PDA

View Full Version : Heavybag hang from I-Beam idea

TenTigers
09-20-2011, 08:36 AM
ok, so I have I beams about six feet over a suspended ceiling.
Can't hang a chain, as it will swing and rip out the ceiling, so I saw this at a tKD school, and wondered if anyone has any experience with it.
Here's how it works:
You take square tubing, maybe 4". and weld a base plate to one end, which clamps or bolts to the I-beam. On the other end you weld an eye hook/ring. The fixture drops down so that the eye hook extends through the ceiling a few inches, and hook the bag onto that.
Any ideas?

sanjuro_ronin
09-20-2011, 08:37 AM
ok, so I have I beams about six feet over a suspended ceiling.
Can't hang a chain, as it will swing and rip out the ceiling, so I saw this at a tKD school, and wondered if anyone has any experience with it.
Here's how it works:
You take square tubing, maybe 4". and weld a base plate to one end, which clamps or bolts to the I-beam. On the other end you weld an eye hook/ring. The fixture drops down so that the eye hook extends through the ceiling a few inches, and hook the bag onto that.
Any ideas?

There is an actual "I" beam bracket you can use.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KH2TMR6RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

TenTigers
09-20-2011, 08:42 AM
yeah, but the chain will be over 6 feet. Too much swing. Of course I can attach guy wires, or rods with turnbuckles in four directions, attached to the joists to stabilize it, but it seems like a huge ordeal.

sanjuro_ronin
09-20-2011, 08:53 AM
yeah, but the chain will be over 6 feet. Too much swing. Of course I can attach guy wires, or rods with turnbuckles in four directions, attached to the joists to stabilize it, but it seems like a huge ordeal.

Hmmm, the over swing is an issue...with pussie bags !
:D
I see your point but in that case you have no choice but to either weld or bolt some "extension" to the I beam the brings it below your ceiling, to which you can attach your pussie bag.

The issue may be that the extension will still have some sway.

mickey
09-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Greetings,

TenTigers,

Using the I beam bracket shown , have a steel extension welded to one side of the bracket, the length you need and work from there. You can even use two I beams prepared the same way and have a length of pipe or whatever connecting the two at the ends. This will allow you to put up more than one bag for training.

mickey

Brule
09-20-2011, 01:34 PM
don't alot of bags now come with a strap on the bottom where you could attach a cord to fasten it to the ground? Are you able to do that to lessen the swing?

donjitsu2
09-20-2011, 01:43 PM
don't alot of bags now come with a strap on the bottom where you could attach a cord to fasten it to the ground? Are you able to do that to lessen the swing?

My thoughts exactly

Lucas
09-20-2011, 02:29 PM
anybody else left expecting and wanting after you read sanjuro post of 'pussie bag' ??

im a little disappointed. :(

TenTigers
09-20-2011, 03:04 PM
anybody else left expecting and wanting after you read sanjuro post of 'pussie bag' ??

im a little disappointed. :(
I'm a little frightened. He might post one of the rejects from RateMyCamelToe:eek:

TenTigers
09-20-2011, 03:05 PM
yeah, but not enough. besides, then you can't swing the bag for different timing drills, body conditioning, and the like.

-N-
09-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Run two vertical steel posts down from the I-beam about 12' or so apart.

Run a horizontal beam between the bottoms of the two posts. Now you can hang multiple bags.

Use diagonal bracing to the two vertical posts above the ceiling to reduce flexing.

You can use steel pipe or aircraft cable for the bracing.

TenTigers
09-21-2011, 08:14 AM
Run two vertical steel posts down from the I-beam about 12' or so apart.

Run a horizontal beam between the bottoms of the two posts. Now you can hang multiple bags.

Use diagonal bracing to the two vertical posts above the ceiling to reduce flexing.

You can use steel pipe or aircraft cable for the bracing.
That's a nice design, and I have also considered something similar. I suppose the diagonal bracing can attach to adjacent bar joists..?

-N-
09-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Adjacent joists as well as the one the posts drop down from.

Bracing should be in two directions for each post.

TenTigers
09-23-2011, 07:38 PM
problem solved!
we decided to build one of those square frames instead.
This way, I can hang about six bags.
O-boy! now I get to buy cool new toys!
a double end bag, an uppercut bag, a wrecking ball...maybe hang one of those logs for conditioning, some chains, a chinese basket, some meathooks, those fish hooks on chains from H3llraiser...
this is gonna be great!

TenTigers
09-23-2011, 07:39 PM
ahh...so do I use three inch square tubing, or four inch...
(sigh) here we go again....

-N-
09-23-2011, 08:09 PM
3" is probably plenty, especially if you triangulate the structure, or at least use gusset plates.

mickey
09-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Greetings,

Your idea is what I described. And you get props? TenTigers does it to me again!

I think I have to brush and floss more. And gargle.

mickey