PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi Sword

Chen Wuan
10-02-2001, 09:58 PM
I am looking for a food functional Sword, I have been reading about some by Paul Chen. He has a few different ones. The two I am debating are: his damascus tai chi and his top of the line in the pradtical tia chi line. I have heard different oppioniions about both swords some say that the Practical one is the better sword and the cost is 150 less. what do you recomend? ;)

KC Elbows
10-02-2001, 10:04 PM
If its true damascus, I don't see how the other could be better, but I'm not the expert in such things. I'll talk to some friends of mine who have knowledge of such things.

Kram1
10-02-2001, 10:24 PM
Modern Damacened steel is generally for looks. It is very pretty, adds to the price, but not significantly, stronger than the same type of steel in its non-damacened form. As to the general quality, type of steel is most important (Many blades are of very similar, good, steels now-a-days). Something with a good amt of tensile strength is important in a long blade. You dont want to have your lovely, super sharp, hard blade snap at the first contact w/ another blade. Hope this helps, I'e got to run.

MAr

And So It Goes...

Aramus
10-02-2001, 10:59 PM
Swordforum.com will give you more info on steel, forging etc.

Cheaper swords? E-bay has Paul chen swords for sale at various times.

Why do you need a sharp sword? Why do you need a combat ready sword? (don't anwser me...just a thought).

Hope this helps.

Check out martialartsmart.com for deals on swords

MaFuYee
10-02-2001, 11:43 PM
funny...

i just placed an order for paul chen's 1008 practical tai chi sword. - i should get it by friday, at the latest.

the retailer i am getting it from told me that he had to delay shipment, as the one he was going to ship out to me was defective. - he said, 1 out of every 7-10 has some sort of defect that requires him to return it. (poor quality control, on the mass produced blades.)

the reason i decided to buy it, was because the combat steel (heavy) lung chuan sword i was using, is just stupidly poorly balanced. - very blade heavy; and i got tired of it.

i may also purchase a kris cutlery gim, to compare the two. - i've heard that the blade is better on the kris cut. - but, i think the paul chen looks a little better. - i'm more concerned with proper balance than actual battlefield readiness.

__
__/0 _
____
/
__ //
__/o -//-- _/
____ ___ |
|| | |
|| || ||
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Shaolindynasty
10-03-2001, 04:34 AM
Ugh Those Lungchuan straight swords suck! I got mine and NEVER acually practiced with it, the balance sucks the handle is loose but I never fixed it cause the balance sucks so bad. One of the best straight swords I have practiced with is the Lion head sword I think they have it a AWMA and it's only $50. Somtimes cheaper is better

New classes New online Catalog
www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

MaFuYee
10-09-2001, 08:41 PM
i got the paul chen.

it bites the big one.
it is not "real" by any stretch of the imagination.

the point of balance is about 6.5 in. from the hilt. - it's way too light, but yet feels blade heavy.

it couldn't cut through the cardboard box it came in, has a compound s curve in the blade, and is made with a cheezy rat tail tang.

* but, it's a nice looking wall hanger.

- I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair, you still hit those brakes! Hey, better try the emergency brake!

Chen Wuan
10-13-2001, 02:52 AM
I got the top Of the line one and thought it was to light. But the ballance was good, It was very dull. I am sendingit back I am going to try the damascus one that Paul Chen makes. It will be about 6 weeks so I will let you know. ;)

Sam Wiley
10-13-2001, 04:29 AM
My own Damascus blade is pretty good. The sword is light and quick, firm yet with some flexibility. The blade vibrates beautifully when I do the fa-jing movements from my form. It's not a perfect sword, but it's by far the best I have owned.

I just want to caution you about sharp blades, though. Mine came razor sharp. I've owned it for a while now, and about two weeks ago nearly lopped off the pad of my middle finger just by brushing it with the tip. You just can't be careless with them.