PDA

View Full Version : Martial FAIL

GeneChing
09-14-2011, 09:48 AM
I couldn't quite find an appropriate thread to post this. Our subforum here has a lot of interesting threads - I need to compile them some day.

Kung Fu Student Beaten in Road Rage Attack: Cops (http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/129712413.html)
By Kelly Bayliss and Dan Stamm
| Tuesday, Sep 13, 2011 | Updated 6:36 PM EDT

A Delaware County man says he was brutally beaten during a road rage incident following a martial arts class Saturday.
advertisement

A Delco man is behind bars after allegedly beating a Kung Fu student to the point of unconsciousness on Saturday.

Eric Bailey, 36, of Windermere Avenue in Lansdowne was arrested around 245 p.m. Saturday for the incident.

The victim, 37-year-old Anthony Alleva, called the whole thing a case of road rage. He told NBC Philadelphia that he was walking his bike home from Kung Fu class when he and Bailey, who was driving at the time, had words.

Alleva says that Bailey got out of his car, began attacking him and then drove away.

"I was attacked from behind," Alleva told NBC Philadelphia. "I said, 'listen, pedestrians have the right of way and I'm in a crosswalk at an intersection."

A witness to the alleged beating got the car's license plate number and called police.

“He stated the subject on the bicycle had clearly lost the fight, but the driver continued to deliver punches and kicks [to his head],” according to a police statement in an affidavit obtained by the Delco Times.

Police say that the Alleva was fairly alert when they arrived, however, he lost consciousness on his way to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania where he was treated for head injuries, including memory loss and a black eye.

"I'm in terrible pain... fractured the orbital socket -- it really sucks," Alleva said.

Alleva was released from the hospital Monday. His injuries could require surgery, he said.

The victim tells NBC Philadelphia that in Kung Fu, students are taught to walk away from confrontations.

Bailey, pictured on the left, contacted Yeadon Police, saying that Alleva called him a racial slur, prompting him to react.

He faces assault charges and was behind bars Tuesday in lieu of posting 10 percent of his $50,000 in bail.

Hebrew Hammer
09-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Fuel for the fire? That TCMAs are dead?

Fa Xing
09-14-2011, 12:52 PM
More like he just needs some better teaching in handling a situation of defense.

sanjuro_ronin
09-14-2011, 12:59 PM
A case of getting ones ass kicked because one is too stupid to realize one is in a fight.

Hebrew Hammer
09-14-2011, 01:10 PM
I think that's the famous, mouth-writing-a-check-the-ass-can't-cash technique.

Darthlawyer
09-17-2011, 10:08 PM
I think its a case of "don't turn your back on someone who is angry at you". This guy could have been coming back from the firing range with a loaded AK instead of a Kung Fu school, and he could still get hit when he turns his back.

wingchunIan
09-19-2011, 07:44 AM
it also doesn't say how long the guy had been training or how good he was. He might only have been going for few weeks and be a below average joe. Equally it doesn't give any details about their relative sizes, physiques or background. Not really so ****ing if the victim is a nine stone sub six foot academic from suburbia who has had a few weeks of kung fu training whilst the attacker is a 280 lbs bad boy from the inner cities who's been fighting all his life even without any training.

hskwarrior
09-19-2011, 09:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kv3KBfDpKY

pateticorecords
10-11-2011, 01:45 PM
"The victim tells NBC Philadelphia that in Kung Fu, students are taught to walk away from confrontations."

Not sure what school he goes to (but there aren't many kung fu schools in the southern suburbs of philadelphia) but students are taught to avoid confrontations and if threatened to use everything you got... or so I thought!

This happened close to where I live at, the Lansdowne area has been going down hill for years, and road rage is one of the biggest issues around these parts. As for the thug, he has had previous issues with beating people up.

Hardwork108
10-12-2011, 12:45 AM
A case of getting ones ass kicked because one is too stupid to realize one is in a fight.

I think its a case of "don't turn your back on someone who is angry at you". This guy could have been coming back from the firing range with a loaded AK instead of a Kung Fu school, and he could still get hit when he turns his back.

Two real and connected reasons why so many people end up hurt in today's violent societies.

My guess is that the "kung fu" guy did not want to fight to start with and hoped to walk away to diffuse the situation. Of course, he gets zero points for situation assessment.

Pork Chop
10-12-2011, 07:55 AM
mantis guy?
man
if he wants to keep that stup!d haircut and all those tattooes, he should probably at least go study some of Chuck Liddell's Em Em Eh®
sad thing is that it was probably nothing more than "sloppy brawling" that broke that dude's orbital.

JamesC
10-12-2011, 02:42 PM
I wonder if the guys was truly attacked from behind.

TaichiMantis
11-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Karate Moves Don't Stop Thieves (http://www.sj-r.com/breaking/x812499314/Karate-moves-don-t-stop-thieves)

A man told police his karate moves did not deter two men who barged into his apartment office and stole $400 from him Tuesday night.

The incident happened about 7:45 p.m. in the 2100 block of Watch Avenue. The 44-year-old victim told police he’d just returned from a store when two men knocked on his door and said he owed them money. He let them in and they made their way into his office, where they stole cash that was on his desk.

He told police he tried to use some of his karate moves on the men, but they hit him on the head, causing a small cut. He said they left and he didn’t remember much else.

GeneChing
02-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Two Teens Arrested For Stealing 81-Yr-Old's iPhone, Shoving Him Into Tracks (http://gothamist.com/2012/02/23/81-yr-old_shoved_into_subway_tracks.php)
Andrew Wang (via NBC New York)

The 81-year-old man whose iPhone was stolen and then was shoved into Brooklyn subway tracks says that he's thankful to the subway riders in the station who helped him. Andrew Wang, who spent three days in the hospital after the incident at the Lorimer Street J train station, told the Daily News, "Other people came and helped me. It was God who helped. Thank God, I’m all right."

Wang, who walks with a cane, told the News that he was checking his iPhone on Friday morning. "Suddenly, the guy grabs my phone. I wouldn’t let him have it. We struggled and he got it, all that was left was the cover.... I yelled and chased him down the platform. I wanted other people on the platform to know that he robbed me." Then, "I chased him a little bit, and about 10 steps later, another guy just pushed me and I fell down."

Wang suffered a sprained ankle, cuts and bruises. He told the Post, "I learned kung fu when I was 10. I couldn’t remember how to do it." Here's video of Wang:

NBC New York reports that two teens, ages 15 and 17, were arrested and charges are pending. Wang also said, "They are young and have a lot of chances to do good. They can still turn their lives around. I wish only to get my iPhone back." He may not remember his kung fu, but at least he's forgiving.

