PDA

View Full Version : Shin conditioning question.

phantom
03-25-2001, 10:57 PM
A kyokushinkai guy recently told me that kicking heavy bags and thai pads with your shins will not condition the upper part of your shin.It is absolutely necessary to condition this part, because that is the part that you use to block kicks. He told me a good way to condition the upper part of the shin is to get a used tire, bury the bottom half of it, wrap a linen or straw mattress around the top half, and kick away. However, I do not understand why this method is so much better than kicking bags or pads. Could somebody please explain this to me? Also, what could I use to bury the bottom half of the tire? I do not feel like digging a hole in the gound if I do not have to. Finally, if there are bruises on my shins after doing this, would rubbing them out with a rolling pin and then applying a general bruise liniment on my shins be enough to take care of this? Or would I really need to use dit da jow instead? Thank you for any advice that you could give me concerning this.

lungyuil
03-26-2001, 12:42 AM
I'd say that because of the elasticity of the tyre and the hardness would increase the effect.

However, personally i would grab a bundle of chopsticks and hit the shins with them. Also, if you do have a roller bar preferably steel wrapped in tape, roll that up and down your shins.
Because of the heaviness of the bar it will dig in more and condition the shins more. Always use the Dit Da jow.

Kicking pads is good, but i think if you want stoing shins do those techniques and they may work better for you.

If you have bruises, apply Dit Da, don't continue the conditioning as it may cause more damage.
When you dig up the hole with a shovel & pick, place the tyre and maybe cement around it, i guess. :)

fiercest tiger
03-26-2001, 12:49 AM
you can use a rubber mallet and hit the shins too.

lung yuil your teacher sounds like a knowledgable guy.... :D

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

joedoe
03-26-2001, 01:15 AM
Try practicing with a partner - start by gently kiciking to their thigh, then build power. You get a stronger shin, they get a stronger thigh :)

Emphasis on the gently bit - this can get very painful at first.

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

lungyuil
03-26-2001, 01:53 AM
yes FT, i am ever sooooo luuuuucky!!!! :D :p :)
just kidding

joedoe
03-26-2001, 04:20 AM
Hmmmmmm :)

fiercest tiger
03-26-2001, 04:32 AM
i would leave my leg out when a train would come into the platform and smash it against it. you should have seen the train, it was all f@cked up. my legs are cripple now but i had the strongest leg back then.

so always use dit dar when hitting trains with your shins. :rolleyes: :p :D :confused:

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

joedoe
03-26-2001, 06:07 AM
Yeah, well that's nothing. I once stopped a 747 during takeoff with a shin kick.

8stepsifu
03-26-2001, 07:57 AM
put on soccer shin guards and kick a tree.

then hug the tree :)

joedoe
03-26-2001, 08:55 AM
Tree-hugging hippy :)

fiercest tiger
03-27-2001, 12:57 AM
747 is nothing man! thats for beginners, i wait until a p&o cruiser comes into dock and i round house it off the wharf. usually after that the boat needs repairs, oh! dont forget to use dit dar jow..that is important too.

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

joedoe
03-27-2001, 02:00 AM
Yeah, I use dit da.

You know the Titanic? An iceberg didn't sink it :)

fiercest tiger
03-27-2001, 03:25 AM
You *******!! :)

your 5 incestors fist is the best ive ever seen!

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

joedoe
03-27-2001, 04:34 AM
ROFLMAO :D

Well, your Yau Kunt Mung ain't so bad either :)

fiercest tiger
03-27-2001, 08:30 AM
hahahaha you are the sick man of australia.

ive moved onto a jackhammer on the shin but its not as good as a steamroller which is secret high level.

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

joedoe
03-27-2001, 09:13 AM
Try an 18 wheeler.

fiercest tiger
03-27-2001, 02:12 PM
18 wheelers are used more for shoulder bashing, but you know those cranes with the demolition balls? i let it swing down, then connect with a shin kick. i do reps of about 100 each leg... :D

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

joedoe
03-27-2001, 03:03 PM
You know those huge mining tip trucks with the 6 metre high wheels? I stop them with a stomp kick, then demolish them with a single shin kick.

Always use dit da though.

BIU JI
03-27-2001, 03:43 PM
You two are abnormal!

fiercest tiger
03-27-2001, 11:25 PM
i usually warm up on those then move to high rise office building. i bring them down in a week or so, remember to use dit dar jow that is important!

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

joedoe
03-28-2001, 09:19 AM
It takes you a whole week.

You know in the movie Armageddon, they were going to get me to come in and kick the asteroid to destroy it, but they decided that people just couldn't handle watching a shin kick with that much power.

And I'd been using dit da like crazy getting ready for that scene.

BIU JI
03-28-2001, 05:17 PM
You rub it on your shins , not pour it over your weeties in ridiculous amounts.

JWTAYLOR
03-28-2001, 06:39 PM
BTW, Alex Gong recommends kicking the heavy bag. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me, and you.
JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

fiercest tiger
03-29-2001, 12:12 AM
wow thats a hard one to beat, but theres more!!

i kicked goktimus's head and busted my leg, i thought the shin was pretty tough. well there is always something alittle hard that buildings, planes, ships, trucks.....never thought the goktimus boofhead would break my leg!

i ran out of dit dar jow

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

GreyMystik
03-29-2001, 12:37 AM
did you strain your ligaments? hit him with a 'duty of care' lawsuit! hahaha
you guys are talking child's play. i once kicked a moon in my sleep... you know that asteroid belt in the solar system between the earth and mars? yeah... now you know how it got there! but seeeing as how i used the dit dar jow, my
leg is just fine.

:D

oh, and then i woke up.

joedoe
03-29-2001, 01:23 AM
That's nothing. There used to be 12 planets in the solar system before I started practicing my shin kicks.

Oh, and you know the Big Bang theory of the universe's creation. That was my shin kicking god in the head

fiercest tiger
03-29-2001, 01:41 AM
funny *******s :D ive run out of bull****!

faaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkk

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

joedoe
03-29-2001, 04:28 AM

Insynergy
03-29-2001, 01:11 PM
in the original post - you mentioned using a rolling pin to "roll out the bruises"?! not a good idea :) these injuries are caused by broken blood vessels - by massaging the area it causes more damage to the vessels, ie, more bleeding below the surface
Sorry, just covered a chapter on tissue in one of my subjects... I feel the need to exercise my newfound knowledge

joedoe
03-29-2001, 04:07 PM
Massaging bruises can often help them to disperse quicker. Dunno if using a rolling pin is any different, but massage works for me.

Jetflyer89
04-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Though this thread has turned into a joke, shin conditioning is some of the most important training a Kung Fu artist can do.

Start with a rolling pin. Take it and roll up and down each shin (do not go too high by the knee or you can seriously injure yourself). Slowly increase the pressure over a period of 3 months. This puts tiny little indents in your shin bone that slowly heal stronger and stronger. Try also taking some calcium. You will not notice a big difference, but the person who hits your shins next will.

It takes a while to do this and it can be very painful after a few days. Be careful to allow enough time to heal your shins. This is how I started and my shins have become very tough.

TenTigers
04-22-2007, 07:35 PM
In Thailand, they kick bananna trees. I live in NY, so we don't have bananna trees, so I kick a bananna.-but I use plenty of dit da jow.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rV0NoZ1PBkc

this looked interesting

Water Dragon
04-22-2007, 07:44 PM
I wonder if that works. Someone needs to try it and post the results.