PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Weakness and Fatigue

mamisano
05-30-2001, 05:34 PM
Greetings all. I am contimplating a return to training in Kung Fu after an almost 2 year hiatus. One of the main reasons I quit in the Fall of '99 was due to an ever increasing tendancy for my muscles to quickly fatigue.

I am 27 years old, and have questionable eating habits. I do not eat any Fruits or Vegetables (VERY PICKY EATER), and live mostly off of white meats like Chicken, Turkey and Pork (lean) along with multi-vitamins.

Recently I started jogging to get back into shape and again my muscle still fatigue very quickly (within 1/8 mile). I have done a little research on the 'Net and have come up with a possible cause...a Potassium deficiency.

Some signs of Potassium Deficiency are:
Muscle Fatigue (Yes)
Muscle cramps while exercising (yes)
Constipation (Yes)
Mental Apathy (Yes...lately bad memory)
Weak, low irregular pulse (no)
Altered Heart Rythem (no)

Does anyone else have experience with muscle fatigue or any information on my possible problem. Keep in mind, I have been a picky eater since childhood and it is not an easy thing to change...so a change in diet is not likely at this time.

Thanks for the help!
Regards,

Michael Amisano
Former Kung-Fu Student
Trying to get back on the right path.

Martial Joe
05-30-2001, 09:41 PM
I realy dont knwo this.But can you hurt yourself by having to much protien?

dmsdc
05-30-2001, 10:52 PM
So you need to eat spinach, bananas, a little red meat, kiwis, and maybe drink a veggie juice or something if you really can't bring yourself to eat vegetables.

Your muscles need calcium and potassium to work. One contracts the other relaxes - if you can't relax your muscles you'll just fill up on latic acid in no time & fatigue very quickly.

If you want a strong body you have to feed it and just eating meats won't work unless you start eating them raw - which is pretty dangerous in this day & age.

You don't have to do much - just a few little changes.

Dana

"I have been in
sorrow's kitchen and
licked out all the pots.
Then I have stood on
the peaky mountain
wrapped in rainbows,
with a harp and a
sword in my hands." -
Zora Neale Hurston

Sho Pi
05-31-2001, 01:21 AM
part of becoming physicaly fit is eating correctly. That means a balanced diet. It sounds cliche but eating your fruits and vegetables as well as the meats is vitaly important.

IronFist
05-31-2001, 01:34 AM
"I realy dont knwo this.But can you hurt yourself by having to much protien? "

well, you definately need more than the RDA 60grams a day. most athletes should eat 1g per pound of bodyweight, unless they are overweight.

Some people used tos ay too much protein will burn out your kidneys...

pro bodybuilders eat upwards of 3g/lb of bodyweight, but keep in mind they NEED all this protein. A sedentary individual who eats that much may hurt himself.

Hope this helps,

Iron

Ford Prefect
05-31-2001, 05:17 PM
You might want to try meal replacement shakes like Myoplex or Grow!.

mamisano
05-31-2001, 08:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You might want to try meal replacement shakes like Myoplex or Grow!. [/quote]

It looks like Myoplex Lite has 750mg of Potassium compared to a 99mg Tablet + it contains MANY other supplements.

I really wish I could alter my diet...If you are or know a picky eater, you know how difficult and frustrating this problem can be.

Regards,

Michael Amisano
Former Kung-Fu Student
Trying to get back on the right path.