Never stop practicing.

TaichiMantis
02-23-2012, 10:34 AM
I guess he never learned a cane form...;)

GeneChing
03-14-2012, 09:30 AM
This would really suck.

14. 03. 12. - 09:00
Kung Fu Frightening (http://austriantimes.at/news/Around_the_World/2012-03-14/40174/Kung_Fu_Frightening)
http://austriantimes.at/thumbnails/p/pf4a1fdi_large.jpg

Kung Fu expert Wei Hin was floored as he practiced his techniques in a town square - and fell straight through the paving stones down a 20ft hole.

Wei, 56 - from Xi'an, Shaanxi province, western China - explained: :"I exercise at the same spot every morning. But this time I felt the paving stone wobble and then the ground swallowed me up. It was a real shock."

"I was told later that the builders who had paved the square had built it over some old drains and it looks like they cut some corners by not filling them all in," added Wei, now recovering from multiple fractures.

Safety experts are now checking the rest of the square for other underground chambers.

GeneChing
06-05-2014, 08:28 AM
A cautionary tale too. If this report is true, Murugan failed on one of the most fundamental principles of the martial arts - be aware of your surroundings. :(

Martial arts expert killed by muggers (http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/martial-arts-expert-killed-by-muggers-1.1699282#.U5CLxiiaKsI)
June 5 2014 at 04:09pm
By ISMAIL ADAM

http://www.iol.co.za/polopoly_fs/copy-of-nd-tyson-m-new-42398158-1.1699281!/image/2992826836.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_300/2992826836.jpg
Self-defence enthusiast Tyson Murugan was stabbed to death, possibly caught unawares as he was wearing earphones, as he walked home.

Durban - The family of a combat sport and self-defence enthusiast who was murdered for his cellphone while walking home in oThongathi (Tongaat) are trying to piece together his last moments.

They believe Tyson Murugan, 24, who was trained in self-defence and street-fighting techniques, might have been caught unawares by his assailants because he was listening to music on his earphones at the time of the vicious attack.

Murugan, of Fairbreeze, had been out exercising and was walking home from a nearby café when he was attacked on a walkway alongside Gopalall Hurbans Road on Tuesday night.

The aspiring mixed martial arts instructor and stunt choreographer was stabbed in the chest and stomach and died at the scene.

His cellphone was stolen.

Karna Murugan, 56, said on Wednesday that he was at the gym when he received a call at about 7pm telling him that his son had been stabbed.

“As I drove I kept thinking to myself, please God, don’t take his life. When I got there I just went numb. I saw Tyson lying on the ground with froth on the side of his mouth.

“The paramedics told me it’s too late – he is dead,” the tearful father said at the family home.

His other son, Mason, had broken the news of the stabbing to him, having been alerted by a neighbour who had seen Tyson lying on the ground, surrounded by a crowd. Mason said his brother had been listening to music on his BlackBerry when attacked and this might have distracted him.

“Tyson was one of the strongest people I came across. There must have been a group of people that attacked him because he could handle himself in any combat situation,” he said.

“I saw on my BBM that he was listening to music at the time of the incident so I assume robbers probably attacked him from behind and he possibly didn’t hear them.”

Mason said: “Tyson was actively involved in defence combat sports and was one of the first in the country to be involved with Defence Lab. This is an overseas organisation, which teaches defence fighting and combat methods.

“Tyson was a superb athlete and I find it difficult to believe that one or two people may have attacked him.

“He had even gone overseas to study the art and in November would have qualified as a Defence Lab instructor.”

Apart from his love for martial arts, Tyson had also begun training in stunt choreography and was taking acting classes.

He recently produced his own short film, The Cobra, which showed combat teaching methods, said Mason.

Police spokesman Captain Thulani Zwane said the motive for the murder was unknown and investigations were continuing.

Jimbo
06-05-2014, 09:00 AM
That is indeed very sad.

However, if someone is distracted, it wouldn't take a group of people to take him down, regardless of his fighting skills. A lethal attack can happen in a split-second.

There's also a lot of people who walk around mesmerized by their iPhones, completely oblivious to their surroundings...many even step into and cross busy streets without even looking up, expecting everyone else to look out for them. One local guy very recently got hit and killed BY A TRAIN because he was so engrossed in his iPhone that he never saw nor heard it coming as he went around the warning gate and started to walk across the tracks. The train was not able to stop in time.

Sometimes, when walking out of a shopping center to my car, I've seen people, men and women, walking alone just ahead of me, completely lost in talking or texting on their phones, completely oblivious to me or anything else. The parking lots or structures are very big. If I had been a criminal with bad intent, they would never have known what hit them.

sanjuro_ronin
06-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Sad, so very sad.
Had a case here to, but the distraction was a cell phone.
Person got beat and robbed but no stabbing.
Was a MA too by the way.

MarathonTmatt
06-06-2014, 06:24 AM
Sad to hear this. Seems like a lot of the stories I hear, always involves a cell phone.

GeneChing
02-26-2016, 10:05 AM
I really feel for Coope. Being hit by your own vodka bottle has gotta hurt deep. God**** yobs.

Dad battered by gang who gatecrashed daughter's 'girly night in' when it was posted on Facebook (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/facebook-gatecrashed-party-oldham-mark--10955137)
14:05, 26 FEB 2016
BY LUCY VARLEY
Mark Coope was hit with a bottle after he arrived at his Oldham home to find 25 youths who had seen the girly night posted on social media

http://i3.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/incoming/article10955339.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/JS83595832.jpg
Mark with daughter Shannon

A martial arts teacher was battered by a gang of drunken thugs after they gatecrashed his 14-year-old daughter’s ‘girly night in’ when it was posted on Facebook.

Company director Mark Coope, 54, had left daughter Shannon and five friends to enjoy pizza and a movie whilst he and his wife Rachel, 43, and his eldest daughter Heather, 22, went to a friend’s 60th birthday party.

But news of the ‘takeaway and chick flick’ night was posted on Facebook and a crowd of up to 25 teenage boys gatecrashed Mr Coope’s home in Oldham.

http://i3.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/incoming/article10955341.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS83595895.jpg
Mark was battered and left in a pool of blood

The engineering company boss - a black belt Ju-Jitsu master - rushed back home following a panic call from Shannon and ordered the yobs to leave only to be hit about the head with a bottle of vodka which had been taken from his drinks cabinet.

The thugs then fled the property leaving Mr Coope in a pool of blood.

He spent up to five hours in the Royal Oldham Hospital’s accident and emergency department where he was treated for a broken nose and various head wounds.

