PDA

View Full Version : Hak Fu Mun - Chong Wei Kune

jmd161
09-15-2011, 09:54 AM
A clip of one of our forms...

I'd like to hear any thoughts from the CLF and Lama guys on if they see any similarities?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKiijTgys3w

Ben Gash
09-15-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure with this one. While Kam Kong Kuen is very obviously Hop Gar, this one does have stuff that screams CLF. The stepping Jongs and the Sow Geurk/Dot Chui combinations are very CLF.

CLFNole
09-15-2011, 10:27 AM
This just further proves the cross pollenation of southern styles. Some moves do scream CLF but done maybe with different waist or shoulder power generation or a slightly different stance, which goes back to every style has their own flavor and flow.

jmd161
09-15-2011, 10:39 AM
This is a bit different from how we do it... We use more waist power generation and slightly different on some of the techniques. This is a training brother in Oz and several generations behind my sifu...

soulfist
09-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Good form Id say but its not complete and missing many moves, and a few are confused with other forms with similar sections. Wong Cheung's motion is loose like this presented but each move he did very clearly and finished properly before the next one started.

Lama has only slight relation through Wong Cheung's Hung Ga but even though there are many CLF moves and techniques they take on a different essence in Hak Fu Mun. Its a huge composite style in terms of techniques but the spirits of Hung Ga, CLF, Hung Fut, Bagua, etc. are not present in Hak Fu, it has its own spirit.

jmd161
09-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Good form Id say but its not complete and missing many moves, and a few are confused with other forms with similar sections. Wong Cheung's motion is loose like this presented but each move he did very clearly and finished properly before the next one started.

Lama has only slight relation through Wong Cheung's Hung Ga but even though there are many CLF moves and techniques they take on a different essence in Hak Fu Mun. Its a huge composite style in terms of techniques but the spirits of Hung Ga, CLF, Hung Fut, Bagua, etc. are not present in Hak Fu, it has its own spirit.

Agreed!

My sifu is quick to point out these differences... and why we do things the way we do. You seem to know quite a bit about Hak Fu and GM Wong Cheung... have you studied Hak Fu?

Sigung Wong Cheung I've only seen through old video footage and he was up in age in the footage... but truly was amazing even at that age! Smooth, loose and detailed all seem like understatements...

Ben Gash
09-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Lama has only slight relation through Wong Cheung's Hung Ga
How do you explain Kam Kong Kuen? Even the name points to it's origin, which is clearly a Tibetan crane variant.

soulfist
09-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Agreed!

My sifu is quick to point out these differences... and why we do things the way we do. You seem to know quite a bit about Hak Fu and GM Wong Cheung... have you studied Hak Fu?

Sigung Wong Cheung I've only seen through old video footage and he was up in age in the footage... but truly was amazing even at that age! Smooth, loose and detailed all seem like understatements...

Ive studied Hak Fu with the Hong Kong group, started nearly 2 decades ago and we are still going! Wong Cheung wasnt a particularly powerful man, his talent was in his mind and understanding of the usage of kung fu. He built a very interesting system!

jmd161
09-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Ive studied Hak Fu with the Hong Kong group, started nearly 2 decades ago and we are still going! Wong Cheung wasnt a particularly powerful man, his talent was in his mind and understanding of the usage of kung fu. He built a very interesting system!

You can say that again!

It's amazing to sit and talk with sifu (Fred Woo) about Sigung and watch his eyes still light up to this day! Sigung really touched him deeply... as he still refers to Sigung as " My Master!"

I'm glad to hear the Hong Kong group is still going strong... I'd heard something about the Gym/school closing. Sifu talks of him and Sigung constantly going over techniques and working to find better methods and techniques like Sigung's shuffling footwork.

soulfist
09-18-2011, 12:50 AM
You can say that again!

It's amazing to sit and talk with sifu (Fred Woo) about Sigung and watch his eyes still light up to this day! Sigung really touched him deeply... as he still refers to Sigung as " My Master!"

I'm glad to hear the Hong Kong group is still going strong... I'd heard something about the Gym/school closing. Sifu talks of him and Sigung constantly going over techniques and working to find better methods and techniques like Sigung's shuffling footwork.

Our group has always been here, but many have said that all Hak Fu schools have closed down in Hong Kong and all the teachers left. I dont think thats too fair because all the Hak Fu teachers know our group and know that we never stop.

jmd161
09-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Our group has always been here, but many have said that all Hak Fu schools have closed down in Hong Kong and all the teachers left. I dont think thats too fair because all the Hak Fu teachers know our group and know that we never stop.

Sifu has told me there are many with the skill to teach in Hong Kong... just not many of them teaching it seems... In any case... I'm glad to hear you guys are going strong! It would be a shame to let this style and Sigung Wong Cheungs teachings go to the waste side.

Firehawk4
09-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Finaly somebody has shown these kicks in a form i have been looking for something like this for years but never seen it is this chian kicks like Wing Chun is suppose to have ? I have not seen this in Wing Chun at all but i thought they had this but never seen it not in Hung Gar or Choy Lay Fut all i ever seen was punches and a few kicks here and there is this Tam Toi style wich is in your Black Tiger System ?

jmd161
09-18-2011, 03:54 PM
is this Tam Toi style wich is in your Black Tiger System ?

Can't say I know of any relation with Tam Toi... I've never heard of any Tam Toi within Hak Fu.

jdhowland
09-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Doesn't look like any Lama I've seen. The back isn't opened enough. Nice video, though. A little more yiu faat and I could imagine a relationship with CLF.