PDA

View Full Version : Will you argue with your style brothers?

YouKnowWho
09-30-2011, 01:09 PM
It's common to see that

- MMA guys argue with TCMA guys.
- People in different styles argue against each other.

It's uncommon to see that people in the same style that argue against each other. It's even uncommonto see that people in the same style and come from the same teacher (2nd generation, 3rd generation, ...) that argue against each other (just go to any WC thread).

Strange thing just happen in this forum and I don't understand why. What's your opinion on this?

Lucas
09-30-2011, 01:13 PM
I think within the same discipline people are working together to reach solutions and strong methods, and to pass these on to brothers, so we argue less and work towards the same aims more. Across disciplines though we have variations on answers and feel the need to support our methods over others. That's my take on it.

Xiao3 Meng4
09-30-2011, 01:18 PM
It's almost tradition for Wing Chun ppl to argue among themselves.

SPJ
09-30-2011, 01:18 PM
well.

even among the same generation or time periods

yes, we debate or converse or exchange ideas and hands.

if we are at younger generation, we do not "argue" with previous generation

they are at the same gen with your teacher

so we may converse or ask

but not really argue.

and as such or etc etc.

:)

Dragonzbane76
09-30-2011, 02:51 PM
was going to say look at the WC one and you see it all the time. But as I scanned the above posts looks like everyone else pretty much said the same thing.

-N-
09-30-2011, 03:12 PM
It's uncommon to see that people in the same style that argue against each other.

There's all kinds of perspectives and disagreements among my classmates.

I don't waste energy arguing though.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-30-2011, 03:41 PM
People who like to argue are drawn to discussion forums. So martial arts people on discussion forums argue more than martial artists in real life because we are a concentration of the sub group of master debaters.

mooyingmantis
09-30-2011, 03:59 PM
I think within the same discipline people are working together to reach solutions and strong methods, and to pass these on to brothers, so we argue less and work towards the same aims more. Across disciplines though we have variations on answers and feel the need to support our methods over others. That's my take on it.

I agree!
Plus, because of our mutual respect as brothers, I think we debate rather than argue.

Ben Gash
09-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Have you looked at any of the CLF discussions on the Southern forum?

hskwarrior
09-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Have you looked at any of the CLF discussions on the Southern forum?

oh stop that......nothin like that happens on the southern forum. :rolleyes:

YouKnowWho
09-30-2011, 04:42 PM
People who like to argue are drawn to discussion forums. So martial arts people on discussion forums argue more than martial artists in real life because we are a concentration of the sub group of master debaters.
When I still worked for IBM, oneday in a meeting a guy said, "I agree with you today but I reserve my right to disagree with you if I can find any reason later on." To me, that person was a true "master debater".

omarthefish
09-30-2011, 05:20 PM
It is kind of odd I guess. I hadn't noticed it here because I don't pay that much attention to the styles everyone here trains.

It's true that I never argue with other Baji people. I disagree with them plenty and will still say so but I really go out of my way to express my ideas as personal preferences only when I am talking to other folks from the same style.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-30-2011, 05:46 PM
It is kind of odd I guess. I hadn't noticed it here because I don't pay that much attention to the styles everyone here trains.

It's true that I never argue with other Baji people. I disagree with them plenty and will still say so but I really go out of my way to express my ideas as personal preferences only when I am talking to other folks from the same style.

I argue with everyone. Although, thinking about it, I argue the least with other Tai Tzu people.

omarthefish
09-30-2011, 06:29 PM
It' very conscious for me. I have seen people repeat our criticisms of other branches out loud in public and it always makes me really uncomfortable. It's not that you should state your differences of opinion but the way you phrase it makes a big difference. It's one thing to point out a difference and say you prefer it your own school's way; it's a totally different thing to say that some other guys training is inauthentic or watered down or whatever because they do it different.

Whenever pointing out anything I view as a flaw in other Baji schools style, I always pair the comment with a comment about something else that I admire about their training.

YouKnowWho
09-30-2011, 07:36 PM
It's true that I never argue with other Baji people.

Me too!

I don't argue with anybody who trains SC, longfist, mantis, Baji, WC. I may argue with Taiji guys just because I think their attitude of "If you don't move then I won't move ..." is too conservative. I prefer "Give before take". The way that I feel is that I should support people who share the same interest as I do. It doesn't make sense to upset your style brothers for no good reason.

In RSF forum, one of my longfist brothers (His teacher and my teacher have the same teacher) has different opinions on whether we should twist on the back toes of on the back heel. Through the whole discussion, I had never said that he was wrong and I was right even we didn't agree on that issue.

Jimbo
10-01-2011, 12:42 AM
I don't really argue with people in my style (CLF), but then again, I don't really argue with those from other styles, either. At least not concerning MA. I've trained so many systems before CLF, anyway. I've also been mostly on my own for a while now, so I rarely even discuss MA with anyone anymore. And what's the point of arguing about it? If something works for you, it's already your own. If somebody disagrees, that's fine, too. Their interpretation is different.

I have seen sniping within the same style, but it's usually between practitioners of different lineages. And I'm not only talking about on these forums.

I do seem to remember many, many years ago on these forums, there was a big problem of online arguing between some SPM practitioners. There may even have been an SPM forum here(?), but it got so bad it was taken down. Anyone else remember that?

TenTigers
10-01-2011, 06:01 AM
no they don't.

:D
(insert Monty Python vid here)

brothernumber9
10-03-2011, 09:08 AM
It's common to see that

- MMA guys argue with TCMA guys.
- People in different styles argue against each other.