The youths, aged between 15 and 18, smashed up the front door, before helping themselves to Mr Coope’s collection of spirits and wines.

Shannon herself was hit in the face as she tried to stop her father being attacked.

Father of two Mr Coope, who is recovering at home, said: “If I wasn’t as strong as I am these stupid boys could have ended up facing a murder charge - given I was hit around the head with a glass bottle. I have never encountered anything like this before.

http://i1.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/incoming/article10955342.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS83595902.jpg
Mark, a black belt Ju-Jitsu master, was hit about the head with a bottle

“My daughter is a sensible girl and just wanted a fun, girlie night in with her best friends - but unfortunately they made a mistake by sharing it on Facebook and that information ended up in the wrong hands. Whatever some might say I don’t blame social media for what happened.

“This was all down to a lack of discipline and respect on the part of those thugs and you can’t blame Facebook for that. Youngsters should be able to share the fact that they are having a nice, care-free and fun time away from the grown ups.”

The incident occurred last week after Mr Coope - a Sensei at Samurai Ju-Jitsu Academy - left his daughter home alone for the very first time.

He added: “She was really quite ecstatic to be left home alone with her friends. She’s a sensible girl, so it was never a problem for her to invite some friends over and we trusted her completely and still do.

“I didn’t know much about what was going on, except she told me we needed to get home immediately. She then explained that a gang had broken into the house and were refusing to leave. She also told me that they had been helping themselves to my alcohol, which infuriated me. How dare they?

http://i2.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/incoming/article10955340.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS83595833.jpg
Shannon was enjoying a 'girly night in' with five friends when the gatecrashers arrived

“As soon as we pulled up, I could see a gang of lads scattered about the driveway. There were so many of them, I couldn’t even count them.

“I took two steps onto my driveway and suddenly, everything turned orange and I was on the floor. I knew that I was bleeding, because I could feel something trickling down the side of my head and onto my cheek.”

“I got up, turned to look at the lad who hit me and before I knew it, everything was orange and I was on the floor again, because somebody else had hit me from behind. I quickly realised I’d been glassed by my own bottle of vodka, which they’d happily helped themselves to.

“At that point, I was in survival mode. I think they were pretty shocked that after two nasty blows to the head, I’d actually gotten back onto my feet, and they quickly scarpered. But they could have killed me. I felt sick, and barely knew where I was.

“As a teacher of Ju-Jitsu I can teach people to defend themselves but there was very little anyone can do against such a cowardly attack. There was just too many of them and there was no way I could defend myself.

http://i1.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/incoming/article10955343.ece/BINARY/JS83595903.jpg
Mark Coope with injuries he sustained in the attack

“In hospital the doctors said they couldn’t believe I didn’t have a fractured skull. Those thugs had really laid into me, but luckily, I was fine. I can’t remember if I was smacked in the face or if I fell onto it, so I can’t explain the broken nose. I looked like the elephant man, my face was so swollen. But it could have been so much worse. I’m lucky to be alive.

“We’re not entirely sure how they found out where we lived, but we don’t blame our daughter or her friends for posting on Facebook. Why shouldn’t they post about the lovely time they’re having?

“It’s a shame that an event like this can happen so easily nowadays. An innocent, girly night in turned into bloody carnage, all because today’s yobs have no respect. They could have killed me, and they have left my daughter well and truly shaken. I doubt she’ll be in a hurry to arrange another ‘fun’ night home alone.”

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: “A 54-year old man returned to his home to find a group of 20-25 youths outside in the street. A verbal altercation ensued and the man was assaulted before the offenders fled. Inquiries into the incident are ongoing.”

GeneChing
03-02-2016, 09:53 AM
Former MMA Fighter Mikey Burnett and Son Shot While Exiting Tulsa Gym (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2620862-former-mma-fighter-mikey-burnett-and-son-shot-while-exiting-tulsa-gym)
By Scott Polacek , Featured Columnist Mar 1, 2016

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/578/597/hi-res-c8eb5e4c51982380655b43ee147807d5_crop_north.jpg?w= 630&h=420&q=75
Jeff Chiu/Associated Press

Former UFC fighter Mikey Burnett and his son, Freddie, were reportedly shot in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on Monday night.

Tess Maune of News on 6 in Tulsa reported the story and noted both men "are expected to survive" the incident.

Maune cited a family member who said Burnett and Freddie were working out at a gym and had parked in a nearby parking lot. The police said two men attempted to rob them at their car. "We're told Freddie tried to fight off the suspected robbers when they held up his dad," Maune wrote.

Burnett was reportedly shot three times in the abdomen, while Freddie was shot in the leg.

Paighten Harkins of the Tulsa World reported both were taken to the hospital in the aftermath. Harkins also noted Freddie is only 18 years old.

"[Sergeant Robert] Rohloff said both victims' condition had stabilized," per Harkins.

Sara Whaley of Fox23 in Tulsa provided a look at the scene:

Sara Whaley (https://twitter.com/FOX23SaraWhaley/status/704488140266835968/photo/1) Verified account
‏@FOX23SaraWhaley
BREAKING: 31st Garn. RibCrib. PD says 2 shot in prkg lot by thieves trying to rob them. Suspects on loose. @FOX23

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcbYNmoUUAEoo_o.jpg

RETWEETS 6
Pete BergerBig WillMark A HolderJeremie PoplinSuzanne Lake NadellDerrick Smith
6:07 PM - 29 Feb 2016

According to Sherdog, Burnett, who is from Tulsa, sported a 5-2 record in his career. He last appeared in a fight Jan. 8, 1999, when he beat Townsend Saunders at UFC 18.

Wow, that sucks.

GeneChing
05-02-2016, 01:15 PM
Not really Kung Fu, but nekkid (and not in a good way :()

There is vid but I'd give it a miss...:o

Bizarre footage shows cops tackling NAKED 'kung fu fighting' woman outside New York's Central Station (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/bizarre-footage-shows-cops-tackling-7874708)
17:54, 1 MAY 2016 UPDATED 17:54, 1 MAY 2016
BY MIRROR.CO.UK

The two cops looked very unsure as to how they should deal with the bizarre situation

A pair of New York police officers were faced with an unusual challenge when they were confronted with a naked woman outside the city's Central Station.

The poor cops looked like they had no idea what to do as the large naked woman danced about, punching the air and kung fu kicking in their general direction.

One of the policeman attempted to stop the woman by putting a hand onto her back - but rather than halting, she spun around and threw a punch at him.

