PDA

View Full Version : Starting out

Johnny Hot Shot
10-31-2001, 11:08 PM
Ok guy's I just got placed with a little brother and he and his mother are both interested in him starting martial Arts training.

Now I already have some idea of where to send him but I would just like to see what you all think and where would you want to start out if you had to do it all over again.

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

Kung Lek
10-31-2001, 11:09 PM
at the beginning :D

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Johnny Hot Shot
10-31-2001, 11:13 PM
Pretty Smart ass reply Kung Lek.

Seriously though.
Would you want to start learning Tae Kwon do to get really good kicks then move on to a more well rounded art. Or dive straight into a very traditional Hung Gar school.?

Jacko Jackson

EARTH DRAGON
10-31-2001, 11:32 PM
do not waste your time with tae kwon do if you have another choice. Hungar would be much better, he will learn kicks there to but much more practical ones, plus the end result will be positive and he wont have to learn all over again if he chooses to learn another CMA or stick with it for a long time.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Johnny Hot Shot
10-31-2001, 11:37 PM
True enough and my thoughts as well I just wanted to post it out there to see what the monkey gallery has to say.
I'm meeting with Sifu Cunningham a traditional Hung Gar "Master" tonight to discuss the details of my "little's" joining his school.

My thinking is that it is best to have solid roots to begin. You can allways ad the flashy stuff later , if you feel you need it.

Jacko Jackson

Water Dragon
10-31-2001, 11:47 PM
Get him into a boxing gym for 6-9 months. Branch out from there.

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

Johnny Hot Shot
10-31-2001, 11:50 PM
Why the gym to start?

Jacko Jackson

CD Lee
10-31-2001, 11:50 PM
Hot Shot...still smarting from your comments, but I'll heal.

I have wondered the same thing, I have kids, and I think the nature or emotional make-up of your child could have some part to play in your decision. It has got to be fun for them, or they will just not do it.

I let my kid do a MMA class, that was pretty lame due to the instructor, but they got to wrestle, learn sweeps, self-defence moves, and other stuff. He loved it, and now I am thinking of what I could put him into to progress. He surprises me. He is not athletic, but he can wrestle like a terrier? I think TKD is a waste of time. Not to knock a style, I have done some, it is just, I would never use what I learned in a real fight. Too risky when I have to win.

Do you guys think CMA is too boring for a 10 yr old kid, or 11? Maybe start with Wing Chun?

Good luck Hot Shot

Water Dragon
10-31-2001, 11:54 PM
Boxing will give him good defense skills in a short amount of time. Besides the practical aspect to that, if he is confident that he can defend himself, he will have more patience with CMA which takes longer to achieve results.

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

Shaolin36
10-31-2001, 11:59 PM
I would want my child to start out in Kung Fu, This give us the body coordination and foundation to study an other style.

shaolinboxer
11-01-2001, 12:02 AM
For 10 to 11 year old, Tae Kwon Do is great. It'll make them flexible and the kicking is fun and energetic.

Boxing is fine, but it is dangerous. Tae Kwon Do will open him up to sparring without the danger of serious head shots.

As far as traditional kung fu, I would have been bored out of my skull at 11. If you want to steer him towards kung fu, I suggest WuShu.

Johnny Hot Shot
11-01-2001, 12:02 AM
he's 14 in two weeks and he's at the piont in his life where he could go either way. I mean he could turn out to be a good kid or a Fu(k up.

This is going to sound funny but I don't really care about the self defence aspect of the Martial Arts in this case. I am more concerned with the discipline and charater building that I don't think you gan get out of punching a bag.

Although your right about boxing developing fighting skill quickly and the fitness benifits go without saying.

CD-Lee I'm only abrasive online if you met me in person I'm really a nice guy. So worries, just don't slag Sabaki or I might get mean. ;)

Oh and I just used Tae Kwon Do as an example (been There done that). I'd rather not even......

Jacko Jackson

joedoe
11-01-2001, 12:12 AM
I started training in TCMA when I was 14. Didn't do me any harm. It will only be boring if you pick a boring teacher.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Aramus
11-01-2001, 12:21 AM
"The only sport where you are guaranteed brain damage." my old physics professor.

I think, after having said that, that boxing is quick in the defense, offense, and does teach some discipline ...unless you like getting hit in the head.

However, I don't think it is the safest option.

Of course, doctors are now saying that soccer is dangerous if you head the ball a lot in practice ect. or do it improperly.

Water Dragon
11-01-2001, 12:22 AM
Uhhh guys, you don't get in the ring for a while. And when you start, it's not that often. Unless he wants to fight on the circuit, he'll be cool.

Johnny Hot Shot
11-01-2001, 12:32 AM
I'm taking him to my gym tonight. I teach Kick boxing so he's going to observe/try my class. After we are going to observe/try a Hung Gar class.
I'm going to see what he is interested in.
I'd perfer he go with the Hung gar.

Jacko Jackson

Johnny Hot Shot
11-01-2001, 09:23 AM
He wants to take my class.

Although I am honored that he chose me.

KickBoxing is not an art.

Jacko Jackson

joedoe
11-01-2001, 09:24 AM
Well, it is better than nothing. Let him start there and then maybe encourage him into another art later.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

SevenStar
11-01-2001, 09:45 AM
It kills me that CMA knock TKD like that. With all the hell we catch from other styles, you'd think you would be more compassionate :) Besides, I know some **** good TKD stylists, some that would make you change your mind about the style. Anyway, back on the topic, I am with WD on this one. Get him into boxing, or muay thai if it's available. After that, let him get into CMA if he wants to.

