PDA

View Full Version : Change in perception.

m1k3
09-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Good morning campers!

Let's try something different today. I have going through a lot of changes in how I view myself and the world because of attending Al-Anon and learning how to deal with an alcoholic spouse. Thought I might share a lesson here that has worked very well for me. I am going to change it a little so that it applies to WC.

Basically when reading or posting on the forum pretend that everyone here posting is a enlightened master except for you and then try to change your attitude from "Why are they saying such stupid sh1t?" and arguing about it, to "What are they trying to teach me?". Even if you don't agree with what is being posted there is a good chance you could learn something. Even if it's just how to stay calm and be an adult when people are saying stupid sh1t.

Just a little food for thought.

Thank you for letting me share.

:D

Lee Chiang Po
09-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Good morning campers!

Let's try something different today. I have going through a lot of changes in how I view myself and the world because of attending Al-Anon and learning how to deal with an alcoholic spouse. Thought I might share a lesson here that has worked very well for me. I am going to change it a little so that it applies to WC.

Basically when reading or posting on the forum pretend that everyone here posting is a enlightened master except for you and then try to change your attitude from "Why are they saying such stupid sh1t?" and arguing about it, to "What are they trying to teach me?". Even if you don't agree with what is being posted there is a good chance you could learn something. Even if it's just how to stay calm and be an adult when people are saying stupid sh1t.

That is really a good idea. What we deem as foolishness and BS is just our own perception, and it in no way means that it is wrong. Just that we may not fully understand it.

nasmedicine
09-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Good morning campers!

Thank you for sharing. I think many people already do this on the forum , but it would be nice if more lived by that philosophy.

wingchunIan
09-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Good morning campers!

Think some may find it a little too much to grasp mate, but agree wholeheartedly that the forum would be better if everyone took this approach. Isn't it funny where we get inspiration from...

anerlich
09-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Even if it's just how to stay calm and be an adult when people are saying stupid sh1t.

I guess that's a goal worth pursuing.

Unless, of course, they're saying REALLY stupid sh1t ...

:p

Wayfaring
09-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Basically when reading or posting on the forum pretend that everyone here posting is a enlightened master...

Because this forum exists to promulgate martial arts fantasy, right?

m1k3
09-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Because this forum exists to promulgate martial arts fantasy, right?

???

Not sure what you mean ?

Buddha_Fist
09-12-2011, 05:48 PM
???

Not sure what you mean ?

That's the outcome when you throw healthy skepticism out of the window!

;)

m1k3
09-12-2011, 07:11 PM
That's the outcome when you throw healthy skepticism out of the window!

;)

Are you trying to say that you can't be skeptical and still learn something from the person posting? Even if it's nothing more than arguing with a fool only makes a fool of you as well? :eek:

That would be a shame. :D

Tom Kagan
09-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Without irony and with all sincerity:

Why are you saying such stupid sh1t?

m1k3
09-13-2011, 07:16 AM
Without irony and with all sincerity:

Why are you saying such stupid sh1t?

Because it is easy to get caught up in. The need to be clever or right is a hard trap to avoid. I do it less now but obviously I can't say never.

Progress not perfection.

It is one of my compulsions, the need to be in control even though I know I can't be in control of other people, places or things.

Thanks for help me with that. At least now I can recognize when I am doing it and work on changing it.

Tom Kagan
09-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Because it is easy to get caught up in. The need to be clever or right is a hard trap to avoid. I do it less now but obviously I can't say never.

Progress not perfection.

It is one of my compulsions, the need to be in control even though I know I can't be in control of other people, places or things.

Thanks for help me with that. At least now I can recognize when I am doing it and work on changing it.

Wait... this thread is a public defecation of a personal breakthrough? An emo thread??

Are you sure you're not saying you decided Dave sucks as a moderator and that you could do better?

m1k3
09-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Wait... this thread is a public defecation of a personal breakthrough? An emo thread??

Are you sure you're not saying you decided Dave sucks as a moderator and that you could do better?

Well, I don't wear black just because it's slimming. :p

Besides if I was moderator, T, knifefighter and Victor would all be invited back and all threads would be limited to the secret internal powers of SLT or why are you wasting time sparring scrubs! Maybe I would also allow posting on the unholy alliance of Wing Chun and Catch Wrestling. This would be an awesome forum. :D

Tom Kagan
09-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to just cut yourself?

anerlich
09-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Tom,

is there some clever sarcasm I'm missing, or are you just being a d1ck?