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article7874496.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/VID-Naked-woman-confronts-police-in-central-station.jpg
One of the policeman attempted to the restrain the woman - but she turned around and tried to punch him

After a while the woman appeared to have exhausted herself, leaning forward with her hands resting on her knees, before walking over to a nearby bench and sinking down into it, wiping her brow with the back of her hand.

The policemen hover nearby, clearly unsure as to how to react to the bizarre situation.

http://i3.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article7874495.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/VID-Naked-woman-confronts-police-in-central-station.jpg
The naked woman danced about kicking and punching the air

After her brief rest the woman stood up and casually strolled away, as the cops followed cautiously behind her at a safe distance.

Read more: Woman causes traffic chaos climbing out of car sunroof and flashing her breasts

Mobile phone footage taken of the incident showed a police car pulling into shot - presumably to take the kung fu fighting exhibitionist away.

However, it was unclear what happened to the woman - or why she had decided to take her clothes off in the first place.

GeneChing
08-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Here's one of many that amused me.

Judo medalist beaten up while celebrating on Copacabana Beach (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/judo-medalist-beat-up-while-celebrating-on-copacabana-beach-234727753.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=fb)
Henry Bushnell Aug 9, 2016, 4:47 PM

http://l3.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/RkXWpNzdj8wtsC5fpZeO9g--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NzQ0O2g9NDgxO2lsPX BsYW5l/https://66.media.tumblr.com/19fa5750bf864fe2d6259a7b0717dda5/tumblr_inline_obobsbHbf51uo0wk6_1280.jpg
Dirk van Tichelt won his first Olympic judo medal Monday. (Getty)

Dirk Van Tichelt probably didn’t envision one of the greatest days of his life ending in the hospital. But that’s exactly where the Belgian judoka found himself Monday night hours after winning his first-ever Olympic medal.

Van Tichelt won bronze in the 73-kg judo competition on Monday. Naturally, he went off to Copacabana Beach that night to celebrate the achievement. And that’s where things went awry.

Van Tichelt was reportedly assaulted by a thief on the famous beach, and was struck in the face. He was taken to the hospital after the incident.

The thief, who was reportedly Brazilian, came away with a cellphone, but, crucially, not with a bronze medal. That allowed Van Tichelt to take this epic picture the following day:

sporza (https://twitter.com/sporza/status/763127844922859520/photo/1) ✔@sporza
Dief in Rio steelt gsm en slaat Dirk Van Tichelt. Gevolg: blauw oog voor onze bronzen plak: http://sporza.be/permalink/1.2735240 …

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpcsnxhXYAEC2tI.jpg
2:40 PM - 9 Aug 2016
58 58 Retweets 55 55 likes

The Belgian Olympic Committee released a statement confirming the details, and saying that Van Tichelt didn’t require treatment at the hospital. He appeared at a media event the next day with a black eye, and, undoubtedly, a smile on his face.

Van Tichelt now has more than just a medal to commemorate his Olympic success.

Waiting for the "Olympic Judo doesn't work on the street" comment. :rolleyes:

GeneChing
09-19-2016, 09:43 AM
It's exactly this sort of stuff that gives Kung Fu such a bad rep. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJjfBJUyQLc

sanjuro_ronin
09-19-2016, 12:14 PM
I don't know, I think that guys Constipated Crane was the perfect counter for that other guys Pregnant Yak technique.

Jimbo
09-19-2016, 12:19 PM
I thought it looked like Sleepwalking Bagua vs. Broken Arm Ape style.

Jimbo
09-21-2016, 08:09 AM
Let's be fair now. Lame "kung fu" fights don't only happen in China.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f6wtzHyOU0&sns=em

Cataphract
09-23-2016, 12:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9b1fzQwClI

boxerbilly
09-25-2016, 11:48 AM
Let's be fair now. Lame "kung fu" fights don't only happen in China.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f6wtzHyOU0&sns=em

I wish that's what all my encounters would have been like.

Jimbo
09-26-2016, 03:49 PM
I wish that's what all my encounters would have been like.

I suppose so, Billy. At least nobody in the vid got hurt.

My perception of this is that the taller guy was mostly 'having fun' and playing around at the shorter guy's expense, and the shorter guy was really ****ed about it and wanted to fight, but couldn't.

GeneChing
04-11-2018, 09:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5LwL3-31NY

GeneChing
09-07-2018, 07:32 AM
Lawsuit: Sword-fighting student sues instructor for stabbing him in eye and brain (https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2018/09/man_stabbed_through_the_eye_by.html)
Updated Sep 6, 9:54 AM; Posted Sep 5

https://expo.advance.net/img/392f46db3e/width960/02d_sword1.jpeg
A pair of swords is pictured on Swordguild Portland's Facebook page. It's unclear what type of sword Jeremiah DuPrau alleges he was injured with during a March 2017 class.

https://expo.advance.net/img/869f04c25d/width960/93c_sword2.jpeg
A photo on Swordguild Portland's Facebook page shows two dueling people. They are also shown wearing protective gear.

https://expo.advance.net/img/a20d717cad/width960/08f_sword3.jpeg
Another photo from the Facebook page shows two people in combat.
By Aimee Green agreen@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

A 35-year-old man who says he was stabbed in the eye by his instructor during a sword-fighting class at the Milwaukie Elks Lodge has filed a $9 million lawsuit against his instructor and the organization that offered the class.

Jeremiah DuPrau describes in his lawsuit how his life has been irreparably changed: The sword not only pierced his eye but also his brain and shattered the bones of his face.

He now is legally blind, unable to see through his right eye and retaining only some of his vision in his left, according to his attorney, John Coletti.

DuPrau’s lawsuit lists the instructor of his sword class, Jason Romandelle Brown, as a defendant along with Swordguild Portland and the Elks’ Milwaukie Portland Lodge No. 142 as defendants. Brown couldn’t be reached for comment.

Sia Rezvani, a Portland attorney for Swordguild Portland, declined comment because of the pending litigation. Thomas Rask, a Portland attorney for the Elks lodge, also declined comment because of the active litigation.

DuPrau's lawyer said his client was attending his third class as a beginner student on March 9, 2017. That's when the instructor called DuPrau over to use as a prop to demonstrate a move for the rest of the class and jutted the sword into DuPrau's eye, according to the lawsuit.

Coletti said Brown didn’t warn DuPrau to put on his protective headgear and face screen beforehand.

“He’s unable to drive, unable to ride his bike, unable to hike,” Coletti said of DuPrau. “He actually had to give his dog away because he was unable to take care of it.”

DuPrau suffered a stroke after the sword entered his brain -- leaving the left side of his body partially paralyzed and making walking and balance difficult, Coletti said.

