PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Schools

Snoopy2000
03-26-2001, 06:33 AM
How long has everyone trained and have you stayed with the same place or Sifu?

I found this link to a place I'm thinking of joining. It's http://www.redragonkungfu.com

Snoopy :D

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. ~ Chinese Proverb

joedoe
03-27-2001, 02:07 AM
I have stayed with one style my whole MA career - 14 years. I just never felt the need to train anywhere else.

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

Ego_Extrodinaire
04-05-2001, 04:59 PM
ABandit

what style do you train? You seem to be a one master man. Some man also stay with one woman their whole life, because these men are esaily satisfied.

Maximus Materialize!

Robinf
04-05-2001, 05:52 PM
Snoopy,

That school looks fine, but the best way to find out is to call and set up an appointment to talk to the Sifu and, perhaps, they offer a free trial lesson. Check it out. Never hurts to shop, only hurts not to shop.

I shopped around, taking free trials, until I came to the school I've been with for 7 years and counting. I even teach for him.

Go to the place you feel comfortable with. That's when you'll stay there.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

inyo
04-06-2001, 03:26 PM
i have trained for 18 years ,although have been fascinated with martial arts and associated philosophies since childhood.the cultivation of ones inner character has always drawn me to the martial arts. i have lived in a few different places over the years and have checked out a nos of schools,all teaching different things.some good ,some not so good--some teachers with psuedo knowledge,some motivated by profit
("get your black belt in 2 yrs",)--- others who were just psychopathic thugs and some who had learnt from books-made up their own styles and graded themselves(10th dan)???---AND FORTUNATELY some(all asian--chinese and japanese--so far)who were and still are the real thing. they teach because the martial arts are their life and they instil in their students the true meaning/philosophy of their style and culture. i agree with robin--check out a few,participate in a class and see how it feels,go with your gut reaction and with what is comfortable.--when my daughter(now 9) started training in tae kwon do 2 years ago she desperately wanted to pass her first grading and was often comparing herself to other kids who were senior to her although in her eyes less capable.i asked her what she would rather be---a strong white belt or a weak black belt--she chose the former.-----there are many styles and teachers ,all offer something that you can learn from . as the great bruce(hallowed be thy name)lee said--"absorb what is useful-''---good luck in your training.--oossuu!!!

joedoe
04-07-2001, 10:11 AM
Ego Maximus ... oops I mean Extraordinaire. I train in Wu Chu Chuan. What about you? Still undecided on which style you are an instructor in?

How is your wheelchair going BTW, and your nurse and housekeeper Katrina I believe it was. That isn't Kartina Stearns is it?

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

Laine Nakachi
04-30-2001, 09:19 AM
Red Dragon Kung Fu School, is a good kung fu school to join and learn kung fu from.
The Sifu Chan Tai Shan is a very wellknown sifu of lama pai kung fu.His internal power is strong,I've seen him breaking wires ( steel ) while wrap around his body.It was on a video of a masters kung fu exhibition.You can get it through ESPY TV.

Take Care,
Sil Lum Kuen

Jade Mountain Eagle
05-01-2001, 09:50 PM
I have to say I have trained only for a year now, but I have decided that I want to stay with this sifu and study northern eagle claw for the rest of my martial arts training.

dunbarj01
05-02-2001, 03:48 AM
I have only stuck with the style I currently do. I once contemplated Hung gar but then thought about it and realised I had no need to change. This of course doesn't include the one judo lesson that I attended when I was 7... :rolleyes: