PDA

View Full Version : New member to kung fu

gmwhite
10-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi, My name is Gregg and i am from Moore, OK. Last Friday i enrolled in a kung fu class and will start tonight. The style if you want to call it that is San Soo. I have been out of martial arts for awhile and am looking forward to getting started in it again. Some people say i am to old to get back into it. I am only 51 yrs. old so i guess i will find out.

Gregg

David Jamieson
10-03-2011, 02:27 PM
You're never to old to start. Kung Fu practice has something for everyone at any age so long as practice is kept up. :)

hskwarrior
10-03-2011, 03:29 PM
http://i.imgur.com/JNOqO.jpg

GeneChing
10-03-2011, 04:56 PM
You know, when I trained at Shaolin, they were impressed that Americans would be 'starting' in their 30s, which they thought was too old. They weren't really starting martial arts - a few were even school owners - but they were just starting with Shaolin kung fu. So it's all a matter of perspective. Good luck with your training (and good luck around here).

And hskwarrior - you need to look at this thread: Beach Spike (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61741)

MasterKiller
10-04-2011, 06:03 AM
Hi, My name is Gregg and i am from Moore, OK. Last Friday i enrolled in a kung fu class and will start tonight. The style if you want to call it that is San Soo. I have been out of martial arts for awhile and am looking forward to getting started in it again. Some people say i am to old to get back into it. I am only 51 yrs. old so i guess i will find out.

Gregg

You at Phoenix Rising?

Boomer Sooner!

MightyB
10-04-2011, 06:18 AM
I think I get Frank's message about starting training in Beach Volleyball. :)

gmwhite
10-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Hi everyone, I made it through my first class last night and i loved it. I am still learning and will continue to learn. My goal is to get my black belt which will take me about 3 yrs. i am told. The instructors work one on one and makes learning alot easier. Kung fu is alot different from karate and tkd. Also i am excerseing using my total gym every other night and stretching everyday. Any advice would be greatly apperciated on how i can improve. I would also like to add that i use to have lower back pain before i started stretching and couldn't even touch my toes. I am finally taking my doctors advice on stretching and hoping someday i will be able to do the splits.

Also learn a saying last night: kung fu san soo is like a tiger in a box. I think that is correct.

Gregg

Dragonzbane76
10-04-2011, 05:32 PM
hope you stick with it is the only advise available i can give you. Set smaller goals instead of looking down the road to "belts." good luck. :)

SPJ
10-04-2011, 07:27 PM
yes. there are volley ball lessons for kids, for high school teens and college/adult.

along the same vein

there are kungfu lessons for kids, teens, adults and of course senior or AARP eligible.

let me see

there are jumps, kneeling and high horse stance in the beach volley ball pic.

good.

we also jump, kneeling and high horse stance in kungfu.

:)

EarthDragon
10-05-2011, 04:57 AM
there are no black belts in Chinese kung fu, also it should take much longer than 3 years, but it really depends on the student......
I have 3 year students and they are still considered beginners..... be careful of the shifu who puts a time line on your development it si up to each students comprehension and ability...... it is virtually impossible to be good with only 3 years training.

Brule
10-05-2011, 05:53 AM
there are no black belts in Chinese kung fu, also it should take much longer than 3 years, but it really depends on the student......
I have 3 year students and they are still considered beginners..... be careful of the shifu who puts a time line on your development it si up to each students comprehension and ability...... it is virtually impossible to be good with only 3 years training.

Not sure what you mean there Earthdragon. I would hope that any person should be able to develop decent skills in a year let a lone three. Not saying exceptional, but with continued work there is no reason why they can't be good. There also should be a timeline to tell when you should be good. This isn't to bring in the TCMA vs MMA argument ok, so let's leave that out. In three years of continued training the student needs to develop some decent skill sets, if he/she doesn't then we must look at the teacher/training method. Of course, there's always going to be that guy who still can't figure out his left from his right but that's the exception rather than the norm imo.

SPJ
10-05-2011, 06:31 AM
http://twitpic.com/6v2lmt

:)

David Jamieson
10-05-2011, 06:46 AM
In KF schools that use belt systems, 3-5 years is about right with consistent diligent training.

Keep in mind that BB = start of refinement and start of absorption of all the material that has been transmitted to you.

Having a BB is like finishing school. You now have your degree, go apply it. By applying it, an all new kind of learning occurs.

imho :)

bawang
10-05-2011, 07:15 AM
the only role a belt should have in a kung fu school is to whip your students with it.

BakShaolinEC
10-05-2011, 07:24 AM
there's 2 bawang. its to also hold up your pants. ;):confused:

but then again, it doesn't sound like you train with pants on.

Iron_Eagle_76
10-05-2011, 07:29 AM
In regards to belts, in my experience those who are seeking belts either don't stay very long or change their initiative as time goes on. In our system it takes six years of hard, consistent training to make black belt. But ironically those who make it usually could care less about the belt by the time they make it to black belt, and the journey as someone said really just begins.:)

Northwind
10-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Hi Gregg,

Congratulations on starting your training! Train hard, listen to your instructor, senior brothers & sisters, and of course, your own body.

Don't be offended if some comments on these boards come across as gruff - this is your "forum kung fu training" :P Seriously though, it comes with the territory; people here will be helpful, supportive, silly, rude and perhaps insulting. Just take it all with a grain of salt - keep steady on your journey and enjoy! :)

BakShaolinEC
10-05-2011, 08:22 AM
In regards to belts, in my experience those who are seeking belts either don't stay very long or change their initiative as time goes on. In our system it takes six years of hard, consistent training to make black belt. But ironically those who make it usually could care less about the belt by the time they make it to black belt, and the journey as someone said really just begins.:)

what this guy said.

don't get caught up in the hype for a belt. Some people will say its "a false sense of entitlement". I have seen "black sashes who have trained for ten years" that look like poo.