DuPrau worked as an educational aide for Portland Public Schools, Coletti said. School district officials couldn’t immediately verify whether DuPrau was back at work.

Read the lawsuit, filed last week, here (http://media.oregonlive.com/portland_impact/other/sword.lawsuit.pdf).

-- Aimee Green

agreen@oregonian.com

o_aimee

THREADS:
Martial FAIL (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?61860-Martial-FAIL)
European Martial Arts (Armored combat: HEMA, HMB, IMCF, SCA, et.al) (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68492-European-Martial-Arts-(Armored-combat-HEMA-HMB-IMCF-SCA-et-al))

GeneChing
10-18-2018, 02:52 PM
...did her son tap?

Woman accused of using Jiu Jitsu move to get cellphone from son (https://news4sanantonio.com/news/offbeat/woman-accused-of-using-jiu-jitsu-move-to-get-cellphone-from-son?fbclid=IwAR2pogHAZ9bgdp9zQ_MUCYXxSkBWikkuFN7fs c7mXnee6ePms31R__laV9I)
by Gary Detman, Kristen Chapman Wednesday, October 17th 2018
Tracy Shelley is facing a charge of child abuse. (PBSO)

BOYNTON BEACH, Fla. (CBS12) — A woman from Boynton Beach is facing a child abuse charge after police say she used a martial arts move to take away her son's cellphone.

Tracy Shelley told police since she and her husband separated, her son has not been following the house rules and has been disrespectful at her home.

According to the police report, Shelley said she went to get his cellphone since he'd been using it for several hours. He refused to give it up. Shelley said she put him in a "submission" hold using a Jiu Jitsu move with both her arms around his head and neck. He gave up the phone and she released the hold.

Investigators said the boy claimed he never lost consciousness but had red marks on his neck.

Shelley is free on bond, per court records.

CBS12 News knocked on Shelley’s door, but no one answered.

Neighbors say Shelley is a very nice woman, and it must have been a misunderstanding.

The conflict has since sparked a conversation about parenting and where to draw the line.

“Boy, I’ve never heard of anything like that," said Vicki Shall, a mother of two. "I can see disciplining and taking the phone away, but past that, something's not right.”

"It [the arrest] sounds a little extreme," said Patricia Knobel, another parent. "Parents have a right to discipline their kids, but obviously without hurting them.”

CBS12 News has requested the 911 call from Boynton Beach Police.

GeneChing
01-25-2019, 09:20 AM
This isn't really a 'fail' per se. No style can really beat a gun, even in the hands of a 12-year-old.

Such a tragedy. :(

Texas Boy, 12, Allegedly Killed Professional Boxer After Breaking Into His Home (https://people.com/crime/texas-boy-allegedly-killed-professional-boxer/)

https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/john-vanmeter-2.jpg?w=2000
John VanMeter John VanMeter/Facebook

KAREN MIZOGUCHI January 24, 2019 05:20 PM
A 12-year-old boy has been charged with capital murder in Texas in connection with the shooting death of a professional boxer.

The victim, 24-year-old John Duane VanMeter, was shot in his home Wednesday night, according to a statement from the Uvalde Police Department.

VanMeter’s girlfriend called 911 saying someone broke into his residence and shot him, authorities said. When officers arrived, VanMeter was found lying in the living room with a gunshot wound to the head.

The couple heard someone trying to kick in their door before VanMeter went to see what was going on, as reported by the Uvalde-Leader News. His girlfriend was in the bedroom when she heard a gunshot.

The young boxer, who was nicknamed “The California Kid,” was transported to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Witnesses told authorities that a male dressed in all black with a black bandana over his face was seen running from the home where VanMeter was shot.

https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/john-vanmeter-1.jpg
John VanMeter John VanMeter/Facebook

VanMeter had been boxing since he was 10 and had been boxing professionally since 2015, according to the Leader-News.

The local Ortiz Boxing Gym mourned VanMeter’s death on Facebook.

“We are at a loss for words. It’s a sad sad night, not just for Tree City Boxing, but for our entire community. Please keep the VanMeters in your prayers,” the gym wrote along with a photo of VanMeter.

“[Our] deepest condolences go out to the Vanmeter family we lost not only a great boxer but also a great friend always willing to help out upcoming fighters Rest Easy Champ,” the gym said in another post along with a video of VanMeter training with a fellow boxer.

The suspect is being held at a juvenile detention facility. It is unclear if he has retained a lawyer who can comment on his behalf.

Under Texas law, children under the age of 14 cannot be tried as adults for first-degree felonies.

GeneChing
02-01-2019, 01:08 PM
WTH?

Police looking for ‘Karate Kid’ thief in South Carolina (https://wtvr.com/2019/02/01/police-looking-for-karate-kid-thief-in-south-carolina/)
POSTED 1:01 PM, FEBRUARY 1, 2019, BY TRIBUNE MEDIA WIRE

https://localtvwghp.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/51287923_2562669997120882_3254181249983447040_o-1.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&strip=all
(Swansea Police Department)

SWANSEA, S.C. — Police are trying to find a man with what they’re calling a “unique ritual he uses before he commits a larceny.”

The man, caught on camera taking a purse, appears to emulate a pose from the 1984 classic “The Karate Kid.”

“As you’ll see in the screen shots this subject likes to perform Mr Miyagi’s Crane Technique made famous by Daniel LaRusso in the All Valley Under 18 Karate Championship,” the Swansea Police Department wrote in a Facebook post.

The suspect is accused of stealing a purse from another vehicle at a BP gas station on Saturday.

https://localtvwghp.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/51129469_2562670207120861_8831484291461414912_o.jp g?quality=85&strip=all&strip=all
(Swansea Police Department)

The police department also had a few notes they added as hashtags to the post: “Mr. Miyagi wouldn’t approve,” “Not the next Karate Kid” and “Don’t be ninjaing people that don’t need ninjaing.”

Police are asking anyone who knows the the man to contact the Swansea Police Department at (803) 568-3366, dispatch at (803) 785-2521, Midlands Crime Stoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC or send them message over Facebook.

Swansea Police Department - "Home of the Tigers" (https://www.facebook.com/swanseapd/posts/2562670230454192)
on Tuesday
The Swansea Police Department would like you help in identifying the subject pictured in the orange shirt. He stole a purse from another vehicle at the BP on 1-26-2019. He was driving a Black Toyota Tundra with a Paper Tag. He has a unique ritual he uses before he commits a larceny. As you'll see in the screen shots this subject likes to perform Mr Miyagi's Crane Technique made famous by Daniel LaRusso in the All Valley Under 18 Karate Championship. If you know this subject please contact Swansea Police Department at 803-568-3366, Dispatch at 803-785-2521, Midlands Crime Stoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC, or send us a message.