Tom Kagan
09-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Tom,

is there some clever sarcasm I'm missing, or are you just being a d1ck?

If you could explain to me the distinction you make between those two choices, I might be able to answer your question.

Threads like this one come up every so often. It's basically the thread type along the lines "can't we all get along if we just do this?" These threads don't accomplish anything and I normally ignore them.

I like the online persona that is m1k3, so I chose to respond. I'm making it painfully clear he doesn't need others to validate how he feels and that he is talking to the wrong people if he has a difference of opinion over this forum's editorial policy.

m1k3
09-14-2011, 05:28 AM
Dear sweet god no! This was not a "can't we all get along if we just do this?" thread!

It was simply something that I have picked up recently that has had a positive impact on my mental health, a lot less free floating anger and anxiety. Thought I'd share and maybe someone would get something out of it, maybe not.

It would be nice if it improved the quality of the posts though. Too much is simply a knee jerk reaction with little or no thought involved.

I'm making it painfully clear he doesn't need others to validate how he feels Yeap, I figured that one out already and as for painful, after living 10 years with an active alcoholic that post didn't even register on the pain radar. :) Looks like your going to have to work on the biting wit Tom. :p

and that he is talking to the wrong people if he has a difference of opinion over this forum's editorial policy. I have to say I really don't give a rat's rear about the editorial policy but to be honest I miss knifefighter. He was a troll, he admitted he was a troll but he often had good, well thought out and nasty posts that were very entertaining.

I like the online persona that is m1k3 Thanks Tom, I like you too. <3 However this split from my wife has left me somewhat down and I don't think I am ready for another relationship quite yet. :eek:

Tom Kagan
09-14-2011, 07:00 AM
Dear sweet god no! This was not a "can't we all get along if we just do this?" thread!

Oh really? Consider:

It was simply something that I have picked up recently that has had a positive impact on my mental health, a lot less free floating anger and anxiety. Thought I'd share and maybe someone would get something out of it, maybe not.

It would be nice if it improved the quality of the posts though. Too much is simply a knee jerk reaction with little or no thought involved.

and also:

I have to say I really don't give a rat's rear about the editorial policy but to be honest I miss knifefighter. He was a troll, he admitted he was a troll but he often had good, well thought out and nasty posts that were very entertaining.

(Emphasis mine)

Contradictions.

Yeap, I figured that one out already and as for painful, after living 10 years with an active alcoholic that post didn't even register on the pain radar. :) Looks like your going to have to work on the biting wit Tom. :p

Thanks Tom, I like you too. <3 However this split from my wife has left me somewhat down and I don't think I am ready for another relationship quite yet. :eek:

I find it amusing, considering what you wrote in the OP, you quickly abandoned trying to be engaging and entertaining for the old lure of trying to show me how clever you are.

Considering what you wrote, I suppose it is good you feel the what you write here in the OP. Repetition is highly underrated, IMO. But the only people who will heed your words are those who generally do what you're saying, anyway. Perhaps you now understand a little better why I consider these threads don't accomplish anything and are more than a little strange? If still not, then perhaps the next time you are near 30th St Station in Philly, start telling a few who have some time to kill the same insight in the OP and gauge their reactions. It doesn't work; you don't know them and you haven't wronged them. You need to lean on your friendship with Bill W., not random, anonymous people.

m1k3
09-14-2011, 07:54 AM
I guess we will have to agree to disagree Tom. I am just not seeing where you are coming from. I was simply sharing some experience with no expectations other than some interesting conversation, I was bored at work. No deeper meanings.

I am finding our conversation interesting.

I don't see the contradiction between not caring about the editorial polices of the board and missing knifefighter's posts. I found them entertaining but many people didn't. Ergo, he is gone. This really isn't a big deal and I am not raging against the machine because of his banning.

I read and post here primarily for entertainment and the occasional good advice. If I can post something that increases the entertainment value for me then it was a success. I consider this thread to be a success.

Please continue as I enjoy your perspective and posting style.

Your friend,

Wayfaring
09-14-2011, 07:56 PM
See - threads at KFO CAN actually have "kumbaya" endings.

My perception IS changed...

m1k3
09-15-2011, 04:56 AM
See - threads at KFO CAN actually have "kumbaya" endings.

My perception IS changed...

LOL, thank you for sharing that.

HumbleWCGuy
09-20-2011, 01:13 PM
That sort of understanding only goes so far as several now banned members had demonstrated over and over again. There are a number of people who live in a fantasy that they are the only one who gets it (in spite of lack of experience) so there is no understanding that can be had.