It's uncommon to see that people in the same style that argue against each other. It's even uncommonto see that people in the same style and come from the same teacher (2nd generation, 3rd generation, ...) that argue against each other (just go to any WC thread).

Strange thing just happen in this forum and I don't understand why. What's your opinion on this?

It's entirely too common that people within the same styles/systems/communities argue with one another ex: Wing Chun, Hung Ga, CLF, 8-step mantis, tai mantis, Jook Lum, Shaolin. It's hard to mention a style or system that doesn't have such. Even now with styles associated with MMA there is divisiveness to the same effect. ex: Gracie JJ, Catch Wrestling, and others that are more along the lines of exposing frauds more than just a lineage dispute It is hard to avoid when egos and self importance become so enlarged or another individual/group outright rips off a style lineage and claims it as thier own.

TenTigers
10-03-2011, 10:42 AM
I won't argue with my Hung Kuen, or SPM brothers. I will offer alternatives, solutions, share my own personal experiences and discoveries. I will try to be more tactful.
If I see something posted, or a video, which I think isn't good, I would rather say nothing, and not even comment on it, rather than start up a sh1tstorm. It gets way too political, and petty.

YouKnowWho
10-03-2011, 11:07 AM
I won't argue with my Hung Kuen, or SPM brothers.
The way that I see is that all TCMA styles have weakness. If people train my style think that my style is so "perfect" and "complete", I won't argue with him. It's just like someone said, "you are a good guy". You said, "You are wrong. I'm bad". It won't make any sense IMO. Since I have cross trained many styles, this almost prevent me from arguing agianst any other TCMA guy.

When my style brothers said that joint locking is hidden in the staff form, I can only admit that my IQ is just too low to recognize it.

TenTigers
10-03-2011, 11:20 AM
that's funny. Our staff form also says that the joint locking is hidden within.
Small world.

sanjuro_ronin
10-03-2011, 01:11 PM
I owe allegiance to KNOW ONE so yeah, ****ing right I argue !!
:p

David Jamieson
10-03-2011, 02:37 PM
I dunno, a quick pop in to the wing chun forums will change your mind perhaps? :)

SteveLau
10-03-2011, 08:52 PM
I think most arguments no matter the topic is about those individuals not putting enough time into there work/training and take a easy way out finding fault with the others. it’s always easier to mask our internal when finding fault with his/her external.

Drjradmonish, there is some truth in your opinion.

I won't argue with my Hung Kuen, or SPM brothers. I will offer alternatives, solutions, share my own personal experiences and discoveries. I will try to be more tactful.

So in general, people of the same style tend to argue less with each other simply because there are less differences to cause argument. Also, courtesy is another important factor. One tends not to argue with his brothers.

KC
Hong Kong

BakShaolinEC
10-04-2011, 08:38 AM
i try to be nice to other people. but if someones a **** then they deserve what they give.

David Jamieson
10-04-2011, 10:56 AM
i try to be nice to other people. but if someones a **** then they deserve what they give.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsd9yumMRv1qbee3q.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/kunglek/whatutalkinbout.jpg

YouKnowWho
10-04-2011, 11:08 AM

我的原則是:人不犯我,我不犯人;人若犯我,我就生氣!(這會不會太弱了...@_@)

My principle is "if you don't bother me, I won't bother you. If you bother me, I'll be very angry." (Am I not macho enough? :()

bawang
10-04-2011, 11:31 AM
i will argue by ramming my fist into their testicles.

sanjuro_ronin
10-04-2011, 11:49 AM
i will argue by ramming my fist into their testicles.

Some people pay good money to be on the receiving end of that !

bawang
10-04-2011, 12:23 PM
i dont get it

David Jamieson
10-04-2011, 01:20 PM
i dont get it

why? does it cost too much for you to afford?

Dominatrix price ranges are way out of line in this economy I agree!

bawang
10-04-2011, 02:27 PM
oh. you guys mean doing the bang bang bang in anoos. for that i ask vietnamese woman at dundas street midnight.

David Jamieson
10-04-2011, 03:47 PM
No, we're talking about a sack attack falcon punch for boys.

Lee Chiang Po
10-04-2011, 04:05 PM
In 1965 a friend and myself were in Little Rock, Arkansas, staying at the Grady Manning Hotel. We were being inducted into the military. A fellow we met in the lounge offered us 20 bucks apiece to abuse him like that. We didn't have to touch him, he wouldn't touch either of us. We went along with it. 20 bucks in 1965 was half a weeks wage. He took off his pants and sat in a corner with his legs against the walls, and we rolled, with great volocity I might add, grapefruits at his goobers. Before we got started, he also wet a couple of towels in the bathtub and said he wanted one of us to drag him by his hair while the other beat him with a wet towel, but neither one wanted to touch him, so he agreed with the double towel beating. We tossed grapefruit until he started getting off, then beat the juice out of him with the wet towels. I have to admit, I did get some sort of perverted pleasure out of beating the guy almost to death with a wet towel.
It was then that I came to realize just how sick and crazy the world is, and we were actually participants in the entire mess. If the police had come in on that, we would both likely still be in the pen.

David Jamieson
10-04-2011, 04:45 PM
wow. talk about confessions on a dance floor! :eek:

Dragonzbane76
10-04-2011, 05:34 PM
haha funny but i think i would have kept that to myself. :p

BakShaolinEC
10-05-2011, 07:31 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsd9yumMRv1qbee3q.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/kunglek/whatutalkinbout.jpg

I see what you did there ;)