#MrMiyagiWouldntApprove
#NotTheNextKarateKid
#DontBeNinjaingPeopleThatDontNeedNinjaing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEF3hRC-EZc

THREADS
Martial FAIL (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?61860-Martial-FAIL)
The Karate Kid (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?48261-The-Karate-Kid)

GeneChing
03-01-2019, 09:22 AM
You may have read about the alleged jogger that RNCed a mountain lion to death recently. Some MMA sites jumped on that: here (https://www.mmamania.com/2019/2/6/18213245/midnight-mania-trail-runner-chokes-out-mountain-lion-with-bare-hands-in-self-defense) &here (https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2019/2/5/18211904/runner-killed-mountain-lion-bare-hands-colorado) - more if I search more.

Here's the real story.

Fri, Mar 01, 2019
MOUNTAIN LION KILLED BY COLORADO RUNNER WITH BARE HANDS WAS A 'KITTEN' THREE TO FOUR MONTHS OLD (https://www.newsweek.com/mountain-lion-colorado-runner-kitten-1348668)
BY ARISTOS GEORGIOU ON 3/1/19 AT 6:43 AM

Last month, Colorado trail runner Travis Kauffman killed a mountain lion with his bare hands after being attacked, in an incident that garnered widespread media attention.

Now, veterinarians from Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CWS) in Fort Collins have revealed the results of a necropsy, concluding that the animal in question was a juvenile or “kitten” likely aged between three and four months, The Coloradoan reported.

The vets estimated that the feline—which was probably male—would have weighed between 35 to 40 pounds when alive. However, the current weight of the body was around 24 pounds due to the fact it had been heavily scavenged.

The report suggests that the scavenging took place at or around the time of death, likely by other mountain lions that were its siblings—as evidenced by teeth marks on the bones.

Officials said they found abundant dried blood between the animal’s paw pads, as well as around its nose and mouth. It also had abrasions and bruising on the top of its head, nose and above the right eye. Meanwhile, its larynx and trachea showed signs of significant injury.

Despite these injuries and the scavenging, vets concluded that the animal was healthy and did not have any diseases when it died.

Kauffman, 31, was attacked by the lion on February 4 while running in Horsetooth Mountain Park.

“I heard some pine needles ruffle behind me and luckily I was able to actually turn my head and it was a mountain lion,” Kauffman told CWS. “One of my worst fears was confirmed and my heart sank into my stomach.”

“It kept approaching and lunged at me, so I threw my arms up and it latched onto my wrist, so I was kinda protecting my face,” he said. “Then It started clawing along my face and then my legs and I was just kinda screaming the whole time.”

Kauffman—who stands at five-feet-10 and weighs 150 pounds—then tried to throw the animal off him and a wrestling match ensued. Eventually, the 31-year-old managed to hit the lion on the head with a rock before stepping on its throat and killing it.

While the animal was described as a kitten, this simply means that it was not fully mature. Officials said the cat still posed a danger to Kauffman, so he was justified in defending himself.

Adult male mountain lions typically measure between 6 and 8 feet in length and normally weigh anywhere from 100 to 180 pounds, according to mountainlion.org. They are reclusive animals and tend to avoid humans, although attacks do happen on very rare occasions. In fact, they are becoming more frequent as humans increasingly encroach on their territory.

The U.S. Forest Service offers the following guidelines for staying safe in mountain lion country, as well as advice over what to do in the event of an encounter:

"Do not hike alone. Go in groups, with adults supervising children."
"Avoid dawn and dusk excursions."
"Keep children close to you. Animals seem especially drawn to children."
"Pick up small children. The mountain lion will see small children as easier prey."
"Do not approach a lion. Most mountain lions will try to avoid confrontation, so give them a way to escape."
"Do not run from a lion. Running may stimulate a mountain lion's instinct to chase."
"Do not crouch down or bend over. A human standing does not resemble a mountain lion's natural prey."
"Do all you can to appear larger. Raise your arms. Open your jacket if you are wearing one. Wave your arms slowly and speak firmly in a loud voice."
"Fight back if attacked. Mountain lions usually try to bite the head or neck; try to remain standing and face the attacking animal."
mountain lion

https://s.newsweek.com/sites/www.newsweek.com/files/styles/embed_tablet/public/2019/03/01/mountain-lion.jpg
Travis Kauffman was attacked by a mountain lion on February 4.
ISTOCK

REQUEST REPRINT OR SUBMIT CORRECTION
Ads by Revcontent
Promoted Links

Jimbo
03-01-2019, 01:54 PM
You may have read about the alleged jogger that RNCed a mountain lion to death recently. Some MMA sites jumped on that: here (https://www.mmamania.com/2019/2/6/18213245/midnight-mania-trail-runner-chokes-out-mountain-lion-with-bare-hands-in-self-defense) &here (https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2019/2/5/18211904/runner-killed-mountain-lion-bare-hands-colorado) - more if I search more.

Here's the real story.

I was wondering when BJJ/MMA pundits were going to jump on this one. When in reality it has absolutely nothing at all to do with Jiu-Jitsu or any MA, for that matter. It was simply instinctual survival. And he was extremely lucky that it was a kitten.

I am aware of situations in which people have used folding knives (in one instance, a Spyderco Caly 3 knife, and in another, a Buck 112 folding hunter) to kill mountain lions in defense of either themselves or others. And it usually happened while the mountain lion was pre-occupied with another person. But the idea of using MMA/BJJ to kill a wild, adult, attacking mountain lion is ridiculous, and the fact that some reported it as such shows a real lack of professional journalism. It could also potentially get someone maimed or killed out of over-confidence. It shows how far some people will go to try to confirm their own biases.

