PDA

View Full Version : What do you really need from Sport Fighting?

MightyB
09-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Since everyone one likes to talk about this $hit...

You should understand the western boxer's guard and defense (and train it).
You should understand the need for basic strength training and conditioning (and train it).
You should understand the fundamentals of the basic ground game (and train it).

Do you, as a TCMAist, need to know anymore than what's posted above? No - not really. Those three things if trained properly will increase your understanding of the sporting combative arts and you'll gain some good knowledge that you can use in self defense... after that you got all that you need from the sporting world and you're free to get back with your training. Enough of this MMA crap already.

:p

Dragonzbane76
09-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Judo/thai clinch work would be another I would add.

bawang
09-26-2011, 06:02 PM
sounds like a scared omega male. afraid of the real man. afraid of strong.

Eric Olson
09-27-2011, 04:54 AM
Judo/thai clinch work would be another I would add.

But you can get a lot of that stuff from TCMA. TaiJi for example is all about the clinch.

EO

Frost
09-27-2011, 05:01 AM

You should understand the need for basic strength training and conditioning (and train it).

Do you, as a TCMAist, need to know anymore than what's posted above? No - not really. Those three things if trained properly will increase your understanding of the sporting combative arts and you'll gain some good knowledge that you can use in self defense... after that you got all that you need from the sporting world and you're free to get back with your training. Enough of this MMA crap already.

a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, each of the above can take years to get good at if you dont have the time to dedicate to them i probably wouldnt bother

MightyB
09-27-2011, 06:58 AM
a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, each of the above can take years to get good at if you dont have the time to dedicate to them i probably wouldnt bother

What'chu talk'n 'bout Willis?

It doesn't take long to get the basics - not long at all. Even if we are talking straight MMA, most of your time is spent on conditioning and basic technique. When you talk about refinement, you talk about sport and specialization. But to learn the basics of boxing defense - maybe 3 weeks. You can drill for a lifetime, but learning them isn't long. The ground game, yes that's longer - but anything after blue belt is for the sport of Jiu Jitsu. At BB, you know a couple of sweeps from guard and 1/2 guard, you should know the basic submission attacks, and the basic defenses against said submissions. Where you'll be lacking is in leg/ankle techniques... oh well.

Anyway - after that, your traditional will take care of you and you can get past this MMA envy thing and be secure in your training.

Frost
09-27-2011, 07:23 AM
So you think someone can learn the basics of boxing in three weeks and that’s it? Then what back to their style because they have it all covered? Heck why not cut it to a day? I can show you all the boxing basics in a day: how to stand, the jab cross hook, shielding, padding head movement footwork etc.Of course you wont be able to do anything with it and a week later you will be doing it all wrong,

And that’s my point It takes months of working with a good coach to get the basics down not weeks…. Otherwise all you will be drilling is incorrect movements and wrong postures and doing more harm than good…..and then to refine them which as you say takes a lifetime

And that’s what I mean by a little knowledge is dangerous, people don’t realise that those basics take time to become good at (heck how many amateur boxers have good head movement not many and this is after years of training 6 days a week) all a few weeks of training will do is give you just enough confidence to get you killed

It’s the same with the ground your right I can show you all the subs and positions in a few weeks, you wont be able to do them on anyone other than a scrub though for several months, and getting to blue belt takes atleast a year of hard training, if that’s not a long time then what is?

MightyB
09-27-2011, 07:30 AM
So you think someone can learn the basics of boxing in three weeks and that’s it? Then what back to their style because they have it all covered? Heck why not cut it to a day? I can show you all the boxing basics in a day: how to stand, the jab cross hook, shielding, padding head movement footwork etc.Of course you wont be able to do anything with it and a week later you will be doing it all wrong,

And that’s my point It takes months of working with a good coach to get the basics down not weeks…. Otherwise all you will be drilling is incorrect movements and wrong postures and doing more harm than good…..and then to refine them which as you say takes a lifetime

And that’s what I mean by a little knowledge is dangerous, people don’t realise that those basics take time to become good at (heck how many amateur boxers have good head movement not many and this is after years of training 6 days a week) all a few weeks of training will do is give you just enough confidence to get you killed

It’s the same with the ground your right I can show you all the subs and positions in a few weeks, you wont be able to do them on anyone other than a scrub though for several months, and getting to blue belt takes atleast a year of hard training, if that’s not a long time then what is?

Get you killed - where? MMA, A boxing match? If you're planning on fighting in MMA, you train at an MMA gym to get ready. We're not talking about that. We're talking about TCMA. Besides, you don't slip and duck in MMA, you also don't take the classical boxer's stance because you need to square your hips more to defend against the take down... anyway -

A blue belt should take closer to two years, and no that's not long - goes by in a blink.

wenshu
09-27-2011, 07:39 AM
Gotta let the internet be the internet but this black and white thinking bull**** is too much sometimes.

