PDA

View Full Version : balance of kicks

Kiasyd
03-21-2001, 03:11 PM
Hi everyone!

I just came from my traning (I just started 7* Northern Praying Mantis) and I'm not very happy with the performance of my kicks (in fact, it was awful :( ).

What I want to know is if I should start trying low kicks to keep my balance, or go as high as possible, even if goes very unbalanced?

-- Kiasyd

Budokan
03-21-2001, 04:50 PM
I think you already know the answer. What good is a high kick if you're off balance, compared to a powerful low kick--and you're still balanced and ready to rumble?

I had something of the same problem at one time before I realized I was simply trying to do too much too quickly. Keep practicing and stretching. The high kicks will come as you progress in your art. They did for me, anyway.

K. Mark Hoover

Fu-Pow
03-21-2001, 10:49 PM
Here is some advice for front, side and round house kicks. As you kick let your heel (the one you are standing on) turn out slightly. About 45 degrees from straight foward. This will give you more stability.

Fu-Pow

joedoe
03-22-2001, 03:54 AM
I agree with both Budokan and Fu-Pow. If your high kicks are unbalanced you are better off sticking with the low kicks, but training your balance in the high kicks.

Turning your support foot in the kick is also important.

How is your balance in general?

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

Kiasyd
03-22-2001, 02:42 PM
Well, i think my balance, is ok, except by the higher kicks, but then again, my sifu teached us to turn the standing leg, as Fu-Pow said, but probably Im not doing this as I should. I'll keep training. :D

-- Kiasyd

lungyuil
03-25-2001, 10:50 PM
How is your flexibility?
That is very important to achieve high kicks with balance. If you are not flexible your balancing leg will be lifting off the ground to achieve the kick which is not good.

Try kicking slowly and maintain the balance & don't lean backward to much. The balancing foot should always be facing a 45deg angle.

This gives you an extra extension on the kick and more power because of the straight line with the hip. :)