GeneChing
03-04-2019, 09:26 AM
It turns out that Colorado jogger strangled a 24-pound baby mountain lion that may have been orphaned and starving (https://www.thisisinsider.com/colorado-jogger-may-killed-baby-mountain-lion-2019-2?utm_content=bufferd4d5d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-insider-main&fbclid=IwAR0uZBugbO0YqjjoMhfZWjH9qBMka-8zXGfgitb7rHduAtCTBSArsVJq_5Idium=fb&fbclid=IwAR37tZsufQpYkEpNUuMAiCIfat6L4gmNfjXfRCYs2 B2XI3Kvca1CPQgo-es)
Aylin Woodward Mar. 1, 2019, 11:33 AM

https://amp.thisisinsider.com/images/5c672f30eb3ce84b364b7333-1536-1152.jpg
Travis Kauffman responds to questions during a news conference in Fort Collins, Colorado, about his encounter with a mountain lion while jogging. AP Photo/David Zalubowski

On February 4, Travis Kauffman was jogging in Horsetooth Mountain Park in Colorado when he was attacked by a mountain lion.
Kauffman managed to kill the animal by jamming his foot into the lion's neck, suffocating it, then hiked out to a nearby hospital.
A final necropsy revealed that the mountain lion was only 3 or 4 months old and weighed 24 pounds.
Human-mountain lion interactions are rare, but tend to occur when a lion is orphaned or gets pushed into the margins of its habitat by other adult males.
When 31-year-old Travis Kauffman went to Horseshoe Mountain Park for a run on February 4, he didn't expect to fight for his life with a cougar.

Kauffman, who's 5-foot-10 and weighs 150 pounds, said at a press conference with Colorado Parks and Wildlife that he heard pine needles rustling on the trail behind him.

"I stopped and turned," he told KUNC radio, then realized that the sound had come from a mountain lion. The cat lunged, clamped its jaws on Kauffman's wrist, and clawed at his face and neck, Kauffman said.

After struggling with the animal, Kauffman told KUNC, he was able to pin the mountain lion's legs and get purchase on the cat's throat.

"I got my right foot onto its neck," he said. "And then I was able to get some weight onto its windpipe and that's what eventually suffocated it."

Wildlife officials recovered the animal's corpse after the incident, though the body had been cannibalized by other mountain lions, according to the Denver Post.

Officials initially guessed that the mountain lion weighed about 35 to 40 pounds and was a year old. But now, a final necropsy has revealed that the cat was even younger and smaller than those early estimates.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife veterinarians identified the dead lion as a "kitten" that weighed 24 pounds and was about 3 to 4 months old, according to the Coloradoan.

That information gives credence to a possible explanation for why this encounter happened: The young mountain lion may have been orphaned or starving, or both.

Why a mountain lion might attack a human

Mountain lions are ambush hunters; they wait in rocky crevices or vegetation for prey to skitter by, then pounce. They're known to hunt coyotes, raccoons, rodents, elk, feral hogs, and even porcupines. But human-mountain lion interactions are very rare. You are more likely to drown in your bathtub, be killed by a pet dog, or hit by lightning, according to the Mountain Lion Foundation.

"Lions hunt four-legged prey, and humans are not typically in their diet," Mike Porrass from Colorado Parks and Wildlife told the Denver Post.

Getting enough to eat can be challenging for juvenile lions, though. Dominant males may kill young lions that enter their territories, so juveniles sometimes have to eke out a living in marginal habitats, according to the National Park Service. That can lead them to starve, perhaps getting hungry enough to risk a confrontation with humans.

Mountain lion attacks on livestock or pets usually involve a hungry juvenile that has been pushed into a marginal habitat.

"Evidence shows that the hungrier an animal is, not just a mountain lion but other animals too, the more likely it is to hunt in a suburban area," Mark Elbroch, director of the puma program at Panthera, a wild-cat conservation organization, told INSIDER.

Where was mom?

The primary factor that helps young mountain lions avoid conflict and starvation is the same as that of many other animals: a mother.

Mountain lions, like all big cats, have a learning period to develop the requisite skills for killing or subduing prey. The largest cats have the longest learning curve, Elbroch said — "that's one of the reasons they stay with their moms the longest."

According to the National Park Service, mountain lions become capable hunters at six months, but remain with their mother for another year after that, finally leaving at 18 months to fend for themselves. Cougars any younger than that are generally still being taught what is and isn't cougar prey.

So this cat shouldn't have been hunting alone.

https://amp.thisisinsider.com/images/5c673117eb3ce814900cfc03-480-360.jpg
Mountain lions typically eat elk, raccoons, and porcupines, not humans.KRO-Media via Flickr

"Regardless of whether it's six months or a year old, it should be with mom," Elbroch told INSIDER before the animal's age was confirmed. That's why his first question after news of the encounter emerged was, "was it with mom?"

During the fight, Kauffman said, he was waiting for other cats to burst through the trees and join in, but none came.

Wildlife officials set up cameras in the area where Kauffman and the kitten tussled, but they never saw a mother lion.

Instead, the cameras helped them notice two other young mountain lions lurking nearby.

Officers caught these other mountain lions, which are thought to be the dead kitten's siblings, with the intent of rehabilitating and returning them to the wild, the Denver Post reported.

An encounter with a bigger mountain lion could have been worse
Elbroch noted another instance in which a young mountain lion was observed to be fending for itself without a mother. That cat wound up significantly undersized by the time it was one year old.

"This lion was orphaned as a youngster and had a starvation period," he said of that case. "It stunted her growth."

The lion that attacked Kauffman may have faced a similar struggle, Elbroch said. A comparable hypothesis was also floated last year to explain why two bikers in Washington state were attacked by a mountain lion.

But in the case of the year-old undersized mountain lion, Elbroch noted, the cat never went near anything as big as a human.

"She only went for a porcupine, and it killed her," he said.

If the Colorado attack had involved an older or larger mountain lion, Elbroch added, it would have been harder for Kauffman to fend it off because the animal would have been "a lot heavier and a heck of a lot stronger."

But an adult would not have been any more skilled or efficient at attacking a human.

"No mountain lion has practice hunting people," Elbroch said.

I was wondering when BJJ/MMA pundits were going to jump on this one. When in reality it has absolutely nothing at all to do with Jiu-Jitsu or any MA, for that matter. It was simply instinctual survival. And he was extremely lucky that it was a kitten.
Right? From badass MMA fighter mountain man to kitten killer.

GeneChing
04-16-2019, 08:47 AM
Woman does karate, son gets naked, dog steals cornbread at Walmart, police say (https://mynbc15.com/news/offbeat/woman-does-karate-son-gets-naked-dog-steals-cornbread-at-walmart-police-say)
by JACK HELEAN, WPMI Saturday, April 13th 2019

https://mynbc15.com/resources/media/a9c3d875-8189-4837-8477-a1e600fe87f1-large16x9_eauclaire.png?1555164472875
Woman does karate, son gets naked, dog steals cornbread at Walmart, police say (img: Eau Claire Police Department)

EAU CLAIRE, WI (WPMI) - Lisa Smith, 46, and her 25-year-old son Benny Vann are under arrest after causing a scene at a Walmart this week, according to Wisconsin police.

The Eau Claire Police Department even said their dog Bo was in on the action.

