PDA

View Full Version : New York Hung Ga at the 2011 Lei Tai

SifuYui
10-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Larry, one of our students, fighting full contact on the Lei Tai at the 2011 Koushu Tournament. The last time he fought full contact was about 5 years ago at the Great Lakes San Da Tournament. Looooong time between fights...

Yui

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhPCnczknQE

TenTigers
10-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Great stuff, Yui!!

RWilson
10-11-2011, 07:20 AM
I do not agree with scoring pints by pushing the other person off the platform. Would he have won if it were not for this rule?

David Jamieson
10-11-2011, 07:49 AM
I do not agree with scoring pints by pushing the other person off the platform. Would he have won if it were not for this rule?

If I could get a pint every time I pushed someone off the platform, I'd totally do it!

You get a point for driving your opponent out of the ring in sumo as well. Other sports have similar rules or consequences for falling, getting taken out of or deliberately stepping out of the defined area.

RWilson
10-11-2011, 08:12 AM
If I could get a pint every time I pushed someone off the platform, I'd totally do it!

You get a point for driving your opponent out of the ring in sumo as well. Other sports have similar rules or consequences for falling, getting taken out of or deliberately stepping out of the defined area.

I am all for taking advantage of rules to win especially if a lot of money is involved.

It just seems that this rule takes away from having to use skills to win.

sanjuro_ronin
10-11-2011, 08:18 AM
I am all for taking advantage of rules to win especially if a lot of money is involved.

It just seems that this rule takes away from having to use skills to win.

What makes you think it takes no skill to push someone out of an area that are fighting to say in?

RWilson
10-11-2011, 08:24 AM
What makes you think it takes no skill to push someone out of an area that are fighting to say in?

Because I have done it and the person weighed less than I. I did by accident actually while trying to throw him. We just happened to be near the edge.

Do you think tai chi push hands requires skill as well?

TenTigers
10-11-2011, 08:46 AM
What I don't agree with is simply awarding points for causing someone to fall off the platform. If it is meant to be a Lei-Tai, then if you are off the platform, you should lose immediately. If the platform was elevated as in the past, once you fall, you're done.
It stands to reason that if you are fighting on the lei-tai, which is not elevated for obvious safety concerns,the rules should still apply as if it were.

RWilson
10-11-2011, 09:26 AM
What I don't agree with is simply awarding points for causing someone to fall off the platform. If it is meant to be a Lei-Tai, then if you are off the platform, you should lose immediately. If the platform was elevated as in the past, once you fall, you're done.
It stands to reason that if you are fighting on the lei-tai, which is not elevated for obvious safety concerns,the rules should still apply as if it were.

From a historical perspective it makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. You should lose if yOu get knocked off it then.

sanjuro_ronin
10-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Because I have done it and the person weighed less than I. I did by accident actually while trying to throw him. We just happened to be near the edge.

Do you think tai chi push hands requires skill as well?

I think you may need to re-read what you just posted.

sanjuro_ronin
10-11-2011, 09:51 AM

Let me see, fighter A causes fighter B to fall off the platform in a fight that involves:
Kicking, punching, throwing and tripping, it is full contact and has weight limits.
Which means that Fighter A caused fighter B to fall off WHILE they were fighting.
Skill is still required and it's not as if it isn't part of the rules.

ginosifu
10-11-2011, 10:15 AM

It used to be when you got pushed or fell off you lost the whole fight. Years age we went to kuo shu and fought lei tai. My classmate tripped and fell by accident. He lost the whole fight. That's when I realized you needed to guard the edge and started throwing peeps off.

If you fell off of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0H_vBCxOMk

You were probably finished.

ginosifu

TenTigers
10-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Let me see, fighter A causes fighter B to fall off the platform in a fight that involves:
Kicking, punching, throwing and tripping, it is full contact and has weight limits.
Which means that Fighter A caused fighter B to fall off WHILE they were fighting.
Skill is still required and it's not as if it isn't part of the rules.
no, my point is not that it requires Martial Arts skillz. My point is that they are recreating the lei-tai platform, but in a safer fashion.
They should still be eliminated if they are punched, kicked, thrown, slip, coaxed off by a ring girl, anything that gets them off the platform.

David Jamieson
10-11-2011, 12:47 PM
UFC awards you points for dominating the center of the octagon, that's why the line is there by the way. the guy outside gets less points in the round if he stays outside the center.

Chess rewards the player who holds the center as well.

Removing one from the field of contest is what it's all about.
Not everything ends in G&P followed by furious aggrandizement and masturbation after all. It's sport, it's a contest, you can make whatever rules you like. It's not like it's real fighting..which is done with guns. :D

sanjuro_ronin
10-11-2011, 12:51 PM
no, my point is not that it requires Martial Arts skillz. My point is that they are recreating the lei-tai platform, but in a safer fashion.
They should still be eliminated if they are punched, kicked, thrown, slip, coaxed off by a ring girl, anything that gets them off the platform.

I find your use of common sense uncalled for and will be asking for you banning.
Good day to you sir.

jo
10-11-2011, 05:29 PM
I liked it better when there was sharpened bamboo stakes all around the raised platform. It provided incentive to pay attention ;-)

- jo