SIFU RON
10-05-2011, 11:37 AM
I teach Kung Fu to older folks and have been for many years. I have a few folks in their 80's and early 90's that began with no experience, they enjoy the exercise and company of others in our class. Teaching and working with older people is an art in itself.

We also have disabled people, mid aged ex Black Belts from other Styles, a few young kids, and some 50-74 year olds in our class. We all have tons of fun, enjoy ourselves, and feel much better.

Gregg enjoy your classes, be very careful with you back, as back injuries are extremely difficult to live with.

Keep in touch with us on the forum and let us know how you do. You'll find some really nice well experienced people here. Subscribe to - Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine, it is the best and full of excellent information.

Welcome

Ron Shewmaker

EarthDragon
10-06-2011, 05:50 AM
Brule,

I would hope that any person should be able to develop decent skills in a year let a lone three. Not saying exceptional, but with continued work there is no reason why they can't be good.

I guess it depends on what you think good is. I was just saying that to reach a level like that you need more than just 3 years. And to be good at something as vast and deep as Chinese kung fu you need to put more than that into it, please keep in mind that classes are 2 or 3 days a week we all have jobs kids wives, TV internet etc etc,

so with no breaks or vacations no sick days you in classes about 120 a year so 360 classes in 3 years do you thinkk doing that little makes you good at it? much less a black belt level? remember that they give BB to 12 year old girls in a year adn a half or 2 years in taekwondo just sayin

Brule
10-06-2011, 06:52 AM
I guess the difference lies in what we define as being good. I don't consider good to = Sifu. I feel that is a much higher skill level. In the example you gave, you should be able to take someone who knows nothing of kung fu to a point where he/she is competent. They should be able to demonstrate their forms without having to pause and think about it. They should be able to demonstrate their skills in sparring and hold their own. They should begin to understand their bodies in relation to their opponent. I feel they should be doing this within a year to 1 1/2 yrs. Anything longer they should begin to look at why can't they.

Iron_Eagle_76
10-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Natural ability and athletisism will be the defining character in all things training related but if you cannot train someone to be good and competently fight in three years than you are doing something wrong or the person just does not have the physical capabilities to fight.

Hell, I have seen people be able to competently fight with six months of training when trained right. There will always be a progression in a person's abilities and this falsehood that after years of training suddenly the person will be good is both a myth and a scam at best. Kung Fu, like any othere thing a person practices and works at, is a collection of skills that one gets better at over time. This does mean that the person will increase in skill and experience as years go by, but certainly does not mean it takes a decade to be able to fight and use the art.

EarthDragon
10-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Brule

In the example you gave, you should be able to take someone who knows nothing of kung fu to a point where he/she is competent. They should be able to demonstrate their forms without having to pause and think about it. They should be able to demonstrate their skills in sparring and hold their own. They should begin to understand their bodies in relation to their opponent.

100 % agreed, but competent and good are 2 different things. You could be competent in sex but doesnt mean your good at it, and most likely people have had sex for more than 3 years....

Brule
10-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Brule

100 % agreed, but competent and good are 2 different things. You could be competent in sex but doesnt mean your good at it, and most likely people have had sex for more than 3 years....

ok.

Lucas
10-07-2011, 03:37 AM
You could be competent in sex but doesnt mean your good at it...

you take that back right now!:mad:

Iron_Eagle_76
10-07-2011, 06:23 AM
you take that back right now!:mad:

Just because your girlfriend told you this doesn't mean a thing! Remember man, you are a unique and special person, just like everyone else!!:p

bawang
10-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Natural ability and athletisism will be the defining character in all things training related but if you cannot train someone to be good and competently fight in three years than you are doing something wrong or the person just does not have the physical capabilities to fight.

Hell, I have seen people be able to competently fight with six months of training when trained right. There will always be a progression in a person's abilities and this falsehood that after years of training suddenly the person will be good is both a myth and a scam at best. Kung Fu, like any othere thing a person practices and works at, is a collection of skills that one gets better at over time. This does mean that the person will increase in skill and experience as years go by, but certainly does not mean it takes a decade to be able to fight and use the art.

this.

keep in mind in ming dynasty elite shock troops only took 1 year to train.

Lee Chiang Po
10-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Hi everyone, I made it through my first class last night and i loved it. I am still learning and will continue to learn. My goal is to get my black belt which will take me about 3 yrs. i am told. The instructors work one on one and makes learning alot easier. Kung fu is alot different from karate and tkd. Also i am excerseing using my total gym every other night and stretching everyday. Any advice would be greatly apperciated on how i can improve. I would also like to add that i use to have lower back pain before i started stretching and couldn't even touch my toes. I am finally taking my doctors advice on stretching and hoping someday i will be able to do the splits.

Also learn a saying last night: kung fu san soo is like a tiger in a box. I think that is correct.

Gregg

The name Total Gym means exactly what it implies. It is all you will ever need. I would use it no less than every other day. Make it count too. And daily stretching will keep your muscles fit as well. It allows them to circulate blood more readily and also strengthens them. At 51 you should not have a problem at all unless it is a style requiring you to do un-natural stuff to the body. Even young persons hurt themselves with that.
In 3 years you should be able to reach an equivilant of black belt easily. It depends on the amount of time spent at the kwoon learning. And you can also continue your learning and skill practice at home. With a good one on one program you should be cruising right along. You body is going to be the limiting factor most likely.
I am from a gung fu family. My father insisted that we train something at least 3 times every single day except on Sunday, but we still got in some training on that day as well. I was quite young when I started, but in a year I dominated the school yard. Actually in about 6 months.