Officers said the woman brought the dog into the store without a leash and Bo was running freely around the store, which prompted other customers to call police.

Reportedly, Bo got a box of Jiffy Cornbread Muffin Mix and tried to leave the store.

When officers responded they said they arrived to find Smith tearing apart displays at the store and after they finally got her outside, she began doing karate moves in the parking lot. Meanwhile, Vann allegedly stripped off all his clothes inside the Walmart and exposed himself to to the other customers.

Officers were able to subdue and arrest Smith, however she allegedly kicked out a patrol car window once she was in the backseat.

Police said Vann van tried to cover himself up with clothes from the Walmart racks when officers arrived, unfortunately for him it's considered shoplifting if you don't pay for them.

When officers approached him, Vann allegedly attempted to run them over in a motorized scooter. However they were able to stop the scooter and arrested him.

Vann has been charged with lewd and lascivious behavior, disorderly conduct and retail theft.

Smith is charged with disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and misdemeanor bail jumping.

Police did not charge Bo. He was let off with a warning.

Good for Bo?

Jimbo
04-16-2019, 10:08 AM
She's only 46? Holy crap. I would've guessed she was over 70.

Then again, drug addicts tend to age badly.

GeneChing
11-03-2020, 01:39 PM
Do. Or do not. There is no threaten...

Joliet Man, 68, Tasered After He Threatens Martial Arts: Police (https://patch.com/illinois/joliet/joliet-man-68-tasered-after-he-threatens-martial-arts-police)
Leon Williams was also incarcerated in the Will County Jail for eight days in October, jail logs show.
By John Ferak, Patch Staff
Verified Patch Staff Badge
Nov 2, 2020 10:45 am CT

https://patch.com/img/cdn20/users/22944156/20201102/112231/styles/patch_image/public/leonwilliams20___02112153855.png?width=695
Leon Williams of Joliet was arrested again. (Mugshot via Joliet Police Department )

JOLIET, IL — Joliet police used a Taser to subdue 68-year-old Leon Williams on Saturday afternoon after police say he touched a woman inside the Dunkin' restaurant on South Larkin Avenue and then threatened to use martial arts moves on Joliet officers responding to the call.

In the end, officers hauled Williams away in handcuffs, charging him with battery, criminal trespass to property, two counts of obstructing a peace officer, aggravated assault, possession of drug paraphernalia and disorderly conduct.

Williams was ultimately released by police on an I-bond, reports show.

Saturday's incident occurred around 12:40 p.m. in the unit block of South Larkin Avenue.

"Officers learned that Williams had entered the store and approached a female customer from behind and grabbed her shoulders," police reports reveal. "Officers repeatedly requested Williams leave the store and he refused. Williams became belligerent and threatened to use martial arts moves on the officers."

When Joliet police tried to remove Williams from the store, he struggled with them and officers used their Taser to subdue him, reports show.

The Taser was effective and Williams was taken away without any more problems, police said.

However, "officers recovered a pipe used for smoking drugs in a coat pocket of Williams. Williams was transported to the Joliet Police Department for booking of the above charges," reports reflect.

According to the Will County Jail logs, Williams was in custody from Oct. 6 until Oct. 14 after Joliet police arrested him on charges of retail theft, possession of drug paraphernalia and criminal trespass to land.

GeneChing
10-20-2023, 03:02 PM
A cautionary tale too amusing not to post somewhere on our forum here.

‘Watched too many kung fu films’: man in China who tried to suck girlfriend’s stray cat wound clean needs rabies jab, landed with costly medical bill (https://www.scmp.com/news/people-culture/trending-china/article/3238314/watched-too-many-kung-fu-films-man-china-who-tried-suck-girlfriends-stray-cat-wound-clean-needs)
Impulsive student takes dangerous course of action after girlfriend scratched by stray cat
Doctors say move to suck poison from wound was misguided, left him exposed to serious threat of rabies
Yating Yang

Published: 2:00pm, 20 Oct, 2023

A brave yet misguided man in China has been left with a huge medical bill – and become the subject of amusement online – after he tried to suck the poison from a wound inflicted on his girlfriend by a stray cat.

The young man, identified as Jia, undertook the dangerous course of action on October 14 when his girlfriend was scratched by the cat.

On impulse, and taking his cue from snake bite scenes he had watched in TV dramas, Jia, who is a university student in Nanchang, Jiangxi province in southeastern China, proceeded to try to suck the wound clean.

In an interview with Litchi News, Jia said: “Because she’s my girlfriend, I felt heartache. I had the idea that we should share blessings and difficulties in our relationship.

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/1200x800/public/d8/images/canvas/2023/10/20/5cb3e137-6a1a-4431-8646-bbb4c2be7c33_c23a441a.jpg?itok=hnumuSLF&v=1697764449
The foolhardy boyfriend saw the wound and immediately tried to suck it clean. Photo: Weibo
“So I thought I could suck out the poison for her. Little did I know it would turn out to be as dangerous as the doctor later explained.”

Jia was later informed that his actions had exposed him to a Level Three threat of rabies, the most dangerous level.

He and his girlfriend were given a costly vaccine cocktail which included anti-rabies medicine and immunoglobulin.

His medical bill for the rabies jab and the immunoglobulin came to 1,116 yuan (US$153). The total cost for both he and his girlfriend was more.

Jia was able to see the funny side though, he said: “Just one lick from my mouth cost me 1,500 yuan!”

Chi Yun, Director of the Infectious Diseases Department II at Tangshan Branch of The Second Hospital of Nanjing, said: “This rabies virus binds to nerve cells, so the more abundant the nerve cells in the exposed area, the higher the risk of infection. Areas like the lips and fingertips, among others, have rich nerve endings.”

She advised against using the mouth to clean wounds and recommended rinsing the injury with clean water if soap is unavailable. A rabies jab is crucial to effect recovery.

This story has caught the imagination of online observers.

One person quipped: “He must have watched too many Chinese kung fu movies and assumed he could suck out the poison with his mouth.”

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/d8/images/canvas/2023/10/18/78cf6f05-ff27-432e-9b33-fe27caed96f9_4ec69aa4.jpg
Medical experts have warned that sucking or licking a wound inflicted by a stray cat carries a serious risk of contracting the deadly rabies virus. Photo: Weibo
“Let’s clarify that using your mouth to suck out venom after a snakebite is also counterproductive. The person doing the sucking might end up getting poisoned and the one who was bitten might not die,” another person added.

A third commented: “This guy truly loves his girlfriend, but he’s a bit lacking in common sense.”

“I understand that people in love might have their intelligence temporarily blocked,” said another.