How about this - If you like boxing train boxing. Even if it is just for three weeks. Who cares?

"Sorry son, you're never gonna win golden gloves so you shouldn't even bother trying to learn, just sit on the couch eating shepards pie and playing video games." What the **** is this nonsense.

Frost
09-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Get you killed - where? MMA, A boxing match? If you're planning on fighting in MMA, you train at an MMA gym to get ready. We're not talking about that. We're talking about TCMA. Besides, you don't slip and duck in MMA, you also don't take the classical boxer's stance because you need to square your hips more to defend against the take down... anyway -

A blue belt should take closer to two years, and no that's not long - goes by in a blink.

So what are you learning boxing defences and ground work if not to fight against a boxer, MMA or grapplers even if its just on the street? So you can face some slob with no training? if so then why do you need to go to a boxing gym for that? your TCMA should take care of that, it should also make you ok for the ground against someone not trained in ground work although ill concede it would make sense to learn the basics if your school doesn’t cover it at all …

Don’t get smart you raised boxing defences which you say you can learn in 3 weeks, last time I checked slipping and bobbing and weaving were part of a boxers defence, and they takes more than a few weeks to get good at them

So 2 years to you is not that long, and then what you stop training it and hope you will remember it if you need it? Or you continue training with it alongside your TCMA

What is your point with this thread other than trying to sound clever?

sanjuro_ronin
09-27-2011, 08:35 AM

I would just add some clinch work and hitting on the clinch.

I see what you are getting at and it is basically what I have been saying all these years: Know your enemy.
One doesn't have to stop being a TCMA, one just has to test and drill against what the "enemy" is doing.

As Ace Ventura once said, " to understand the dolphin one must become the dolphin, get inside the dolphins head...I say to the dolphin "acka, acka acka" and the dolphin says, "acka, acka, acka",...and you can quote me !!!
*spits on ground*

MightyB
09-27-2011, 09:00 AM
So what are you learning boxing defences and ground work if not to fight against a boxer, MMA or grapplers even if its just on the street? So you can face some slob with no training? if so then why do you need to go to a boxing gym for that? your TCMA should take care of that, it should also make you ok for the ground against someone not trained in ground work although ill concede it would make sense to learn the basics if your school doesn’t cover it at all …

I personally think the boxer's defense, at least the hand and head positioning and the types of drills they do are very beneficial for a TCMAist - doesn't mean you have to be a boxer. One of the biggest problems that I've seen in TCMA is head defense. Learning and incorporating some basic boxing helps that out and doesn't detract from anything you're currently doing.

Don’t get smart you raised boxing defences which you say you can learn in 3 weeks, last time I checked slipping and bobbing and weaving were part of a boxers defence, and they takes more than a few weeks to get good at them

See my above statement.

So 2 years to you is not that long, and then what you stop training it and hope you will remember it if you need it? Or you continue training with it alongside your TCMA

To me it's not long. But this is for the individual to decide. I don't think you have to get too deep into BJJ unless you plan on competing in BJJ.

What is your point with this thread other than trying to sound clever?

Sounding clever is the point :p

Iron_Eagle_76
09-27-2011, 09:36 AM
I would just add some clinch work and hitting on the clinch.

I see what you are getting at and it is basically what I have been saying all these years: Know your enemy.
One doesn't have to stop being a TCMA, one just has to test and drill against what the "enemy" is doing.

As Ace Ventura once said, " to understand the dolphin one must become the dolphin, get inside the dolphins head...I say to the dolphin "acka, acka acka" and the dolphin says, "acka, acka, acka",...and you can quote me !!!
*spits on ground*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g4DgQayaOw :p

sanjuro_ronin
09-27-2011, 10:13 AM
You dig me my bro

Lucas
09-27-2011, 10:37 AM
sanjuro wins the internet for working an ace ventura quote into serious martial arts discussion.

Yoshiyahu
10-18-2011, 05:27 PM
If you are training to be actor go to acting school!!!!

If you want to wing a Push Hands competition train Tai Chi!!!

If you want to win a point fighting tournment train Karate!!!

If you want to win in the octagon train BJJ and Muay Thai!!!

If you want to win the Tae Kwon Do Olympics train TKD!!!

If you want to win in Chi Sau competition train Wing Chun!!!

If you want to win at street fighting you have to fight different people. No need to learn BJJ or TKD or Boxing or Karate, or Jiujitsu, or Akikido because the chances of you fighting a guy who knows those things is so great!!!

No you simply need experience fighting with people who are good at different styles of Fighting. A man who has fought many different stand up fighters and ground fighters and figured out their weaknesses will defeat a MMA guy who has only fought MMA guys any day!

Jack of all trades master of None!