PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Injury

wooha
04-24-2001, 12:11 PM
A week ago I was sparring this guy in my kung fu class. I was going for a round kick and somehow we ended up slamming our shins together. His leg hit me hard on the muscle just to the outside of the bone, about halfway down my shin. I got a sudden sharp pain, but that went away after a few seconds so we carried on training. Later that evening the pain came back.

Of course I assumed it was just bruised, but it's been a week and I still can't walk properly. The strange part is that the impact must have penetrated right through the leg, because the lower part of my calf muscle is in just as much pain as my shin. There's no swelling or any other physical signs. Just sharp pain when I put any strain on the muscles and dull pain when I wake up in the morning and move my leg.

I'm going to see a doctor about it but I was just wondering if any of you have any experience with this type of injury. Is this the kind of thing dit da jow would be good for? I just want to get back to my training.

Thanks,
--
Tom

chongnoi
04-24-2001, 02:46 PM
Dit daw jow works great for bruise injuries. I would try it. But if the bine was hit hard enough and you are having trouble walking you might want to get an X Ray-especially if after a few days it is still real bad. You might have actully developed a hairline fracture in your shin bone. Going to see a Chinese Medicine Doctor can also help as they can perform accupunture and have herbal paste formulas for more serious injuries. Hope and pray you heal up and can continue training.

qeySuS
04-24-2001, 03:12 PM
I've had trouble walking before on account of a bad hit, but usually there's swelling involved. I usually put Dit Da Jow 1-2 times a day on it (reasonable amounts of course dont use it excessively), and i often put an icepack 1-2 times a day on it too (not at the same time as the dit da jow). I got a really bad bruise one month prior to a competiton and this helped me get writ of the sorenes so i could handle myself without problems, however i had to protect my right shin very well because one hit to that same area would have made it all come back.

Free thinkers are dangerous.

Godzilla
04-25-2001, 06:31 PM
Just kidding chongnoi! Hi!

Ditto on your advice and healing wishes!

It’s a good sign there’s no swelling. I injured my leg (hamstring) while ‘overdoing it’ after class a few years ago. I limped for almost 3 months. Thought I needed a cane. But my body healed, as will yours. Good luck whooa.

Godzilla

wooha
04-30-2001, 01:37 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

The Doctor wasn't much help, he just told me to rest it and it would eventually get better on it's own. However, my sifu - who is also a practitioner of Chinese medicine - treated it last Wednesday and I was walking properly within a couple of days. It's pretty much 95% okay now and I'll be back at training tomorrow.

Thanks again.

--

Tom.