And by the way -
A martial art is any skill that can be applied in warfare - techniques of combat based upon principles which allow a fighter to use his or her strengths against an opponent's weaknesses

Kickboxing falls into these parameters. Sport or not, it's still an art.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Johnny Hot Shot
11-01-2001, 10:09 AM
Please let me clarify, Kick boxing is missing the spiritual, the meditation, the Kata, the eye gouging, the biting, the striking to the nads, the head butting, the ear biting and the weapons...

Although there is Kung fu in kickboxing I still do not see it as a true art.

Would you practice kickboxing in the park?

As for TKD I know that there are Great Martial Artist in every art even at USSD. There are a ton of Dojangs aroud but Na.

I'm liking the suggestions.

I need to consider cost.

Jacko Jackson

don bohrer
11-01-2001, 10:31 AM
A good TKD school will set the foundation of kicking. A friend of mine takes TKD with his wife and kids. It has been a rare experience to find anyone that kicks as well as that family does!

soy
11-01-2001, 11:43 AM
If I was a private instructor, heres what I would be teaching a man of that age. (10-13)

Kung Fu stances, just stances. Often.

Cardio crosstraining (running, etc)

General abdominal excercise, nothing too intense. That's a little young to be body building.

Judo or Muay Thai.

From 14-17 I'd either start on kung fu form and application, continue judo/muay thai, or go into more cardio crosstraining and start intesifying flexibility training.

18-24 advanced kung fu, body building, advanced judo, continue flexibility.

25-30 Hsing Yi, Tai Chi, Continue judo/muay thai, continue to practice Kung Fu. Begin to even out the body building, start working on details. At this point the person should be pretty built, so I'd really work on speed, flexibility, and individual areas on the body. Get a physical therapist to asess the body and take their suggestions. Get multiple opinions.

30+ Let them decide.

This is all in my little dreamworld of course. But you know, take what you want.. this is just what I would do to myself if I could go back in time.

soy
11-01-2001, 11:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Please let me clarify, Kick boxing is missing the spiritual, the meditation, the Kata, the eye gouging, the biting, the striking to the nads, the head butting, the ear biting and the weapons...
Although there is Kung fu in kickboxing I still do not see it as a true art.

Would you practice kickboxing in the park?
[/quote]

Muay thai is very spiritual, in fact. If you find a teacher who practices it traditionally. Muay Thai fighters meditate often. They are from the same culture that perpetuates theravadin buddhism, remember? Kickboxing is an extremely effective art. It conditions the body, it gets one acclimated to what combat is like, and it gives them a very good weapon. Judo is a good supplement for self defense, especially against people who don't know anything like judo. Kung fu is about the only defense I know for Muay Thai, and even then it doesent work. But I feel that it has greatly improved my muay thai, thus I practice it often.

Robinf
11-01-2001, 04:25 PM
Kung fu should also work flexibility equally as much as TKD.

Is it possible for your little brother to try a lesson or two of TKD and kung fu to see which he likes. I love my kung fu, but I don't fit in with all the styles--I just happen to like the way my kung fu moves; it suits me. Your brother may feel more in step with TKD if he wants kickboxing.

Soy,
I like your curriculum ideas.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Johnny Hot Shot
11-01-2001, 05:56 PM
That’s cool about Mui Thai. I really no very little on how Mui Thai fighters train. I like how you guys jump allover me for saying something narrow. Next time I'll elaborate. ;)

Must be karma coming back.

Soy, Your training ideas are good but my little doesn’t have the means to travel very far nor does he have the money to pay much for classes.

I know that some schools charge alot for crap. The Gym is very close to his house and offers Tai Chi, Shorin Ryu, Hung Gar, Kickboxing and boxing as well as all the regular stuff you'd find in a health club.

Sifu Cunningham (Hung Gar) is willing to teach Ikaika for a really decent price. Sifu teaches just because he loves to, the only reason he takes payment is to pay for rent and supplies.
Kickboxing is through The Club and is kind of pricey for a little guy.

When I left Ikaika last night I asked him to think about why he wants to take Martial arts, what does he think he will get out of it and how does he think it will affect him in years to come.

Jacko Jackson

gfhegel21
11-01-2001, 06:28 PM
Boxing can be character building. It doesn't have the spiritual aspects per se (i.e., "now we will meditate"), but boxing requires rigorous discipline, which can be good for kids, I think.

And it's not as if your child will be put in the ring fighting 12 round fights full contact. Even if your kid WANTS to do that it'd be months or even a year before that ever happened. There's a lot more to training boxing than getting in the ring and whaling on each other.

It may not be what you're looking for, but don't discount benefits of boxing ASIDE from learning to fight.

Robinf
11-01-2001, 06:37 PM
Johnny Hot Shot,

Those were excellent questions to ask your brother. That should help both of you to get him on the right path.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Johnny Hot Shot
11-01-2001, 06:39 PM
I respect all Martial Arts and I don't discredit any style.

It's just that I would perfer for the boy to take Hung Gar is all. But that is my preference, what it really boils down to is what the boy wants to do.

Jacko Jackson

SevenStar
11-02-2001, 01:23 AM
actually, I have kickboxed and grappled in the park, as well as done forms. It draws a lot of attention though.

Good luck with your brother. Keep us updated!

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair