 01:15 PM
please dont drag the MMA v TCMA bit into this, he was and is a piece of you know what, no need to say anything about MMA, TCMA has plenty of thugs to

This is true. I think Gene has a big list of thugs, weirdos, pedophiles, robbers, etc.
All connected to various martial arts.

And we are talking UFC 4 here. So, hardly what I would call MMA except for teh fact that they took a karate guy and threw him in the ring with a boxer, BAM! Mixed martial arts.

The early UFC's actually showed just how wide the variety fo martial arst reallyw as and it also exemplified why guys with big mouths should just STFU when it came to putting up. lol (Remembers Fred Ettish)

However, there have been a couple of murderers, 3 or so rapists pointed out in the mma world recently and a lot of spousal abuse too and some suicides. I don't think there is pursuit of spiritual maturity associated with mma practice. :p

Lucas
09-12-2011, 01:44 PM
If you teach someone how to hurt people, and make them physically capable of doing so, yet impart no ethics regarding those abilities, you are setting yourself up for a certain % of your students ending up in a negative violent occurance.

this works for any violent practice, not just mma

bawang
09-12-2011, 01:46 PM
If you teach someone how to hurt people, and make them physically capable of doing so, yet impart no ethics regarding those abilities, you are setting yourself up for a certain % of your students ending up in a negative violent occurance.

this works for any violent practice, not just mma

i agree. i think mma needs to be more responsible.

Frost
09-13-2011, 12:24 AM
i agree. i think mma needs to be more responsible.

why? seriously what is it with people thinking they needs to be a spiritual side to MA did they see too much karate kid when they were younger? most TCMA arts were designed to kill, and those that learned them did so because...well they needed or wanted to use them, not all of them were body guards a good number of teachers who came to the west were hired thugs for the triads or guys who needed to leave home quickly hardly men of moral character

i would argue that in teaching respect for the tap, teaching you to fight to the agreed rules and most importantly teaching you how to deal with getting your butt handed to you by someone 20kg lighter MMA is as responsible as any TCMA art it just doesnt wrap it up in esoteric ways

David Jamieson
09-13-2011, 05:08 AM
why? seriously what is it with people thinking they needs to be a spiritual side to MA did they see too much karate kid when they were younger? most TCMA arts were designed to kill, and those that learned them did so because...well they needed or wanted to use them, not all of them were body guards a good number of teachers who came to the west were hired thugs for the triads or guys who needed to leave home quickly hardly men of moral character

i would argue that in teaching respect for the tap, teaching you to fight to the agreed rules and most importantly teaching you how to deal with getting your butt handed to you by someone 20kg lighter MMA is as responsible as any TCMA art it just doesnt wrap it up in esoteric ways

I don't agree. Good sportsmanship is not the same as tempered character in a broader sense.

I also don't think that one's spirituality or active conscience is addressed adequately in typical martial arts classes no matter where they are. It's used of course, it has to be to function, but it isn't really refined in any way such as the methods of meditation and service will provide.

The full offerings of the limbs of yoga aren't given in an average yoga studio either, just the asanas and some breathing exercises.

anyway, growth will come to those who pursue it regardless of the path they choose. If someone wants to pursue spirituality, then martial arts is kind of a weird starting point...

Frost
09-13-2011, 05:13 AM
I don't agree. Good sportsmanship is not the same as tempered character in a broader sense.

I also don't think that one's spirituality or active conscience is addressed adequately in typical martial arts classes no matter where they are. It's used of course, it has to be to function, but it isn't really refined in any way such as the methods of meditation and service will provide.

The full offerings of the limbs of yoga aren't given in an average yoga studio either, just the asanas and some breathing exercises.

anyway, growth will come to those who pursue it regardless of the path they choose. If someone wants to pursue spirituality, then martial arts is kind of a weird starting point...

i agree, i dont think either addresses it nor was designed to, just that MMA addresses it in its way just as well as TCMA does, which is not very well

I also agree its a weird starting point