PDA

View Full Version : anyone training specifically for ligament/tendon strength?

passing_through
05-09-2001, 07:05 PM
Hello all,

I am looking for more information on training ligaments/tendons. I have read a few things dealing with a gentleman named George Jowett, a strong man from the 1920's. He could press a 165 lbs. anvil from the ground to overhead with one hand (anvils are not known for being balanced). His approach to training was on tendon/ligament strength as he felt the "cables" that connect muscles needed to be stronger than the muscles themselves. I've spoken to a kinesologiest and he is of the opinion that as tendons/ligaments are connected to muscles, when you train muscles you are training ligaments /tendons.

I have not been able to locate anything in depth on either George Jowett or tendon/ligament training. From what I can gather, Jowett advocated doing MASSIVE weight in the strongest range of motion (partials). This puts a greated loading stress on the bones rather than the muscle...

I know legiments/tendons are less metobolically active compared to muscle and require special training, but I haven't found anything that details the special training...

Thoughts?

Thanks.

... opportunityisnowhere...
... was that no where...
...............or now here...

fiercest tiger
05-10-2001, 03:53 AM
2 man drills
yuil kuil ty sau
grinding arms, chi sau etc helps dynamoc tension too

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Ford Prefect
05-10-2001, 03:19 PM
Yes you can train for ligament strength only. Yes, when you strength train you also strengthen the ligaments... ;)

That sounds possible. The old time strongmen really knew how to train for raw feats of strength. They were much more "wirey" than they were bulky. They usually used things like kettlebells, anvils, sand bags, and even barbells. The latter having the least effect on stabilizing muscles and intra musclulsar coordination.

I train with kettlebells and sand bags regularly, and I've found that these definately have better carry over to real-world strength because of their akwardness. For lifting straight-up raw poundages though, barbell's can't be beat. You can make barbell lifts more taxing though. For example, I practice one hand barbell snatches and one hand overhead barbell presses.

Brooks Kubrik (I think that's how you spell his name) advocates similar training as does Pavel Tsatsouline, who's methods closely resemble a lot of old-time strong men(he even recently put out kettlebells). I could name a few others, but those are by far the easiest reads.

JWTAYLOR
05-10-2001, 04:40 PM
Pick up rock climbing. That's why I did, works wonders and it's an incredible experience.
JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV